Pete Carroll

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: Thoughts - Week 1
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
Not going to make a big issue out of this, but "jump around" coaches are never long term. 

Coaching based on emotion is an automatic fail in the long run.  It can't sustain. 

We ridicule Houston Nutt for his sideline histrionics, but it's a big positive for Chizik?  Yeah.  I get it. 

Chizik wasn't acting crazy, or jumping around too much.  He just looked like he certainly gave a damn about what was happening.  It was refreshing compared to what we saw last year.  As far as Trooper Taylor is concerned, he's a character, yes, but everyone from Tennessee and OK State wishes they still had him.  He's good at his job by all accounts.  So, I think your generalization of his "coaching" based on his "jumping around" is hard to prove in this case.

Houson Nutt is an assclown most of the time and acts the part.  Chizik didn't do anything this past weekend that puts him in the same catagory as Nutt, other than get his team in the "win" column.  Can't fault Nutt for that.

Two of those photos were from last year.  

Argument:  FAIL.  

Try again later.

Really?  You're funny.

If you think Tuberville was as emotional as he needed to be last year at critical times, you're lost in fantasyland.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
Chizik wasn't acting crazy, or jumping around too much.  He just looked like he certainly gave a damn about what was happening.  It was refreshing compared to what we saw last year.  As far as Trooper Taylor is concerned, he's a character, yes, but everyone from Tennessee and OK State wishes they still had him.  He's good at his job by all accounts.  So, I think your generalization of his "coaching" based on his "jumping around" is hard to prove in this case.

Houson Nutt is an assclown most of the time and acts the part.  Chizik didn't do anything this past weekend that puts him in the same catagory as Nutt, other than get his team in the "win" column.  Can't fault Nutt for that.

Really?  You're funny.

If you think Tuberville was as emotional as he needed to be last year at critical times, you're lost in fantasyland.

Pictures don't lie, dumbfuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Pictures don't lie, dumbfuck.

Ah..."dumbfuck"  ...namecalling again?  You're awesome.

Should I go find pictures and wallpaper this board with them that shows Tuberville standing there like he just pee'd himself during the bama game last year??  Or during practices where his top priority was to stand there and rub elbows with visitors?  Stop. 

Nobody said he wasn't emotional at times.  However, if you believe he was all there and as emotional as he should have been at other critical times?  You're nuts.  Period.

Go ahead and keep up the name calling.  You're a badass in THAT department at least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
The thing with emotion is, it swings both ways.  

Mike Shula got more fired up and dropped more f bombs than Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.  In 2005 emotion played us into a 9-0 start and ranked as high as 3 in the BCS.  Then we lost a tight game to LSU in overtime, and had zero emotion in the Iron Bowl.  The worst Iron Bowl defeat that I've ever witnessed, regardless of the score.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Tuberville never chewed out a ref?  Never came out on the field and berated them? 

He wasn't emotional and his players didn't have devotion to him?

OK.   Then I never saw any of the below. 

You've revised history to suit your erroneous belief and to make things into what they are not. 

Most of those pics are all from the times that Jay Jacobs tried to come on the field during the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
The thing with emotion is, it swings both ways.  

Mike Shula got more fired up and dropped more f bombs than Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.  In 2005 emotion played us into a 9-0 start and ranked as high as 3 in the BCS.  Then we lost a tight game to LSU in overtime, and had zero emotion in the Iron Bowl.  The worst Iron Bowl defeat that I've ever witnessed, regardless of the score.

Here's somebody who gets it.  Emotion can't sustain. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
Not going to make a big issue out of this, but "jump around" coaches are never long term. 

Coaching based on emotion is an automatic fail in the long run.  It can't sustain. 

We ridicule Houston Nutt for his sideline histrionics, but it's a big positive for Chizik?  Yeah.  I get it. 
I'm not saying its a positive or negative.  What I am saying if it's the way a coach is, and the players respond to it and it works then have at it.  Question though, I didn't think Chizik was all that "in your face" during the game, I only had TV to show me, but the only real animation he showed was during the bad play call.  Is this the case?  If so then what the hell are we debating, because I could give a fuck what the assistants do, IMHO they should be geared up and getting the kids ready to play the next series.  Are we talking emotions as the head coach, emotions for all coaches, or what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
Here's somebody who gets it.  Emotion can't sustain. 

He said it can go both ways.  He didn't help, or disprove your stance.

Bottom line, regardless of your sideline antics, you have to have the substance behind it.  Which was my point with Trooper.  Others have said the same thing.  He's backed up his antics with great coaching of his WR's at the same time as turning his hat backwards and jumping up and down.

I've got no problem with any of it.  Has nothing to do with being able to sustain anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
You're awesome.

Congrats.  The first thing you've gotten right in a while. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
Are we talking emotions as the head coach, emotions for all coaches, or what?

I figure he HAS to be talking about Trooper, because he was jumping around most of the game and also during Tiger Walk.  Chizik only seemed to get "intense" during the PI call...

Congrats.  The first thing you've gotten right in a while. 

OKay.....whatever.

Tell me what I've gotten wrong in this subject, since you're trying to be master of all things right and wrong?  I'm just curious...since you're awesome and all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
He said it can go both ways.  He didn't help, or disprove your stance.

Bottom line, regardless of your sideline antics, you have to have the substance behind it.  Which was my point with Trooper.  Others have said the same thing.  He's backed up his antics with great coaching of his WR's at the same time as turning his hat backwards and jumping up and down.

I've got no problem with any of it.  Has nothing to do with being able to sustain anything.

What part of "can't sustain" do you fail to understand?  If it goes both ways, then it isn't a positive thing.  

Jumping around is useless in the long run.  Coaching by emotion is a Fail.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2009, 12:59:05 PM »
You don't understand me at all.

Signed,
Pete Carroll

I thought I did.

Signed,
Steve Spurrier
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
I figure he HAS to be talking about Trooper, because he was jumping around most of the game and also during Tiger Walk.  Chizik only seemed to get "intense" during the PI call...

OKay.....whatever.

Tell me what I've gotten wrong in this subject, since you're trying to be master of all things right and wrong?  I'm just curious...since you're awesome and all.

I'm only talking about the GENERALIZED comments I've seen here that coaches were "jumping around" and "going nuts" 

My criticism is not aimed at the coaching staff because I didn't think anything went badly Saturday.  I'm only pooh-poohing the notion (as evidenced by photographs) that our coaching staff has, in the past, been statuesque and emotionless -- untrue -- and the idea that leaping about somehow translates to a "better" coach.  In the long run, it does not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
This whole argument is stupid, ALL coaches...coach by some form of emotion.  If you don't believe me then I guess you didn't watch Saban in the SEC Championship game last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

...at the past 2-3 pages.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
I'm only talking about the GENERALIZED comments I've seen here that coaches were "jumping around" and "going nuts"  

My criticism is not aimed at the coaching staff because I didn't think anything went badly Saturday.  I'm only pooh-poohing the notion (as evidenced by photographs) that our coaching staff has, in the past, been statuesque and emotionless -- untrue -- and the idea that leaping about somehow translates to a "better" coach.  In the long run, it does not.  

I don't think anyone here was taking it that far.  I don't know if Trooper Taylor is a better coach than Greg Kn...well..okay bad example...    I think people are just pleased to see the energy and excitement that these coaches seem to bring to the sidelines.  After a difficult year last year, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Nobody said the last staff was "never" emotional, or didn't get after it.  However, it CAN be said that something missing, especially after the end of last year, was positive energy and excitement.  The staff last year by year's end, HAD lost it.  

You just seem to be fighting for something nobody would disagree with you on, with the exception that Tuberville and staff maintained their energy at all times, and at critical moments last year.  They didn't.  Just didn't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:15 PM »
Should I go find pictures and wallpaper this board with them that shows Tuberville standing there like he just pee'd himself during the bama game last year??  
There certainly were, but that was pretty much a beatdown from kickoff. He could have ripped the head off of a ref and eaten it. The outcome was probably still going to be the same. But hell, you guys laughed at Saban for going apeshit on one of our backups when we were up like fifty-hojillion to -50 on Arky last year. Y'all are weird about this emotion thing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:41:43 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
There certainly were, but that was pretty much a beatdown from kickoff. He could have ripped the head off of a ref and eaten it. The outcome was probably still going to be the same.

okay...and?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
You don't understand me at all.

Signed,
Pete Carroll

Sorry, but because you personally do not like emotional coaches does not mean they aren't successful. 

Signed,

Steve Spurrier
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."