Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 1

Thoughts - Week 1
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Auburn...

- Has a quarterback that can accurately throw the ball down field.  However, Todd still needs to get rid of the ball sooner.  There's no reason to take a coverage sack especially in an offense that has a high octane pace. 

- Not unexpected, Auburn has another future legend at running back.  Onterrio McCalleb is one of the fastest players I've seen at Auburn in a long time.  He'll need to add some muscle to withstand the pounding of the SEC, but I'm excited about his career.

- Needs wide receivers.  I'm happy for Fannin and the big Zachery play.  Darvin Adams played well, but I'm still not sold on our wide receivers.  I hope this gets cleared up against Miss St.

- Darren Bates will be a superstar at safety.  He still needs to adapt to the SEC, but the kid was amazing for a true freshman. 

- Undisciplined.  I know, I know...first game jitters.  But too many penalties on defense.  I'm not going to give any excuses for this because it's inexcusable.  That needs to get fixed fast.

- Potential: Auburn looked good, but will they be able to start faster against tough opponents?  If we play the same type of game against LSU, Ole Miss, WVU, Tennessee, Georgia, or Alabama, we lose them all.  First half was not impressive due to penalties and confusion on offense.  I expect this to improve. 

Alabama...

- Just as good as last year because of the defense.  I think they'll have the best defense in the country unless McClain and company decide to thug out and get kicked out of the game. 

- Will lose a few games because of the quarterback.  Yeah, yeah...Hanks had a long catch.  Maze had a long catch.  Peak (the TE?) had a long catch.  GREAT catches that should have been touchdowns.  Julio Jones was wide open and was overthrown.  Technically, those long completions were overthrown.  He took some terrible sacks.  He made some poor reads.  He blamed it on nerves, but I think he's a liability. 

- Has an incredible running back in Mark Ingram.  He single handedly took over the game in the 4th quarter.  His strength is the key to the offense.  Upchurch is good, but I don't think he can be the main guy.

Ohio St...

- Terrell Pryor is the smoothest and most fluid athlete I think I've ever seen.  I predict he'll be in the headlines for all the wrong reasons within the foreseeable future.  Why put "Mike Vick" on your face?  And why did the announcer seriously try to say "it could be a different Mike Vick"?

- Will get blown out to USC.  Not because they struggled with Navy, but USC blows out every Big 10 team they play. 

Navy...

- Triple option would be killer on a team like Florida or USC.  Get the top talent in the country to run it, they'll be unstoppable.  It's too bad the NFL hates quarterbacks/wide receivers/lineman that are from that kind of offense.

- I haven't looked it up, but if Navy returns some of those cats, they go undefeated next year.  Maybe I'm looking too far ahead; Navy gets to 10 wins this year. 

Georgia...

- No good.  Really no good.  And I mean the offense.  Oklahoma St might have a killer offense, but their defense was nothing last year.  Joe Cox will lose their season, and Sturdivant being out almost solidifies it. 

- Will be screaming for Richt's head by the year's end.  Unwarranted, but it's going to happen.

LSU...

- Traveled 2600 miles to play a football game.  That deserves some props.  They were also well represented in the stands.  Even bigger props. 

- Will underachieve.  They have names all over the field - both offense and defense - but they couldn't blow out Washington? 

Florida...

- Overrated.  Couldn't cover the spread against Charleston Southern?  Vote them out of the top 25. 

Those are my thoughts for week 1.  Any and all complaints should be forwarded to Tim Jackson at the Auburn athletic department.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Thoughts - Week 1
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
How did McClain NOT get kicked out if that game last night? He swung on and hit a referee. He's a fucking punk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
I agree with your take on Navy. Man, I was pulling for them. LSU didn't impress me. USC will completely massacre OSU next week - I'm talking by 28 points or better.

Was the William & Mary beatdown of Virginia an upset? I don't think so. Say buh-bye to Grohe at the end of this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
How did McClain NOT get kicked out if that game last night? He swung on and hit a referee. He's a fucking punk.
Are you on crack? He did not swing on a referee. I think you need to go back and watch that again. That would probably answer your question.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:04:25 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Watch it again, dick face. He made contact with the official to his left. Should have been thrown out of the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
Watch it again, dick face. He made contact with the official to his left. Should have been thrown out of the game.
I saw it the first time.....he did not swing on a referee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »
I guess the official's shoulder knocked itself back. He's suffering from the Jimmy shoulder! McClain made contact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
I guess the official's shoulder knocked itself back. He's suffering from the Jimmy shoulder! McClain made contact.
Fine, but he DID NOT SWING ON A REFEREE. Jesus.....Two refs got between him and the VT player and he was still jaw jacking with the VT player.....I don't think his hands even ever came up. He shouldn't have done what he did, but he didn't make a swing at a ref at all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:17:31 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
My definition of "swing on a referee" is a little different than PCT's, but either way, it was a very dumb move on McClain's part.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt being this is the first time he's ever acted in that type of way, but it's not something that should be tolerated again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
Also, I disagree with THS's comment on McElroy.  The kid started bad, but it's his first ever start in college football...against one of the best defenses he'll play all year.  After a very poor start, he finished the game hitting 13 of 18 for 186 yards and a touchdown.  I think it's unfair to call him a liability after his first start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »
Also, I disagree with THS's comment on McElroy.  The kid started bad, but it's his first ever start in college football...against one of the best defenses he'll play all year.  After a very poor start, he finished the game hitting 13 of 18 for 186 yards and a touchdown.  I think it's unfair to call him a liability after his first start.
No doubt. I didn't think he was a wordbeater, but given the circumstances, he did a good job. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a liability. Room for improvement, sure. But to start against a team who has had a top 10 defense the past four seasons (two of those were #1) as your first collegiate start with 3 new starters on OL......and win, he's a liability? Hmmmm....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:37:18 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »
No doubt. I didn't think he was a wordbeater, but given the circumstances, he did a good job. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a liability. Room for improvement, sure. But to start against a team who has had a top 10 defense the past four seasons (two of those were #1) as your first collegiate start with 3 new starters on OL......and win, he's a liability? Hmmmm....
McElroy did exactly what he was supposed to do...to not lose the game.  He looked shaky at the start, but this being his first game to start, against a very fast Defense, I'd say that if he can improve...which he should, he'll be a pretty good QB this year, probably not a Heisman Candidate....because the Top 5 will be Ontarrio McCalebb, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Chris Todd and Mark Ingram.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »
McElroy did exactly what he was supposed to do...to not lose the game.  He looked shaky at the start, but this being his first game to start, against a very fast Defense, I'd say that if he can improve...which he should, he'll be a pretty good QB this year, probably not a Heisman Candidate....because the Top 5 will be Ontarrio McCalebb, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Chris Todd and Mark Ingram.
All that I can agree on, except your Heisman candidate list, and I pray that you are being sarcastic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
All that I can agree on, except your Heisman candidate list, and I pray that you are being sarcastic.

...if you had to ask, your sarcasm "meter" is in the off position. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
Nope....that's the final list with Ontarrio taking the majority of the votes.

Ontarrio - 400
Tebow - 7
Colt - 3
Todd - 2
Ingram - 1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
...if you had to ask, your sarcasm "meter" is in the off position. 
You can't ever tell with Prowler.....not my fault he says stupid shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
Also, #90 Nick Fairley has been dubbed "King Kong" by me.  He was in on just about every tackle in the game, well except for the long passes of course, and no I'm not kidding....and he started being double teamed about half way through the game.

#31 Adam Herring will be a great Auburn Linebacker, I don't give a flyin' fuck how many stars this guy has, he was flying all over the field.  Go back and watch the very first play on Defense, watch #31....he's the only white guy on Defense so it shouldn't be that hard to pick him out, lol.  That's a 285lb. lineman that he runs through.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Also, #90 Nick Fairley has been dubbed "King Kong" by me.  He was in on just about every tackle in the game, well except for the long passes of course, and no I'm not kidding....and he started being double teamed about half way through the game.

#31 Adam Herring will be a great Auburn Linebacker, I don't give a flyin' fuck how many stars this guy has, he was flying all over the field.  Go back and watch the very first play on Defense, watch #31....he's the only white guy on Defense so it shouldn't be that hard to pick him out, lol.  That's a 285lb. lineman that he runs through.
#31 is Reggie Herring's son, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »
Yes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
Added thoughts due to money-making scheduling:

Ole Miss...

- Not as good as advertised, but that's not a surprise.  What was a surprise was Snead's horrific start.  Memphis while decent is not a team to struggle against offensively especially when you're suppose to be the #8 team in the country.  

- One injured-McCluster away from being 7-5.  

- Trahan is still a beast, so is Powe.  Maybe not being able to read is a plus for linebackers.

Memphis...

- Poorly coached.  Why, you ask?  6'8 receiver going against a corner under 6'0 and you can't hit deep passes to him.  

- Good BBQ.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole