Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Foo Review

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Foo Review
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2011, 01:02:58 AM »
i wash jush a tadsh drunksh...kinds of likes nowsh.

#winning

No drinky for me tonight.  It took me until 3'ish today to get straight, it sucks getting older, it hurts more nowdays.

Now, back to the topic....I heard about Bingham a little over a year ago and to me he is legit as a singer/songwriter.  Really looking forward to going to his show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
The review today is of.....our church band.  I'm in a big Methodist church and we have enough musicians to where we can rotate people in and out every week and put together a band for that week's service.  There are quite a few top notch guys who play lead and one in particular, Greg Davis, who has been playing around the southeast all his life.  When I play, (acoustic) I just sit up there in awe, watching this guy rip it up.

Well, yesterday we had our annual spring carnival for the kids with all the blow up slides, dunking booths etc.  We always put a band together for entertainment and Greg was playing lead.  There were a few contemporary worship tunes thrown in but the first set went:

The Old Man is Down the Road - John Foggerty

Takin' Care of Business - BTO

Swingtown - Steve Miller Band

Good Love is On The Way - John Mayer Trio

Just Got Paid Today - ZZ Top

At every lead break....Greg took liberties.  Didn't know Just Got Paid sounded like that.  The kids all played.  Most of us parents got our faces rocked off.  I like our church.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
I am amazed at times that you see/hear people that are better than most of what you hear on the radio who just haven't caught that break yet or who never will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
I am amazed at times that you see/hear people that are better than most of what you hear on the radio who just haven't caught that break yet or who never will.

That's the thing.  Once you get to a certain level where you pretty much own the instrument, it becomes a matter of taste and style....and being in the right place at the right time if you want to be discovered.  There are quite a few guitar players within a mile radius of where I'm sitting..you're sitting...everywhere, who can rip it up with the best of them but....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 02:12:39 PM »
Below is a clip of a solo from Christian musician, Lincoln Brewster.  He toured with Steve Perry after he left Journey and before starting his own band.  I put him here because we played this song one Sunday and Greg was on lead.  He absolutely killed it.  In practice, I stopped playing once just to watch.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
That's the thing.  Once you get to a certain level where you pretty much own the instrument, it becomes a matter of taste and style....and being in the right place at the right time if you want to be discovered. There are quite a few guitar players within a mile radius of where I'm sitting..you're sitting...everywhere, who can rip it up with the best of them but....

Nailed it.

I have seen some bands in local places and think, how in the hell do they not have a contract and then there are bands out there and famous that I wouldn't pay a $10 cover to watch them play. 

Now to say this.  I would rather watch a band that loves what they are doing and it show, than to watch someone who is great but doesn't care. 

Example, I love some Shooter Jennings, even the wife thinks he is ok, we go to his show and him and the opening act just rock it out and you know they are having a hell of a time playing for the crowd.  We leave and I mention what a great show I thought it was to have her mention that the sound was off, you couldn't hardly hear the vocals or something to critique, but they love it and you can tell by the way they play and it makes a huge difference for me.

Another Edit: In talking the man I mentioned earlier in the thread, he said that you get tired on the road, but the day that you get so tired that when you walk out on stage and the people and the music itself don't get you going, then retire and sit at home.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:32:28 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
That's the thing.  Once you get to a certain level where you pretty much own the instrument, it becomes a matter of taste and style....and being in the right place at the right time if you want to be discovered.  There are quite a few guitar players within a mile radius of where I'm sitting..you're sitting...everywhere, who can rip it up with the best of them but....

My dad has a first cousin named Mike Duke.  He caught on with "Wet Willie" in the mid '70's as the piano player.  On albums and concerts I wouldn't notice him as much but around the house he was amazing.  He could not read sheet music at all, but if somebody started playing a song on the guitar or even humming it he would pick it up and start playing and by the 2nd verse he would be improvising and busting out riffs we had never heard before.  I think that's what really shows the great players.  I have friends who could play just about everything that SRV, Jimi Hendrix, etc ever wrote, but it is going to sound exactly the same every time.

Incidentally, Mike was also a songwriter who wrote a few hits, mostly for Huey Lewis of all people (Doin' It All For My Baby was his biggest hit).  Here's a little web page about him

http://marinnostalgia.org/Interviews/Musicians/mike_duke/mikeduke.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
Doin' it all for my baby.  Okay fine, I admit to being a Huey & teh News fan when they were popular.  Sorry, but I'd damn sure belt out a Huey tune in the car.  I sound incredible in my Ford Expedition....by myself.

One thing about most true musicians that I truly believe.  I could practice my ample backside off 5 hours a day non stop and I imagine I'd become a pretty good geetar player.  But, I'd never be able to hear it like and just pick up something like so many can do.  Most of these people really do have a gift to where they can really hear it, understand it...they get it. 

I used to take lessons from a guy here in Dothan who I would consider one of the best all around musicians I've ever been around.  My "lessons" consisted of me taking a song to him I couldn't get or knew I couldn't figure out myself.  He would literally listen to it one time, pick up the guitar and go, "Okay, there's 3 actual guitar parts going here and one has the E string tuned down to D and he's using this....".  Then he would proceed to play it and teach it to me.  He gets it.  He has that gift.

When I was talking about the church band yesterday, the bass player is a kid about 15 years old.  Easily the best bass player in that church.  Never looks at music, just hears it and figures it out.  Ran into him in a music store last week and he was tearing up an acoustic guitar.  I stood there thinking, 15 years old and more talent in his pinky than I gots in my whole body. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
Agree, you either have it or you don't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
Agree, you either have it or you don't.

I ain't got it.  Never had it.  Ain't gonna' get it.

But I enjoy listening to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
I ain't got it.  Never had it.  Ain't gonna' get it.

But I enjoy listening to it.

Same here, and love sipping on bourbon, practicing and allowing the bourbon to let me believe that I may get it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
Speaking of "you have it or you don't"  last night I was getting caught up on the DVR and had forgot that I recorded "Hendrix: An American Landing" from TV Ovation Channel.  The first 30 minutes was some interviews with people that knew Hendrix from the business and the last 30 minutes was him playing.  It was clips from the 60's that they had cleaned up the image on.  Still the same sound.  Un-freaking-real!

Played the solo to "Hey Joe" with his teeth, played part of "Wild Thing" behind his head with the guitar flipped upside down.  Played part of "Foxy Lady" with the guitar tucked underneath his leg.  Impressive that he could play that way to me.  I know it was flashy, but the sound he was getting as well......ahhh.  The most impressive part was watching how he moved up and down the fret board.  It was like it was easy to him.

My wife made the comment about it being tragic that he OD'ed.  I disagreed and told her that it wasn't tragic to me, that it was just ignorant, and it kinda pisses me off that so many have deprived the world of their gift, which is exactly what they have, by doing that.  Now Croce dying in a plane crash, Allman having a truck pull out in front of him, that is tragic.

Snaggle:  Check out Rival's Son sometime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
Speaking of "you have it or you don't"  last night I was getting caught up on the DVR and had forgot that I recorded "Hendrix: An American Landing" from TV Ovation Channel.  The first 30 minutes was some interviews with people that knew Hendrix from the business and the last 30 minutes was him playing.  It was clips from the 60's that they had cleaned up the image on.  Still the same sound.  Un-freaking-real!

Played the solo to "Hey Joe" with his teeth, played part of "Wild Thing" behind his head with the guitar flipped upside down.  Played part of "Foxy Lady" with the guitar tucked underneath his leg.  Impressive that he could play that way to me.  I know it was flashy, but the sound he was getting as well......ahhh.  The most impressive part was watching how he moved up and down the fret board.  It was like it was easy to him.

My wife made the comment about it being tragic that he OD'ed.  I disagreed and told her that it wasn't tragic to me, that it was just ignorant, and it kinda pisses me off that so many have deprived the world of their gift, which is exactly what they have, by doing that.  Now Croce dying in a plane crash, Allman having a truck pull out in front of him, SRV getting off the sauce and drugs to die in a helicopter crash, that is tragic.

Snaggle:  Check out Rival's Son sometime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »

Yes that too, there are several that could be used.....Dimebag Darell getting gunned down at a concert by a paranoid schizo would be another.    :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
My dad has a first cousin named Mike Duke.  He caught on with "Wet Willie" in the mid '70's as the piano player.  On albums and concerts I wouldn't notice him as much but around the house he was amazing.  He could not read sheet music at all, but if somebody started playing a song on the guitar or even humming it he would pick it up and start playing and by the 2nd verse he would be improvising and busting out riffs we had never heard before.  I think that's what really shows the great players.  I have friends who could play just about everything that SRV, Jimi Hendrix, etc ever wrote, but it is going to sound exactly the same every time.

Incidentally, Mike was also a songwriter who wrote a few hits, mostly for Huey Lewis of all people (Doin' It All For My Baby was his biggest hit).  Here's a little web page about him

http://marinnostalgia.org/Interviews/Musicians/mike_duke/mikeduke.html

That's why I like listening to Trey Anastacio...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »
So has Snaggle quit pimping bands?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »
So has Snaggle quit pimping bands?

Been in cheecargo til last night.  I'm back.  How bout' that Michael Buble...Boublay...Booblay fella?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
Been in cheecargo til last night.  I'm back.  How bout' that Michael Buble...Boublay...Booblay fella?

Best artist ever!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
EVAH!!!

I wouldn't take it that far.....he is Canadian.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions