Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Foo Review

Re: Foo Review
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:48:26 PM »
Speaking of new country guys.  Zac Brown's songs don't lend themselves to a lot of obvious guitar work, but check out this performance from the CMA's a couple of years back.  His whole band is good, but if you just want the meat of this video go ahead to 3:25.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
I can appreciate guitar music like that, but it can grow old on me fast.  An example is Andy McKee.  This video below blows my brain.  If I tried to listen to an entire album of it I might blow my brain out.  On the other hand I have a coworker who will listen to McKee and Tommy Immanuel for hours on end.

Yeah, I agree about McKee.  Morello's different than McKee in that he's not sitting down with a guitar and making it do everything.  McKee usually plays by himself and has the guitar be the percussion, as well as somewhat play harmony by using both hands, and generally really trying to make the guitar make different sounds.

What I meant with Morello was more in regards to distortion, messing with the capo, using various pedals and settings to mix things up with the sound, etc.  He's the guitarist for Rage Against the Machine, so he typically plays with a band; he's not doing everything by himself like McKee tries.

An example of what I mean by Morello making the guitar sound differently than what people are used to:

And an example of more "traditional" solos that display his talent:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
THIS....is what I'm talkin bout'.   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
Snaggle:  Try "Drive-By Truckers" and see what you think.   Jason Isbell is from right up the road and has since left the band.  Look up some of Jason's work as well.  He is pretty damn good, of course it could be bias, but I like their/his stuff.   Saw him a couple of weeks ago at a small bar across the state line, he knows the owner really well and a neighbor got wind of him being there, listening to him, drinking a few Fat Tires and some Makers Mark was a good night.

Side note: My wife's cousin played with them for a while (Spooner Oldham) but once he got in the hall, he pretty much has done limited touring, writing and playing.  He has some damn great stories, by great I mean about the music and musicians, not about hookers, blow, whiskey and pills.  Those are not stories you tell at family gatherings.   

Nothing spectacular, but just a good song

2:22 mark

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
Yeah, I agree about McKee.  Morello's different than McKee in that he's not sitting down with a guitar and making it do everything.  McKee usually plays by himself and has the guitar be the percussion, as well as somewhat play harmony by using both hands, and generally really trying to make the guitar make different sounds.

What I meant with Morello was more in regards to distortion, messing with the capo, using various pedals and settings to mix things up with the sound, etc.  He's the guitarist for Rage Against the Machine, so he typically plays with a band; he's not doing everything by himself like McKee tries.

An example of what I mean by Morello making the guitar sound differently than what people are used to:

And an example of more "traditional" solos that display his talent:

I should have know who Morello was.  Yeah, Rage's music is slightly different from McKee.  All the Rage albums used to have the label stating that all the sounds heard on the disc were the product of guitar, drums, bass, and voice (no synthesizers, sampling, or turntables).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
I should have know who Morello was.  Yeah, Rage's music is slightly different from McKee.  All the Rage albums used to have the label stating that all the sounds heard on the disc were the product of guitar, drums, bass, and voice (no synthesizers, sampling, or turntables).

Audioslave prided themselves on the same thing.  Given that they were a supergroup, I guess their break up was imminent, but I hated to see them go.  De la Rocha's style is fine, but having an actual singer with the band made things better in my mind.  Cochise is still one of my favorite rock songs of all time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Audioslave prided themselves on the same thing.  Given that they were a supergroup, I guess their break up was imminent, but I hated to see them go.  De la Rocha's style is fine, but having an actual singer with the band made things better in my mind.  Cochise is still one of my favorite rock songs of all time.

Speaking of Audioslave and supergroups my favorite of all time was Temple of the Dog.  The band started as a tribute to Mother Love Bone lead singer Andrew Wood (OD) and featured Chris Cornell on lead vocals (Audioslave, Soundgarden) fronting the remaining members of MLB plus a newcomer named Eddie Vedder on lead and backing vocals.  After their one album Vedder started fronting the former MLB band and became Pearl Jam.  Cornell and Vedder trading lyrics on "Hunger Strike" made it my favorite "grunge" song of all times.

And back on the main topic at hand, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) is another awesome guitar player but that's no big secret
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
On Pearl Joam, what ever happened to them as far as being relevant?  They were as hot as any band going for 2-3 years and then nothing.  I was just reading on the Wiki's that "they spent much of the past 10 years dismantling their own fame".  para.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
On Pearl Joam, what ever happened to them as far as being relevant?  They were as hot as any band going for 2-3 years and then nothing.  I was just reading on the Wiki's that "they spent much of the past 10 years dismantling their own fame".  para.

After losing their lawsuit against Ticketmaster they said they would not sell their tickets through them anymore.  So if you wanted to go see them you had show up at the door to their concert with cash in hand, knock three times and say, "Ticketmasters is the suxxors". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
Speaking of Audioslave and supergroups my favorite of all time was Temple of the Dog.  The band started as a tribute to Mother Love Bone lead singer Andrew Wood (OD) and featured Chris Cornell on lead vocals (Audioslave, Soundgarden) fronting the remaining members of MLB plus a newcomer named Eddie Vedder on lead and backing vocals.  After their one album Vedder started fronting the former MLB band and became Pearl Jam.  Cornell and Vedder trading lyrics on "Hunger Strike" made it my favorite "grunge" song of all times.

And back on the main topic at hand, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) is another awesome guitar player but that's no big secret

Another great Seattle-based supergroup is Mad Season. they put out 1 album, Above, in the mid 90s. Composed of members of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and the Screaming Trees. Mike McCready and the late Layne Staley were the big names in the band. Definitely worth a listen!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
I actually got to strum on Eddie Vedder's guitar.   Jarhead also has it on CD of Vedder calling him a pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
Another great Seattle-based supergroup is Mad Season. they put out 1 album, Above, in the mid 90s. Composed of members of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and the Screaming Trees. Mike McCready and the late Layne Staley were the big names in the band. Definitely worth a listen!

<3
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
I actually got to strum on Eddie Vedder's guitar.   Jarhead also has it on CD of Vedder calling him a pussy.

Vedder called Jarhead a pussy?  Sweet.  What was that about?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »

Vedder calls 'em likes he sees 'em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »

For not getting in a mosh pit if I remember the story correctly.....It's in the Watcha listening to? thread, that some of you have bitched about, every once in a while there is a story or discussion in there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »
For not getting in a mosh pit if I remember the story correctly.....It's in the Watcha listening to? thread, that some of you have bitched about, every once in a while there is a story or discussion in there.

Most overrated thread in history.  Foo Review...now THAT'S a thread. 

Away from the sun - 3 Doors Down

Wait...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Most overrated thread in history.  Foo Review...now THAT'S a thread. 

Away from the sun - 3 Doors Down

Wait...

wutevah!

Shouldn't Be Ashamed - Wilco
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
wutevah!

Shouldn't Be Ashamed - Wilco

Roger
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »

You are correct sir.  I've got the album ripped on MP3, if anyone would like it, please let me know.  Happened during the playing of Porch, if I remember correctly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
Years ago, I used to be heavy into Southern Rock.  Of course, I played Molly Hatchet's debut until it finally just melted on me.  One band that put out a couple of pretty hot albums was The Henry Paul Band.  I believe Paul fronted The Outlaws at one time.  Real good stuff.

Quick story from up some of you guys' way.  Many many moons ago, I was in claims with an insurance company and was handling storm claims in the Huntsville area.  Me and a buddy went out to find a watering hole and there was a Senor Frogs (I believe that was the name) right down from the hotel.  Middle of the week night and there wasn't a huge crowd.  There was a band playing some killer Southern Rock and these looked like some crusty, rode hard veterans.  Between one of the songs, the lead singer introduced the band.  He was from Marshall Tucker, the drummer (Jackson Spires) was from Blackfoot and one of the other guys was formerly with Rossington Collins.  My buddy said, "You ready to move on."

Naaa...you can go.  I think I found where I want to hang out tonight.  Waitress.... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions