Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Foo Review

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Foo Review
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Lately, I've been getting into a lot more of the Foo Fighters work and I have to say I'm coming to appreciate this band more and more.  I've always enjoyed their music, a raw and unique brand of rock, and I've bought some of their stuff over the years.  But, they've never been a "must have" for my extensive (4 old vinyl albums) music library.  Until I started checking them out a lot more in recent weeks, it just never really occurred to me how long this band has been around and how much quality work they've put out.

Dave Grohl is the obvious face of the Fighters and is the perfect rock front man.  He has an incredibly strong voice and amazing range in his vocals.  He looks to be totally comfortable as the front man, which is a huge change considering his beginnings.  The one thing that has really drawn me to their work is of all things, their videos. The band, and especially Grohl, show their versatility putting out everything from just plugging in and ripping it up as in "Rope" to a little deeper theme from years back with "Walking After You" to goofy ass comedy in "Learning How To Fly".  Certainly can't speak for Grohl but LHTF and others like it tell me he doesn't take himself too seriously and adds entertainer to his musician/artist title.

Speaking of Rope, I noted the video had a 5th member.  In checking it out, turns out this is Pat Smear, who had a stint with Nirvana and has been in and out of the Fighters over the years.  You gotta' appreciate a rock guitarist who changes his name from some unpronouncable German name to Pat Smear.  Anyway, not saying the Foo Fighters are your cup of tea or are even in my top 5.  Just a band with a huge and versatile body of work that I'm coming to enjoy more over time.

Thoughts....bands you want to pimp...and what about that band tingles your naughty parts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Foo Review
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Dude...don't go chasing waterfalls
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
Dude...don't go chasing waterfalls

Look, just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

Big TLC fan, are ya?  You're gonna' have to give a better breakdown of their music than that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
Someone here lately that I have been listening to and like (for some unknown reason, and it's not teh gheyness) is Amos Lee.  Dude just writes some good music with a good story behind the song.  A folk, bluesy, jazzy mix.  He has toured with DMB lately and that I don't like about him, but WE would love!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
and "The Band".  Have always really enjoyed their music.  Nothing that blows me away like some of the others out there, but a hell of a lot of fun to listen to when drinking insane amounts of burrbinz and bbq'ing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Quote from: Snaggletiger link=topic=13699.msg192748#msg192748
Speaking of Rope, I noted the video had a 5th member.  In checking it out, turns out this is Pat Smear, who had a stint with Nirvana and has been in and out of the Fighters over the years.  You gotta' appreciate a rock guitarist who changes his name from some unpronouncable German name to Pat Smear.  Anyway, not saying the Foo Fighters are your cup of tea or are even in my top 5.  Just a band with a huge and versatile body of work that I'm coming to enjoy more over time.
Pat Smear was in The Germs, and then the "fourth member" of Nirvana.

Was on the first two Foo albums, which were the best two.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:55:13 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Very few styles of music that I can't find something to like about it.  But my first love is straightforward, hard driving rock.  Grew up playing the guitar so I can get into just about anything that features good guitar work.  I don't care if it's country, jazz, southern rock, metal (Not a fan of teh speed metals), whatever.  I've definitely noticed that people on this board have a much wider range of musical tastes than I've been exposed to.  I'd love to hear some recommendations on some good guitar work. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Chad, I found that out last night when I googled teh Smears.  Like I said, I always liked their music to an extent but never really got into them or did any research until recently.  I think Grohl will go down as one of the all time greats before it's over.  Not that he's the greatest guitar player or writes the best lyrics...whatever. But the whole body of work is pretty awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
Very few styles of music that I can't find something to like about it.  But my first love is straightforward, hard driving rock.  Grew up playing the guitar so I can get into just about anything that features good guitar work.  I don't care if it's country, jazz, southern rock, metal (Not a fan of teh speed metals), whatever.  I've definitely noticed that people on this board have a much wider range of musical tastes than I've been exposed to.  I'd love to hear some recommendations on some good guitar work.

Hendrix and Allman.....gah!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
Hendrix and Allman.....gah!

Okay Mr. Smarty Smartpants.  Let's branch out a little bit here. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Sorry about that, I saw an opportunity to be an ass and took it.

Actually I think Zakk Wylde has some good stuff out there on teh UTubes.   Another guitarist that I think has come chops is Derek Trucks.  I don't know if you can find it, I have never searched for it and a damn good guitarist that is never talked about b/c he is country is Brad Paisley. 

John Gayer, of course you already know that one.  I like some of Dimebag's work, Hammet's work but others won't like that.   I also like Jack White's work.  John Frusciante, Dan Auerbach, and Adam Jones have some awesome stuff out there as well.  I like Damien Rice too.

The old stuff is obvious, Page (although I thought him to be a little sloppy) Hendrix, Allman, Gaines, Clapton, Beck...etc...etc...etc.

It's hard to talk about and rank guitarist b/c of the styles and genres.  Also it's hard to listen to something you don't like just to hear someone's guitar work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
It's hard to talk about and rank guitarist b/c of the styles and genres.  Also it's hard to listen to something you don't like just to hear someone's guitar work.

And what I mean by this is there are some top100 list out there by publications that I can agree with most of the picks and some I won't even take serious.  Usually one that doesn't include "Skydog" in the list but list James Hetfield, Slash and Krut Cobain in the top 10, I generally don't take serious.  Not taking away from those guys, but seriously top 10 and Allman isn't even in the top 100? PFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
I was always the same with Page.  Obviously a great, innovative guitarist, but I think you hit the nail on the head in what I've always thought.  A lot of it was too ragged and raw. 

Cry of Love is a band that I believe only put out 2 releases but the first one, "Brother" is one of the most unbelievable albums I've ever heard. Every song on there is hot.  Audley Freed was the lead guitar on that one and later joined the Black Crowes.  I highly recommend it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »
I was always the same with Page.  Obviously a great, innovative guitarist, but I think you hit the nail on the head in what I've always thought.  A lot of it was too ragged and raw. 

Cry of Love is a band that I believe only put out 2 releases but the first one, "Brother" is one of the most unbelievable albums I've ever heard. Every song on there is hot.  Audley Freed was the lead guitar on that one and later joined the Black Crowes.  I highly recommend it.

Will search and see what I can find.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard some Page that made me think "Jesus Cristo, this guy is amazing, I have heard some Page and thought, hrmm, not really clean".  Hard to rank guitarist,  mostly just go with what is pleasing to your eardrums. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
Will search and see what I can find.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard some Page that made me think "Jesus Cristo, this guy is amazing, I have heard some Page and thought, hrmm, not really clean".  Hard to rank guitarist,  mostly just go with what is pleasing to your eardrums.

You hit said nail on the head again.  It's all about personal tastes.  For instance, Cry of Love.  I don't care if 3 people or 3 million bought the CD.  I've long since worn the first one out.  It's from about 93' and has more of a southern rock feel than anything. 3 piece as far as instruments go.  Very unique guitar work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
My favorite guitar workers in the not so obvious musical genres are the country guys.  Especially Doc Watson, Jerry Reed, and for someone newer Brad Paisley (who I personally consider the John Mayer of country music; awesome guitar chops, half his songs make cheese drip from your speakers).  Also Dan Tyminski the guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station.  Hank Williams, jr. is underrated when he's sober and playing blues on his resonator.

I first saw Paisley when he first started catching on (2001) as an early act at a George Strait/Alan Jackson concert at Turner Field (10 hours of hardcore country, and Lonestar).  He played a few things that I don't really recall and then he put away his Telecaster and pulled out this beautiful vintage guitar.  I have no idea what it was but it was obviously old and looked like it must have weighed about 200 lbs.  Might have been an old Gibson from the'50's or '60's.  He played this awesome bluesy solo that led straight into "(I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver) Are the Good Times Really Over for Good" (Waylon Jennings) that had everyone standing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:05 PM »
You hit said nail on the head again.  It's all about personal tastes.  For instance, Cry of Love.  I don't care if 3 people or 3 million bought the CD.  I've long since worn the first one out.  It's from about 93' and has more of a southern rock feel than anything. 3 piece as far as instruments go.  Very unique guitar work.

Exactly, I have a neighbor that is like me, strums a little and just wishes we could be half as good as the guys we "criticize".  He is a fan of metal, Metallica, Ozzy, Slayer, Pantera, Motorhead, as am I, but he won't even talk about anyone from say 65-75.  To dismiss them b/c they are not your style is crazy, but once again, if he doesn't like it then I don't expect him to sit there and listen to it.  Obviously that era is my favorite and I would start the discussion with some of those guys.

I have two or three CD's that I will take from vehicle to vehicle so I can make sure that if I want to listen I can.  I likes what I like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »
My favorite guitar workers in the not so obvious musical genres are the country guys.  Especially Doc Watson, Jerry Reed, and for someone newer Brad Paisley (who I personally consider the John Mayer of country music; awesome guitar chops, half his songs make cheese drip from your speakers).  Also Dan Tyminski the guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station.  Hank Williams, jr. is underrated when he's sober and playing blues on his resonator.

I first saw Paisley when he first started catching on (2001) as an early act at a George Strait/Alan Jackson concert at Turner Field (10 hours of hardcore country, and Lonestar).  He played a few things that I don't really recall and then he put away his Telecaster and pulled out this beautiful vintage guitar.  I have no idea what it was but it was obviously old and looked like it must have weighed about 200 lbs.  Might have been an old Gibson from the'50's or '60's.  He played this awesome bluesy solo that led straight into "(I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver) Are the Good Times Really Over for Good" (Waylon Jennings) that had everyone standing.

All good ones imo, add Chet Atkins, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings to those in country that I think are really good at their craft.  I saw BB King and Willie Nelson in concert a couple of years ago and it was awesome.  Lucille sounded beautiful as always and that old Martin with the hole in it and duct tape holding the body together sounded damn good as had that distinct sound when I heard "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground and Whiskey River".

I heard Paisley and Steve Warner play in Nashville several years ago, in 02 or 03 and they both can play.

EDIT:  I didn't mean to say Jennings, I was actually listening to him at the time, place Haggard's name in that spot.  Merle Haggard was/is a pretty good guitarist.

Very few styles of music that I can't find something to like about it. 

Same way.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:41:32 PM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »

I'm not a big fan of most country, but I can concur with Brad Paisley.  Saw him live at a CMT Music Awards "backstage" concert (basically just a small concert with limited tickets in an area in Nashville).  It was a really weird setup...got the ticket for free from a friend in the music business in Nashville.  A bunch of big names performed, but it was literally a small grassy area somewhere near a residential area in Nashville.

At any rate, Paisley displayed amazing guitar work.

Also, not sure if this would be your style of music or not, but Tom Morello is great at what he does.  His talent is mostly displayed in less of a technical sense, and more of a "what new sounds can this guitar make," but he's damn good at it and sometimes does display more "traditional" guitar skills, especially with some of his solo work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Also, not sure if this would be your style of music or not, but Tom Morello is great at what he does.  His talent is mostly displayed in less of a technical sense, and more of a "what new sounds can this guitar make," but he's damn good at it and sometimes does display more "traditional" guitar skills, especially with some of his solo work.

I can appreciate guitar music like that, but it can grow old on me fast.  An example is Andy McKee.  This video below blows my brain.  If I tried to listen to an entire album of it I might blow my brain out.  On the other hand I have a coworker who will listen to McKee and Tommy Immanuel for hours on end.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.