Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

JR4AU

Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
Nutt: 10 Years   75-48   Avg: 7.5/4.8  - so lets just say he averaged an 8-5 season while at Arky. They finished first or tied for first in the West 3 times, and finished last NOT once. 8 Bowl Invites in 10 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks (Back to 2002): #36, #31, #27, #24, #22, #28, #26 - Avg #27

Petrino: 2 years   13-12  Avg: 6.5/6 - so lets say this is a 6-6 avg season so far at Arky.  Two 4th place finishes in the SEC West. 1 bowl game in 2 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks: #49, #16 - Avg #33

So Nutt sustained an 8 win avg, finished 1st in the West 30% of the time, 80% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 27th (About the same as Va Tech meaning the talent was NOT void, no excuse).

Petrino is sitting at a 6 win avg, with 2 4th place finishes, 50% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 33rd.

SO FAR....why exactly all the bashing of Nutt and praising of Petrino? I don't see the huge hype surrounding Petrino here. On paper, Nutt has every advantage.

It may be a bit of a small sample to compare Petrino's 2 years to Nutt's 10.  But you hit on something I was researching with Nutt's avg. crootin' class rank which tends to prove my theory about Ark being Ark, and what their potential is.  

Ark's avg class rank under Nutt 27.  Ark's lifetime winning percentage .591, which puts them at 29th.  http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1869&end=2009&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

By comparison...

Auburn's is #16 on that all time winning % list at .627, and from 2002-2010, our crootin' class avg rank was 12.3.  

Obviously you can find schools that break the rules, or are currently or have in the past broken the trends...but on the whole the avg is the avg, and the crootin' class avg will basically lead you to the final ranking avg.

Another "avg" to look at.  Composite ranking avg. of all the polls since 1993.  (That's generally considered "modern" times since that's when the 85 scholarship limit started)

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/historical_composite_rank.html

Auburn #18, Ark #39.

Those that pimp Ark. as having all this potential...I'd love to see some evidence to support that other than your opinion, because history doesn't bear it out.  Like Nutt or hate him, you can't argue with the fact that he kept Ark at or near it's historical high end average in both recruiting, winning %, and rankings.  

If you go here, and plug in the years you want to see, by era, or on the whole, you'll see where Ark ranks historically.   http://football.stassen.com/records/compute-request.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

It may be a bit of a small sample to compare Petrino's 2 years to Nutt's 10.  But you hit on something I was researching with Nutt's avg. crootin' class rank which tends to prove my theory about Ark being Ark, and what their potential is.  

Ark's avg class rank under Nutt 27.  Ark's lifetime winning percentage .591, which puts them at 29th.  http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1869&end=2009&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

By comparison...

Auburn's is #16 on that all time winning % list at .627, and from 2002-2010, our crootin' class avg rank was 12.3.  

Obviously you can find schools that break the rules, or are currently or have in the past broken the trends...but on the whole the avg is the avg, and the crootin' class avg will basically lead you to the final ranking avg.

Another "avg" to look at.  Composite ranking avg. of all the polls since 1993.  (That's generally considered "modern" times since that's when the 85 scholarship limit started)

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/historical_composite_rank.html

Auburn #18, Ark #39.

Those that pimp Ark. as having all this potential...I'd love to see some evidence to support that other than your opinion, because history doesn't bear it out.  Like Nutt or hate him, you can't argue with the fact that he kept Ark at or near it's historical high end average in both recruiting, winning %, and rankings.  

If you go here, and plug in the years you want to see, by era, or on the whole, you'll see where Ark ranks historically.   http://football.stassen.com/records/compute-request.html

Yeah - Petrino being there only 2 years does provide a very small sample but it is all we have to go on. Until his avgs and stats creep to Nutt's level, I say make him earn it.

Agree on the historical figures. Looking at what Arky has done throughout history, Nutt did NOT underachieve. He got a ton out of the players he had. He was always good for the occasional upset as well (including US more times than not).  I do think unless he pulls some magic out of his ass, that Ole Piss is in for a rough one this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
Nutt: 10 Years   75-48   Avg: 7.5/4.8  - so lets just say he averaged an 8-5 season while at Arky. They finished first or tied for first in the West 3 times, and finished last NOT once. 8 Bowl Invites in 10 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks (Back to 2002): #36, #31, #27, #24, #22, #28, #26 - Avg #27

Petrino: 2 years   13-12  Avg: 6.5/6 - so lets say this is a 6-6 avg season so far at Arky.  Two 4th place finishes in the SEC West. 1 bowl game in 2 seasons. Rivals Class Ranks: #49, #16 - Avg #33

So Nutt sustained an 8 win avg, finished 1st in the West 30% of the time, 80% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 27th (About the same as Va Tech meaning the talent was NOT void, no excuse).

Petrino is sitting at a 6 win avg, with 2 4th place finishes, 50% bowl appearance rate, Rivals Class Avg of 33rd.

SO FAR....why exactly all the bashing of Nutt and praising of Petrino? I don't see the huge hype surrounding Petrino here. On paper, Nutt has every advantage.
Petrino did well at Louisville. That's the hype in a nutshell. To Some Arky fans, he is their Saban based on Louisville. Some believe that it will translate over. To an extent, it might. But I really really don't see Petrino having the same type of success at Arkansas. Again, recruiting at the level he is recruiting simply isn't going to cut it in the SEC. It might be OK if you're looking for that 6-8 win and finishing in the middle-lower pack of the SECW.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
Yeah - Petrino being there only 2 years does provide a very small sample but it is all we have to go on. Until his avgs and stats creep to Nutt's level, I say make him earn it.

Agree on the historical figures. Looking at what Arky has done throughout history, Nutt did NOT underachieve. He got a ton out of the players he had. He was always good for the occasional upset as well (including US more times than not).  I do think unless he pulls some magic out of his ass, that Ole Piss is in for a rough one this year.

We've heard from the Nutt haters about him winning with "other coach's players", taking over teams "loaded with talent".  Orgeron got lots of props for his crootin' savvy.  I'll go back even further...

Ole Miss crootin rankings:
2002: 33
2003: 38
2004: 30
2005: 30
2006: 15
2007: 27
2008: 29
2009: 18
2010: 18

You can quibble over who gets credit for a crootin' class during a transition, but the bottom line is this...Orgeron didn't leave Nutt with anything special by Ole Miss standards, and that was shown not only in crootin' rankings, but on the field with Orgeron's record.  Nutt, it would appear, is a better recruiter than Orgeron, at least where Ole Miss is concerned.  

Ole Miss, 49th on the composite ranking poll since 1993.  Nutt's 2 seasons finished 22, 25.  Not coincidentally, their 2nd and 3rd highest final rankings during that time period...they finished 17th in Eli Manning's Sr. year.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »
Petrino did well at Louisville. That's the hype in a nutshell. To Some Arky fans, he is their Saban based on Louisville. Some believe that it will translate over. To an extent, it might. But I really really don't see Petrino having the same type of success at Arkansas. Again, recruiting at the level he is recruiting simply isn't going to cut it in the SEC. It might be OK if you're looking for that 6-8 win and finishing in the middle-lower pack of the SECW.

At L'ville, he had the ability to get the best Conf. USA and/or Big East Talent.  At Ark, he doesn't have the ability to load a team.  It's relative.  If you can coach, you can coach.  The fact he won at L'ville says he can coach, and it says that when he's on equal footing with those around him he can lure the best available talent too.  At Ark. he's not on equal footing in the recruiting wars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
At L'ville, he had the ability to get the best Conf. USA and/or Big East Talent.  At Ark, he doesn't have the ability to load a team.  It's relative.  If you can coach, you can coach.  The fact he won at L'ville says he can coach, and it says that when he's on equal footing with those around him he can lure the best available talent too.  At Ark. he's not on equal footing in the recruiting wars.

Right - I was just using Arky for both to get an "apples to apples" argument.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Petrino did well at Louisville. That's the hype in a nutshell.

There was a brief stint in Auburn, if anyone cares to recall that as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »

I thought the plane came back without him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
I thought the plane came back without him?

Yes, but there were some motherfuckin snakes on that motherfuckin plane.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »

Not as a HC, but you knew that.  I think Petrino is probably a damn fine coach.  At A place like Auburn, UGA, bammer, UF, UT, LSU, I'd expect him to be in Atlanta on a regular basis, but not at Ark.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
Not as a HC, but you knew that.  I think Petrino is probably a damn fine coach.  At A place like Auburn, UGA, bammer, UF, UT, LSU, I'd expect him to be in Atlanta on a regular basis, but not at Ark.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »

Got it.

I think you're going to be proven wrong, but we're all entitled to be wrong now and again.  Hell, I once argued on woopig that Kenny Irons was a better running back than Darren McFadden.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
Got it.

I think you're going to be proven wrong, but we're all entitled to be wrong now and again.  Hell, I once argued on woopig that Kenny Irons was a better running back than Darren McFadden.
:civic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
Got it.

:haha:

And you're betting it's me that will be proven wrong?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »

Yes.  I am.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »

Was thinking the same thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »
Yes.  I am.

If I was a chic your confidence would probably be sexy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »
If I was a chic your confidence would probably be sexy. 

Oh just admit it: You're moist right now, aren't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Who among the Bama teams (bof of yall) have kept a coach for 10 years with a 50% conference record? Nutt is run of the mill and should have been fired at least 3 years earlier. He had already shown what he was by then.
If Petrino stays 10 years, there is no doubt in my mind that he will easily surpass Nutt's mark. 50% is not a very high bar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Who among the Bama teams (bof of yall) have kept a coach for 10 years with a 50% conference record? Nutt is run of the mill and should have been fired at least 3 years earlier. He had already shown what he was by then.
If Petrino stays 10 years, there is no doubt in my mind that he will easily surpass Nutt's mark. 50% is not a very high bar.

It's relative...at Auburn or Alabama, since you asked about those two, a 50% SEC record will not work for long.  At Ark. it's, historically speaking, about the mark.  As I've stated...if you're a Nutt hater, and believe he's mediocre or didn't coach up to standars, you must start with the premise that Ark. is on equal footing with AU, Bammer, LSU, etc.  I say they're not, and I have history to back my opinion.  You say they are, and have hopes and dreams to back yours.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions