Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Who among the Bama teams (bof of yall) have kept a coach for 10 years with a 50% conference record? Nutt is run of the mill and should have been fired at least 3 years earlier. He had already shown what he was by then.
If Petrino stays 10 years, there is no doubt in my mind that he will easily surpass Nutt's mark. 50% is not a very high bar.
Is it really that difficult to understand that Arkansas is not the same as UA, AU, UF, LSU, etc?

I'm not saying I would pick him over Saban. I'm saying if I had to pick between Petrino or Nutt, I would go with Nutt. He has been in the SEC for 10 years, and knows his way around it. Relative to Arkansas, Nutt is about as good as it gets. I'm not saying Petrino is the worst coach in the history of the SEC. I'm just saying that I don't think that he thinks "big" enough to make a run in the SEC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
Is it really that difficult to understand that Arkansas is not the same as UA, AU, UF, LSU, etc?

I'm not saying I would pick him over Saban. I'm saying if I had to pick between Petrino or Nutt, I would go with Nutt. He has been in the SEC for 10 years, and knows his way around it. Relative to Arkansas, Nutt is about as good as it gets. I'm not saying Petrino is the worst coach in the history of the SEC. I'm just saying that I don't think that he thinks "big" enough to make a run in the SEC.

Nothing of what I've said has been to impune Petrino.  I mean, if you're going to fire a good HC, Petrino would be a good candidate to fill the job, or even a good choice to fill the job before you fire the coach...anyway...

I don't know what "doesn't think big enough" means...I think Petrino will prove to be good...but there's a ceiling at Ark. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
Since Nutt's regime and counting Petrino's 2 years. Alabama leads us 7-5.
We lead Auburn 7-5. So yes, I'd say at this point in time that we are right there with yall both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »

Granted you have to consider the source, but I heard Finebaum saying that he's not been impressed with Bobby Johnson at Vanderbilt...standard rips: "What's he proven there?"  Uh, they'd not had a fucking winning season at Vanderbilt since nineteen eighty fucking two until Johnson did it in 2008.  Geez!  Some programs are self limiting, some by choice like Vandy, some by circumstance like Ark.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »
Since Nutt's regime and counting Petrino's 2 years. Alabama leads us 7-5.
We lead Auburn 7-5. So yes, I'd say at this point in time that we are right there with yall both.

There's another way to measure that...in that time each have visited Atl. 2 times...Ark., Bammer and AU have SEC titles, and one NC.  Ark...nada.  But it does prove that Nutt managed to keep Ark at a high level...for Ark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:42 PM »
There's another way to measure that...in that time each have visited Atl. 2 times...Ark., Bammer and AU have SEC titles, and one NC.  Ark...nada.  But it does prove that Nutt managed to keep Ark at a high level...for Ark.
A more recent guidepost. Just since Petrino has been at Arkansas.
We are 0-2 versus Alabama. We are 2-0 versus Auburn. Yall are 0-2 versus Alabama.
I'd think you would be wishing back for the Nutt days. At least you won half of your games versus Nutt.
I can take the Bama crowing because they are on top right now. I don't understand your dissing us when the record shows that yall are behind us lately.
That dig about us being tied for last in the SECW last year? You realize who we were tied with don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
I went to my first Razorback game 50 years ago this coming fall. I am as excited about this team and this coach as I have been in a long time.
I like Bobby Petrino's work ethic and his knowledge of the game. He is recruiting players coast to coast that would have never given Houston Nutt a second look. Our 10 year series with Texas A&M in Jerryworld will give us great exposure in the state of Texas.
Texas was one of our main recruiting grounds in the past, but for the last decade very few chose to play for the Hooty. This is starting to turn back around. Nutt wanted Ryan Mallett to play tight end which is why he went to Michigan initially. Petrino didn't really recruit many players his first year at Arkansas because he honored the committments of the kids that Nutt had signed before he left. Very few of those contribute and more than a few have drug up since then. Petrino got the likes of Cobi Hamilton in his first real recruiting year. Look for him. He has a number/name on the back of his jersey. He played as a true freshman.
Yall are right, I don't like Nutt very much. I was in Fayetteville for one year the same time he was until he slunk off in the middle of the night to go to Okie State.
He is not near the coach that Chizik is and Chizik at least knows to surround himself with competent folks and allows them to do their job. Nutt only hires yes men and scapegoats. Got to keep some scapegoats around in case things go sour. Look for the axe to swing in Oxford after this season.
Arkansas has spent the money on facilities, the stadium, etc. for several years. A good coach was our missing piece and Bobby Petrino fell in our lap and loves it up in the hills. I think he'll be there for a while.
I love the SEC. To be the best, you have to play the best. There hasn't been a real dynasty in the SEC for a while. Maybe 2-3 years and a drop off from any team. Alabama is the king of the hill in the west right now, but that is not a tenured position. They are going down. I think it is this year because of their defensive losses. That's what wins games in the SEC.
I could see Auburn, Bama and us all being 6-2 or 7-1 in the west with the tiebreaker in effect.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:53:12 PM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
Bobby Petrino is a competitive MF. He's seen that Saban got the gold ring in year 3. That's what he is shooting for. I love it. Versus what we used to have.
Fuck Nutt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »
I'm saying if I had to pick between Petrino or Nutt, I would go with Nutt

They put that intelligence blocker hormone in the gubment cheeses. Look it up on teh innerwebs. It's there.
They don't really use tinfoil hats. Houndstooth trucker hats have the same results.
As long as it says NCAA, it don't make a fuck if it was made in Pakistan. They have Realtree there, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »
A more recent guidepost. Just since Petrino has been at Arkansas.
We are 0-2 versus Alabama. We are 2-0 versus Auburn. Yall are 0-2 versus Alabama.
I'd think you would be wishing back for the Nutt days. At least you won half of your games versus Nutt.
I can take the Bama crowing because they are on top right now. I don't understand your dissing us when the record shows that yall are behind us lately.
That dig about us being tied for last in the SECW last year? You realize who we were tied with don't you?

you cherry pick whatever you feel supports your hopes and dreams, Ill go with history...all of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »
     Just rolled into Little Rock to help close up my grandma's house and try to get a little vacation time in,  logged in and caught up on this epic.  I am just down the street from War Memorial stadium, where at different times as kids Houston Nutt and I both sold cokes to get to watch Razorback games for free.  Thought I better add my two cents on HDN  and Petrino to this marathon.
     A lot of Arkansas fans hate HDN with a passion.  I understand why he had to go and I am happy to have Petrino, but those who hate HDN have very short memories.  This is what I remember:
     When Arkansas moved to the SEC, we were down in Football and good in other sports.  Nolan and Hawgball took the SEC by storm, changing the face of college basketball.  But we got our butt kicked for several years on the football field, and were generally outmanned and outcoached.  Danny Ford came in, understood the problem, and went about correcting it.  He recruited good players and built an SEC caliber team, as seen by his SEC West Championship and our first trip to Atlanta (or was it still Birmingham) in 95.  But he was an old school coach, and didn't really provide a lot of inspiration.
     Before HDN came in in 98, we were actually removing seats in Fayetteville because we couldn't sell them (the south end zone seats were taken out and a grass berm was installed).  Attendance averaged about 40k.  Most people didn't care much about Arkansas football, all the kids in High School wanted to play basketball.  Arkansas high schools didn't even have spring football.  HDN changed that.  He came in and made it exciting again. 
     His 8 game run to start the 98 season was an aboslute  blast.  I sat with Saniflush at the 'bama game that year and watched as we just destroyed them.  To this day I remember how hearbroken I was over the loss to Tenn on Clint Stoerner's fumble.  It was HDN who went to the Arkansas Activities Association, told them he couldn't be successfull in the SECin the long run unless they started HS spring football.  He went to the razorback clubs, which Danny Ford hated, and talked until he was hoarse about the hogs. He got everyone excited again to the point we had to expand the stadium.  For those things, I will always be thankful he was here.

Moving to the present, I think Petrino is building a good team. And please don't hit me back with a lot of recruiting rankings.  I know you guys live and die by the star counts, but I just don't think they are that important. I think we've got a chance to be really good this year.  Someone asked earlier what will be different this year, I think the main thing will be our defensive secondary.  Last year we lost our best cornerback in Fall camp, and had to move our best safety over to corner to fill in.  This year, Isaac Madison is back at corner, meaning we can move our free safety back where he belongs.  Obviously we have to go out and prove it on the field.  We'll see what happens.  I hope the Alabama coaches and players are writing us off as easily as the fans are.

One other note, I'm not sure if you guys were just busting titz's chops, but if you really think Arkansas should be lumped into the bottom of the conference with the Miss schools, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, then you haven't been paying attention.  Arkansas has taken three trips to the title game, those four schools only have 1 trip between them.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
you cherry pick whatever you feel supports your hopes and dreams, Ill go with history...all of it.
Auburn started playing football in 1892 and has won 689 games since then. That averages out to 5.838 wins per season.
Arkansas started playing a couple of years later and has won 659 games. That averages out to 5.68 wins per season.
I'd say we are pretty close.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2010, 10:02:12 AM »
     Just rolled into Little Rock to help close up my grandma's house and try to get a little vacation time in,  logged in and caught up on this epic.  I am just down the street from War Memorial stadium, where at different times as kids Houston Nutt and I both sold cokes to get to watch Razorback games for free.  Thought I better add my two cents on HDN  and Petrino to this marathon.
     A lot of Arkansas fans hate HDN with a passion.  I understand why he had to go and I am happy to have Petrino, but those who hate HDN have very short memories.  This is what I remember:
     When Arkansas moved to the SEC, we were down in Football and good in other sports.  Nolan and Hawgball took the SEC by storm, changing the face of college basketball.  But we got our butt kicked for several years on the football field, and were generally outmanned and outcoached.  Danny Ford came in, understood the problem, and went about correcting it.  He recruited good players and built an SEC caliber team, as seen by his SEC West Championship and our first trip to Atlanta (or was it still Birmingham) in 95.  But he was an old school coach, and didn't really provide a lot of inspiration.
     Before HDN came in in 98, we were actually removing seats in Fayetteville because we couldn't sell them (the south end zone seats were taken out and a grass berm was installed).  Attendance averaged about 40k.  Most people didn't care much about Arkansas football, all the kids in High School wanted to play basketball.  Arkansas high schools didn't even have spring football.  HDN changed that.  He came in and made it exciting again. 
     His 8 game run to start the 98 season was an aboslute  blast.  I sat with Saniflush at the 'bama game that year and watched as we just destroyed them.  To this day I remember how hearbroken I was over the loss to Tenn on Clint Stoerner's fumble.  It was HDN who went to the Arkansas Activities Association, told them he couldn't be successfull in the SECin the long run unless they started HS spring football.  He went to the razorback clubs, which Danny Ford hated, and talked until he was hoarse about the hogs. He got everyone excited again to the point we had to expand the stadium.  For those things, I will always be thankful he was here.

Moving to the present, I think Petrino is building a good team. And please don't hit me back with a lot of recruiting rankings.  I know you guys live and die by the star counts, but I just don't think they are that important. I think we've got a chance to be really good this year.  Someone asked earlier what will be different this year, I think the main thing will be our defensive secondary.  Last year we lost our best cornerback in Fall camp, and had to move our best safety over to corner to fill in.  This year, Isaac Madison is back at corner, meaning we can move our free safety back where he belongs.  Obviously we have to go out and prove it on the field.  We'll see what happens.  I hope the Alabama coaches and players are writing us off as easily as the fans are.

One other note, I'm not sure if you guys were just busting titz's chops, but if you really think Arkansas should be lumped into the bottom of the conference with the Miss schools, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, then you haven't been paying attention.  Arkansas has taken three trips to the title game, those four schools only have 1 trip between them.

I wouldnt lump you guys in with them. To me Arky is kind of on their own little island in the middle of the SEC.

To me you have: AL, UF, UT

Then: GA, LSU, AU

Then: Arky

Then: Miss, MSU, Vandy, Kentucky, SC

And I think you hit the nail on the head in your assessment of Nutt. I didnt even know what Arky FB was before him. The combo of him at Arky and Tubs at Auburn was bad for us. Tubs never got over his affliction with Arky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

boartitz

« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
I think UT should be voted off that island.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
Auburn started playing football in 1892 and has won 689 games since then. That averages out to 5.838 wins per season.
Arkansas started playing a couple of years later and has won 659 games. That averages out to 5.68 wins per season.
I'd say we are pretty close.

winnig % says the diff is top 20 vs not top 25, FWIW.  

I agree w hogwally, and GH on Nutty and Ark place in the pecking order.  Ark is a program that teeters on the precipice...a couple of players like McFadden and Jones make them elite, the lack of a key player or two and the can fall down to the bottom...most years theyre a solid mid tier SEC team. Nutt did what could be done.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
I think UT should be voted off that island.
I was thinking the same thing. How the hell do you put them up there? I would even put another lower tier just for Vandy and probably UK.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. How the hell do you put them up there? I would even put another lower tier just for Vandy and probably UK.

The whole "tier" thing is flawed. Are we talking historically? Or present? UF hasn't always been top tier. At all. Matter of fact, up until the 80's when a guy by the name of Emmit Smith played, they weren't shit. They were decent then, but then Spurrier had some success in the 90's. They struggled again when he left till The Corch and Jesus himself teamed up.

In addition, Alabama has struggled until 2 years ago to be relevant after 30 or so years of mediocrity. They had a winning season here or there but I wouldn't place them on a top tier at that time either.

In my opinion, the SEC has several teams that can play up to that "Top Tier" caliber for stretches. UT, UGA, UA, AU, UF...even Ole Miss and Miss. St.  can have some decent years. In my opinion, that is what makes the SEC tough. There are a lot of teams that can beat you in any given year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
The whole "tier" thing is flawed. Are we talking historically? Or present? UF hasn't always been top tier. At all. Matter of fact, up until the 80's when a guy by the name of Emmit Smith played, they weren't shit. They were decent then, but then Spurrier had some success in the 90's. They struggled again when he left till The Corch and Jesus himself teamed up.

In addition, Alabama has struggled until 2 years ago to be relevant after 30 or so years of mediocrity. They had a winning season here or there but I wouldn't place them on a top tier at that time either.

In my opinion, the SEC has several teams that can play up to that "Top Tier" caliber for stretches. UT, UGA, UA, AU, UF...even Ole Miss and Miss. St.  can have some decent years. In my opinion, that is what makes the SEC tough. There are a lot of teams that can beat you in any given year.

Although UF is a Johnny come lately to the SEC scene, I think 3 NCs in the last 20 years puts them squarely in the top tier.  UT, while down now, is part of the old guard...they won't stay down.  No way you can put Ole Miss or MSU in the top tier.  They are however the types of programs that can and do beat the top teams at times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »

Good grief....you show your youth at times. Go look at some historical stats and tell me that UT is not a top tier SEC team. Wins, SEC titles, NC's.....do you seriously judge the SEC historically using only "recent" data? UT has a very storied history whether you like it or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
Good grief....you show your youth at times. Go look at some historical stats and tell me that UT is not a top tier SEC team. Wins, SEC titles, NC's.....do you seriously judge the SEC historically using only "recent" data? UT has a very storied history whether you like it or not.

Ok, that's what I was thinking...can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't say it like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions