Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

FIFA

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
FIFA
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
So how many of you sorry saps are watchin some soccer today? I am. I'm not a a big fan of soccer really but since we're playing the Bobby Brits today, I figured what the hell. I can stand it every once while, say FIFA or Olympics but not other than that. I will tell you this, these phukers gots to be in some good shape. So far, its
1-1 and the Brits gave up one easy ass shot after getting a goal in the first minute of play. Oh by the way, please hurry CFB!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: FIFA
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
I'm watching....just checking out the X during halftime...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
I'm watching....just checking out the X during halftime...

It seems to be pretty good match. The US goalie got the shit kicked outta him in the 1st.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
Not watching.  Don't care. 

The only reason I would tune in to soccer is if we were winning the championship (cup...whatever), and I would be able to see the looks on all of the world's faces as the U S of MotherFuckin' A took away the last thing they had going for them.   

I'd be like  :haha:, and then I'd be like  :bc:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »
Not watching.  Don't care. 

The only reason I would tune in to soccer is if we were winning the championship (cup...whatever), and I would be able to see the looks on all of the world's faces as the U S of Motherphukin' A took away the last thing they had going for them.   

I'd be like  :haha:, and then I'd be like  :bc:

Thats sort of what I am tuning in to the US vs Brit match.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
And its a tie 1-1. What the hell does that even mean now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
We hadn't scored against England in a world event since 1950.  

It WAS kind of a big deal from a pure love of sports perspective.   I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I could appreciate what was behind this match, and the world cup itself.

A tie is good.  It'll come down to what the records are vs. the other two teams in the group.  At least they don't lose to England.  The top 2 teams advance, and if the records are same, they'll go to number of offensive goals scored to break the tie.

It's a win for both teams this early.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
And that's why I can't get into soccer.

A tie is good?  Really?  Lame.

Also, everytime I watch soccer, I see a bunch of guys kicking a ball around trying to get a shot at the goal through a small window.  There's a lot of clutter.  A lot of misdirection.  But occasionally...just occasionally...someone gets a good shot.  However, most of the time, that good shot goes too far right or too far left or sails over the goal. 

Then, in the rarest of rares, a player gets a kick that just so happens to go at the goal.  It then has a small chance of getting past the goalie and going into the net for a goal.  The crowd goes ballistic. 

You know what that looks like to me?  Luck.  It looks like the scoring team got damned lucky to get the ball into the net. 

I don't know; maybe it's just me.  I can't get into it.  There's very little structure, and to me, it's comparable to watching a basketball game on a large court where nobody knows how to shoot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
when I saw the title to this thread I thought someone had just gotten a new poodle.......or maybe a Chihuahua.

Soccer sucks unless the women start taking their shirts off and someone is giving me free whisky.... I will do or watch pretty much anything if nude women and free booze is involved.

:bar:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:29:29 PM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Birmingham

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Yes a tie is a big deal.  Let me explain. 

There's 4 teams in a group.  Each team plays each other.  You get 0 points for losing, 1 point for a tie and 3 points for a win.  The top 2 teams move on to the next round which is sudden death from then on.  After today we were supposed to have 0 points and England was supposed to have 3 points.

We essentially took two points from England and gained a point for ourselves.  We're favored over the other two teams in our group so this is really looking like USA is going to make it through to the sudden death part of the World Cup.  The US really won this game 1-1 if that makes since. 

And also, our goaltender is the tits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »
Yes a tie is a big deal.  Let me explain. 

There's 4 teams in a group.  Each team plays each other.  You get 0 points for losing, 1 point for a tie and 3 points for a win.  The top 2 teams move on to the next round which is sudden death from then on.  After today we were supposed to have 0 points and England was supposed to have 3 points.

We essentially took two points from England and gained a point for ourselves.  We're favored over the other two teams in our group so this is really looking like USA is going to make it through to the sudden death part of the World Cup.  The US really won this game 1-1 if that makes since. 

And also, our goaltender is the tits.

No it doesn't make any sense.  Sports weren't created by Milton Bradley. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
No it doesn't make any sense.  Sports weren't created by Milton Bradley. 

It makes sense to the entire world but not to you.  I'm not surprised by that nor am I surprised that you think it's everyone else that's wrong.  You're 1000-1 the minority on this and you're telling the 1000 their game doesn't make sense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »
For the record I've never gotten in to soccer before.  I asked myself why the entire world gets together for this event, more than any other sports event.  There had to be more to it than I had given it credit for in the past.  I learned the structure of the tournament and it did a lot for me being able to invest interest.  The only soccer players whose name I know is Mia Hamm and that chick that ripped her shirt off 10 or so years ago.  I can relate to the rest of the world acting like I do on Saturdays when it's college football season.  

Just saying its stupid is the same damn thing as your wife saying football's stupid and not understanding why you spend your Saturdays in front of a t.v.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:13:50 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 11:19:42 PM »
It makes sense to the entire world but not to you.  I'm not surprised by that nor am I surprised that you think it's everyone else that's wrong.  You're 1000-1 the minority on this and you're telling the 1000 their game doesn't make sense. 

I don't buy the "well the whole world likes it!" argument.  What else would the world partcipate in?  It just so happens to be the one major sport that has been around for a long time in most of those countries.

That's like saying I should love track and field and not criticize any of it because the Olympics are globally popular every four years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
I don't buy the "well the whole world likes it!" argument.  What else would the world partcipate in?  It just so happens to be the one major sport that has been around for a long time in most of those countries.

That's like saying I should love track and field and not criticize any of it because the Olympics are globally popular every four years. 

I have to agree w B'ham here. Soccer is the shit for every country around the world but the US. Like I said before, I don't really get into soccer but I don't mind a little World Cup or Olympic soccer; sort of like watching hockey. I use to not pay either any attention. What the hell its not like its CFB season anyway and there aint shit on TV.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »

Are you drunk or something?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
Are you drunk or something?  

Actually yes.  I just got back from a wedding. 

But fuck soccer and you know it!  I know all the points have been reiiterated throughout the thread, but we all know that soccer is the one sport they have.  Basketball has made some noise lately.  And it'll be bigger soon.  Then maybe they'll stop going so crazy over "kick the ball around" games while doing their best impressions of bumble bees in the stands. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

Who said you had to love it?  I'm just pointing out that you your opinion of it is likely wrong.  You equate it to a game with little structure and a basketball game in which no one knows how to shoot.  I'm saying there's a reason this is the most popular sport on this planet and there's a reason why most every human is more passionate about this sport than any other.  They're more educated in the sport than you are and what you aren't comprehending is restricting you to seeing the game as having little structure and based on luck.  Nobody said you have to like it, I couldn't give a shit whether you do or don't.  I'm just pointing out that your the severe minority and that there's a reason for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
Who said you had to love it?  I'm just pointing out that you your opinion of it is likely wrong.  You equate it to a game with little structure and a basketball game in which no one knows how to shoot.  I'm saying there's a reason this is the most popular sport on this planet and there's a reason why most every human is more passionate about this sport than any other.  They're more educated in the sport than you are and what you aren't comprehending is restricting you to seeing the game as having little structure and based on luck.  Nobody said you have to like it, I couldn't give a poop whether you do or don't.  I'm just pointing out that your the severe minority and that there's a reason for it.

I know one reason, they dont know shit about SEC football. "You betta acts somebody".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »
as for "the whole world loves it/plays it so there must be something to it" position...here is my take on that argument................

The overwhelming majority of the World is made up of third world countries and soccer is very cheap to play.  All you need is a ball and an open field......the world plays it because they can afford to play it.

It takes money and lots of it to play football and to some extent baseball.

The game simply sucks.  Great athletes when considering endurance and coordination but the game sucks.

As for the crowds really get into it.......yeah, what do you expect them to do?  Pump 'em full of beer, there is nothing much else to cheer about back in the home country so whooo hooooo lets cut loose a little....I mean if you lived in Venezuela or Cuba or Congo or Bosnia and actually were able to get the hell out of there and go mingle with other people and forget for a little while...well Hell Yeah I would party too (and probably get lost in the crowd and figure out a way to go somewhere else)

Just my take.......slam away, agree, have fun with it, and/or stick it up your ass and do soccer cheers.

makes no never-mind to me.....I gotta go groom my poodle and get my Chihuahua back from Taco Bell.

:bar:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:03:16 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati