Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

FIFA

Birmingham

Re: FIFA
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »
as for "the whole world loves it/plays it so there must be something to it" position...here is my take on that argument................

The overwhelming majority of the World is made up of third world countries and soccer is very cheap to play.  All you need is a ball and an open field......the world plays it because they can afford to play it.

It takes money and lots of it to play football and to some extent baseball.

The game simply sucks.  Great athletes when considering endurance and coordination but the game sucks.

As for the crowds really get into it.......yeah, what do you expect them to do?  Pump 'em full of beer, there is nothing much else to cheer about back in the home country so whooo hooooo lets cut loose a little....I mean if you lived in Venezuela or Cuba or Congo or Bosnia and actually were able to get the hell out of there and go mingle with other people and forget for a little while...well Hell Yeah I would party too (and probably get lost in the crowd and figure out a way to go somewhere else)

Just my take.......slam away, agree, have fun with it, and/or stick it up your ass and do soccer cheers.

makes no never-mind to me.

:bar:

...And what about every other country aside from the United States that happens to not be third world?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
...And what about every other country aside from the United States that happens to not be third world?

you know what...I am bored so I will play..........Is it safe to assume you have read some of the history on soccer?

Well here is a brief synopsis from what I have gathered down thru the years reading, talking to folks and just plain making shit up:

No one really knows where it started.

there are records of the Chinese and Japanese playing the game as far back as 1000 BC, or there abouts.

some how the game gets to England and is summarily banned for being "evil"

The English peasants don't care and continue to play it....why? because it is a CHEAP distraction to their incredibly mundane and hideous feudal lives, and no matter what they do the Crown is goingto behead, burn at the stake, draw and quarter, dis-embowel or otherwise dispatch them from this worldly realm anyway.

It grows in popularity in England......a few other places in Europe pick it up so as not to let the English get a corner on yet another activity...financial or otherwise.

Now here comes the important part that relates to the "third world" comment:

The British Empire which covered most of the world begins to export the game in the 1700's & 1800's to the poorer colonial holdings....(for some reason the exportation does not make it into or "catch on" in the North American colonies.......I consider this particular turn of events along with the French Fleet showing up at Yorktown as two of the more important and fortuitous events in American History....which in and of itself is quite remarkable seeing as how the British rarely forget/fail in the exportation department and the French routinely forget/fail to show up during times of armed conflict)

Why? because it is cheap to export and set up and it seems to keep the natives from spearing, revolting and otherwise causing mischief for Queen (or King) and Country...and this is considered, at least by the British, to be a very good thing.

Hope that is clear enough for you as it relates to my stance, opinion and thoughts.  If not please refer to the last statement in my previous post (quoted below for your convenience) and have a wonderful Sunday.............

Just my take.......slam away, agree, have fun with it, and/or stick it up your ass and do soccer cheers.
makes no never-mind to me.....I gotta go groom my poodle and get my Chihuahua back from Taco Bell.

ps: ever wonder why the Brits did not export in mass Cricket? Or why it did not catch on?  Because Cricket is phucking expensive and complicated to play.....same with golf (plus both sports are played with implements that could be turned, in a moment of uprising, into crude weapons.....think about it)......soccer is cheap and easily understood.....kick ball, run after it, put in big net..............and nothing in the sport can be used as a weapon....which leads to another thought....ever wondered about the "no hands rule" in soccer?  Hand-eye coordination is very important in the training of military personnel (especially during the 17th-19th century) by teaching/popularizing a game amongst the colony natives that made it illegal to use ones hands, the British were depriving the locals of training in a much needed skill for self defense...the use of the upper body.......Culture is a powerful thing and Sport has been used to shape and alter Culture ever since folks decided to get the hell out of the caves and start living together in larger and larger communities.

One more thing:

SOCCER PHUKING SUCKS
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:54:11 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Birmingham

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
I didn't want you to think that nobody read your entire post.  Everyone reading along in this thread definitely read all of it and didn't skip over it for being ridiculously and irresponsibly long.  Every single person reading this thread in no way looked at your last post, scrolled down to the bottom, and then said to themselves "thank God I didn't start to read that post because I would've assumed it was reasonable in length and found myself half way in before becoming aware that 20 minutes has gone by and finishing the rest couldn't possibly be worth 20 more.  It was almost certainly worth your time.  But above all, you preserved the power and impact of each word by deciding not to use 3 sentences when 47 would do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:33:37 AM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »
SOCCER PHUKING SUCKS

Speaking of the American colonies and the Brits, this long standing competitive rivalry in many sports led to me to watch such "football" with interest and a beer. Like I said before, Im not big on soccer or hockey but when its the US I can watch with multiplied interest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »
To add -

I think there is a general disdain for soccer in the United States because many times, kids who focus on soccer are either hispanic or struggle competing in the main three sports.

A friend of mine's little brother LOVED soccer.  He played from age 9 up until he graduated high school.  I can remember making fun of him when he was young because he literally threw a football like an old grandma with arthritis.  We always thought he was going to turn out gay.  Not because he liked soccer, but because he looked rather "fairy-like" when playing games like basketball and football.  But he loved soccer.  And could very easily run around the field and kick the ball when it came to him. 

I'm not saying that's the right attitude to have, but especially here in the South, I believe that's a strong influence in swaying popular opinion of the sport. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
The "soccer is for fags" argument is an extension of GarMan's beta-male crusade.

"If foreigners like it, it must be for pussies."  Come on.

I know plenty of baseball players that couldn't dribble to save their lives. Means nothing.

And the argument that it's a poor man's game contradicts the notion that it's some hoity toity fairy pastime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
Brazil's Blumer Elano, right, partially covered by North Korea's Ji Yum Nam, scores his side's second goal during Tuesday's World Cup match between Brazil and North Korea. The Brazilians won 2-1.

It can only make a party more interesting when cute, cuddly North Korea is invited.

What other nation, really, could produce 10 fun facts about a soccer team that includes a gem like this ...

"The team's nickname is Chollima, after a mythical winged horse which is too fast to be mounted by a human."

North Korea hasn't done much historically in international soccer, but they managed to get out of the first round (like winning the Super Bowl as a wildcard) and advance all the way through the Asian qualifying competition, making it to South Africa ahead of accomplished teams like Iran and Saudi Arabia.

That has naturally led to plenty of stories combining high-level athletics, overwhelming censorship and off-the-wall politics like only North Korea can.

Another gem from the above article ...

North Korea naturally credited diddy dictator Kim Jong Il for reaching the finals. After victory was confirmed with a win over Saudi Arabia, an official pointed out: "The Great Leader gave in-depth guidance on the development of Korean football. He proposed the game's tactics most relevant for the physiological characteristics of the Korean players."

Consider this too: North Korea's government doesn't allow people to leave its country. So about 1,000 actors from China reportedly volunteered to go to South Africa and cheer the North Koreans in person. Click here for more entertainment.

In the course of all this, TV rights also became an issue between North and South Korea, and really, no one knew for sure that today's closer-than-expected 2-1 Brazil victory over North Korea would even be broadcast live in that country (Most matches there are aired on tape-delayed basis with only highlights, meaning the people of North Korea may never see Brazil's two goals in today's match).

Actually, North Korea's soccer team did fairly well today. Most expected powerhouse Brazil to be able to name its score against a North Korean team ranked out of the top 100 in the world. But in frigid temperatures, the Koreans effectively slowed down the match and did a fine job defensively in frustrating Brazil's stars.

The game was scoreless at halftime. That couldn't last all day, of course, and Brazil netted two goals before North Korea finally played a little offensive soccer and snagged one back in the final minutes.

Not a bad showing for North Korea. Too bad everyone in the world was able to watch -- except North Koreans. After all, "The Great Leader" is never supposed to lose.

(The Press-Register's Gentry Estes will be blogging the 2010 World Cup for AL.com. Go here to keep up with the coverage.)

http://blog.al.com/keepingscore/2010/06/world_cup_2010_north_korea_los.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
Vuvuzela horns, such as the one being blown here by a South African fan, have become an annoying distraction for viewers of this summer's World Cup.

It's a dull, continuous buzz, basically sounding like a large swarm of bees has taken over a packed stadium.

If you've watched five minutes of this summer's World Cup in South Africa, you probably know sound of the "vuvuzela" horn. Odds are you're at least a little annoyed by it, and you're certainly not alone.

The Associated Press has received e-mails from a far away as Bhutan complaining about the overwhelming use of vuvuzela horns at this World Cup. It's a South African tradition, and while it may enhance the atmosphere in person, it comes across as a unceasing nuisance on television.

Here's the thing: Tournament officials don't care.

According to the AP, South Africa organizing committee spokesman Rich Mkhondo said, "I won't dwell too much on what outsiders think about vuvuzelas. I won't dwell too much on what the feelings of the spectators are."

Mkhondo was backed by FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who asked: "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"

Nevertheless, the company that provides the broadcast feed for games has taken steps to reduce the background noise caused by vuvuzela during games.

Personally, I find the vuvuzelas as a bit annoying, but I pretty much learned to tune it out during last summer's Confederations Cup, basically a dress rehersal tournament in South Africa that featured the United States. Those horns were every bit as prominent -- and distracting -- then. But the only real outcry comes now, after the World Cup tournament has started.

(The Press-Register's Gentry Estes will be blogging the 2010 World Cup for AL.com. Go here to keep up with the coverage.)

http://blog.al.com/keepingscore/2010/06/world_cup_2010_whats_that_nois.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
    "The team's nickname is Chollima, after a mythical winged horse which is too fast to be mounted by a human."

WTF ever. 
Take that pony up to West Vance and see what happens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
WTF ever. 
Take that pony up to West Vance and see what happens.
The Golden Child would catch that horse with his magic nuts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
The "soccer is for fags" argument is an extension of GarMan's beta-male crusade.

"If foreigners like it, it must be for pussies."  Come on.

I know plenty of baseball players that couldn't dribble to save their lives. Means nothing.

And the argument that it's a poor man's game contradicts the notion that it's some hoity toity fairy pastime.

Soccer is for fags.(and girls)

That is all.

Carry on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 11:41:06 AM »
Soccer is for fags.(and girls)

That is all.

Carry on.

You forgot weirdos and fur-en-ers!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
You forgot weirdos and fur-en-ers!!!!

and poor people

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »
I'm not a fag, poor, or a fur-en-er but I am a weirdo and I am ok with that. I am also very patriotic and I watch to see the US win. I would even watch the US in f'n gymnastics to see them kick ass. Besides, a couple 24 oz Icehouse makes soccer ok for the time being.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
I'm not a fag, poor, or a fur-en-er but I am a weirdo and I am ok with that. I am also very patriotic and I watch to see the US win. I would even watch the US in f'n gymnastics to see them kick ass. Besides, a couple 24 oz Icehouse makes soccer ok for the time being.
Its not the soccer that makes you gay...its the Icehouse.  :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Its not the soccer that makes you gay...its the Icehouse.  :blink:

damnit GF, there is nothing wrong with Icehouse.  :silence:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

fag = no comment

poor = it is not 2011 yet, just hang on, you (along with rest of us) will get there

fur-en-er = yep you would be if you were at the world cup.........I would like one of those horns though

patriotic = me too, good for you.......Oh, Say Can You See, By The Dawn's Early Light....kick ass (and the damn ball)!!!!!!

Icehouse = seriously?  Icehouse?  damn brother if I would have told that

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
damnit GF, there is nothing wrong with Icehouse.  :silence:

Yes there is.

You know how Milwaukee's Best says: "It don't get no better than this" ? Yeah, thats horseshit. It gets a lot better than that. And that also applies to Ice House.

I just didnt want to tell you that at the Miss St game last year. Why do you think I kept offering you my Killians and Warsteiners? I felt bad for you.... :bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 12:52:18 PM »
and Warsteiners? I felt bad for you.... :bugs:

that is good stuff, right there and so is Boddington's in the pint cans with the little cool actuator in the bottom of the can.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
It's only noon, I wish you guys would stop making me want to drink.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."