Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ESPN Recruiting Rankings

JR4AU

Re: ESPN Recruiting Rankings
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
Ok, so let's leave my opinion of Richt's abilities aside and focus on your statement:

After seeing the Rivals' rankings above, do you still maintain that UGA's talent has "fallen off"?

Using your threory, I can make a case that Pete Carroll is one of he biggest squanderers of talent there ever was.  Only one undefeated season, and only one BCS Title.  He did that in 2004 with a team that only had one 2 10 classes, and they were the underclassmen on the 2004 team.  Between 2003 and 2009, he never had a class ranked below 5th, and had three ranked #1 from 04-06.  He won exactly jack shit during that time after 2004, save some worthless Pac 10 titles, and in 2006 and 2007 could only manage a tie for the Pac 10 Title.  2009 was one of his more talented teams per Rivals, and they went 9-4/5-4 and placed 5th in the Pac 10. 

However, both of the examples of Richt and Carroll, as well as Tubs support my theory of a coaches professional life at a big time BCS school being max of about 10 years.  They just give out under the pressure of high performance being so dissapointing to the fans.  They either quit coaching, or quit recruiting, or both. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
Using your threory, I can make a case that Pete Carroll is one of he biggest squanderers of talent there ever was.  Only one undefeated season, and only one BCS Title.  He did that in 2004 with a team that only had one 2 10 classes, and they were the underclassmen on the 2004 team.  Between 2003 and 2009, he never had a class ranked below 5th, and had three ranked #1 from 04-06.  He won exactly jack poop during that time after 2004, save some worthless Pac 10 titles, and in 2006 and 2007 could only manage a tie for the Pac 10 Title.  2009 was one of his more talented teams per Rivals, and they went 9-4/5-4 and placed 5th in the Pac 10. 

However, both of the examples of Richt and Carroll, as well as Tubs support my theory of a coaches professional life at a big time BCS school being max of about 10 years.  They just give out under the pressure of high performance being so dissapointing to the fans.  They either quit coaching, or quit recruiting, or both. 
Is that why one hires a Rodney Garner?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2010, 01:46:12 PM »
Dammit I like you JR; you're verbose and you will argue till the cows come home. Then when I think you'll buck-up, you go all agreeable. This is home to me even though I post on several sights. The SN site is very regional, Big Ten and Pac Ten infighting and SEC hatred, but it's very sterile which is why this suits me moreso.I'm into the spirit rather than the letter. Another AU site is a bit too young for me. (I'm 51) I Like everyone here, very diverse opinions though don't know how others take me sometimes. I'm obtuse and play the weird uncle, but it's just out of boredom.

I do try not to be so verbose, but not hard enough I guess. I have a fantasy about being a writer...so..

I do like to argue too, and will sometimes just take an opposing view to argue it for shits and giggles...my law school training probably contributes.  

As for my view on coaches...I view them more like coaches do.  In the last few years, I started coaching some at the middle school and HS level.  I'm no expert, and certainly not a college coach, but I do converse on a regular basis with many current and former college coaches and players.  Fans don't want to hear the truth about coaching and playing...the things like sometimes players just don't pan out, no matter how good the coach is...you can't win them all...etc.  Coaches are paid to win, and no excuses will do.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »
Is that why one hires a Rodney Garner?

I have often said that Tubs could have survived being "retired on duty" if he'd have just hired some young go-getters to do all the hard work and simply been a closer on the recruiting trail, and a CEO.  He chose to stay with his buddies who also retired on duty.   I also think that Tubs got to involved with playcalling on game day, but thats another story. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
I have often said that Tubs could have survived being "retired on duty" if he'd have just hired some young go-getters to do all the hard work and simply been a closer on the recruiting trail, and a CEO.  He chose to stay with his buddies who also retired on duty.   I also think that Tubs got to involved with playcalling on game day, but thats another story. 

An old school defensive mind getting involved in play calling and overriding an OC who has been doing it his whole career. Never made much sense to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
An old school defensive mind getting involved in play calling and overriding an OC who has been doing it his whole career. Never made much sense to me.

One thing I did admire about Terry Bowden, and still do...when the defense was on the field, he went to the other end of the field to stay out of the way, and contemplate his next moves on offense.  Tubs would have done well to pay someone to turn his headphones off or pipe in some Allman Bros when the offense was on the feild.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
Well I was a stuck in the veer, a long and slow footed passer that pissed my coach off by inventing my own stuff  in the huddle. I got hit on every play as is expected, but found myself getting hit nineteen times on the way down.(fell slowly too) Got my kicks at safety though. (payback) So my knowledge is only on that level from another era.
I was amazed at the stats of KY. and LA. prep kids afterwards. So I love the whole Malzahn thing and chose Bert Jones's 17 starts at LSU to liken Newton's tenure to. I think he has the toughness as a big runner and play making ability on the move. Not sold on his ability to read anything as a pocket passer though. Might be just what Auburn needs to make it all work.
Todd was still rehabbing his shoulder this time last year BTW.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
Well I was a stuck in the veer, a long and slow footed passer that pissed my coach off by inventing my own stuff  in the huddle. I got hit on every play as is expected, but found myself getting hit nineteen times on the way down.(fell slowly too) Got my kicks at safety though. (payback) So my knowledge is only on that level from another era.
I was amazed at the stats of KY. and LA. prep kids afterwards. So I love the whole Malzahn thing and chose Bert Jones's 17 starts at LSU to liken Newton's tenure to. I think he has the toughness as a big runner and play making ability on the move. Not sold on his ability to read anything as a pocket passer though. Might be just what Auburn needs to make it all work.
Todd was still rehabbing his shoulder this time last year BTW.

What.
The.
Fuck.
Dude?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
What.
The.
Fuck.
Dude?
I understand about 15% of what this guy posts. I've learned to accept it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
I understand about 15% of what this guy posts. I've learned to accept it.

See - at least you know you understand 100% of what I post. Its just you dont agree with 90% of the time... :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »
Using your threory, I can make a case that Pete Carroll is one of he biggest squanderers of talent there ever was.  Only one undefeated season, and only one BCS Title. 

The difference, of course, is the undefeated season and (now stripped) NC.

But, I would wholeheartedly agree that Carroll mostly squandered his talent.  He had the easiest cake walk of a schedule to get to the BCS game.  He routinely dropped stupid conference games that should have been slam dunks.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
The difference, of course, is the undefeated season and (now stripped) NC.

But, I would wholeheartedly agree that Carroll mostly squandered his talent.  He had the easiest cake walk of a schedule to get to the BCS game.  He routinely dropped stupid conference games that should have been slam dunks.

Name a coach that doesn't.  Most of the college football world thinks Carroll is a damned fine college coach.  Stripped NC or not, they won it on the field. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
Name a coach that doesn't.  Most of the college football world thinks Carroll is a damned fine college coach.  Stripped NC or not, they won it on the field. 

With the best players Hollywood could buy......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
Stripped NC or not, they won it on the field.  

Yeah, I know.  It helps make my point that PC >> MR.

They both squander talent, they both have ostensibly easier paths to the NC than most, and yet MR just can't do it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:56:45 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »
Yeah, I know.  It helps make my point that PC >> MR.

They both squander talent, they both have ostensibly easier paths to the NC than most, and yet MR just can't do it.

You didn't name a coach that doesn't "squander talent" under your theory of talent squandering. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
You didn't name a coach that doesn't "squander talent" under your theory of talent squandering. 

Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Chris Peterson...even in recent yrs Saban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Mack Brown, Frank Beamer, Chris Peterson...even in recent yrs Saban.

Of that list, by his forumula, I'd only agree with Chris Peterson.  Saban too...recently. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »
Of that list, by his forumula, I'd only agree with Chris Peterson.  Saban too...recently. 

Ok, JR - cmon man. Beamer is probably the BEST example of NOT squandering talent. Dude rarely gets a top 20 class. But when is the last time you saw them out of the AP Top 20?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
I don't think the criteria should be NC's because there's just too much shit that happens during a 12-13 game season.  I'd put Carroll up there because of his consistency in either winning a NC or being a factor in the NC.  Same goes for Mack Brown.  A slip up here or there doesn't make me think any less of him.  UT is constantly at or near the top under his Corchedness.  Urban Meyerses is a great example in my book along with Lord Saybins.  The cruit the talent then kick your ass with it. 

For Richt...not so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2010, 05:08:17 PM »

It's a continuum of squanderation.  At the top is Marky Mark and his hairy dog bunch.  All dems stars and no hardware, no wonder he's so ornery.  Lower on the continuum are Mack and Pete.  Some hardware, but for the ridiculous piles of talent on those campuses there should be much, much more.  At the bottom of the spectrum is Urban Cryer.  He gots the talent and the hardwares.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions