Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
We've heard this whining ad nauseam for over a year now.

Now Saban is so afraid to play Auburn coming off of a bye week, that he is trying to re-arrange bammer's schedule so that they don't have to play...wait for it...Georgia State, in their first ever season playing football, the week before us.

The Saban worshiping tone of this article, despite its content, is noted and highlighted.

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/2010/05/hot_corner_why_should_alabama.html
Hot Corner: Why should Alabama worry about Georgia State?
By The Birmingham News
May 01, 2010, 8:15AM

By Aimie Taluyo -- The Birmingham News
Alabama coach Nick Saban should be able to get his team ready for both Georgia State and Auburn without extra time off.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban said Thursday that he's worried about facing Auburn on a Friday when the Tide has a short week and the Tigers have a bye week -- so much so that he and the league are looking at other options.

The Tide is defending national champ and the league's best team. The team that Alabama plays before Auburn is Georgia State, a team in its inaugural season. The Tide won't need a full week to plan for Georgia State. In essence, the Tide has two weeks to prepare for Auburn.

And the Tide will probably play its backups for most of the game against the Panthers.

Concern about the number of SEC teams that have bye weeks before playing Alabama is understandable. But it seems unnecessary that Alabama wants to alter schedules so it can have more preparation time that it doesn't need to beat the Tigers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:03:02 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
Re: Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »
Who the fuck is Aimie Taluyo?...is she a real sportswriter for the Birmingham News?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »
I've never read a more poorly written article published in an official and relevant newspaper.  

What the fuck is Aime trying to say?  Is she arguing that Saban is correct in saying that they shouldn't be playing a game the week before the Iron Bowl?  Is she say Saban is being a cry baby bitch for complaining about Georgia State?

I'm not real sure.  I do think it's hilarious that she's already crowned them the best team 4 months before kickoff.  Why play the games?  Alabama's already conquered football.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
I think the overall problem is half of the schedule having a bye week before they play us. The Iron Bowl is simply the biggest example. Let me be exact, since Chizad will go apeshit if I don't.

You can't honestly say that one team having 5 days to prepare for the biggest rivalry in football, and the other team having 12 days to prepare doesn't give the team with 12 days an edge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
I think the overall problem is half of the schedule having a bye week before they play us. The Iron Bowl is simply the biggest example. Let me be exact, since Chizad will go apeshit if I don't.

You can't honestly say that one team having 5 days to prepare for the biggest rivalry in football, and the other team having 12 days to prepare doesn't give the team with 12 days an edge.
Let me state this as slow as I can, so you bammers will be able to understand it.  If Scandalous Plagued University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa (SPUAT) has to prepare for Georgia State, then there are a shit load more problems to worry about on the team than other team's schedule.

As much as I hate to say this, SPuat is the best team in the SEC this year, atleast they are on paper.  But, if they're worrying about preparing for Georgia State, then they might not be that good afterall.  What Coach little bitch could do is move the Georgia State game to their open date, that way they'd have an opening before the Iron Bowl...just like a couple years ago....but that would mean SPuat would have to play 11 straight before their open date, just like Auburn did last year and will do again this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »

I guess it's unfair how you guys have 13 days to prepare for LSU this year.

It's called a bye week. Every team gets one. Get over it.

And why is the Iron Bowl the "biggest example"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »
Did the schedules and bye weeks change that much from last year?
It will only give the bammers something to crow about if they have a record like last year. Or has Saban figured out that his time is soon up and is getting his alibi ready?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
Or has Saban figured out that his time is soon up and is getting his alibi ready?
It's starting to sound that way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Besides film room and strategizing, I always feel like a bye week messes with the players' routine.  They always come out a little flat. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
Did the schedules and bye weeks change that much from last year?
It will only give the bammers something to crow about if they have a record like last year. Or has Saban figured out that his time is soon up and is getting his alibi ready?
Alabama had a similar scheduling situation last year. I believe we had 5-6 games against teams with bye weeks prior to playing us. As far as Saban's time being up soon? We're building a statue of the fucker......what does that say to you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
Alabama had a similar scheduling situation last year. I believe we had 5-6 games against teams with bye weeks prior to playing us. As far as Saban's time being up soon? We're building a statue of the fucker......what does that say to you?

Tell me, RWS.  How long did each statue stay the coach after the statue was erected? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
Tell me, RWS.  How long did each statue stay the coach after the statue was erected? 
I'm simply saying that we aren't looking into getting rid of Saban anytime soon, and I don't think he is looking to go anywhere either. Even if we have a bad season this year, the part of the fanbase calling for heads to roll (and we know it will happen if the season turns ugly for whatever reason) needs to wake the fuck up and look at this thing a little more objectively.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
the part of the fanbase calling for heads to roll (and we know it will happen if the season turns ugly for whatever reason) needs to wake the fuck up and look at this thing a little more objectively.

Impossible for your fan base....you ask for the moon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
the part of the fanbase calling for heads to roll (and we know it will happen if the season turns ugly for whatever reason)
You meant to say....the loudest fans, right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »

I can absolutely say that.  Without reservation.

Wanna bet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »
I can absolutely say that.  Without reservation.

Wanna bet?

THIS.

Ever see most Auburn teams play with a bye week before Ga or Arky? Most times it wasn't pretty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jadennis

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
Alabama had a similar scheduling situation last year. I believe we had 5-6 games against teams with bye weeks prior to playing us.

I admit, playing tons of teams that are coming off bye weeks does suck.  Those teams may occasionally come out a little flat, but in the end they are usually a little better rested and have had a week for the nagging injuries and aches to heal up a little.   The SEC is physical, and it takes a toll on the body.  One reason we played better, more physical defense against Alabama last year was due to having a week off after 11 straight games.

HOWEVER...bitching about it is like bitching that you have Georgia and Florida on your SEC-East rotation instead of Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  Or bitching that you have all  your tough games on the road.  It's just the way the schedule goes.  It's different every year...some years it's easier, some years it's tougher.  Quit thinking that Murphy's Law needs to bend over for Saban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
I say make it a rule. Every team must have a bye before they play Alabama. I mean at least the games will be more exciting. I hate watching blowout after blowout. :poke: :civic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
I say make it a rule. Every team must have a bye before they play Alabama. I mean at least the games will be more exciting. I hate watching blowout after blowout. :poke: :civic:

:bugs:  I do think it's a little strange the number of bye weeks their opponents have.  Does it matter?  Didn't look like it last year.  I just hope we never play a game between UGA and Bama and that's always a bye week.  I love the build up to the Iron Bowl.

Jad, I think we may have been a little more rested and granted, that was much needed after 11 straight weeks.  But, I think the defensive game plan had as much to do with the success against Bama.  That may also be attributed to the extra time.  The fact is, the D came out with a completely different game plan than anything they showed all year long. I remember reading quotes from McElroy about Auburn throwing the kitchen sink at them with the number of formations and coverages he saw.  I never understood why we could do it against the #1 team in the land but stayed in our base D for 11 prior games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »

According to many of bammer's loudest and most idiotic fans that post on Auburn boards on the net, and call talk radio shows...ALL the SEC teams will have film on Malzahn's gimmicky HS offense and by midseason will easily shut it down.  5 days should be more than enough time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions