Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:58 AM »
According to many of bammer's loudest and most idiotic fans that post on Auburn boards on the net, and call talk radio shows...ALL the SEC teams will have film on Malzahn's gimmicky HS offense and by midseason will easily shut it down.  5 days should be more than enough time.
Meh, outside of the first 10 minutes of the 09 Iron Bowl, Alabama didn't really have a problem shutting it down either. It was just a matter of getting through some of the scripted plays that AU hadn't used before. To me, that is the biggest issue with Malzahn. There just doesn't seem to be an in between with his offense. Either it's going to bash your brains out, or it is going to epic fail. He seems to do well with scripted plays, but when adjustments have to be made, the playcalling suffers.

On the other side of that, this was his first year in the SEC against this caliber of a defense. You have to give a little credit on that part. I think the jury is still out on him. It is hard to take much from AU's 09 season. The offense showed flashes in certain games, but just wasn't quite "there" yet. I still think his offense is gimmicky, but I think it is still too soon to call it a failure or success on the SEC level.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Meh, outside of the first 10 minutes of the 09 Iron Bowl, Alabama didn't really have a problem shutting it down either. It was just a matter of getting through some of the scripted plays that AU hadn't used before. To me, that is the biggest issue with Malzahn. There just doesn't seem to be an in between with his offense. Either it's going to bash your brains out, or it is going to epic fail. He seems to do well with scripted plays, but when adjustments have to be made, the playcalling suffers.

On the other side of that, this was his first year in the SEC against this caliber of a defense. You have to give a little credit on that part. I think the jury is still out on him. It is hard to take much from AU's 09 season. The offense showed flashes in certain games, but just wasn't quite "there" yet. I still think his offense is gimmicky, but I think it is still too soon to call it a failure or success on the SEC level.

"Adjustments", "Play Calling", "scripted plays", "gimmicky"...you are full of typical ignorant fan bullshit, yet if pressed you couldn't give even a base description of what Auburn, or for that matter, what bammer does on offense or defense...at least not beyond what you've heard some ESPN talking head regurgitate.  You're good at talking ignorant fan smack though.  I bet you've referred to Malzahn's offense as gimmicky 100 times, but couldn't tell anyone what the gimmick is.  And I've been through this before...every offense involves gimmicks, but you' wouldn't know one from another, but you'll toss out "gimmicky" like it's a slap at Malzahn every single time you talk about it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
  There was a post on the Arkansas Scout board (sorry, to lazy to go back and find it) where a reporter tracked teams coming off a buy week vs. teams that played the week before in three categories, underdogs, favorites, and toss-ups.  Statistically, coming off the buy week did not provide a measurable advantage to underdogs or toss-ups, and was a slight disadvantage to favorites.  Favorites tend to come out flat after a week off.
     I notice 'bama doesn't whine and cry about the unfairness of the schedule when their rotating teams in the east are Kentucky and South Carolina and ours are Georgia and Florida.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »

On the other side of that, this was his first year in the SEC against this caliber of a defense.   
Really? You're a real student of the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks for catching that. I saw it earlier from my phone when I was too busy to ridicule it, and forgot about it later.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »

Don't question his knowledge.  He'll get all verbose on you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »

or maybe even long winded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »
http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/05/scarbinsky_curry_not_sure_geor.html

Scarbinsky: Curry not sure Georgia State can move game if Alabama asks
By Kevin Scarbinsky -- The Birmingham News
May 07, 2010, 5:30AM

Bill Curry’s phone works. I know because we spoke, cell to cell, while he was driving Thursday afternoon.

So rule out technical difficulties as a reason that Alabama hasn’t contacted the familiar coach of the new Georgia State football program about moving their game from its scheduled date of Saturday, Nov. 20, to Thursday, Nov. 18.

A week after Nick Saban mentioned the possibility on an SEC teleconference, Curry said, "We have not heard from them."

But having heard of Saban’s remarks, Curry and the Georgia State AD discussed the idea last Friday. Interestingly, their answer to any Alabama request to jump might not be "How high?"

They determined that, if Alabama asks, they’ll have to broach the subject with their university president and others "to find out what flexibility we may or may not have," Curry said.

As for Georgia State’s general philosophy of playing on Thursday nights, he added, "We don’t have a basic approach yet. We literally do not have an answer."

When you’re starting a football program from scratch, sometimes you have to adjust on the fly.

It’s important to remember that, if and when Alabama asks, Georgia State has to say yes. Of course, it might be hard to say no, given the David vs. Goliath disparity between them.

Considering that one program is coming off a national championship and the other is heading into its very first season, Alabama vs. Georgia State is the biggest on-paper mismatch of the entire 2010 season.

Not saying it’ll happen — and Curry didn’t tip his hand — but can you imagine the outcry in this state if Alabama asked to move the game and Georgia State declined?

The howling would become deafening if Alabama were forced to dismantle Georgia State on that Saturday, and six days later, Auburn came off its bye week to topple the Tide.

Curry would get blamed for another Iron Bowl defeat.

His biggest sin in the eyes of a lot of Alabama fans is that he never beat Auburn. Not even his till-then unbeaten 1989 team could beat Auburn, but given the never-before, never-again tidal wave of emotion that greeted Alabama on its first trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium, the best Crimson Tide teams in history might’ve come up short that day.

Does anyone else find it amusing that, all these years later, Saban has been thinking of asking Curry to help Alabama beat Auburn?

That’s the bottom line here.

Alabama could beat Georgia State with its walk-ons any day of the week, but as Saban discovered last season, Gene Chizik’s Auburn is no walk-over.

"The thing I’m most concerned about is playing Auburn on a short week when they have a bye week," Saban said.

Say what? Saban? Concerned? About Auburn?

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to see some ID.

His concern is legitimate — see the 2009 Iron Bowl — but it was totally out of character for Saban to voice that concern in public.

This is not a coach who expresses vulnerability. This is a coach who tirelessly seeks it out in the other team and works to exploit it.

Saban set his justifiably confident tone the day he was introduced as the Alabama coach. He stuck a finger in his rival’s eye when he referred to Auburn as "a team in this state that we work to dominate 365 days a year."

How can you dominate someone when you let them know that you need more time to get ready for them?

Curry’s got enough on his plate without getting into all that. When he started to work on his first Georgia State schedule, he consulted coaches with start-up experience like Watson Brown and Howard Schnellenberger.

But the best advice, he said, came from Jack Lengyel, the coach who re-started the Marshall football program after its team plane went down in that devastating 1970 crash.

Lengyel told Curry he should play a third of his games against teams he could beat, a third against tougher teams "that’ll stretch you" and a third against the best teams at that level.

"And occasionally," Curry said Lengyel added, "throw a monster in there."

The monster is Alabama. In college football, monsters usually get what they want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
"Adjustments", "Play Calling", "scripted plays", "gimmicky"...you are full of typical ignorant fan bullshit, yet if pressed you couldn't give even a base description of what Auburn, or for that matter, what bammer does on offense or defense...at least not beyond what you've heard some ESPN talking head regurgitate.  You're good at talking ignorant fan smack though.  I bet you've referred to Malzahn's offense as gimmicky 100 times, but couldn't tell anyone what the gimmick is.  And I've been through this before...every offense involves gimmicks, but you' wouldn't know one from another, but you'll toss out "gimmicky" like it's a slap at Malzahn every single time you talk about it. 
I don't really talk about Malzahn's offense too often, and I don't really throw the word "gimmicky" out that often either. The offense itself is simplistic enough. Hell, Alabama's is too for that matter. AU relies on unconventional formations, constant motion, HUNH. If you really want to get down to it, it is just a variation of the single wing. If I had to define Alabama's offense, I would say it most closely resembles a multiple I-back offense. We run core pass/run plays out of multiple formations (thought it seems we play alot from Ace, Pistol, Shotgun, etc). I will now give you the opportunity to grade my response, and insert your own knowledge accordingly, as we all know that is your goal here......to try and show everybody just how smart and superior you are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »

Not if he is confined to talking about his actual knowledge of the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »
I will now give you the opportunity to grade my response, and insert your own knowledge accordingly, as we all know that is your goal here......to try and show everybody just how smart and superior you are.

Are you serioulsy accusing him of this?  I mean, just because he maybe bought the Kaos & BG instructional video from your garage sale doesn't make him a bad person.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »
I don't really talk about Malzahn's offense too often, and I don't really throw the word "gimmicky" out that often either. The offense itself is simplistic enough. Hell, Alabama's is too for that matter. AU relies on unconventional formations, constant motion, HUNH. If you really want to get down to it, it is just a variation of the single wing. If I had to define Alabama's offense, I would say it most closely resembles a multiple I-back offense. We run core pass/run plays out of multiple formations (thought it seems we play alot from Ace, Pistol, Shotgun, etc). I will now give you the opportunity to grade my response, and insert your own knowledge accordingly, as we all know that is your goal here......to try and show everybody just how smart and superior you are.

You did toss out the word gimmicky though.  My goal was set by you when you popped off about it and said typically stupid shit.  If you don't want to be called down, don't say stupid shit.  Simple...like Malzahn's offense.

Malzahn uses 4 basic run plays.  Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Power, and Sweep.  Very, VERY standard stuff.  Throws in some zone read, counters, trap, draws, and jet sweep for good measure, but can do that with little practice time needed because the O Line assignments don't change much.  It's either zone or block down/kick out rules...simple stuff.  Runs play action off those plays.  About as simple as you can get.  All offensive coaches use motions and formations to create leverage, as does bammer, like you said.  Bammer relies heavily on zone principle plays from a bunch of formations...they use formations the same way, but probably less motion.   That's bammer's "gimmick".  Zone running allows the back to make the OL look good as he has lots of freedom to cut plays back, and basically run to daylight without being confined to hitting a particular hole.  Making the defense commit one way, then cutting back or bouncing out the other.   It's a "gimmick" of sorts.  It more resembles a multiple single back offense, a la Dennis Erickson/Joe Gibbs.   Malzahn's gimmick is pace of play, not playbook or scheme.  By today's standards, running an offense from the shotgun is hardly "unconventional".  You were right, about bammer using the pistol...invented an perfected by Nevada (I can't recall the coach's name that is credited with it).   Anyway...there's my vast knowldge...which is available to any that want to know it, just not from listening to Corso and Herbstreit, and definately not from Shane from Centerpoint.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:38:09 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
invented an perfected by Nevada (I can't recall the coach's name that is credited with it).
Coach Ault (Chris Ault, I believe).

He invented it after watching a bowl game back in the 90s.  (If I remember correctly, it was Nebraska's spread-type option in the National Championship game when the stomped the ever-livin' shit outta Florida, Tommie Frazier was the QB)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:47:56 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

boartitz

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 10:43:13 PM »
Coach Ault (Chris Ault, I believe).

He invented in after watching a bowl game back in the 90s.  (If I remember correctly, it was Nebraska's spread-type option in the National Championship game when the stomped the ever-livin' shit outta Florida, Tommie Frazier was the QB)
Guess where his ex-right hand man is coaching this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »
The only gimmick I see in Gus' offense is that he is not scared to run anything at any time. Someone also mentioned the speed of his plays which is awesome. It keeps the defense from subbing and helps the "O" get some great matchups. I like zone blocking but hate it in the inside running game unless you couple it with a BOB. Also Alabama's offense is boring but effective and that is what Saban wants. Let the defense win the game and hopefully the offense won't turn the ball over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

jmar

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »
Who the phuk is Aimie Taluyo?...is she a real sportswriter for the Birmingham News?
No but she has written adds for Craigslist. '84 Ford PU. Would make good work truck. Till yesterdy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
The only gimmick I see in Gus' offense is that he is not scared to run anything at any time. Someone also mentioned the speed of his plays which is awesome. It keeps the defense from subbing and helps the "O" get some great matchups. I like zone blocking but hate it in the inside running game unless you couple it with a BOB. Also Alabama's offense is boring but effective and that is what Saban wants. Let the defense win the game and hopefully the offense won't turn the ball over.

What do you mean?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »
What do you mean?
He mean you gimicky, we not. Roll Tahd!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
What do you mean?

BOB means back on backer a lead block if you will. As mentioned zone blocking allows your RB to make his own decisions and create. When you are between the tackles creating could mean wasted time. When you man up, Iso and hit it running your success rate goes up. I like zone blocking for hitting the edge or when running in the ace formation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

boartitz

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »
What do you mean?
He means rush the fuck out of Mallett and pray that he don't chunk the ball.
Next year we'll have a dude that can run or chunk for 80. You may see him in mop-up against Bama in the 4th quarter this year. I luv subs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions