Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them

Token

Re: Bammer Excuse #4,325: Teams Have Bye Weeks Before Playing Them
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »
You may see him in mop-up against Bama in the 4th quarter this year. I luv subs.

We saw the back up in mop up duty last year in the Bama/Arky game.  Or course, that's because Mallett folded like a Lexington Steele hammered mommy part after we rushed the fuck out of him, and Arky was down by 28 points. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
We saw the back up in mop up duty last year in the Bama/Arky game.  Or course, that's because Mallett folded like a Lexington Steele hammered mommy part after we rushed the fuck out of him, and Arky was down by 28 points. 

It must be nice to live in the past.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
Seems like I remember this kind of talk from Arky fans before the '09 season as well. How did that work out for you guys? The past two years, Alabama has beat the dogshit out of Arkansas. You guys haven't really done anything to show that this might change. Yet another year of sub-par recruiting, and Mallett is still the only weapon Arkansas really has.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
BOB means back on backer a lead block if you will. As mentioned zone blocking allows your RB to make his own decisions and create. When you are between the tackles creating could mean wasted time. When you man up, Iso and hit it running your success rate goes up. I like zone blocking for hitting the edge or when running in the ace formation.

The base run game of Malzahn is gap scheme runs.  Either a pulling OL, and/or a blocking back leading the play.  Not usually ISO, but Trap, Power, and Sweep.  Trap and Power are both between the tackles, downhill runs.  Zone is a perfectly good scheme, the Colts have made a living off it, as did the Broncos Super Bowl team of the late 90s.  Well coached backs don't waste time in the backfield.  The inside zone is a good play, and hits the line hard if you have a RB that will.  Lots of teams zone almost exclusively.  It works.  But then so does gap/man schemes.  Just a matter of doing what you do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »

Their present aint no joke either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
The base run game of Malzahn is gap scheme runs.  Either a pulling OL, and/or a blocking back leading the play.  Not usually ISO, but Trap, Power, and Sweep.  Trap and Power are both between the tackles, downhill runs.  Zone is a perfectly good scheme, the Colts have made a living off it, as did the Broncos Super Bowl team of the late 90s.  Well coached backs don't waste time in the backfield.  The inside zone is a good play, and hits the line hard if you have a RB that will.  Lots of teams zone almost exclusively.  It works.  But then so does gap/man schemes.  Just a matter of doing what you do. 

I can't argue one bit with that but I coach high school ball and we need to be down hill. Some college teams need that as well. I will post more but my wife is bitching about some shit so I will see you guys later.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

boartitz

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »
I will post more but my wife is bitching about some shit so I will see you guys later.
I know who wears the britches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
I know who wears the britches.

Harvey and I are in the same boat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
Harvey and I are in the same boat.

Ssshhhh...keep your voice down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
I can't argue one bit with that but I coach high school ball and we need to be down hill. Some college teams need that as well. I will post more but my wife is bitching about some shit so I will see you guys later.

Agree.  But as a coach you know you have to have a good mix of "things you do" but that they have to compliment each other.  You can run a hodgepodge of plays.  Anyway...Malzahn was purely a gap run coach in HS, and learned the zone stuff when he got to college ball.  Herb Hand at Tulsa is a Rich Rod guy.  The zone scheme isn't Malzahn's base scheme, but if you're going to run the ball in college out of the shotgun, you pretty much need the zone plays because of the option scheme off of it.  It works well with PA passing too.  Malzahns bread and butter down hill plays are trap and power.

You can see the first play here, and at 1:33 the same play...they're run right at the 1 hole downhill.  It's essentially a trap play, but it's run with a Counter GB blocking scheme.  Pulling guard and lead H-back.  That's as downhill a play as their is, and doesn't require the Guards of Center to block mano y mano on NTs or 3 Techniques which are usually difficult for centers and guards to handle one on one at this level. 

Then there's the good ole power play, whic hits off tackle.  It can be run like this first play:

Then there's the Wildcat or QB power...shown at 1:17

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:06 AM »
Agree.  But as a coach you know you have to have a good mix of "things you do" but that they have to compliment each other.  You can run a hodgepodge of plays.  Anyway...Malzahn was purely a gap run coach in HS, and learned the zone stuff when he got to college ball.  Herb Hand at Tulsa is a Rich Rod guy.  The zone scheme isn't Malzahn's base scheme, but if you're going to run the ball in college out of the shotgun, you pretty much need the zone plays because of the option scheme off of it.  It works well with PA passing too.  Malzahns bread and butter down hill plays are trap and power.

You can see the first play here, and at 1:33 the same play...they're run right at the 1 hole downhill.  It's essentially a trap play, but it's run with a Counter GB blocking scheme.  Pulling guard and lead H-back.  That's as downhill a play as their is, and doesn't require the Guards of Center to block mano y mano on NTs or 3 Techniques which are usually difficult for centers and guards to handle one on one at this level. 

Then there's the good ole power play, whic hits off tackle.  It can be run like this first play:

Then there's the Wildcat or QB power...shown at 1:17

Dude you have done your homework. I like what Gus does and I could not compare myself to any college OC. I mean let's face it if I was as good as those guys we would not be typing to each other right now. I also like the traps and power plays. I like the fact that a "lead blocker" is in the hole before the RB. My personal preference is I do not want my RB meeting your MLB head to head in the hole. I also, like you mentioned above, do not like my OG and C mano y mano with a 3 or NT. I like a double and chip to the second level. I am just not a huge fan of zone blocking. I am not saying it does not work just my opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

Dude you have done your homework. I like what Gus does and I could not compare myself to any college OC. I mean let's face it if I was as good as those guys we would not be typing to each other right now. I also like the traps and power plays. I like the fact that a "lead blocker" is in the hole before the RB. My personal preference is I do not want my RB meeting your MLB head to head in the hole. I also, like you mentioned above, do not like my OG and C mano y mano with a 3 or NT. I like a double and chip to the second level. I am just not a huge fan of zone blocking. I am not saying it does not work just my opinion.
I'm a big fan of the Guard taking on the 3 Tech, one on one, then have the Center dive head first into the 3 Tech's legs.  The Center just needs to remember to stay really low, while hurling himself into the player's legs.  That blocking scheme isn't designed to open a hole, it's just designed to get the 2nd Stringer or Scrub player in there.

We really need to get Kao's point of view on this.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Token

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 01:01:12 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Guard taking on the 3 Tech, one on one, then have the Center dive head first into the 3 Tech's legs.  The Center just needs to remember to stay really low, while hurling himself into the player's legs.  That blocking scheme isn't designed to open a hole, it's just designed to get the 2nd Stringer or Scrub player in there.

You must have really enjoyed watching Auburn's offensive line for the last few years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 08:32:08 AM »
You must have really enjoyed watching Auburn's offensive line for the last few years.

He loves Hugh Nall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

Dude you have done your homework.

He's good at teh Al Gore Googles like VandyVol
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

No Huddle

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
[/quote

Why did you have to do that? I felt like he was the real deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
[/quote

The Quote function Always wins!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GH2001

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »

I'm sure he knows I'm just pickin'. I got no beef with JR4AU. In fact, his rants against Bammerham are great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
I'm sure he knows I'm just pickin'. I got no beef with JR4AU. In fact, his rants against Bammerham are great.

It's cool!  I know most fans don't give a rip about real Xs and Os, or at least not as much as I do.  Just enjoying the opportunity to disucuss them. 

No Huddle, I get it with you and zone blocking.  I like it because it's simple and easy for the O Line to understand, and it deals well with stunting defenses.  But not everyone makes a living with it. 

Dude you have done your homework.

I have, in fact, read Malzahn's book.  Not a mention of Zone in it.  All Blast, Gap, Veer, and Midline Option runs.   My personal preference is big, athletic, pulling linemen.  I really love that Power  with the backside G getting up a head of steam on his pull. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
It's cool!  I know most fans don't give a rip about real Xs and Os, or at least not as much as I do.  Just enjoying the opportunity to disucuss them. 

No Huddle, I get it with you and zone blocking.  I like it because it's simple and easy for the O Line to understand, and it deals well with stunting defenses.  But not everyone makes a living with it. 

I have, in fact, read Malzahn's book.  Not a mention of Zone in it.  All Blast, Gap, Veer, and Midline Option runs.   My personal preference is big, athletic, pulling linemen.  I really love that Power  with the backside G getting up a head of steam on his pull. 

I've heard the book is a good read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE