Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Peyton Manning

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Peyton Manning
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
...is the best Qb to ever play in the NFL.

He is the team. He does more with as little as anyone I have ever seen. If I am a GM, of all time, he is BY FAR, my number 1 pick. There is no one better in the history of the NFL to build a team around.

If there is one, name him...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

Re: Peyton Manning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
Ryan Leaf.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Birmingham

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:45:48 AM »
George Teague
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:26:28 AM »
Easy.....Chris Todd.  Second Choice, Daniel Cobb.  Championship!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
I agree WE....

Its definitely not Tony Romo.... :sad:   :rolleyes:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »
...is the best Qb to ever play in the NFL.

I wouldn't go that far. 

He might deserve a spot at the table, but he's not a lock to sit at the head of it.  This is another of those "ignore history and deify for the moment" issues. 

Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, John Elway and others, maybe even Marino, clearly belong in the conversation. 

Manning is a serviceable, but not spectacular, quarterback.  He really doesn't do anything all that well. Doesn't have a good arm, really, doesn't have good wheels.  He just makes good decisions.  Definitely doesn't like to get dirty and when pressured does get rattled. 

If I'm picking, I'd probably take Elway and Bradshaw before Manning.  But I also would have drafted Leaf over him, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I wouldn't go that far. 

He might deserve a spot at the table, but he's not a lock to sit at the head of it.  This is another of those "ignore history and deify for the moment" issues. 

Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, John Elway and others, maybe even Marino, clearly belong in the conversation. 

Manning is a serviceable, but not spectacular, quarterback.  He really doesn't do anything all that well. Doesn't have a good arm, really, doesn't have good wheels.  He just makes good decisions.  Definitely doesn't like to get dirty and when pressured does get rattled. 

If I'm picking, I'd probably take Elway and Bradshaw before Manning.  But I also would have drafted Leaf over him, too.

Bradshaw? 

I mean.  Yeah.  The guy was a winner as was Montana.  I don't think either of those guys would have done much on a team that wasn't laden with hall of fame talent. 

But you did get one thing right about Manning - his decision making.  I think his ability to read defenses and make the right decision is unmatched by anyone to ever play in this league. 

He doesn't have the arm of Dan Marino or the gall of Brett Favre or the gunslinger mentality of John Elway, but if I need a quarterback to lead my franchise, I'm picking Peyton Manning in his prime. 

Here's the five person table at The Gourmet Quarterback Club:

John Elway
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
Bradshaw? 

You ever watch him play?  He was crazy tough. Even with all the stars on the team, Bradshaw was what made it work. They were stars in some respect because of him, not in spite of him. 

Yeah, I'd take Bradshaw.  He was nuts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Bradshaw? 

I mean.  Yeah.  The guy was a winner as was Montana.  I don't think either of those guys would have done much on a team that wasn't laden with hall of fame talent. 

But you did get one thing right about Manning - his decision making.  I think his ability to read defenses and make the right decision is unmatched by anyone to ever play in this league. 

He doesn't have the arm of Dan Marino or the gall of Brett Favre or the gunslinger mentality of John Elway, but if I need a quarterback to lead my franchise, I'm picking Peyton Manning in his prime. 

Here's the five person table at The Gourmet Quarterback Club:

John Elway
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady 

No Montana or Favre?

And I was drunk posting. I don't really remember posting that.

I agree WE....

Its definitely not Tony Romo.... :sad:   :rolleyes:

Jeez..the Cowboys sucked yesterday.

As I say for every sport, for every team I follow, every year......

Wait till next year...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:52 AM »
You ever watch him play?  He was crazy tough. Even with all the stars on the team, Bradshaw was what made it work. They were stars in some respect because of him, not in spite of him. 

Yeah, I'd take Bradshaw.  He was nuts.

I must admit - I was negative ten years old when Bradshaw started his run of championships.  My opinion is based solely on commentary from NFL Films and what I've read about him. 

Tidbit - Terry Bradshaw wanted to quit football before LA Tech because he wanted to marry my great aunt and live on a farm with her in Louisiana.  She dumped him because she thought he was going to regret not pursuing football.  At least, that's how my grandmother tells it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »
No Montana or Favre?

And I was drunk posting. I don't really remember posting that.

I used to like Favre a lot, but he's a bit reckless.  I know that's his charm, but my five guys are less prone to lose a game by throwing interceptions. 

As for Montana, he's a lot like Tom Brady in terms of winning, but I think Brady has more talent. 

No question both of those guys could show up and get a meal at the table, but I can't knock any of my five guys off.  Elway and Marino are way too talented.  Manning is a safe pick.  Brady gets the championship vote, and Unitas invented the NFL passing game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
I'd have to go with Brett Farve. I have liked this guy as QB for some years. The dude is a senior citizen in terms of the NFL and is still lighting that arse up. Anybody see what he did to the Cowboys? Good grief, he made them look stupid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
Also, who else could provide quality vocals like Manning?  

"God dammit, Donald!" (Turn your speakers up)

And who could forget...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:54 AM »

You are wrong about the above assumption. He has a laser arm. Notice I said laser, not rocket. His accuracy and precision is unreal. And between the ears, he is probably the best that has ever played the game. He is smart - football smart. This guy can read defenses like a mofo. Which leads to him probably being the best in the game at adjustments and calling the right audibles. I think his brother probably runs the play action a little better because he is a better salesman at it, but Peyton is just a better body of work as a whole.

Never have  I seen a QB play head games, chess if you want to call it, with DB's as much as he does. He will lock onto a receiver, and stay locked, and at this point will have the secondary eating out of his hand THINKING they know where he is going. BUT - the whole time HE knows where he is really going. And just like that, a change of direction to receiver Y or a Flanker while the double coverage went to the X options. Freaking brilliant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jadennis

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

Manning is a serviceable, but not spectacular, quarterback.  He really doesn't do anything all that well. Doesn't have a good arm, really, doesn't have good wheels.  He just makes good decisions.  Definitely doesn't like to get dirty and when pressured does get rattled.  

Serviceable?  Come on...Greg McElroy is serviceable.  Trent Dilfer was serviceable.  Some of the all-time greats like Montana and Bradshaw were far more "serviceable" than Manning.

He may not appear to do any one thing well on the field, meaning, he doesn't have a rocket arm, and he can't run, but look at his stats and winning....he does everything as well as anyone has ever done anything.

Other greats may have a great passer rating, but don't have the overall personal stats.  Or some may have half the record book individually, but didn't win all that much.

Manning has it all.  Rating, TDs, completion %, yards, winning, etc.

Compare him to John Elway (16 seasons), Brett Favre (18), Dan Marino (17), Joe Montana (15), and Terry Bradshaw (14).

Seasons of 90+ QB rating:
Manning - 9
Favre - 9
Montana - 6
Marino - 5
Elway - 2
Bradshaw - 0

Seasons of 99+ QB rating:
Manning - 5
Montana - 4
Favre - 2
Marino - 1
Elway - 0
Bradshaw - 0

4,000 yard seasons:
Manning - 10
Favre - 6
Marino - 6
Elway - 1
Bradshaw - 0
Montana - 0

25+ TD seasons:
Manning - 12
Favre - 11
Marino - 7
Montana - 6
Elway - 4
Bradshaw - 2

Career completion %:
Manning - 64.8
Montana - 63
Favre - 62
Marino - 59
Elway - 56.9
Bradshaw - 51.9

Career winning %
Montana - 71
Bradshaw - 68
Manning - 66
Elway - 64
Favre - 63
Marino - 61

Career passer rating:
Manning - 95.2
Montana - 92.3
Favre - 86.6
Marino - 86.4
Elway - 79.9
Bradshaw - 70.9

Career TD to INT ratio:
Manning - 2.04 to 1
Montana - 1.96 to 1
Marino - 1.67 to 1
Favre - 1.57 to 1
Elway - 1.30 to 1
Bradshaw - 1.05 to 1

Not only does he throw for more yards and more TDs, he throws fewer picks and with the highest completion %.  Without looking at it, I would have guessed Montana was the most accurate, that Favre, Marino, and Elway had the most 25+ TD season, etc.  But the thing is, Manning does everything better than all of these guys....yards, accuracy, TDs, overall rating, etc.

By the way, I know Bradshaw played in a different era.  But still, even being a warrior, winner, and leader...his stats are mediocre at best.  He was known for being the leader of a team stocked full of hall-of-famers and winning Super Bowls.  He is kind of football's version of Reggie Jackson.  Jackson was known for hitting big-time home runs and winning World Series, but he's a career .262 hitter.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:37:57 AM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jmar

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »
Before Brady hurt his knee many would have ranked Manning behind him and I too would have drafted Leaf ahead of him because he moved his feet so much in the pocket but of all the others, I think Manning has developed himself more with less. He is very smart with defenses and I like his hungry attitude and reactions to failure.

Bradshaw would come off the field writhing in pain only to come back in on the next set of downs and throw a 60 yard TD. The dumb portrayal is just for kicks and plays well. I actually think the Pittsburgh-Oakland rivalry in the '70's saved the NFL as it was declining. Stabler does deserve the HOF induction if only for that alone.

Well there are brainy types, physical types and just plain winners. I would take Montana for the one game followed by Elway. Farve and Marino are top ten but numbers don't cut it with me here. I would take Namath over many others with bad knees (also my Andre Dawson argument). But that's for another time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Jackson may have been a career .262 hitter, but he was not called Mr. October for nothing:

WS avg (5 WS).

Batting:  .357
On Base Percentage:  .457
Slugging:  .755

HR = 10, RBI = 24

Like all the great ones, he showed up when it mattered most.  As for the QB debate.......I take Montana first then Bradshaw.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
Jackson may have been a career .262 hitter, but he was not called Mr. October for nothing:

WS avg (5 WS).

Batting:  .357
On Base Percentage:  .457
Slugging:  .755

HR = 10, RBI = 24

Like all the great ones, he showed up when it mattered most.  As for the QB debate.......I take Montana first then Bradshaw.

I should have known you'd chime in when I brought a Yankee into it....but that was just my point, most people would never guess he was a career .262 hitter because he erased that "number" with the way he won and performed when it mattered most....which is why I used him to downplay Bradshaw's lack of "numbers".

Interesting you'd take Montana.  I can see why....he was an amazing QB, but as others have mentioned, he did play on some of the best teams every put together.   To me, if you put Montana on these Colts teams, they wouldn't win as much, and if you put Manning on those 9'ers teams, they may have not lost a game for 4- or 5 years in a row.

I know, the swap game doesn't work....different teams, different eras, etc.  But as good as Montana was, I really do think you could have plugged in a lot of less heralded guys (like Warren Moon) and gotten the same (or better?) results.

Yankees suck.   ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
Also, who else could provide quality vocals like Manning?  

"God dammit, Donald!" (Turn your speakers up)

And who could forget...

Not sure what you're trying to evoke with those two videos, but neither really show any true leadership.  The pissy bitch fest with the OL is just ridiculous. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 06:22:41 PM »
I don't recall many of the others aside of Montana, Elway and Bradshaw that had memorable runs in the biggest games. That's why I would choose them, it is the intangibles that make them better than the rest, not their QB rating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions