Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dog Thread Part Deaux (Is Dr. Phil around?)

Dog Thread Part Deaux (Is Dr. Phil around?)
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
My wife and I got a puppy a few days ago.  We've been talking about getting one for months.  She's a beautiful, playful three month old Foxhound mix. 

The problem?  I just realized I don't want responsibility a dog in the house. 

It's been three days since we got her.  What should I do? 

*My wife's never had a pet before.* 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Dog Thread Part Deaux (Is Dr. Phil around?)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »
Try and give her back to where you got her from and if she is adopted from the shelter, just take her back there. Even if you didn't get her from the pound, take her to an animal shelter now. Go ahead and do it now though. The animal shelters will find a good home for her.

Another option would be that you can act like her "foster parents" until you find someone that will take her. GO to www.petfinder.com and there is an on-line community where people want to adopt pets from "foster parents". That is what I would suggest since you already have her in your home to begin with.

It doesn't get any better if you really don't want her. If you can't take the time to treat her like she needs to be treated, find her a good home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
Shovel to the head will usually do the trick.  Especially at such a young age.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:39:58 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
I had a few moments of buyer's remorse after rescuing Brew....I was used to going where ever, whenever...and suddenly I had to think about something other than myself. It's a complete household change and you have to give it a little time. Christmas is a hectic time to try and train a new puppy...things will settle down after you have some time to focus on her. Once she's housebroken and aware of the boundries in the house it will be a totally different story. I think she'll add a lot to your life...and she'll add another dimension with you and your wife. Our dog actually completes our little family.

Just be patient...she knows you are her person already...but you are still getting to know each other.
And I don't think you are a responsibility shirker, THS.

If it doesn't work out...we have a few selfless puppy rescuers on this site.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:53:41 PM by AUsweetheart »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
Give it time.  We have 3 inside dogs.  They're family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:25 AM »
I had a few moments of buyer's remorse after rescuing Brew....I was used to going where ever, whenever...and suddenly I had to think about something other than myself. It's a complete household change and you have to give it a little time. Christmas is a hectic time to try and train a new puppy...things will settle down after you have some time to focus on her. Once she's housebroken and aware of the boundries in the house it will be a totally different story. I think she'll add a lot to your life...and she'll add another dimension with you and your wife. Our dog actually completes our little family.

Just be patient...she knows you are her person already...but you are still getting to know each other.
And I don't think you are a responsibility shirker, THS.

If it doesn't work out...we have a few selfless puppy rescuers on this site.

This helped a lot. 

The wife finished up Christmas shopping today, so I was left alone with the pup for five hours.  I spent about three of those five hours dealing with poo/pee in the house and absolutely no going outside of the house.  I think that stimulated the frustration....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:57:17 AM »
This helped a lot. 

The wife finished up Christmas shopping today, so I was left alone with the pup for five hours.  I spent about three of those five hours dealing with poo/pee in the house and absolutely no going outside of the house.  I think that stimulated the frustration....

Just be glad you didn't have to clean up after Jumbo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
Shovel to the head will usually do the trick.  Especially at such a young age.

The microwave is always an option, but make the popcorn first. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:02:47 AM »
This helped a lot. 

SCHEDULE...a puppy is like having a child, they need structure.  THS biggest advice I can give for potty training.  #1 get a crate (if you don't have one) it needs to be a crate that can be adjusted as the dog gets bigger, but that a partition can be used to keep a smaller space for the pup.  MOST dogs will not wet or poo where they sleep hence you want to keep the area of the crate somewhat small.  When you go out or go to bed put her in the crate, never use the crate as punishment...it should be her home. 

#2 Get her on a schedule, most dogs will shit right after they eat...they have the digestive system of a duck.  So, as soon as you feed the dog take her out maybe 5 minutes after shes done.   Also do NOT let her graze on the food, put the food down and let her eat it if she doesn't eat it after 15 minutes pick it up...she doesn't get fed until dinner time.  At dinner same thing, you need to get her on a schedule!

#3 Peeing is a wee (pun intended) bit harder.  A good rule of thumb is that a dog can normally only hold their bladder for the number of months they are +1.  So if the dog is 2 months old chances are she can only hold it about 3 hrs.  What I use to do is set a timer and basically take the dog out every 60 minutes...tell her go potty and then praise her when she does.

#4 Try to take her out the same door, and when you do take her paw and scratch it on the door.  Then take her out and follow rule #3.  Like I said dogs are a creature of habit, mine will scratch now when she needs to go out.

#5 Praise...Praise...Praise

#6 PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 When a dog pees or shits in the house...it is your fault.  You need to keep an eye on her, there are usually sign when a dog is about to go (see excessive sniffing or the dog circle). They cannot open the doors themselves and they can't talk..you have to be diligent...but don't worry they will get it and so will you. 

Buyers remorse happens with everyone.  Dogs are a big responsibility, but they are also great fun, hell I spent last night wrapping a damn gift for my Sadie last night.  I love that damn dog.

Finally, Jumbo needs to see her immediately!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:06:19 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
When a dog pees or shits in my house, it is their fault and I beat them with a rubber hose for said transgression. 

We once had a dog that stayed inside.  If she felt offended or slighted in any way she would find somebody's shoe and take a shit in it.   So if you had to restrict her to a certain area because you were cleaning or whatever, her sensibilities would be offended and as soon as you weren't actively staring at her?  Shit in a shoe. 

My dogs stay outside now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »
What Godfather said...All of it.

Crate training is by far the best thing you can do for your puppy, and yourself.  It will help teach the puppy how to communicate with you and it will keep you from having to clean multiple messes in every room in your house.  We also used the puppy pads to help with the peeing, but they only worked as well as we let them.  You still have to keep a watchful eye on them and let them know they need to do it outside too.

I have been where you obviously were as you typed this, and I know just how frustrating it can be.  Keep up the good fight, and before long you will be amazed at how you ever made it this long without a dog.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
GF and Buzz have the right of it.
Just keep in mind that she desperately wants to please you.... be patient until she learns how.

K, I can't even begin to address the shitting in a shoe issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
GF and Buzz have the right of it.
Just keep in mind that she desperately wants to please you.... be patient until she learns how.

K, I can't even begin to address the shitting in a shoe issues.
His dog hates Chizik too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »
His dog hates Chizik too.

I bet Chizik would shit in his shoe.

This is why dogs are better than women.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
This is why dogs are better than women.
Yeah but then you gotta clean the rest of the peanut butter off your dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
Yeah but then you gotta clean the rest of the peanut butter off your dick.

Well it's ok.  Cause it's your dog.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
Well it's ok.  Cause it's your dog.
no no...we got it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
the godfadder offers some excellent advice about crate training...scheduling...and etc.  if you plan on traveling with her purchase a traveling crate rather than a wire crate.

i don't agree about teaching her to scratch the door, especially if you have wooden doors.  as she becomes trained for outside business...she should come to you and you'll begin to recognize "open the fucking" door look.  

also, don't use...i repeat...don't use...potty pads inside.  

if you don't want to spend much time learning and reading about obedience training, i would suggest looking around for a class or two.  the skirt and you should both attend. a well behave dog is a respected dog.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:40:54 AM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
i don't agree about teaching her to scratch the door, especially if you have wooden doors.  as she becomes trained for outside business...she should come to you and you'll begin to recognize "open the fucking" door look.  
This is true our door is a french door without the mullions so she just scratches the glass which doesn't do anything.  I have heard of people using a bell.  Basic premise take a small bell and attach it to the frame, when you go to take the puppy out take her paw and hit the bell.  Then immediately take her out, she will start ringing it when she needs to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Ogre

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
18 posts in and no Old Yeller reference?  Color me disappointed.

When we bought our second dog (Baxter), I wanted to give him back for a solid week.  He cried, howled and barked non-stop when you left him.  Pissed and shit all over the house.  We worked through it (through my own personal house-breaking methods) now he's part of the family. 

Stick with it.  You'll be glad you did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions