Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dog Thread Part Deaux (Is Dr. Phil around?)

Token

Re: Dog Thread Part Deaux (Is Dr. Phil around?)
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
Bunch of candy asses.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
oh...i forgot.  

if you give the dog back after three days, don't have kids...they take 10 x as long to potty train...cry at night for the boob for months and break furniture for years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
oh...i forgot.  

if you give the dog back after three days, don't have kids...they take 10 x as long to potty train...cry at night for the boob for months and break furniture for years.

And, if you hit them in the face with a shovel, someone is going to find out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »
oh...i forgot.  

Ha.  Yeah this was part of my freak out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
18 posts in and no Old Yeller reference?  Color me disappointed.

When we bought our second dog (Baxter), I wanted to give him back for a solid week.  He cried, howled and barked non-stop when you left him.  Pissed and shit all over the house.  We worked through it (through my own personal house-breaking methods) now he's part of the family. 

Stick with it.  You'll be glad you did.
You know how you get a dog to do what you want?.....

You BEAT it!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
What Godfather said...All of it.

This isn't the same place that I remember...

Yeah but then you gotta clean the rest of the peanut butter off your tool.

Yeah, it is...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
This is true our door is a french door without the mullions so she just scratches the glass which doesn't do anything.  I have heard of people using a bell.  Basic premise take a small bell and attach it to the frame, when you go to take the puppy out take her paw and hit the bell.  Then immediately take her out, she will start ringing it when she needs to go.

The first post was spot on. 

The bell trick is what we did with Oscar.  Sally already came to us being house broke, but of course had to mark her territory when she moved in with us.  We don't even use the bell now.  They will go the door and either whimper or bark.   I wouldn't suggest this, but we have some good luck apparently.  We let ours out in the AM before I leave for work and leave them to run free in the house all day.  They don't chew on anything, they don't get into anything they aren't supposed to.  The few times they have ever peed or pooped was when we left for work at 7 and didn't get home until midnight or later. Luckily enough they did there business on a piece of scrap carpet that I got from a neighbor.  The pretty much have the run of the house and sleep when we are not there.  Once we are home, they are wide open until about 10:30.   Get her on a schedule and trained and you will love having a dog.

hell I spent last night wrapping a damn gift for my Sadie last night.  I love that damn dog.

Glad to see the wife and me aren't the only ones that are bat shit crazy.  She has even bought stockings for ours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »

This is why dogs are better than women.

this puts a whole different spin on those ugly women you claim to prefer. You're trying to get the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:05:23 PM by AUsweetheart »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
this puts a whole different spin on those ugly women you claim to prefer. You're trying to get the best of both worlds.
The force is strong in this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »

negative ghost rider.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
negative ghost rider.
Just throwing a theory out there, chief. The pattern IS full. ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »
Just throwing a theory out there, chief. The pattern IS full. ;)

I hope to one day be the man my dog thinks I am now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
Demon dog? 

Next issue -

Whenever we place the puppy behind a dog gate (in a small area of the same room we're in), she throws a psychotic temper tantrum.  I'm talking flailing against the gate and wall.  Biting the plastic wires of the gate.  Yelping, barking, crying, etc. 

I've tried just ignoring her until it stops, but it goes on for 30 minutes at a time.  Any ideas how to quell her freak out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »
Demon dog?  

Next issue -

Whenever we place the puppy behind a dog gate (in a small area of the same room we're in), she throws a psychotic temper tantrum.  I'm talking flailing against the gate and wall.  Biting the plastic wires of the gate.  Yelping, barking, crying, etc.  

I've tried just ignoring her until it stops, but it goes on for 30 minutes at a time.  Any ideas how to quell her freak out?

I think that is a waiting game. If she knows she will get you if she acts like that, she's got you...

Buy a crate....then put her in a sound proof room till she gets used to it...

*edit*

To add to this, my dog knows I don't let her out or tolerate her barking when she is in her crate at night, so she doesn't do it anymore. She used to, but after about 3 nights of no sleep, she has been good ever since. The first night was torture. The second night was a little less painful. And the third night it was only a wimper or two. From there on out, she knew that going in her cage was bedtime, or that we were going somewhere. When I am out of town though, she throws a fit because one of the kids will go and get her from her cage. It happens about every time...If she knows you will come get her, she will continue to do it and everytime you let her out, it will be worse the next time you try.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:33:56 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
Any ideas how to quell her freak out?

Taser...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
I think that is a waiting game. If she knows she will get you if she acts like that, she's got you...

Buy a crate....then put her in a sound proof room till she gets used to it...

We've got a crate.  She does great in it when she's tired.  Even if she sleeps for a few hours and wakes up, she'll just chew a bone or hang out in the crate until we let her out.   

But what just happened was something I've never seen.  The dog lost it.  I just watched a video on training dogs to deal with separation anxiety.  We'll try a few of the tips. 

Essentially, the video said to place the dog in an area (like the gated area of our den) and spending a few minutes.  Make sure the dog is calm, give it a command like "I'll be back soon" and walk away.  If it goes nuts, walk back to it, don't pet it, and allow it to calm back down.  Each time, spend a little longer away from the dog before returning.  If it can always get back to being calm, it should get to the point where the dog won't freak out as much or any at all. 

I'm sure I'll be back to report what happens and report any new oddities in my life.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »

Whenever we place the puppy behind a dog gate (in a small area of the same room we're in), she throws a psychotic temper tantrum. 

why do you feel the need to isolate her within the same room you are in?

dogs are pack animals...they want to be with the pack.  give her options such as a dog bed near the couch. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
why do you feel the need to isolate her within the same room you are in?

dogs are pack animals...they want to be with the pack.  give her options such as a dog bed near the couch. 

We were wrapping presents. 

I guess we could have put her in the crate in the other room.  Also, the $30 dog bed we bought?  It's her pee-station. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:03 PM »
Taser...

Bullshit.  Those taser cartridges are almost $30.00 a piece. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
Next episode - Dog has giardia. 

Oh yeah, she gave it to me too.   

And no, Jumbo.  It wasn't from fisting her. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions