Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburns next QB

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Auburns next QB
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »
Check out this link. Once your done reading the article, make sure you go down and tread the post by Zippy Gator.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310832-could-cameron-newton-be-auburns-next-quarterback
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Auburns next QB
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
I don't know if I believe that story.  It seems like every time an athlete gets in trouble with the police, there's a backstory that attempts to alleviate the severity of the crime. 

However, it does make me feel a little better knowing that Dan Mullen is recruiting Newton.  Mullen would know from first hand experience if the guy was a cancer.  I guess he has faith in him if he's willing to sign him at Miss St. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
Check out this link. Once your done reading the article, make sure you go down and tread the post by Zippy Gator.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310832-could-cameron-newton-be-auburns-next-quarterback

Good find.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
Bleacher Report = FAIL-a-PALOOZA

I know.  I used to contribute there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Bleacher Report = FAIL-a-PALOOZA

I know.  I used to contribute there.
Fuck the Bleacher Report.

I want to know what you think about Newton, K. Good...bad....you can't possibly be indifferent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
Regardless of where the article was found, the guy seems to be a good fit at QB. Call it a hunch, Newton will be signing with AUburn in the next couple of days. He will count towards last year.

He might have done what he was accused of, or he might not have. I agree that Mullen has more of an insight to what really happen than anyone and he wants this guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
He will certainly draw a heap of attention wherever he signs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
I'm inclined to think he did steal it.  If he didn't, wouldn't it be easy to just get the person he purchased it from to explain to the police that he had legitimately bought it?  Seems like an easy enough thing to prove if it's true.  

However, I'm okay with the fact that he stole it....if it's something that is not consistent with his character.  I mean, haven't we all done something dumb...especially at that age?  If he had been in and out of trouble through high school, at Florida, and now at Blinn, that would be different.  

But apparently this is the lone blip on the radar of his past.  It doesn't seem to be in line with his typical character, but rather a single act that was in contrast to his typical character.  

If that's the case, then I'm all for adding him.  He's obviously talented.  I'd sign him just to have him run over another Tennessee d-back (I mean d-bag) like in that youtube clip.  

Just think, if he is a good fit for the offense, we could ride him for two years, then have a junior Rollison step in for two more years (also assuming he is capable).  It would bring a lot of stability to have the next four years of QB play wrapped up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:27:59 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

LivnonaPryr

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
As long as he doesnt hold me up at the spur on university w/ a pellet gun I say he's cool.  As far as coming in and playing right away, God I hope so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
I don't know if I believe that story.  It seems like every time an athlete gets in trouble with the police, there's a backstory that attempts to alleviate the severity of the crime. 

However, it does make me feel a little better knowing that Dan Mullen is recruiting Newton.  Mullen would know from first hand experience if the guy was a cancer.  I guess he has faith in him if he's willing to sign him at Miss St. 
Word on the skreets....Another ex-Florida coach, Coach Charlie Strong, has tried to make contact with him about coming to Louisville.  So, that would be another coach with more knowledge about the situation than everyone else.  I say sign this bad mutha fucka up and let's rock this sumbitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jadennis

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
Again, I don't think that just because Mullen and Strong want him means he didn't do it. 

It could just mean, like my previous post was saying, that the mistake was out of character for him.  It could also have something to do with them being at Mississippi State and Louisville...but I doubt it.

I think most likely its because they know the kid to be a good person and that his mistake was an isolated incident. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

LivnonaPryr

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
Who hasnt bought, or at least thought about buying, something you knew was stolen? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Look if the guy has the talent you go after him. We'll worry about the pixie dust and sugar plums later on. :sneer:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:15:13 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
Who hasnt bought, or at least thought about buying, something you knew was stolen? 

I have supplied my whole house with stole......I mean under priced electronics. I just cant cash in on my warranties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

Listen to this man. 
The Auburn Conference Center will back me up on this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
phuk the Bleacher Report.

I want to know what you think about Newton, K. Good...bad....you can't possibly be indifferent.

But I really am sort of indifferent.  I don't care either way.  It's funny to me to watch a couple of people whose Rollison spuzz stains aren't even dry whirling around and having another spasming orgasm over Newton (again without ever seeing either guy play a down of SEC football). There's that. 

As for the character issues, I don't think Strong or Mullen's alleged interest is any indicator of his alleged angelic nature or that what he was charged of didn't happen. Nor do I take it as a sign that he's reformed in any way. 

Both Mullen and Strong are in a different (and theoretically more desperate) position.  Mullen has to draw a "big" name in order to make Mississippi State appear relevant and have a chance in a brutal recruiting war.  He'd take OJ Simpson and outfit him with new gloves if the Juice had any eligibility or talent left.  Strong needs to prove that he was the right guy to bring Louisville back to national prominence.  He'd sign Roman Polanski if he could get him in the country and if Polanski could throw the ball. 

Who isn't recruiting Newton?  Florida. A team that will need a quarterback with Tebow leaving.  Alabama. A team that doesn't have anybody behind McElroy.  Georgia. Tennessee. South Carolina.  Maybe there's a reason.  Maybe there's not. 

It's funny how fickle people are.  Tuberville is getting raped for being a lazy ass, sorry recruiting son of a bitch coach partially because in the last few years he took chances on a couple of guys -- Tray Blackmon for instance -- who had some baggage maybe and then didn't work out. 

Would Tuberville take a chance on a kid with baggage?  I don't think so unless there were extenuating circumstances.  Would he do so when he had a Caudle, who's patiently waited for his turn, and a Rollison -- who was supposedly promised by this staff that it wouldn't recruit another QB in this signing class?  Again, I don't think so. 

Does that mean it's wrong?  Not necessarily.  I don't know what they know.  Maybe they've figured out that Rollison isn't going to make it.  Going back on their word (if they did, in fact, make said promise) and recruiting a QB when they said they wouldn't is not a good sign for his future, honestly. 

A couple of people around here seem to think that experience is worthless (unless it suits their argument) but in the years I've spent around football I've seen a lot of coaches (people I worked with, too) bend rules or twist their own judgement for guys with talent.  It works out about 25% of the time.  We had one kid who got caught up with a bad bunch and stole a bunch of TVs from the elementary school.  He took his second chance, worked his tail off and was a model student and player.  He rose above.  For every one like that, there are three others who are remain true to their upbringing and nature.  They end up being cancers. 

I don't know what this kid did for sure.  My best guess based on the information presented is that he did what he was accused of, got caught, got out of it (as most kids do unless its repetitive) and moved on.  If he put it behind him and it was an isolated incident, that's great.  But unless I have the chance (as Auburn's staff does) to look him in the eyes and ask the right questions, I can't say whether he's ready or not.  I trusted Tuberville to ask the right questions and make the right judgement.  He did it too many times.  Can't say whether Chizik can or not yet. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
Newton (again without ever seeing either guy play a down of SEC football). There's that.  

For the sake of accuracy, let the record show that Newton did, in fact, play at least one down of football for UF.

CAMERON NEWTON STATS   Passing      Rushing   
Statistics   Att   Comp   Pct   Yds   TD   Int   Rating       Att   Yds   Avg   TD   
2008   2   1          50.0   14   0   0   108.8       5   10   2.0   1   
2007   10   5          50.0   40   0   0   83.6       16   103   6.4   3   
Career   12   6          50.0   54   0   0   87.8       21   113   5.4   4   

He also beat out Tebow's heir apparent, John Brantley, to get these opportunities.

Not saying that it justifies any excitement over the kid, but I know how you like to be accurate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:24:41 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:55 AM »
For the sake of accuracy, let the record show that Newton did, in fact, play at least one down of football for UF.

Statistics   Att   Comp   Pct   Yds   TD   Int   Rating       Att   Yds   Avg   TD   

He also beat out Tebow's heir apparent, John Brantley, to get these opportunities.

Not saying that it justifies any excitement over the kid, but I know how you like to be accurate.
He's never wrong, remember.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »

Good pickup.   I knew he was on the Florida roster but wasn't aware that he'd played any.  

Doesn't really change any of the rest of my position in terms of whether he'd fit or not -- because even with this, I really don't know.  

Comes down to trust basically.  I trusted Tuberville to make the right decision in these cases.  If this kid signs with Auburn we'll get to see whether Chizik makes the right call or not.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
Good pickup.   I knew he was on the Florida roster but wasn't aware that he'd played any.  

Doesn't really change any of the rest of my position in terms of whether he'd fit or not -- because even with this, I really don't know.  

Comes down to trust basically.  I trusted Tuberville to make the right decision in these cases.  If this kid signs with Auburn we'll get to see whether Chizik makes the right call or not.  

Right or wrong Tuberville is not here to make that decision so that's a red herring.  Since we are discussing what Tuberville would or would not do, didn't didn't he recruit this kid to begin with?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."