Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburns next QB

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Auburns next QB
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
Good pickup.   I knew he was on the Florida roster but wasn't aware that he'd played any.  

Doesn't really change any of the rest of my position in terms of whether he'd fit or not -- because even with this, I really don't know.  

Comes down to trust basically.  I trusted Tuberville to make the right decision in these cases.  If this kid signs with Auburn we'll get to see whether Chizik makes the right call or not.  
Ok. I'm assuming this is genuine.

Has Chizik not suspended/let go enough impact players to let you even lean in favor of giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Rollison included, which is why this discussion is even being had.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
Don't know the situation with Rollison. Perhaps aftereffects void principal understanding about recruiting other QB's. If Strawberry could still hit 30-40 homers and drive in 100+ no team would look the other way if they needed the run production. Haven't seen evidence of Rollison or Newton being Manninglike as a passer though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
Ok. I'm assuming this is genuine.

Has Chizik not suspended/let go enough impact players to let you even lean in favor of giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Rollison included, which is why this discussion is even being had.

Not really.  He doesn't have enough of a resume to know if he makes the right decisions or not.  Was letting Eric Smith play the right call?  I might have done the same thing, but we don't have the information.  We don't know what he knew.  Maybe the guys he kicked out didn't deserve it and maybe Smith should have been booted. I really have no idea.

Not enough information to make a real determination.   Am I less concerned that he'll screw it up than I was a year ago when his name came up in the coaching search?  Somewhat, but not a great deal.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
Right or wrong Tuberville is not here to make that decision so that's a red herring.  Since we are discussing what Tuberville would or would not do, didn't didn't he recruit this kid to begin with?

I don't like the color red.  Can you make the herring another color please? 

I only put Tuberville there as a comparison.  As for whether he recruited him or not, that's another colored fish.  When he was being recruited then, had he stolen computers and been booted from an SEC team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
I don't like the color red.  Can you make the herring another color please? 

I only put Tuberville there as a comparison.  As for whether he recruited him or not, that's another colored fish.  When he was being recruited then, had he stolen computers and been booted from an SEC team?

Another point in the name of accuracy:

Newton was charged with receiving stolen property, not theft.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
Another point in the name of accuracy:

Newton was charged with receiving stolen property, not theft.

Hairs are split.  If only Tres Dumigos had your nose. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:53:39 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
Right or wrong Tuberville is not here to make that decision so that's a red herring.  Since we are discussing what Tuberville would or would not do, didn't didn't he recruit this kid to begin with?

Actually, I think the truth is that Tuberville was higher on Kodi Burns than he was on Newton coming out of HS. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
Hairs are split.  If only Tres Dumigos had your nose. 

I just know that you value accuracy.

I'm here to help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 12:03:17 PM »
But I really am sort of indifferent.  I don't care either way.  It's funny to me to watch a couple of people whose Rollison spuzz stains aren't even dry whirling around and having another spasming orgasm over Newton (again without ever seeing either guy play a down of SEC football). There's that.  

As for the character issues, I don't think Strong or Mullen's alleged interest is any indicator of his alleged angelic nature or that what he was charged of didn't happen. Nor do I take it as a sign that he's reformed in any way.  

Both Mullen and Strong are in a different (and theoretically more desperate) position.  Mullen has to draw a "big" name in order to make Mississippi State appear relevant and have a chance in a brutal recruiting war.  He'd take OJ Simpson and outfit him with new gloves if the Juice had any eligibility or talent left.  Strong needs to prove that he was the right guy to bring Louisville back to national prominence.  He'd sign Roman Polanski if he could get him in the country and if Polanski could throw the ball.  

Who isn't recruiting Newton?  Florida. A team that will need a quarterback with Tebow leaving.  Alabama. A team that doesn't have anybody behind McElroy.  Georgia. Tennessee. South Carolina.  Maybe there's a reason.  Maybe there's not.  

It's funny how fickle people are.  Tuberville is getting raped for being a lazy ass, sorry recruiting son of a bitch coach partially because in the last few years he took chances on a couple of guys -- Tray Blackmon for instance -- who had some baggage maybe and then didn't work out.  

Would Tuberville take a chance on a kid with baggage?  I don't think so unless there were extenuating circumstances.  Would he do so when he had a Caudle, who's patiently waited for his turn, and a Rollison -- who was supposedly promised by this staff that it wouldn't recruit another QB in this signing class?  Again, I don't think so.  

Does that mean it's wrong?  Not necessarily.  I don't know what they know.  Maybe they've figured out that Rollison isn't going to make it.  Going back on their word (if they did, in fact, make said promise) and recruiting a QB when they said they wouldn't is not a good sign for his future, honestly.  

A couple of people around here seem to think that experience is worthless (unless it suits their argument) but in the years I've spent around football I've seen a lot of coaches (people I worked with, too) bend rules or twist their own judgement for guys with talent.  It works out about 25% of the time.  We had one kid who got caught up with a bad bunch and stole a bunch of TVs from the elementary school.  He took his second chance, worked his tail off and was a model student and player.  He rose above.  For every one like that, there are three others who are remain true to their upbringing and nature.  They end up being cancers.  

I don't know what this kid did for sure.  My best guess based on the information presented is that he did what he was accused of, got caught, got out of it (as most kids do unless its repetitive) and moved on.  If he put it behind him and it was an isolated incident, that's great.  But unless I have the chance (as Auburn's staff does) to look him in the eyes and ask the right questions, I can't say whether he's ready or not.  I trusted Tuberville to ask the right questions and make the right judgement.  He did it too many times.  Can't say whether Chizik can or not yet.  

After going through and kicking out your crutches, bait lines you added, statements taken out of context and other BS, it was good to see an actual opinion.

Fact is, I agree with almost everything you said here.  Especially about Mullen.  I don't think Louisville and Strong  have a program that's attractive enough yet for Newton.

You can question the kid's past, but you have to trust that the coaches that have been eyeball to eyeball with him, and the kid appreciates getting the opportunity to get a second chance.  Some kids respond, some don't (ie; Tray Blackmon...)

I do believe that regardless of what's happened in bringing in a QB after what's been said to TR last year (as in not bringing in a QB this recruiting class) has to do more with the needs of AU and TR's maturity issues on and off the field.  I think TR is eventually going to be THE man for Auburn, or at least I hope with his talent, that the space between his ears allows it.   It appears that the coaches think with the great talent we have, plus the talent we have coming in that could impact immediately (Dyer and OL signees), that getting a QB that isn't going to be doing on the job training might be a better way to go right now.  We need a good QB, and Newton needs a good team now.  It seems to be a good fit both ways.

As far as Chizik goes, you're absolutely right, there's no way to know yet.  I AM encouraged at his tough stance on shenanigans so far, and would have to lean that he's doing it right behind the scenes there.

I think you finally said it best, when you said, "I don't know what they know."  

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:14:44 PM by AuburnChopper »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
Leaving aside the most recent ex-UF coaches, what do we think of Stoops recruiting the kid?

Surely he picked up the phone and called Foley to ask what the fuck went down.

Bob also has a much less desperate situation than Strong and Mullen.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:10:05 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Good pickup.   I knew he was on the Florida roster but wasn't aware that he'd played any.  

Doesn't really change any of the rest of my position in terms of whether he'd fit or not -- because even with this, I really don't know.  

Comes down to trust basically.  I trusted Tuberville to make the right decision in these cases.  If this kid signs with Auburn we'll get to see whether Chizik makes the right call or not.  

True that. No one really knows if any of our QB's would be the right call. Tuberville did handle the misfits pretty well. So far though, we have seen Chizik handle those that have not follow the rules in like manner has Tuberville, maybe even a little more harsh. Both of these guys have done a pretty good job keeping out of the media circus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »
Leaving aside the most recent ex-UF coaches, what do we think of Stoops recruiting the kid?

Surely he picked up the phone and called Foley to ask what the phuk went down.

Bob also has a much less desperate situation than Strong and Mullen.

Is his situation really less desperate than either Strong or Mullen?  He's another bad year away from having his pants on fire.  The OU crowd is sick of seeing the mountain but not getting to plant the flag when other programs kick them off the summit.  

He'd kill a thousand Ecuadorean housewives to get another NC and stake himself to OU until retirement.  I think he's definitely desperate enough to take a chance on a kid who was good enough to catch Urban's eye at some point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
Is his situation really less desperate than either Strong or Mullen?  He's another bad year away from having his pants on fire.  The OU crowd is sick of seeing the mountain but not getting to plant the flag when other programs kick them off the summit.  

He'd kill a thousand Ecuadorean housewives to get another NC and stake himself to OU until retirement.  I think he's definitely desperate enough to take a chance on a kid who was good enough to catch Urban's eye at some point.

I'd say he's less desperate (or should be) in that he's had quite a few years to stockpile talent.  He should have Bradford's replacement lined up (though, clearly the kid needs work).

Mullen and Strong need to start hard and fast.

I'm not familiar enough with OU's roster to know how desperate he could be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
Didn't Bradford's replacement, Landry Jones (sp?) play fairly well considering the position he was put in?  Oklahoma shouldn't be hurting too much in other areas.   Interesting take though....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »
I remember the impact Rudi Johnson had on a team and it gave Auburn instant cred and it is very possible that Newton could do the same. Would Tubs balk on this guy if there was interest? I'm guessing no and the difference in a tight ship is the captain but the circumstances are different in either case. The guy can change the landscape in the SEC West if not nationally and might attract some more talent than would otherwise be expected. Egos and chemistry aside, Auburn needs the best it can get.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »
Didn't Bradford's replacement, Landry Jones (sp?) play fairly well considering the position he was put in?  Oklahoma shouldn't be hurting too much in other areas.   Interesting take though....

What was OU's record this year?  

7-5?  We'd have been ready to run Tuberville if he'd followed 2004 with 7-5.  

11-3, 11-3, 12-2, 7-5.  I'd say they have QB issues behind Bradford.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »
Jones might have kept his scalp, but barely. Oklahoma has to be after Newton as well, damn west Tuscaloosa and becoming the next John Bond / Fourcade. Newton went to Blinn JC and that must have felt like a poor mans Starkville after Gainesville.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
Another accuracy point is that he wasn't kicked out of the Florida program.  He left on his own accord.  I haven't heard the exact reasoning (from his mouth), but I can say that he left on his own while the "charges" were still up in the air.  He likely would have been able to stay, but left knowing Tebow would be starting the rest of the time anyway.

Landry Jones isn't a problem in Oklahoma.  He played pretty well most of the time, finishing with a 129 passer rating.  The offensive line (which was mostly new this year) was the main problem (poor run blocking....the same two backs that ran for over 2,200 yards last year ran for less than 1,400 this year). 

They also played Miami and BYU in the non-conference schedule (2 of their 5 losses).  Then they lost to #2 Texas, lost 10-3 on the road to the same Nebraska team that almost took out Texas, and got beat up on the road against Texas Tech (where they haven't won since 2003).  They also currently have the #5 QB in the country signed for 2010.  OU is/will be fine.

Georgia signed two of the top 10 QBs in the country in their 09 class.  Tennessee already signed a JUCO QB (pro-style pocket guy) and a 4-star high school QB this year (and I'm pretty sure these yahoos wouldn't back off a kid for allegedly stealing a computer).  Alabama has 3 underclassman behind McElroy and currently has the #2 QB committed for 2010. 

Most SEC teams just really don't have a situation where bringing in a two year guy would be much of a benefit.
As of now, we're hanging our hat on Caudle (not quite a Todd), and a bunch of guys who haven't played, one of which is coming off an injury, and another who may not be around. 

Like I said before...he has no "pattern" of having problems.  He doesn't appear to be in problem kid, not in the least.  Buying a stolen laptop is hardly the sign of a team cancer.  I know when he ran over that Tennessee DB in the youtube clip, his teammates were going nuts for him on the sideline (St Tebow included).  He has a lot of energy, appears to be talented, and would/could be a nice bridge for the next two years until we get to Rollison or someone else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 03:54:33 PM »
Another accuracy point is that he wasn't kicked out of the Florida program.  He left on his own accord.  I haven't heard the exact reasoning (from his mouth), but I can say that he left on his own while the "charges" were still up in the air.  He likely would have been able to stay, but left knowing Tebow would be starting the rest of the time anyway.

Yes.  And Tuberville resigned. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
I know when he ran over that Tennessee DB in the youtube clip, his teammates were going nuts for him on the sideline (St Tebow included).
Didn't see where the clip was posted, but here it is for those interested...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions