Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why Didn't Iron Bowl Struggle Drop Alabama?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Why Didn't Iron Bowl Struggle Drop Alabama?
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/11/why_didnt_iron_bowl_struggle_h.html

Why didn't Iron Bowl struggle drop Alabama this year like it did Auburn in 2004?
By Kevin Scarbinsky -- The Birmingham News
November 30, 2009, 9:55AM

Pollsters threw cold water on Auburn's 2004 Iron Bowl win.

Mark Almond / The Birmingham News)That's what Auburn fans have been asking themselves and anyone else who will listen since Friday, since Alabama 26, Auburn 21, and it's a good question to ask.

Consider that the parallels between the 2004 Iron Bowl and the 2009 edition are striking.

In 2004:

Auburn entered 10-0 and was tied for second in the AP poll.

Alabama entered 6-4 as a 10-point underdog.

Alabama, playing inspired on its home field, took a 6-0 halftime lead. It was just the second time that season that Auburn had trailed in a game.

Auburn stormed back to score 21 straight points in the second half.

Alabama scored a late touchdown with 2:16 left to pull within eight, but failed to recover the onside kick and never had the ball in the fourth quarter with a chance to tie or go ahead.

In 2009:

Alabama entered the game 11-0 ranked second in the AP and BCS polls.

Auburn entered 7-4 as a 10-point underdog.

Auburn, playing inspired on its home field, took a 14-0 first-quarter lead and a 21-14 lead early in the third quarter.

Alabama gradually took control in the second half, on both sides of the ball, but didn't take its first lead until it scored the game-winning TD with 1:24 left.

The game wasn't over until Alabama knocked down Auburn's Hail Mary pass into the end zone on the final snap.

This is what I wrote from that 2004 game:

``Alabama wasn't the best team Auburn has beaten, but it was the most inspired opponent in the most hostile environment.''

I could've written the exact same thing Friday but reversed the names.

But the pollsters didn't see things the same way.

In 2004, after a closer-than-expected Iron Bowl, they dropped Auburn to No. 3.

In 2009, after a much closer call, they kept Alabama at No. 2.

My take: The pollsters got it wrong in 2004 but got it right this time.

Alabama shouldn't have dropped because it played like a championship team in the fourth quarter at Auburn. Auburn, which played like a championship team in the second half at Alabama in 2004, shouldn't have dropped, either, but did.

Why?

Any thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Why Didn't Iron Bowl Struggle Drop Alabama?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Alabama gradually took control in the second half, on both sides of the ball, but didn't take its first lead until it scored the game-winning TD with 1:24 left.

bullshit
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »

bullshit

Couldn't have said it better my self. Alabama Took control of the last drive...but that was converting SEVERAL 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 conversions. McElroy played well, really well, but Alabama damn sure didn't "take over". No fucking way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
Scarbinsky knows the answer to his question...I think he's Julioing here a little.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Birmingham

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
but Alabama damn sure didn't "take over". No phuking way.

After the 1st Qtr Auburn gave up 26 points while only scoring 7.

The last 12 possessions for Auburn went like this...

punt
punt
punt
fumble
punt
punt
touchdown
punt
interception
punt
punt
failed end of game hail mary
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
I would say because Alabama wasn't tied with anybody for 2nd in the BCS this season, and for that matter, the BCS formula has changed in the past 5 years. Does it really matter at this point? Alabama plays the #1 team in the nation on Saturday. If we lose, then it doesn't matter. If we win, even if we were #3 in the BCS standings, we would most certainly move up to #2, if not #1. Even if Alabama were ranked #4 in the BCS and still in the 90 percentile range, just below Texas, I'm sure beating the #1 team in all polls would shoot us up to at least #2.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:55:18 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »
After the 1st Qtr Auburn gave up 26 points while only scoring 7.

The last 12 possessions for Auburn went like this...

punt
punt
punt
fumble
punt
punt
touchdown
punt
interception
punt
punt
failed end of game hail mary
Auburn was also only able to move the ball just 118 yards outside of the first quarter as well. If our offense could just move the ball.....Don't get me wrong though, we didn't dominate this game or anything by any means.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:57:47 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
I think this screwed up season has had an effect on everyone. There aren't many solid teams, reminiscent of '81. Alabama has a fine defense which is consistent. Their offense however can be stymied by someone with some imagination though. This whole thing is about getting hot at the right time and drawing a favorable bowl match-up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
YAWN
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:38:48 PM by Mr. Sensible »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
Auburn was also only able to move the ball just 118 yards outside of the first quarter as well. If our offense could just move the ball.....Don't get me wrong though, we didn't dominate this game or anything by any means.

Yes I know what happened, but until Todd threw the pick, not a Bama fan could squeeze a turd. The sack was also a killer, but Arenas is what broke AU's spirit. #4 was a bad match-up early on. The rest of your bunch wasn't up to the task until our defense was totally exhausted.  Great game even in a loss. Has someone checked on Julio's arm? That thing was hanging.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
Yes I know what happened, but until Todd threw the pick, not a Bama fan could squeeze a turd. The sack was also a killer, but Arenas is what broke AU's spirit. #4 was a bad match-up early on. The rest of your bunch wasn't up to the task until our defense was totally exhausted.  Great game even in a loss. Has someone checked on Julio's arm? That thing was hanging.

Fisherman's elbow is a bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
Not really bull shit Kaos. The last quarter and a half Bama's D had made some serious adjustments and our yardage was paltry. This is also when Todd started being stupid. They made the adjustments to have a "chance" in the end. And when given that chance, they played the clock perfectly and did their thing. Do I hate them? Yes, but they played "the game". On the other hand, our clock mismanagement at the end of the game left me puzzled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
On the other hand, our clock mismanagement at the end of the game left me puzzled.

It' been a common theme this year.  We seem to do fine when we keep the tempo high but when we slow down to make sure we are doing the right thing we have stepped on our crank.  Just how it appears to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
It' been a common theme this year.  We seem to do fine when we keep the tempo high but when we slow down to make sure we are doing the right thing we have stepped on our crank.  Just how it appears to me.
While I agree 100% with the slowing down this year...was I the only one that noticed the sheer speed at which the refs all of a sudden showed in spotting the ball and starting the clock on that last ditch drive?  I swear I saw the umpire outrun McCalebb.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
While I agree 100% with the slowing down this year...was I the only one that noticed the sheer speed at which the refs all of a sudden showed in spotting the ball and starting the clock on that last ditch drive?  I swear I saw the umpire outrun McCalebb.

I didn't notice. 
I was too busy dropping tea leaves and cutting chicken heads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »

I never saw them run out of bounds?  :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
Not really bull poop Kaos. The last quarter and a half Bama's D had made some serious adjustments and our yardage was paltry. This is also when Todd started being stupid. They made the adjustments to have a "chance" in the end. And when given that chance, they played the clock perfectly and did their thing. Do I hate them? Yes, but they played "the game". On the other hand, our clock mismanagement at the end of the game left me puzzled.

At no point did Bama "take over" the game, despite Spencer Tillman's smirklingly snide "Alabama, dey's gonna wake up and dey gon' win dis heah game bys double digits" comment at the half. 

Fuck you Spencer.  Fuck you Tony.  Fuck you LSU homer hairpiece fuck who's name escapes me now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
Fuck you Spencer.  Fuck you Tony.  Fuck you LSU homer hairpiece fuck who's name escapes me now. 

You don't say much sir but when you do you get right to the point and I applaud you for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »
LSU homer hairpiece fuck who's name escapes me now. 

Brando? I thought he was in the tank for Ole Miss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions