Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fun and nut punching

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Fun and nut punching
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »
If I am not mistaken I thought I saw where we are actually averaging more running plays this year than we have in previous years. 
Yes, we are averaging more running plays, but we are also averaging more plays OVERALL.  Both running and passing plays have increased, but there has to be a balance for the overall offense to be effective.  Bottom line is that we do have to have effective passing as well - we can't just have adequate, "just don't lose the game for us" passing, we have to have a legitimate passing game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
Yes, we are averaging more running plays, but we are also averaging more plays OVERALL.  Both running and passing plays have increased, but there has to be a balance for the overall offense to be effective.  Bottom line is that we do have to have effective passing as well - we can't just have adequate, "just don't lose the game for us" passing, we have to have a legitimate passing game.

I wonder...

Has our running game been so successful lately because of the O-line, the RBs, the WR blocking, or is it because teams see Todd's sorry passing and refuse to stack the box in hopes of picking off his lame duck tosses?

I'm sure it's more the first three than the last.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »
I wonder...

Has our running game been so successful lately because of the O-line, the RBs, the WR blocking, or is it because teams see Todd's sorry passing and refuse to stack the box in hopes of picking off his lame duck tosses?

This and the revolutionalry idea of mixing it up out of the same...well...and multiple formations.  If nothing else, the running game is benefiting from imagination and good play designs...  I know...I know... It's revolutionary...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »
This and the revolutionalry idea of mixing it up out of the same...well...and multiple formations.  If nothing else, the running game is benefiting from imagination and good play designs...  I know...I know... It's revolutionary...

Yeah, this post was half-joke.

Half.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »
It's all about blocking and tackling.  Puttin' a helmet on somebody.  Fundamentals, that's where it's at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jadennis

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
It won't take a genius D-coordinator to figure out that in the passing game, they need to blitz and force Todd to throw to underneath routs and out to the flat.  I don't know that he can do that accurately and consistently.  Actually, as of now, I would say he can't/doesn't.

However, just like Torbush said after the game, if we keep the pace of play up, it makes substituting proper personnel for different defenses nearly impossible.  If we're running the ball successfully, and they have 3 or 4 linebackers in the game, we will run pass plays that create mismatches...like asking a linebacker to have to pick up a real receiver across the middle or follow one 25 yards down field.  

A defense can't have enough line backers to stop the run and enough defensive backs to stop 5 wide receivers.   One thing we know about Malzahn, his most genius characteristic (other than getting alarm clocks to make toast), is to make sure he orchestrates plays that suit his players strengths.  He won't ask Todd to do things he can't do well enough.  Just as Todd works on some of these things, Malzahn will be working on ways to create advantages that avoid Todd's weaknesses.

If he can lead Arkansas to 10 wins with Casey Dick at QB and Marcus Monk as the only legit receiver, he can lead us to some wins with Todd and the group of receivers we have.  They had McFadden and Jones, but so far Tate and McCalebb are no slouches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
It's all about blocking and tackling.  Puttin' a helmet on somebody.  Fundamentals, that's where it's at.

"Run the ball, play defense, knock the hell out of the other guy"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »
Bottom line is that we do have to have effective passing as well - we can't just have adequate, "just don't lose the game for us" passing, we have to have a legitimate passing game.

I agree. 

Jay Barker and Randy Campbell think you're silly, however. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2009, 12:21:41 PM »
I agree. 

Jay Barker and Randy Campbell think you're silly, however. 

I will have a chance to watch the replay on DVR tonight. Lets see if I can ignore his footwork while watching.
I would be willing to bet though, that after Malzahn has continued to repeat his concern with Todd we will see some changes in this by Sat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
I somewhat agree with your overall premise, but disagree with the minute details.

We are running more overall plays, but a vast majority of them are run plays. We can't suck a dick at the passing game (a'la last year), but we don't need a Heisman winner either. Our passing game has to be just effective enough to work when they are expecting us to run. Or for opposing defenses to have enough confidence in it, that they expect a pass when we can shove a run play down their throats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
Except for Dameyune Craig and Jason Campbell, haven't we had mostly "adequate" passers for the last 20 years?  I agree that we need some improvement from Todd in certain aspects (kill the back foot "jump shot" passes that have 4 second hang times, be more assertive in the pocket, etc), but I fee like he's pretty darn close to that "adequate" level of running this offense.  Like I mentioned before....he is at least as adequate as Casey tool was at Arkansas.

And while there is plenty to criticize about the first half last week, we can also go back and watch the fourth quarter of last years LSU game, where he showed he can actually make plays when needed as well.  We did take a lead late in that game, and in the end, he had 250 of our 320 yards (250 passing, and 22 rushing if you don't count sacks towards his rushing total....so really 272 yards).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:34:25 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »
Our passing game has to be just effective enough to work when they are expecting us to run. Or for opposing defenses to have enough confidence in it, that they expect a pass when we can shove a run play down their throats.

And this is what's happening.  Darvin Adams noted after the game that the DBs end up cheating up so much expecting the run, that receivers are left so open that it's almost the same as a blown coverage by the defense.

And the reason the DBs have to cheat up so much?  The defense doesn't have time to substitute back and forth in preparation for "8 in the box" on one play, and 5 DBs the next.  So they either go with enough up front to help against the run, or they go with enough in the defensive back field to help with pass.  One way or the other Malzahn creates a mismatch, or an advantage for his offense.  Then it's a matter of calling the right play, which he often does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Accept for Dameyune Craig and Jason Campbell, haven't we had mostly "adequate" passers for the last 20 years?  I agree that we need some improvement from Todd in certain aspects (kill the back foot "jump shot" passes that have 4 second hang times, be more assertive in the pocket, etc), but I fee like he's pretty darn close to that "adequate" level of running this offense.  Like I mentioned before....he is at least as adequate as Casey tool was at Arkansas.

And while there is plenty to criticize about the first half last week, we can also go back and watch the fourth quarter of last years LSU game, where he showed he can actually make plays when needed as well.  We did take a lead late in that game, and in the end, he had 250 of our 320 yards (250 passing, and 22 rushing if you don't count sacks towards his rushing total....so really 272 yards).

Reggie Slack and Jeff Burger hate you. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jadennis

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
Reggie Slack and Jeff Burger hate you. 

Okay, you got me on that one....so for the last 19 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Accept for Dameyune Craig and Jason Campbell, haven't we had mostly "adequate" passers for the last 20 years?  I agree that we need some improvement from Todd in certain aspects (kill the back foot "jump shot" passes that have 4 second hang times, be more assertive in the pocket, etc), but I fee like he's pretty darn close to that "adequate" level of running this offense.  Like I mentioned before....he is at least as adequate as Casey Dick was at Arkansas.

Except for that, I agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jadennis

« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
Except for that, I agree.

Can't believe I did that...it never makes SINCE to me when people swap words like that.

More amazingly I WANDER how Kaos missed it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:35:21 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
Can't believe I did that...it never makes SINCE to me when people swap words like that.

More amazingly I WANDER how Kaos missed it.

Their's something strange about that, but I could really care less.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

boartitz

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
Review the game thread. That will give you a timeline to watch for the WTF passes and such if you watch the replay. There were several. That's when the passing slacked off and the running game dominated.
Yall had no problem running the ball last week. The passing game was a pick six waiting to happen.
Once Todd faced some pressure, he was fooked and spooked the rest of the game.
Yall can't have that on the big jobs.
He'll either get coached up this week or look for more Kodi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
Todd will either settle down in the pocket, or by the time we get to LSU Tyrik Rollison will be following in the footsteps of Forcier at Michigan and Barkley USC and will be yet another true freshman leading his team.  One thing guys like Antonio Coleman had to praise about Rollison was his calm, "been here before" demeanor running the first team.

Games are different, sure, but for a kid who didn't even enroll early and go through spring ball to be that comfortable that fast, he may be worthy.

Again, this is assuming Todd can't settle down and games 3-7 (West Virginia through Kentucky) go badly.  This is also with the assumption Caudle's two passes last week were indicative of his ability as well (which is on par with my ability to play QB at AU....which is zero).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:43:53 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
Review the game thread. That will give you a timeline to watch for the WTF passes and such if you watch the replay. There were several. That's when the passing slacked off and the running game dominated.
Yall had no problem running the ball last week. The passing game was a pick six waiting to happen.
Once Todd faced some pressure, he was fooked and spooked the rest of the game.
Yall can't have that on the big jobs.
He'll either get coached up this week or look for more Kodi.
I agree with the fact that he had some bad throws, but I was watching the replay earlier and noticed that during the first quarter he had an excellent pass...under pressure too.  It was on the first or second drive of the game.  I'm just saying, it wasn't all bad...I.e. Tennessee QB last week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."