Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

#2 QB has been named.....

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: #2 QB has been named.....
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
Which is why I would like to get his feet wet by playing this year...not starting next year with never having played a snap.

I feel like kaos with this...I am unwavering on my opinion on this and there is probably nothing anyone can say to make me feel otherwise...

I am not drunk anymore...but still highly pissed...

I really don't see the problem here.  

If they intend to redshirt Rollison, he can't play anyway.  

Caudle has put in his time.  He's been a good soldier.  He's done what he's supposed to do.  Making him second string is a reward for that.  I'm personally glad he's getting that respect.

Tuberville burned a redshirt year on Burns in a panic -- the first mistake in a string of errors that played a part in his failure to develop as a quarterback.  

If Rollison redshirts, he can practice his ass off for an entire year.  I don't really know that a few mop up snaps at the end of a game will do him that much good.  

If Todd gets hurt (or just sucks monkey ass) then I think this situation gets scrambled again.  

But for now?  Caudle earned it.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
Isn't Caudle a Jr.?  I'd be okay with it if he plays well when and if he has to and we've got a smooth battle between him and Rollison.  Who knows, if Todd stop, drops and rolls continuously like he's on fire all year,  you might see what you want sooner than later.

Exactly...we will have another QB battle next year. That sucks. I want someone to be the man for the next couple of years and take control of the team. My point is this...if Caudle wasn't good enough to beat Todd, how much better could he be than TR. If Caudle really is that much better than TR, than we are screwed. Caudle had chance after chance after chance to win the starting job...and he couldn't do it. If we now have to depend on him...because he is that much better than TR...we are hosed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
Exactly...we will have another QB battle next year. That sucks. I want someone to be the man for the next couple of years and take control of the team. My point is this...if Caudle wasn't good enough to beat Todd, how much better could he be than TR. If Caudle really is that much better than TR, than we are screwed. Caudle had chance after chance after chance to win the starting job...and he couldn't do it. If we now have to depend on him...because he is that much better than TR...we are hosed.

I'm with ya, but... Maybe Caudle is better than TR right now?  You've got to remember that there is a BIG adjustment on the mental side also, along with the talent.  Caudle's been around longer, and maybe with some time, him and TR can really be a sweet tandom next year.  With Todd being a Sr and winning the job this year, I think he gets his shot this year and then that's over.  I just don't think we're in position YET to be where you want it. Even if I agree with you. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »

Caudle has put in his time.  He's been a good soldier.  He's done what he's supposed to do.  Making him second string is a reward for that.  I'm personally glad he's getting that respect.

Tuberville burned a redshirt year on Burns in a panic -- the first mistake in a string of errors that played a part in his failure to develop as a quarterback.  

If Rollison redshirts, he can practice his ass off for an entire year.  I don't really know that a few mop up snaps at the end of a game will do him that much good.  

If Todd gets hurt (or just sucks monkey ass) then I think this situation gets scrambled again.  

Playing experience is playing experience. I would rather a guy have taken snaps on the field, prepare for teams as if he was going to play both physically and mentally as he would have to do if he was the #2, study film and game plan on how to beat teams and read the defenses...and THEN start the next year. I can tell you from experience, you just don't mentally or physically prepare yourself to play during the week if you know that you are not going to be playing. PLUS, what kind of reps is TR going to get in practice? If he is not down with the scout team, he will be with the 3's? 3's...if there is one...get almost zero reps at practice. So if he is getting reps...it is down with the scout team, who is busy running the other teams plays...

I just don't like this move...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Playing experience is playing experience. I would rather a guy have taken snaps on the field, prepare for teams as if he was going to play both physically and mentally as he would have to do if he was the #2, study film and game plan on how to beat teams and read the defenses...and THEN start the next year. I can tell you from experience, you just don't mentally or physically prepare yourself to play during the week if you know that you are not going to be playing. PLUS, what kind of reps is TR going to get in practice? If he is not down with the scout team, he will be with the 3's? 3's...if there is one...get almost zero reps at practice. So if he is getting reps...it is down with the scout team, who is busy running the other teams plays...

I just don't like this move...

I understand what you're saying. 

But if the guy is going to redshirt, I don't want him taking any snaps.  He loses a year of eligibility. 

Realistically?  What are the expectations this year anyway?  Struggle through and maybe make a bowl game? 

I'd rather have a healthy Rollison with a year of adjustment time than I would throw the guy out there and burn a redshirt year on it.

This is also where I go on record as saying Rollison will never be all that anyway.  I don't expect him to ever be "the" guy.  I have no real basis for that, only instinct.  Been wrong before, but I can't remember when. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
This is also where I go on record as saying Rollison will never be all that anyway.  I don't expect him to ever be "the" guy.  I have no real basis for that, only instinct.  Been wrong before, but I can't remember when.  

May not be. From what little I have seen of him, the dude can ball.

If he is not the man...we are fucked...

And my expectations are to compete. Play hard every fucking game...for 60 minutes...and fucking get after peoples asses. It may not mean a 12 win season, but damnit, I want guys that have pride in wearing the jersey, and want to knock someones ass in the dirt...even if we are 5-6 and down by 30. The giving up bullshit that we did last year was too much for me to handle.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:25:16 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
And my expectations are to compete. Play hard every f*cking game...for 60 minutes...and f*cking get after peoples asses. It may not mean a 12 win season, but damnit, I want guys that have pride in wearing the jersey, and want to knock someones ass in the dirt...even if we are 5-6 and down by 30. The giving up bullpoop that we did last year was too much for me to handle.

Don't disagree here at all.  My level of disgust from last season was ramped up because I did see my team quit.  It quit in the second half of the WV game and never really tried (as a cohesive unit) again.  Just going through the motions hoping it would be over soon.  The look on Tuberville's face told me everything.  He did not know how to pull that group together and the season was lost.  I still think he could have fixed it long-term because ALL good coaches go through those valleys.  Paterno sure has. 

I do want this team to play hard from start to finish.  They leave it all on the field and go down fighting for each other and I can sleep at night win or lose.

But two things play into that.  

1) If they really hope to redshirt Rollison and stockpile for the next couple of years, playing him this year doesn't make sense. If the plan is not to play him...

2) Rewarding Neil Caudle is one way to build team loyalty.  I don't agree with much of what Chizik does, but this (in my mind) is the honorable thing to do. It tells the rest of the team that if they pay their dues they'll get a fair and honest chance.  And their work will be rewarded.  

The flip side is that they're really already writing this season off, though...  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:34:28 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

The flip side is that they're really already writing this season off, though... 

This...

And another thing...we will be having this exact same conversation next year...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »
This...

And another thing...we will be having this exact same conversation next year...

Kind of like the Franklin - Malzhan thing? 

I'm probably the only Auburn person on the planet still skeptical of the Malzhan deal.  I want a coach who looks at the personnel he has and devises a plan of attack built around their collective strengths.  I don't want a coach with a "system" that he has to try to fit people into. 

I think that bodes well for recruiting because in a year when the best athletes are receivers you can recruit.  You can recruit when the best guys are linemen.  Because YOU adapt and don't have to either find people who fit or have x,y,z skills. 

Think about the Dye years.  We were a running team.  Then we were a passing team.  Then we were a running team again.  Then we were balanced.  Then we sort of didn't do anything right.  Dye put people in a position to succeed based on their abilities.  He didn't have a "system" that forced them to be something they weren't.

I haven't said much because the leaders of the Franklin parade a year ago got out their floats and little go-karts and had a Malzhan parade this year.  Didn't really want to start that fight and the Chizik hire was spectacularly bad enough that it carried us through without needing the additional fodder. 

But I'm saying it now.  We've established that Auburn isn't Ames (and it really doesn't make a fuck anyway, that's irrelevant) but that being the case we should also clearly establish that Auburn isn't Tulsa or Springdale, either.  And that Felix and Darren aren't on our roster.   Maybe the guy can do miracles.  Hope he does.  But I heard almost exactly the same horn-tooting last season. 

BTW, how many of Malzhan's assistants did he bring with him?  I want to make sure we have that clarified since it was the reason Franklin failed.  How many?  Zero?  Yeah.  That's what I thought. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »

I emphatically agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
I'm probably the only Auburn person on the planet still skeptical of the Malzhan deal.  I want a coach who looks at the personnel he has and devises a plan of attack built around their collective strengths.
That's what you will get this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »

Bingo.  The wildcard is Chris Todd...period. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »

I think long term. 

This year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
Kind of like the Franklin - Malzhan thing?  

BTW, how many of Malzhan's assistants did he bring with him?  I want to make sure we have that clarified since it was the reason Franklin failed.  How many?  Zero?  Yeah.  That's what I thought.  
Coach Malzhan has assistants that know how to run his style of offense.  It's a form of the spread, mixed in with a form of the power running game and the Wild Tiger packages.  Coach Trooper and Coach Luper were the WR's and RB's coach at Oklahoma State, which runs a form of the Spread.  Coach Grimes was the OL coach at Colorado, which ran Coach Hawkin's form of the Spread.  So, it isn't the same situation that we had last year, where Coach Franklin basically had to teach the other coaches on how to teach their position.  

Also, Coach Franklin never wanted to pound the rock...he probably doesn't know how to, he wanted to use his system and his system only, eventhough it wasn't working, he had DVDs that he was still trying to sell.

To compare Coach Malzhan to Coach Franklin is like trying to compare a fresh apple to a steaming pile of dog sheet.

Coach Malzhan coaches his QBs, he's on the field with them, if they make a mistake he tells them what they did wrong and how to correct it...then they run the same play again, he's going to be on the sidelines during the games, so that he can look in his QB's eyes and help them, if need be.

Coach Franklin stood off to the side during practices, if the QBs made a mistake....oh well, onto the next play.  The QBs had to learn on their own on what they did wrong and how to correct it.  He was on the sidelines during some games, but stated that he liked being in the press box so he could see the whole field...and probably so that he could sneak some Jim & Coke.  But while he was on the sidelines, I never saw him talk to the QBs when they made mistakes after mistakes.

During their off periods, Coach Malzhan stated that he would be with his family....Coach Franklin, stated that he'd like to be in a bar away from the media....probably with his friends, the three Js.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:53:43 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
 :bs:  on your entire post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
:bs:  on your entire post.
It isn't Bullsh1t if its all true....and all of that was the truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
I think there's definitely something to the fact that Franklin did not bring his assisatnts, nor did he get involved with hands-on coaching (According to media reports) until it was too late.  I'm ceratinly no expert in the area of coaching or teaching offensive/defensive schemes, but I wouldn't imagine there's that much variance in the way you coach a position when it comes to a spread offense.  Meaning, if you run the spread, your linemen will most likely be blocking a certain way for passing plays and a particular way for running plays.  The OC will have the play book telling the WR's where he wants them lined up and how the patterns will be run.  The offensive line coach, who has coached spread offense blocking, will teach the guys how to handle their assignments and the receivers coach, who has coached a spread offense too, will work with the OC and study the playbook to understand how things are to be done...and he will coach it that way.

Franklin didn't have that...nor did he get involved one on one.  Malzahn has that.  The guys he's working with all have run the spread.  It should be as simple as Grimes and Taylor saying, "Give me the play book and tell me how you want it done"  Franklin didn't have it, nor was it demanded of the assistants.....FAIL!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Argo

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
nor did he get involved with hands-on coaching (According to media reports) until it was too late. 

I just got back from the skreets.  They told me that Franklin was afraid he would get his melon cracked if he went "hands on coaching."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 07:48:03 PM »
I just got back from the skreets.  They told me that Franklin was afraid he would get his melon cracked if he went "hands on coaching."

that might explain the nice shiner that he sported.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
 :suicide:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."