Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Chickenzik?

BAMAPERRY

Chickenzik?
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »
Auburn vetoes game

Efforts to match UCLA in a nationally televised game against Auburn to open the 2010 season fell apart when Auburn officials decided against the matchup, which was to be played in the Georgia Dome.

ABC was attempting to broker a deal for the game, which would have replaced one against Kansas State on the Bruins' schedule.

UCLA was offered a game against Georgia Tech instead but declined.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-football15-2009apr15,0,5484375.story
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

Re: Chickenzik?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
Sounds like UCLA was chicken too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:40:02 AM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Thats too bad, it would have been an interesting matchup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
I would have liked to seen this as well, but here is a question that I have........Why in the hell the Ga Dome?  Atlanta is a piece of shit to drive in, especially on a game day, or at least it is in my opinion.  If they want to play why not JHS and then we can go out there the next year or vice versa?  I thought the Clemson/bammie game last year at the Ga Dome was a shitty idea as well.  If bammie truly wanted to play them, then why not play them at home where they could get the revenue for it?  Vice Versa for Clemson as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »
I would have liked to seen this as well, but here is a question that I have........Why in the hell the Ga Dome?  Atlanta is a piece of shit to drive in, especially on a game day, or at least it is in my opinion.  If they want to play why not JHS and then we can go out there the next year or vice versa?  I thought the Clemson/bammie game last year at the Ga Dome was a shitty idea as well.  If bammie truly wanted to play them, then why not play them at home where they could get the revenue for it?  Vice Versa for Clemson as well.
I would like some more info on this to know why this was turned down by Auburn. Was this supposed to replace an already scheduled game? Is that slot still open on our 2010 schedule? WTF?

And GW, don't fag this thread up. We know what you're going to say. Chizik is a relatively small part of "Auburn Officials".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »
I'd like to know too.  UT and UCLA have been playing.  Bama had a series with them some years back.  An SEC/PAC10 matchup like that would be the tits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
I know the answer, let me relish in this for a moment...Ahhhhhh...feels good...

The reason we declined this game is because we already play a big out of conference game that year against Clemson.  We did not want to play two big out of conference games in one year.  Unless its a  :bowl: game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »
I know the answer, let me relish in this for a moment...Ahhhhhh...feels good...

The reason we declined this game is because we already play a big out of conference game that year against Clemson.  We did not want to play two big out of conference games in one year.  Unless its a  ::bowl:: game.

That's not the reason.  You just wanted to use the  :bowl: emoticon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

#2Bammer

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
Naturally, this is the topic du'jour on Finebaum and he's trashing the shit out of Auburn.

Sounds like this is 100% Jay Jacobs's call. The consensus is that Chizik wanted this game. Can we get rid of Jacobs yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »
Naturally, this is the topic du'jour on Finebaum and he's trashing the shit out of Auburn.

Sounds like this is 100% Jay Jacobs's call. The consensus is that Chizik wanted this game. Can we get rid of Jacobs yet?

Seriously.  I can see no problems arising from playing UCLA on national TV.  Do recruits and fans want to read about how Auburn did against La. Tech or watch Auburn play a traditional PAC 10 foe in prime time?  Would Auburn make more money and get more exposure by playing Furman...or UCLA?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
Seriously.  I can see no problems arising from playing UCLA on national TV.  Do recruits and fans want to read about how Auburn did against La. Tech or watch Auburn play a traditional PAC 10 foe in prime time?  Would Auburn make more money and get more exposure by playing Furman...or UCLA?
On the same argument though, don't we play a tough enough schedule as it is?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Yeah, no shit. Other than the obvious, this cost Auburn a buttload.

Having to pay the cupcake somewhere around $500k, then having a virtual home game in Atlanta, while not having to pay the overhead at the home stadium (consession workers, security, power, etc.)

By all accounts, we should win that game. UCLA certainly doesn't scare me. And we're not talking this coming year. This will be Chizik's second year. All the kinks should be ironed out by then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
I love love LOOOOve the way this is being spun by certain morons on here.
Have I not been preaching that this is the way things are being ran at Auburn now? Is this not further proof that mediocrity is the new standard chizik and jacobs and company are hoping for?
I have a great idea!! Lets give them a chance to see what they can do!! It can only be good!!
I hope those of you who support them and those who adopted a wait and see attitude are happy.

The rest of us... the Auburn supporters and family are upset and quite embarassed by this whole situation.
Get off your asses and make some phone calls to the University and the board.

Let them know that this bullshit situation has gotten out of hand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
Ummm I think it would have replaced Arky St. on the schedule or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
Tommy Tuberville brought a shitload full of criticism down on Auburn for being signed on and immediately canceling the opening game with FSU for the next year.  He had his reasons and as much as I liked him as a coach, that was one hell of a clusterfuck decision.  I don't know what the reasoning is behind this decision and don't know who's behind it, but I would like to know.

On the surface, I think myself and many others are intrigued about the possibility of this matchup.  But let's get all the facts before we tar and feather someone for the decision.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
The decision was primarily a decision to not give up the revenue's lost by losing a home game that's already on the schedule.  The invite has been extended to UCLA to fill an open slot on the 2012 schedule. 

I'd love to see us play UCLA, but I can also see a large loss in a budget that's probably already been raked over and set for a while.

JMO....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
Oh so to play a huge hyped early season made for maximum tv exposure semi bowl game in Atlanta would completely wreck a season and finances that a home game against Arky St. would save.
I agree whole heartedly. It is much better to beat a patsy at home (and on pay per view)than play a monster (with huge TV revenue and exposure to recruits) game. 
Last year bama was supposed to be bitch slapped in this game and instead began a hell of a run. They gave up a minor home game to play in it.
They are expanding their stadium.
The excuse given by JJ (and chopper, prowly and company) is pure lying chickenshit and everyone knows it.

This is a serious embarassment for Auburn.

But we should be used to that since December. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions