Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Could Bama Lose Another Coordinator?

Could Bama Lose Another Coordinator?
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »
Seeing more than just the standard rumor mills flying in regards to McElwain leaving after NSD for an NFL gig.

What have any of you heard?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Could Bama Lose Another Coordinator?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:22:39 PM »
I'm hearing the same.  From what I've picked up...Kevin Steele, Lance Thompson, Curt Cignetti, and Jim McElwain stood up to leave the Athletic Building at or around 10:45 on Christmas Eve.  Coach $ proceded to cuss them out and threw one of his epic fits for wanting to be at home with their families.  So, I'm hearing that McElwain decided to stay on until after Signing Day and Cignetti will be staying on to be the OC.

Thompson is now out there telling all the recruits, that'll listen, that McElwain is leaving....He's also telling them about Saban's "actual" plans for them. Many of the guys that Coach $ is telling that they'll be used one way, but plans to use them another way....or telling them that there's a spot open for playing time when he knows that there isn't.  TIFWIW

The hilarious thing about this, well aside from uat losing another coordinator...if this is true, is that a bammer poster, on bOL (bammer On Line...that's uat's Rivals Message Board), posted the question about Jim McElwain......He has now been blacklisted for 3 days and the entire post deleted, LMFAO.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:31:30 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Birmingham

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
either prowler is copy and pasting or he's posing as a bama fan on Tide Sports.  Not that either of those are bad since I both copy and paste while posting as an auburn fan on that shit hole AUNation. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »

The hilarious thing about this, well aside from uat losing another coordinator...if this is true, is that a bammer poster, on bOL (bammer On Line...that's uat's Rivals Message Board), posted the question about Jim McElwain......He has now been blacklisted for 3 days and the entire post deleted, LMFAO.

Yeah, I saw where that guy talked about getting a 3 day suspension on Rivals...  He said any mention of that rumor on BOL will get you an immediate suspension and your posts deleted....  Took less than 2 minutes he said...hahaha..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
I hope it isn't true, but if it is, there isn't a damn thing I can do about it, so I'll deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
didn't a similar rumor come up about another Alabama coordinator like 2 weeks before signing day last year? i think it was Kevin Steele last time, and we were evil for misleading recruits and waiting until after NSD to tell them, blah blah blah. i guess its a popular thing to float right before NSD.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
didn't a similar rumor come up about another Alabama coordinator like 2 weeks before signing day last year? i think it was Kevin Steele last time, and we were evil for misleading recruits and waiting until after NSD to tell them, blah blah blah. i guess its a popular thing to float right before NSD.

Evidently F'baum said something about it on Jox this morning.  Evidently it's gotten out that McElwain is not a fan of Saban's BS. 

You can say it's rumor, but it's not like coaches HAVEN'T been leaving this time.  We'll just have to see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
This can't be true.  I mean why would a coach want to get away from the Mighty Midget?  He's a god, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »
This can't be true.  I mean why would a coach want to get away from the Mighty Midget?  He's a god, right?
Well, one of the assistants recently hired has worked for CNS at LSU and Miami, so apparently CNS isn't that bad to work for, or maybe Sal Sunseri just hates himself. I'm sure Willis heard plenty about how horrible CNS is as well, and he didn't mind making a switch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
Well, one of the assistants recently hired has worked for CNS at LSU and Miami, so apparently CNS isn't that bad to work for, or maybe Sal Sunseri just hates himself. I'm sure Willis heard plenty about how horrible CNS is as well, and he didn't mind making a switch.

Who was the other assistant that CNS hired that worked for him before, and where did he come to Alabama from?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
Who was the other assistant that CNS hired that worked for him before, and where did he come to Alabama from?   
Sal Sunseri was hired to replace Kevin Steele. He worked with CNS at LSU, and to correct myself, he did not work with him at Miami. I guess I was thinking of somebody else who was rumored to be a candidate at the time. Anyway, he came to Alabama from the Jacksonville Jaguars. He began as a defensive assistant for them in 2002, and became the defensive line coach in 2003.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
Sal Sunseri was hired to replace Kevin Steele. He worked with CNS at LSU, and to correct myself, he did not work with him at Miami. I guess I was thinking of somebody else who was rumored to be a candidate at the time. Anyway, he came to Alabama from the Jacksonville Jaguars. He began as a defensive assistant for them in 2002, and became the defensive line coach in 2003.

Do you have a DC yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »
Do you have a DC yet?
We never lost our DC, Kirby Smart.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:46:27 AM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
We never lost our DC, Kirby Smart.

My mistake.  Who was Kevin Steele?  LB's coach or something?  (Are you going to tell me that while he didn't have the "coordinator" tag, that he wasn't the Defensive "head coach"...and was actually the DC in 2007?)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:54:14 AM by AuburnChopper2.0 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
My mistake.  Who was Kevin Steele?  LB's coach or something?

Mr. Assistant Head Coach.   :&
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »
My mistake.  Who was Kevin Steele?  LB's coach or something?  (Are you going to tell me that while he didn't have the "coordinator" tag, that he wasn't the Defensive "head coach"...and was actually the DC in 2007?)

He was the DC in 2007, and was the "Defensive Head Coach" in 2008. Basically, with the "Defensive Head Coach" tag, he was just an understudy of CNS imo. I think really all he did was handle the defensive coaches. When Steele was moved to Defensive Head Coach, Kirby Smart (who came with CNS from Miami) was moved to DC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
He was the DC in 2007, and was the "Defensive Head Coach" in 2008. Basically, with the "Defensive Head Coach" tag, he was just an understudy of CNS imo. I think really all he did was handle the defensive coaches. When Steele was moved to Defensive Head Coach, Kirby Smart (who came with CNS from Miami) was moved to DC.

SO, in other words, he was, what is in every other school in the nation, Defensive Coordinator.

Is CNS going to replace him, or is he just going to remain an unfilled hole on the staff? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
SO, in other words, he was, what is in every other school in the nation, Defensive Coordinator.

Is CNS going to replace him, or is he just going to remain an unfilled hole on the staff? 
Here's the thing: Kirby Smart was the one calling the defensive shots in 08, per CNS. While you and I both know CNS had a hand in it and everything filtered through him anyway, Smart was the one calling the shots. It never was entirely clear what exactly Steele's job was as Defensive Head Coach, except that he handled the day to day management of the defensive staff. From what I always understood, he wanted to make a run at the NFL again or possibly be a college HC again one day. He was head coach at Baylor for like 3 years and won 9 games, so it wasn't a great experience. As stupid as it sounds, he was pretty much just training to try and go on to bigger and better things. The two vacancies were created by Kevin Steele and Lance Thompson. Sal Sunseri was hired first, and James Willis was hired second. I don't know if anybody will get that Defensive Head Coach tag again really. If I had to guess I would assume somebody would.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:22:38 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
Here's the thing: Kirby Smart was the one calling the defensive shots in 08, per CNS. While you and I both know CNS had a hand in it and everything filtered through him anyway, Smart was the one calling the shots. It never was entirely clear what exactly Steele's job was as Defensive Head Coach, except that he handled the day to day management of the defensive staff. From what I always understood, he wanted to make a run at the NFL again or possibly be a college HC again one day. He was head coach at Baylor for like 3 years and won 9 games, so it wasn't a great experience. As stupid as it sounds, he was pretty much just training to try and go on to bigger and better things. The two vacancies were created by Kevin Steele and Lance Thompson. Sal Sunseri was hired first, and James Willis was hired second. I don't know if anybody will get that Defensive Head Coach tag again really. If I had to guess I would assume somebody would.

The last sentence was the only answer required.  Thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
The last sentence was the only answer required.  Thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions