Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bowl Games & Other Shit

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Bowl Games & Other Shit
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Well, it looks like the trend continues and is only ramping up with regard to players skipping bowl games.  3 of Meat Chicken's top players are opting to sit out when the Wolverines face Go Gaytah.  Bryce Love will follow the lead of former Stanford teammate, Christian McCaffrey, and stay home. LSU will be without the services of both starting corners with Greedy Williams sitting and the other one injured.  Looks like UCF will get less than an SEC team's best again; however, their starting QB is done too. 

There's a long list of others around the country.  I hate it.  But I get it.  I love Bowl season and don't care how watered down it's become. Hell, I watch a little MACtion on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I just like having some foosballz to watch.  But the fact is, that watering down seems to make them less and less important every year and if I even think I'm a 1st or 2nd round pick, no way I'm going all Jake Butt and risking my future.  Butt was the Michigan TE that was a projected 1st rounder and in the meaningless bowl game, tore up his knee.  I believe he dropped to the 5th round if I'm not mistaken. 

We can make excuses all we want and Auburn should have never lost to UCF last year.  But, the reality is the team didn't care about being there and several key players either sat out or had mysterious injuries.  And why Paul Holland even played is beyond me.  He hurt the team as much as anybody else.  The SEC sack leader didn't even remotely attempt to do anything other than be a warm body and occupy a space out there.  Anyway, it looks like this is going to be the new thing in college football.

In other news, not good for Auburn, Oregon QB Justin Herbert decided to return to the Ducks for next season.  The 6'6" 230 pounder is fairly bad ass and was projected as a high first round pick.  Can't wait for the opener next season.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Bowl Games & Other Shit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
Counterpoint:  the stumblefucking around in the Cheez-It bowl was gloriously farcical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
Counterpoint:  the stumblefucking around in the Cheez-It bowl was gloriously farcical.
Holy HELL!!  Had to be one of the worst games I've ever watched.  And I did watch because I couldn't find anything else on the other 947 channels.  I couldn't turn away from the 27 interceptions in the first half alone. 

The only good thing that came out of it was I found out cheese doesn't have knees.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
Good stuff here. I watched to it was bad. It caused me to drink half a bottle of Christmas gift Bulleit. So I forgot most of it.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/12/27/18157269/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-2018
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »
Good stuff here. I watched to it was bad. It caused me to drink half a bottle of Christmas gift Bulleit. So I forgot most of it.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/12/27/18157269/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-2018
My favorite line in that.

The words “he doesn’t have full use of one of his feet” was uttered by the broadcast booth regarding Justin Rogers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
Is it an OCD fear to think the the Bowl games will get even more watered down than they already are? What I mean is, it seems more and more players are opting out of Bowl games. You know, the ones are bad azz. I dont know, I fear that my favorite sport in the collegiate level will continue to get more and more like some semi-pro imitation. That equals not fun. I understand these are looking out for their best interest but dayum lets have some heart for the college that got you there, ya know. Simp out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
My favorite line in that.

The words “he doesn’t have full use of one of his feet” was uttered by the broadcast booth regarding Justin Rogers.
Well damn, I hope he is ok. :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
Is it an OCD fear to think the the Bowl games will get even more watered down than they already are? What I mean is, it seems more and more players are opting out of Bowl games. You know, the ones are bad azz. I dont know, I fear that my favorite sport in the collegiate level will continue to get more and more like some semi-pro imitation. That equals not fun. I understand these are looking out for their best interest but dayum lets have some heart for the college that got you there, ya know. Simp out.
I forgot to mention Will Grier and their best O-lineman will forego the bowl game.  Seriously, WVU without Will Grier.  Why watch?

Again, I get it and I'd probably make the same decision if I were right on the verge of a big pay day and potentially securing my future. What I'm afraid we're going to see more and more of are players taking entire seasons off.  We've already seen Nick Bosa at THE Ohio State University basically say he's not going to try and rehab an injury and get back this season.  I think he just dropped out of school altogether to concentrate on prepping for the NFL.  Ed Oliver at Houston had some mysterious injury and essentially just took the rest of the season off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
I forgot to mention Will Grier and their best O-lineman will forego the bowl game.  Seriously, WVU without Will Grier.  Why watch?

Again, I get it and I'd probably make the same decision if I were right on the verge of a big pay day and potentially securing my future. What I'm afraid we're going to see more and more of are players taking entire seasons off.  We've already seen Nick Bosa at THE Ohio State University basically say he's not going to try and rehab an injury and get back this season.  I think he just dropped out of school altogether to concentrate on prepping for the NFL.  Ed Oliver at Houston had some mysterious injury and essentially just took the rest of the season off.
See, thats what Im talking about. If they didnt have the scholly to the University they played for, they wouldnt have the opportunity they have. So, where is the loyalty?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
See, thats what Im talking about. If they didnt have the scholly to the University they played for, they wouldnt have the opportunity they have. So, where is the loyalty?
This is just my opinion from the outside looking in.  First, I agree with the loyalty aspect of it, especially when it comes to players checking out early in a season.  A meaningless bowl game?  I can see that more.  But I see a total shift in player attitude when it comes to their relationship with the University they attend and play for.  It seems to me that more and more players are feeling used by the schools, some of whom are raking in untold millions off the players' likeness and performances. The position that they should share in that revenue is one I can see in theory but staunchly disagree with. 

Still, the players seem to be viewing college football as simply a means to an end and nothing more than a vehicle to get them to the show.  Obviously, that's already been the case for years in college basketball.  That's become a one year tuning up and maturing process for any player with the ability to play at the next level.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
Bowl season is meaningless. It’s a farce.  It’s be been watered down and rendered moot by the annual Bama Invitational Tournament, the event where nothing matters but the eye test and the regular season didn’t exist.  That crazy event where you don’t need to win your conference or even your division within your conference to qualify (if you have the right name). 

I’m to the point that I’d rather the bowls just be on-campus exhibition games where seniors and those declared for the draft can’t play.  

As for Auburn’s bowl game?  Why.  Why are we there?  Who cares? We are playing a team that just voted a terminally ill kid it’s captain.  Do we even want to win if its going to make him feel worse?  But we will lose.  The offense will suck again, Gus will blame lack of preparation to get “his” offense in.   Mark it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
Bowl season is meaningless. It’s a farce.  It’s be been watered down and rendered moot by the annual Bama Invitational Tournament, the event where nothing matters but the eye test and the regular season didn’t exist.  That crazy event where you don’t need to win your conference or even your division within your conference to qualify (if you have the right name).

I’m to the point that I’d rather the bowls just be on-campus exhibition games where seniors and those declared for the draft can’t play. 

As for Auburn’s bowl game?  Why.  Why are we there?  Who cares? We are playing a team that just voted a terminally ill kid it’s captain.  Do we even want to win if its going to make him feel worse?  But we will lose.  The offense will suck again, Gus will blame lack of preparation to get “his” offense in.  Mark it.
But damn it, they've had a great week of practice.  What could go wrong?

On that note, I have to work tomorrow and most likely won't get to see any of it.  Strangely, I'm not that bummed about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
In the "Other shit" category, have any underclassmen besides Stidham declared for the draft?  I know I was texting with a couple of reprobates a week or two ago and was told Prince Tega Winebego was declaring but I can't find anything on it. Seems it's been strangely quiet.  Not that our defense was stellar by any stretch, but we could get obliterated by early departures.  Any word?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
Holy HELL!!  Had to be one of the worst games I've ever watched.  And I did watch because I couldn't find anything else on the other 947 channels.  I couldn't turn away from the 27 interceptions in the first half alone. 

The only good thing that came out of it was I found out cheese doesn't have knees.
It was like watching nascar waiting for the next wreck. 
True freshman vs. 12th year senior then melded into the only two remaining 12th year seniors playing their last game at QB!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
Watching Duke vs Temple now.
Why has Cutcliffe not made it big time yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »
He was on the verge and Ole Miss dumped him in a zealous chase for mediocrity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »
I would have taken Cutcliffe at Auburn in a heartbeat.  Only knock on him now is he's getting a bit long in the tooth.  No offense to CCTAU and Snags.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
I would have taken Cutcliffe at Auburn in a heartbeat.  Only knock on him now is he's getting a bit long in the tooth.  No offense to CCTAU and Snags.
Why would I be offended about Cutcliffe being our co.....say, wait just a damn minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »
Thank God I took Auburn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
Thank God I took Auburn.
It's early yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."