Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Music City Mirage

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Music City Mirage
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
It's easy for some to get caught up in the "Gus is a great play caller" hype after the record setting fun of the Music City Bowl.  And make no mistake, it was fun.  It's always fun watching Auburn physically dominate somebody. Malzahn's 'signature' offenses (circa 2013) were always fun to watch.  There's something inspiring about knowing the offense could score on every play. What we saw yesterday was the active realization of "what would happen if Auburn had a defense to go with that offense..." 

All of us as Auburn fans should enjoy the annihilation that was yesterday.  But take it for what it was. It was fool's gold.  Allow me to quickly recap the flaws of the Music City Mirage.

1. Purdue is an average football team at best.  Big10 teams have a habit of getting obliterated in bowl games against SEC teams. Still, that was an epic beatdown of unheard of proportions. Pantsing any P5 team the way AU did yesterday deserves some respect.

2. Gus has already proven that when he's doing nothing but calling plays and devising offensive schemes he can create an offense that's difficult to stop and relentless in its attack.  Remember 2013?  Most of the season was like yesterday.  Score at will.  The only reason any of those games were close (UGA) is that AU had no defense.  Somebody (and it was Kaos) noted that if AU had any semblance of a defense to go with that offensive attack AU would unleash raw hell on the CFB world.  Remember the wheels falling off at the end of 2014 and staying off pretty much until the last two games of 2017?  Somebody (it was Kaos) noted that once Malzahn had to actually do the job he was hired to do, the offense was a bumbling, stumbling mess. Malzahn can call plays and he can scheme (apparently).  But when he has to be the head coach and take care of all the duties that the job entails, he can't keep it all together. He can't live and breathe offensive schemes and still make the rubber chicken circuit, oversee defense and special teams, always be closing in recruiting, monitoring facilities improvements, managing the staff, making sure all the pieces and parts are in place and functional.  In order for his way to work, he has to keep his head completely buried in the minutiae of the offense and ignore everything else.  That isn't what a $50 mil a year head coach is supposed to be doing.  He had three weeks to deep dive into an offensive plan and shut out everything else.  That's what we got yesterday.  He can't do that over the course of a season and be the head coach. 

3. Yes, Gus was laser focused and the offense worked.  But he still suffered from puzzling personnel decisions.  All season long he's been trotting Baby Carlson out to try 94-yard field goals and running the risk of ruining the kid's confidence in the process.  At least twice, maybe three times yesterday he had an opportunity to reward the kid by letting him kick a makeable field goal in a bowl game.  Nope. Stand over there.  He almost never lets the backups (particularly at quarterback) get any meaningful reps.  Yeah, it was Stidham's farewell, but Willis (who obviously isn't even a realistic option) and Gatewood threw one pass each.  The pair combined for a total of eight passes for 24 yards on the entire season.  Going into next year, we don't know what we've got and neither does Gus. 

4. If this is what the AU offense was capable of all season, why were we (and the players) forced to suffer through inexcusable garbage like the Tennessee loss, the loss to MSU and other indignities.  As I watched the thrashing of Purdue unfold, I honestly felt a growing sense of anger and frustration at Malzahn's bumbling.  Somebody (it was Kaos) has complained about the seemingly perpetual squandering of highly rated classes. Yesterday shined a billion watt spotlight on that squanderance.  Gus can look all mad and intense like he's showing the world just how damn good he is, and the Creed thumping Malzahnites can crow all they want about how we got the old Gus back, but don't forget two things.  a) that's not his job and he shouldn't make $50 mil to only run the offense, and b) if that's what AU was capable of over the last three or four years then his failure to put the team in a position to be that successful is a massive failure as a head coach.  It's criminal almost. 

I enjoyed the win.  I felt bad for Tyler Trent having to sit there and watch that.  I'm torn over whether we should have scored at the end to set the record (we had the bottom of the bench in and they were still running their starting team, so I'd have been fine with punching it across).  Finally?  Despite what so many seem to think, I don't believe this win portends anything for next season or for Malzahn's renaissance.  It was a one-off, self-contained event.  It means nothing beyond yesterday's score. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: The Music City Mirage
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Can't argue with a word of this especially those last 3 sentences.  Well put.

Next year is going to be a disaster.  Our entire QB platoon boasts a whopping 14 pass attempts in live collegiate action the last two years.

Yesterday's gameplan falls face first into the sewer without Stidham's arm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:49:18 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
Can't argue with a word of this especially those last 3 sentences.  Well put.

Next year is going to be a disaster.  Our entire QB platoon boasts a whopping 14 pass attempts in live collegiate action the last two years.

Yesterday's gameplan falls face first into the sewer without Stidham's arm.
No disagreeing with either of you. 

We should have somewhat less talent on defense next season but that could change with a badassed edge rusher.

Offense is a little trickier. We are loaded at receiver but no arm to make it happen.
Have some talent at RB but we don't have a hardnosed front.
Willis can turn the corner but he and Gatewood both force handoffs to backs already in the grasp of a defender...makes me crazier than normal so don't talk to me about option football, not with our lack of push up front. 
And I already mentioned numerous times that I don't want to see Nix on the field with Malzahn coaching. Don't want to see the kid in a brace or walking boot primed for a permanent brace before Spring practice ends. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
Yesterday was fun because it's always great when AU wins.  It did zero to change anything for me with regard to Gus.  He may run up the middle 26 times in a row against Oregon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
I'm torn over whether we should have scored at the end to set the record (we had the bottom of the bench in and they were still running their starting team, so I'd have been fine with punching it across). 
We DID score. The refs took it away. A replay would have clearly shown JG scoring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
Yesterday was fun because it's always great when AU wins.  It did zero to change anything for me with regard to Gus.  He may run up the middle 26 times in a row against Oregon.
I just know the 27th time will work...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Did you see the Quack Attack against the Old Man Ball of Michigan State? Auburn will kill that team if they do that in September. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
Did you see the Quack Attack against the Old Man Ball of Michigan State? Auburn will kill that team if they do that in September.
We did all our damage on 1st and 2nd down. 
If we don't have to convert on third down we win it all...or most of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
We did all our damage on 1st and 2nd down.
If we don't have to convert on third down we win it all...or most of it.
I'm still wanting to know if we are going to win right away or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
He said we do our damage on first and second down, so that seems pretty right away to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
I'm gonna have to say no, not right away.  You'll take your four annual losses and like it, mister. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
No.  Not until late August.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »

oreygun will be even better in 2019.

i'd go on a limb to say they'll win the PAC 12 N.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »

But but but they’re so fast
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

chinook

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
But but but they’re so fast

pfft...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »

Be careful
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum