Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Worse offensive showing I have ever witnessed

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Worse offensive showing I have ever witnessed
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
Wish I could say I am surprised. Wish I could say I was wrong. Gus needs to be gone.

Let's just keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result...definition of insanity right? Nope definition of Auburn football.

What a joke...I feel bad for our defense. AUmazing performance only to be held up by a shitstorm. Twirly bird would have gained more yards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Worse offensive showing I have ever witnessed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
It's a trend. A big one. It's not hard to see. This ship is sinking and fast.

Gus needs to go now. And jay needs to be right behind him - or as jarhead said - we will be right back in this spot in 4/5 years ago.  I'm tired of the rinse and repeat bullshit with our program the last ten years. The occasional 2 great lightning in a bottle seasons in that span has seriously impaired our judgement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
I just rewatched some of this abomination.   

Stidham definitely sucks.  Panicking and running out of the box and NOT throwing the fucking ball away is fundamentally pitiful.  He shouldn't even have to be coached to do that.  As I said before, I saw a ninth grader in his first live action who was that situationally-aware Friday night.  He also never, ever, ever stepped up into the pocket.  His first instinct is to wander wide and lose four or five more yards. 

As hesitant as he was, though?  On most of the sacks watch the receivers.  They don't come off the line with any energy.  Every single route that I could see had them with their backs to the line of scrimmage and a DB in their pocket going straight down the field 15-20 yards.  Never even looking back.  No curls. No digs. No slants. No outs. Nothing.  No safety valve out of the backfield or from the tight end. 

First drive, first and goal.  Malzahn's ass puckered.  Score a TD there and I honestly believe the entire game turns.  When that drive choked? The entire offensive gameplan fell apart from that point on. 

Pettway was either injured or fucking high. His slow ass waddled up to the line and laid down most of the time. The problem is, he didn't really get enough chances to get into a rhythm. 

If my count is right we called 23 passes and six runs in the second half.  Every run was telegraphed and essentially the same vanilla play -- the only running play we apparently have. 

The way our defense was playing?  We should have alternated Pettway and Martin and leaned on them.  I'd rather run 23 times and pass six. 

We are not a pro-style passing offense. Malzahn cannot coach that.  I've struggled to try to pretend he isn't but the man is a one-trick pony.  He needs a quarterback who can keep defenses honest with the threat of the run and pass just a little.  He (or his staff) cannot coach receivers, have no idea how to develop a gameplan, don't know what to do if things aren't working (no adjustments) and have no clue how to fix it.  Hell, look at 2013.  How many plays did we actually run?  Four?  Five?  Even THEN we were complaining about the lack of WR routes.  The game plan was run, run, throw it as far as you can.  Marshall's ability to tuck and run, however, kept the defense from just bearing down and sending everything.

This looks very much to me like the 2012 abortion.  Stidham looked just as incomplete, ill-prepared and chickenshit as Moseley. What if Moseley (and Frazier and Johnson and the rest) actually weren't just garbage QBs?  What if they were all ruined by the Malzahn method? 

At some point this week I'm going to get tired of bitching about this.  And then I will be done.  Done with this season.  Done with this staff.  Done with this AD. Actually, I've been done with him since the very first time I saw him strutting through the press box after David Housel was replaced.  I knew what he was and I was right.

I'm going to find other ways to spend my Saturdays.   Dallas?  Come to South Alabama and we'll play golfs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Apparently Pettway was hurt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
Apparently Pettway was hurt.

Yeah, that was painfully obvious.  He was trotted out to be a decoy, but once Clemson realized that he was gimpy they unloaded.

We're back to the fundamental "plan B" problem.  There ain't one, regardless of the crisis.  Why no Malik Miller/Kam Martin combo in the absence of Pettway/Johnson?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
Yeah, that was painfully obvious.  He was trotted out to be a decoy, but once Clemson realized that he was gimpy they unloaded.

We're back to the fundamental "plan B" problem.  There ain't one, regardless of the crisis.  Why no Malik Miller/Kam Martin combo in the absence of Pettway/Johnson?
Because our coach/OC/Double Bubble marketing strategist is a complete dumbass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »
"This looks very much to me like the 2012 abortion.  Stidham looked just as incomplete, ill-prepared and chickenshit as Moseley. What if Moseley (and Frazier and Johnson and the rest) actually weren't just garbage QBs?  What if they were all ruined by the Malzahn method? "

This part ^^^???

Yes. This is how I'm starting to think. I'm not sure those qbs were bad. They weren't before his ass got a hold of them. All looked damn good in hs. And then suddenly they look lost and just suck? Nah. Not buying it. Marshall and Cam bailed him out with some extreme amount of talent and athleticism.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »

And johnson shouldn't be hurt. But they decided to run him 17 times in a little more than a quarter of football. Dumb. Reminds me of how richt rode Chubb his first two years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
And johnson shouldn't be hurt. But they decided to run him 17 times in a little more than a quarter of football. Dumb. Reminds me of how richt rode Chubb his first two years.

Do NOT google that.  What you find might blind you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »
Both defenses were lights out last night.  We held the defending national champs to under 300 yards and 14 points and lost.  And it really wound up not being close.  We talked a lot about Stidham and holding the ball etc.  But where he's at as a QB is not the problem, IMO.  The problem is obviously Gus Malzahn and his total lack of awareness.  What you saw last night was the night and day difference between a championship coach and one that's clearly in way over his head.

Our defense was kicking their asses.  So, what did Dabo and staff do?  They went to an offense that required the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly.  How many 7-10 yard passes did Renfro catch?  How many quick hitting slants, pick plays and underneath routes did they run?  Yes, they had a couple of unbelievably placed longer passes on their scoring drives, but 90% of their offense was an adjustment to account for the fact that our defense was in their faces.

What did Gus do? 90% of his pass plays were slow developing, down field pass patterns.  One pass to a back the entire night. One quick slant to Hastings the entire night. Anyone recall a 4th and 2 in the second half that we went for?  I believe it wound up in a sack.  Either way, the replay showed 2 receivers heading off into the wild blue yonder while one was trying to run a 10 yard out pattern.  Ryan Davis was our best receiver last night and the few passes he caught were all under 10 yards.  Wouldn't want to keep doing that, would we?   

We're loaded with talent, folks.  We just have a coach that literally has no clue what to do with it or how to counter what the other team is doing.  Dabo did.  He changed his offense.  He made adjustments.  He won another tight ball game.     
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:43:14 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:47:39 PM »
Both defenses were lights out last night.  We held the defending national champs to under 300 yards and 14 points and lost.  And it really wound up not being close.  We talked a lot about Stidham and holding the ball etc.  But where he's at as a QB is not the problem, IMO.  The problem is obviously Gus Malzahn and his total lack of awareness.  What you saw last night was the night and day difference between a championship coach and one that's clearly in way over his head.

Our defense was kicking their asses.  So, what did Dabo and staff do?  They went to an offense that required the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly.  How many 7-10 yard passes did Renfro catch?  How many quick hitting slants, pick plays and underneath routes did they run?  Yes, they had a couple of unbelievably placed longer passes on their scoring drives, but 90% of their offense was an adjustment to account for the fact that our defense was in their faces.

What did Gus do? 90% of his pass plays were slow developing, down field pass patterns.  One pass to a back the entire night. One quick slant to Hastings the entire night. Anyone recall a 4th and 2 in the second half that we went for?  I believe it wound up in a sack.  Either way, the replay showed 2 receivers heading off into the wild blue yonder while one was trying to run a 10 yard out pattern.  Ryan Davis was our best receiver last night and the few passes he caught were all under 10 yards.  Wouldn't want to keep doing that, would we?   

We're loaded with talent, folks.  We just have a coach that literally has no clue what to do with it or how to counter what the other team is doing.  Dabo did.  He changed his offense.  He made adjustments.  He won another tight ball game.   

Allegedly that's what this waffle house motherfucker is paying Chimp Lindsey millions to do. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:55:13 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
Allegedly that's what this waffle house motherfucker is paying Chimp Lindsey millions to do. 

Wow. Just wow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »

This is exactly why I want the change now. We can maybe win 8-9 games if steele is made interim and the actual offensive coaches run the offense. It's a better setup than what we have now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
This is exactly why I want the change now. We can maybe win 8-9 games if steele is made interim and the actual offensive coaches run the offense. It's a better setup than what we have now.

It won't be any different. The head of the hydra is still there planning for scoreboards and videodrone in JDH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
It won't be any different. The head of the hydra is still there planning for scoreboards and videodrone in JDH.

I seriously doubt though that he would get involved in playcalling directly. If he does we got bigger problems. I'm only advocating this to salvage the season for now. Can deal with the long term in December/January.

pj fleck anyone?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
I seriously doubt though that he would get involved in playcalling directly. If he does we got bigger problems. I'm only advocating this to salvage the season for now. Can deal with the long term in December/January.

pj fleck anyone?

He has gone through the Big D (and I don't mean Dallas) so his "moral score" is probably too low for Deacon Jacobs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
Give me Les Miles.

He's entertaining, loved by all and can recruit all while fielding an equally shitty offense with QB play second to none.

We still win at least eight games while we crack the code (pay him for staying away from the offense) in search of his eventual replacement-  a top notch God fearin' O.C./ QB whisperer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:01:05 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
I don't really care who was calling plays.  It is Gus' responsibility.

15 yds in the second half is very embarrassing. If we were competitive and in a position to win, I wouldn't be nearly as dissatisfied. We were never a threat in the 2nd half, imo. The same story we've seen over and over.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
He has gone through the Big D (and I don't mean Dallas) so his "moral score" is probably too low for Deacon Jacobs.

But his new wife has energy...and boobs. never mind. Jay hates the boobs...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
But his new wife has energy...and boobs. never mind. Jay hates the boobs...

Why would Jay hate the boobs.  He's a lesbian, isn't he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."