Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Quality Jounalism

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Quality Jounalism
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Really?  You couldn't come up with a better headline?

Auburn Cornerback Davis Thinks He 'Could Have Did More' Against Clemson 

Josh Vitale jvitale@oanow.com
  Sep 13, 2017 Updated 11 hrs ago
 ï‚†
AUBURN --- It would be easy to look back at Saturday’s performance and say Carlton Davis struggled at times in Auburn’s loss to Clemson.
The home team scored only twice on the visitors’ defense at Memorial Stadium, but both those touchdown drives featured a pair of completions with Auburn’s No. 1 cornerback in coverage.

On the first, Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant hit Deon Cain for a leaping, 20-yard grab over the head of Davis down the right sideline on third-and-2. Later in the same drive, he hit Hunter Renfrow in front of Davis for 5 yards on third-and-5.

On the second, the junior quarterback found Ray-Ray McCloud open in front of Davis for a 7-yard gain and a first down on second-and-4. Two plays later, Bryant placed a ball perfectly over the shoulder of the same receiver for a 33-yard gain down the left sideline.

“I know there are some things I have to get better at,” Davis said after the game. “I fought, but at the end of the day, we didn’t get the win, so there’s some things I could have did more.”

Kevin Steele, though, did not take any umbrage with the way his top corner played on Saturday.

“Everybody wants to say, 'Well, he had three catches on him.' Did anybody see the top knocked off the coverage? No,” Auburn’s defensive coordinator said Sunday. “They were contested throws. He was there and he was contesting and he was fighting.”

Bryant finished the 14-6 victory over Auburn 19 of 29 through the air for 181 yards. He targeted 11 of those 29 throws at Davis and completed six. The junior corner also committed a pass interference penalty.

“There were some 50-50 balls. He was in great position a lot of those plays,” senior safety Tray Matthews said. “I just kept getting in his ear like, ‘Hey, you’re one of the best corners in the league. You got it. Just move on.’ With corners, you always have to have that mentality to just move on to the next play.”

And Davis did make a number of plays. He broke up two of the passes thrown his way and also played a big role in holding the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Cain — a 724-yard receiver last season — to just two catches for 27 yards.

The 6-foot-1, 203-pound Davis was also stout in run support, as three of his team-high 11 tackles came on Bryant scrambles.

“They’re the No. 3 team in the nation. They’re going to have some plays,” Davis said. “We can only get better from here, and just know that down the road, plays like that won’t happen.”

They haven’t happened much to Davis in the past. The corner played through some nagging injuries in 2016 and still produced at an elite level for the Tigers, allowing just 37 receptions on 64 targets for 517 yards and two touchdowns, per Pro Football Focus. He also broke up 10 passes.

And though he allowed those six catches on Saturday, Auburn’s pass defense still ranks eighth nationally allowing 96.5 yards per game through two weeks.

Even if Davis does think he could have done more.

“That's a hard position to play, a very hard position to play. And when you've got an accurate quarterback and good receivers, they're going to catch some,” Steele said. “The key to it is, I don't think anybody can say they saw his man wide open. I don't think anybody can say that they saw his guy running down the field uncovered. There wasn't no question who had the coverage, because he was right there.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Quality Jounalism
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »

Auburn Cornerback Davis Thinks He 'Could Have Did More' Against Clemson 

Unless he was going to coach offense their was nothing he could have done.

Edit: Your post title is an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:51:10 AM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
I saw some really good throws and catches. I never saw a CB that looked lost.

I wish we had those throws and catches. But we aren't allowed to have nice things...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
to be honest and fair, the db's did a good job except for getting their heads turned and looking for the ball...there was tight coverage all night
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
I saw some really good throws and catches. I never saw a CB that looked lost.

I wish we had those throws and catches. But we aren't allowed to have nice things...
Bryant made the one throw that not even the best corner in the NFL could have stopped.

It ain't you Carlton....you "did" your best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum