Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jovon Robinson is R-U-N-N-O-F-T

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Jovon Robinson is R-U-N-N-O-F-T
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
Just for the record?

I haven't given up.  I haven't packed it in.  i haven't thrown in the towel.  Okay, I might have at least stacked a few things up in preparation and found a properly weighted towel just right for hurling, but that's all.  Doesn't mean I can't see writing on the wall. No quarterback that even looks like he's SEC caliber -- and the last one we had was a converted DB who went through juco. So how come in essentially eight years of association with Auburn Gus Malzahn cannot recruit an SEC caliber QB?  Trotter, Moseley, Johnson, Pike, Burns, Frazier, Wallace, Franklin, White... anybody else?  Our top RB dismissed. A defense that hasn't looked like much of anything for almost a decade.  My expectations have changed.

I'm not quitting on Malzahn.  In case you haven't noticed, I've found good things to say about every coach all the way back to Bowden.  Doesn't mean I see big issues with his approach to things, trends that alarm me, a significant failure to understand the task. He can talk about going back to the chalkboard and coaching as opposed to being CEO.  He's WrrrrrrrrrrONG.  If he has to do the grunt work himself, then he lacks the ability to make quality hires.  A program at this level needs a CEO, one who imposes his vision on the program and makes sure that the people he puts in charge of things execute his plan exactly as he wants.  He doesn't need to call plays, but he needs to have the final say in critical situations.  If he wants to call plays and be "that" guy, he needs to be OC and let somebody else run the show.  If I'm doing an eval of my employees and they have authority over others and they're doing as much or more actual "work" than their subordinates?  I know they're fucking up.  I've had that type try to impress me with their own production and I just don't care.  I only care about the collective of their group.  I don't do any actual "work" any longer at all.  I just make sure that each of the departments I have are doing what they're supposed to do (and all the contracts, negotiations, etc. that have to be done).  Hell, I sleep until at least 5:30 most mornings now. 

I'm not saying Malzahn made the wrong decision on Robinson.  In today's climate, if he had an altercation with a woman as is being alleged? Yeah, he had to go. No question, no other choice.  Right call.  But it's troubling to have the top returning offensive threat one year be a complete clown fuck up and nearly break the team and the next year be a complete clown fuck up who got himself booted.  I know "it happens on every team" but it isn't usually the guy you're counting on to be THE weapon.  How hard would we laugh at Saban's monkey ass and how much glee would we take in the foundation cracks if he'd booted Derrick Henry last fall and bumbled around with a sulking Amari Cooper the year before?  Yeah, he had to kick Robinson to the curb, but the fact that he HAS to and for the second straight year is dealing with a major discipline issue with a major potential contributor..... well, it seems to me that something internally isn't being handled the right way. 

I'm not giving up hope. 

I just don't think I want to strive to be "them" any longer.
A few things here that need addressing. 1. Why did you ever strive to be "them" in the first place? Srsly. If when I die, we aren't better than even in the series, I don't know if I will be disappointed but I doubt I'll be thinking about it. I think about it now but mostly, I'm thinking about the Clemson game.

2. Gus isn't wrong about taking the offense back over. He needs to dance with what brung him. He's a play caller. That's one of his four tays. He can do that and manage the team. Others have and so can he.

3. I agree that the roller coaster of QB situation since he's been oc or hc at AU is very concerning. I don't get why he doesn't just move on from Lash and get an oc that can better evaluate and develop qb's. I suspect he's too loyal.

But we all should forget his releasing Robinson and Duke. Criticize his taking the chance on them if you wish but not booting them. I think they were worth the risk and I'm glad he gave them a chance. They both blew it. Not Gus' fault. He had to do what was best for the team in both instances. It comes with the territory when you recruit guys that are rough around the edges.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
I'm thinking the spice may of got him.

Either that or CTE.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »
I have an extra spatula at the house if you need to get the egg off your face.

Prowler mic drop!
#Boom
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2016, 11:15:09 PM »
A few things here that need addressing. 1. Why did you ever strive to be "them" in the first place? Srsly. If when I die, we aren't better than even in the series, I don't know if I will be disappointed but I doubt I'll be thinking about it. I think about it now but mostly, I'm thinking about the Clemson game.

2. Gus isn't wrong about taking the offense back over. He needs to dance with what brung him. He's a play caller. That's one of his four tays. He can do that and manage the team. Others have and so can he.

3. I agree that the roller coaster of QB situation since he's been oc or hc at AU is very concerning. I don't get why he doesn't just move on from Lash and get an oc that can better evaluate and develop qb's. I suspect he's too loyal.

But we all should forget his releasing Robinson and Duke. Criticize his taking the chance on them if you wish but not booting them. I think they were worth the risk and I'm glad he gave them a chance. They both blew it. Not Gus' fault. He had to do what was best for the team in both instances. It comes with the territory when you recruit guys that are rough around the edges.
Like Dye, I'm good with beating everybody and splitting with them.
Agree about Gus. He can do both. And somebody takes a chance on these kids...might as well be us. Find a leader. Get a backup. Fuck the wildcat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2016, 11:31:53 PM »

"Trying to be them" is a little misleading I guess.  I know in my heart and from my own experience that when they aren't allowed to cheat like mad bastards, we own them.  It's just when things get like they are now and like they were in the 70s when they roll out all the talent money can buy and it's disheartening.  It's boring.  I don't really want to BE them, necessarily, I just want to play by the same set of rules.  I get tired of watching them brag and boast and steal trophies. 

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on Gus taking over the play-calling duties.   A long time ago when I was first put in charge of a furniture store the owner was down for a few days.  He looked around, brought me some new signage, some new displays and gave me some advice on how to redesign the sales floor.  I wanted to do a good job and I worked all day moving furniture, assembling stuff, tearing down the old signage and putting up the new.  Assembled bedroom sets, put legs on furniture, pulled stuff out of the back.  Dirty, sweaty, messed up.  Worked my ass off all day, like a dog.  Boss comes back in because we're going to dinner to go over some stuff. He was pissed.  Best lesson I ever learned.  I could either work or I could manage.  I could not do both well. So if I was going to rearrange furniture myself, he would hire a manager. Or I could manage and make sure the work was done by others. 

Same with Gus.  Look at Jacobs as the CEO.  He does.  Gus is in charge of one division.  He's got sales guys (the offense) and support techs (the defense).  He CANNOT be the one making the sales calls.  If he is, then he's wasting resources. 

I don't disagree with him dismissing anybody.  His call. I DO have a problem, however, when people who are supposed to be significant contributors crash and burn.  Jeremy Johnson got pumped like a motherfucker. In the Heisman conversation prior to last season and Gus did nothing to tone that down. His swelled head destroyed him.  Duke had an attitude that wasn't controlled.  Now Robinson has some kind of attitude issue.  That's almost an entire offense ruined.  Add Dyer to that mix.  Add him hyping Trotter and Cam as "dead even."  Add him struggling to choose between Frazier, Trotter, Moseley.  His judgment is fucking suspect.  Seriously fucking suspect.  And Flashlee's is even worse.  That cat doesn't know his ass from a burnt biscuit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2016, 12:29:23 AM »
Either that or CTE.

I thought he was bottomfeeder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:26 AM »
Stephen Davis is out for the season.  Second straight season he won't get to play while rehabbing injuries. 

Jeeeeeeez. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
Actually makes me feel better about the RB situation.  This wasn't a new injury and they're choosing to opt for surgery at this time.

From a depth point of view, it still sucks. I wasn't really thinking he was going to push for carries or anything but, like I said, my concern is the depth at RB after 1 week of fall camp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
From a depth point of view, it still sucks. I wasn't really thinking he was going to push for carries or anything but, like I said, my concern is the depth at RB after 1 week of fall camp.

It ain't worryin' me a lick.  It's just next man up.  And the next men up are Eugene Govan, Cedric Chambers and C.J. Tolbert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
It ain't worryin' me a lick.  It's just next man up.  And the next men up are Eugene Govan, Cedric Chambers and C.J. Tolbert.

Who?

In all seriousness, yes it is the next man up. I mean, when the door opens up, you best walk through with confidence because that opportunity may never become available again. I get that.

As a coach, I am wondering how much concern there is, if any. Your totally unsettled at the QB spot and have been since last year, you have lost your main two RBs from last year, the seat you sit in is hot as hell, and you have a new DC running the show on that side of the ball. Holy shit, thats a lot to be concerned about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Who?

In all seriousness, yes it is the next man up. I mean, when the door opens up, you best walk through with confidence because that opportunity may never become available again. I get that.

As a coach, I am wondering how much concern there is, if any. Your totally unsettled at the QB spot and have been since last year, you have lost your main two RBs from last year, the seat you sit in is hot as hell, and you have a new DC running the show on that side of the ball. Holy shoot, thats a lot to be concerned about.
Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man is here.  We need a live...is it a live rooster?  We're dealing with a lot of shit here!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man is here.  We need a live...is it a live rooster?  We're dealing with a lot of shit here!

You don't want a ballplayer; you want a stable pony.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
Stephen Davis is out for the season.  Second straight season he won't get to play while rehabbing injuries. 

Jeeeeeeez.
Thanks for the breaking news.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
Where is a Reid McMillan when we really need one?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Where is JR going to end up?

I wish him success. I just wish he could have held it together long enough to go crazy later...like TRE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
It can happen.....Who saw this coming?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »
Where is a Reid McMillan when we really need one?

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Hey 6, I know this is a Debbie Downer negative based on the video you posted.  But this is a prime example of why Tiny Tot Bowden turned out to be an epic FAIL as a head coach at the D1 level. 

He had the perfect formula. The perfect blend of players and play calling.  But...he tried to do exactly what he said he would...try to run his Diddy's offense.

He scrapped the Reid McMillan's, the Stephen Davis', the James Bostick's,and Fred Beasley, and opted for the Rusty Williams, Cencade Penningtons and Markeith Cooper's of the world.  He took what got him to 20-1-1 in the first two years....balled it up and threw it in the trash.  Fuck him!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2016, 11:42:02 PM »
Don't you dare dis the Lizard!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2016, 12:33:21 AM »
Hey 6, I know this is a Debbie Downer negative based on the video you posted.  But this is a prime example of why Tiny Tot Bowden turned out to be an epic FAIL as a head coach at the D1 level. 

He had the perfect formula. The perfect blend of players and play calling.  But...he tried to do exactly what he said he would...try to run his Diddy's offense.

He scrapped the Reid McMillan's, the Stephen Davis', the James Bostick's,and Fred Beasley, and opted for the Rusty Williams, Cencade Penningtons and Markeith Cooper's of the world.  He took what got him to 20-1-1 in the first two years....balled it up and threw it in the trash.  Fuck him!!!!

Well to be fair, didn't Tommy leave after the second year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.