Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fear of a Black Cam

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Fear of a Black Cam
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
I think they got the headline they were looking for out of him.

He said himself "I think it's a trick question."

Doesn't sound like he's playing the Jesse Jackson victim card to me here.

He was basically asked "why does everyone hate you?" and the part of his long-winded answer that all these headlines are focusing on is:

"I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to", which he later elaborated on with "I don't think people have seen what I am or what I'm trying to do."

I think he's more saying that people try to categorize him, define him, and put him in a box as "a black quarterback". I think he's saying he's doing his own thing and wants to be defined as an individual.
First of all, like I said before, I think his quote was widely misinterpreted (intentionally, for clicks) and certainly hugely magnified compared to what he actually said. He certainly didn't flatly come out and say "People hate me just because I'm black", regardless of how the headlines paraphrase.

Ahem...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/cam-newton-wears-zebra-print-pants-flight-super-bowl-article-1.2515582
“I said that I’m not a person that can necessarily be labeled because when I was coming out, I was labeled to guys that no longer are in this league,” Carolina’s quarterback said. “And I didn’t mean it to come off as a race thing. I didn’t mean it to come off as anybody that’s being brash or flamboyant about a specific question. I was just saying facts. I’m hoping to be a trailblazer, to give an avenue not only for African-American quarterbacks but athletic quarterbacks as well. You can be Caucasian, you can have any type of ethnicity outside of African-American, and that’s what I was trying to preach.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »
I hate Stephen A. Smith,  good lord he said the same thing 5 times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »
I stand corrected, it is from the beginning of last year. I think they just added a couple new nuggets because they added some info regarding this year.

FYI, this is basically the same thing, but in one video and with less stuff edited out.

Also, I think I've basically seen all this footage before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/694330212876685312
Peyton Manning, asked about Cam Newton "celebrating a lot": "If *I* rush for a touchdown on Sunday, believe me, I'll be celebrating"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2016, 11:00:28 PM »
Preach on Michael Irvin...preach on.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:28 PM »
Oh no...thugs everywhere

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:29 AM »
Pandering bitch

Have you noticed how this disgusting whore bag wears Chairman Mao outfits on a regular basis?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »
Have you noticed how this disgusting whore bag wears Chairman Mao outfits on a regular basis?

She'd wear a white sheet and hood if she thought it was worth enough votes or money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
She'd wear a white sheet and hood if she thought it was worth enough votes or money.

It's not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:58 AM »
Pretty good article about the undeniable Cam-hate that exists.  It says things I thought, but couldn't figure out how to say. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cam-newton-super-bowl-carolina-panthers-haters-letters

Newton won’t be hurt by his haters, too, which makes him even more disliked. There is no more frustrating thing than to dislike someone who doesn’t care that you dislike him.

It isn’t just letters to the editor and furious tweets that Newton is immune to. He’s immune to it all. Look at him this preseason, when he got into a fight with teammate Josh Norman during training camp. In the fight, Norman acted like anyone does when they get into a physical fight. He grimaced. He raged. He lost his senses, screamed and shouted.

But look at Newton. He’s … he’s smiling. He’s perfect. Josh Norman, grown man, a professional athlete, one of the most physically dominant defenders in a league of extraordinary athletes, is doing everything he can to hurt Newton. And Newton is smiling, perfectly, as if he knew the cameras were flashing, and who doesn’t want to look good for the cameras?

Or what about the car wreck back in 2014 that Newton was lucky to escape? A car wreck that saw Newton flip his vehicle over after colliding with a Buick, an accident that left him hospitalized with two transverse process fractures in his lower back.

Car wrecks are nothing to Cam Newton. He smiles through them, radiant, photogenic, beautiful. A wreck like that would send me into psychotherapy. I wouldn’t be able to drive a car again. Newton smiles for the camera. If death can’t frighten him, what hope does a letter to the editor have?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-would-hate-cam-newton-even-if-he-was-diff-52304

Area Man Would Hate Cam Newton Even If He Was Different Minority

SPORTS NEWS IN BRIEF
February 5, 2016

MURRAY, KY—Adamantly stressing that his disdain for the 26-year-old quarterback is not based on any racial prejudice toward African Americans, local 49-year-old Michael Willet told reporters Friday that he would hate Cam Newton even if the Carolina Panthers star was a different minority. “I just can’t stand the obnoxious way he plays and how he showboats after every touchdown, and I’d feel that way regardless of whether he was black, Hispanic, or Middle Eastern,” said Willet, adding that Newton having the skin color of any other minority group wouldn’t lessen his intense dislike for the quarterback’s sideline antics and flashy, arrogant demeanor. “The fact that he’s black has nothing to do with it. If he was a Mexican guy dancing all over the field after first downs and posing for the camera, I’d hate him just as much.” Willet added that he would always root against Newton no matter which white quarterback is on the other team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
And then you get the "old school" mentality.  If the 90's is old school.  From the Dan Patrick Show.

Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison had a reputation among his peers that he was the dirtiest player in the NFL. On Wednesday's episode of The Dan Patrick Show, Harrison showed that some of that reputation still lingers in him, when he told Patrick that, if he was playing against Cam Newton today, he would "try to take him out."

In a response to a question about having a problem with Newton's celebration dances in the end zone, Harrison said he doesn't have a problem with it, but he likely would if he played against him:

"The defense is different from when I came in the league back in '94, the mentality is different. You let a quarterback score, you let him dance, and you see it time and time again on film. If I was playing against Cam Newton, I would try to take him out. I would try to take him out."

Patrick: "What do you mean?"

"I would try to hurt him. I would go right to his knees. That's the goal. You want to knock him out -- that might be the difference between winning and losing the Super Bowl."

Harrison further explained that conversations about taking a player out would happen all the time back in the day, although the operative phrase there is "back in the day." If that happened today, arguably most people would look down upon that type of play, and it would likely throw gas on the fire that is the NFL's handling of concussions and CTE.

As for the Panthers, cornerback Josh Norman, who knows all too well about getting into it with an opponent, definitely had a problem with what Harrison had to say about Newton, per Newsday:

"It’s something I don’t think this game would want," Norman said during the Panthers’ media availability on Wednesday at the San Jose Convention Center. "I don’t think it’s something the Panthers would want, and I know it’s nothing that me, as his teammate, would want. I don’t want it to happen, period."

Later that day, Harrison clarified that he didn't mean he'd take out Newton while he's in the pocket, but rather when he "becomes a running back" outside the pocket.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »
Speaking of old school, I watched about 20 minutes last night of ESPN 30 for 30 about Da' Bears under Ditka.  Sweet Haysus, that was some violent footage. If you want to see how much this game has changed in a relatively short time span, give that a look.  They took pride in taking QB's out and the number of bone jarring head shots those guys threw was off the charts. 

I'm not happy with several of the changes made over the years but two things that just had to be changed were the blows to the head and going after knees, especially on unprotected QB's.  Giving someone a bell-ringing shot (Not spearing the head) and sending them to the sidelines with bats in the belfry is one thing.  Going after someone's knees and affecting a career has always made me cringe.  Not good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
And then you get the "old school" mentality.  If the 90's is old school.  From the Dan Patrick Show.

Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison had a reputation among his peers that he was the dirtiest player in the NFL. On Wednesday's episode of The Dan Patrick Show, Harrison showed that some of that reputation still lingers in him, when he told Patrick that, if he was playing against Cam Newton today, he would "try to take him out."

In a response to a question about having a problem with Newton's celebration dances in the end zone, Harrison said he doesn't have a problem with it, but he likely would if he played against him:

"The defense is different from when I came in the league back in '94, the mentality is different. You let a quarterback score, you let him dance, and you see it time and time again on film. If I was playing against Cam Newton, I would try to take him out. I would try to take him out."

Patrick: "What do you mean?"

"I would try to hurt him. I would go right to his knees. That's the goal. You want to knock him out -- that might be the difference between winning and losing the Super Bowl."

Harrison further explained that conversations about taking a player out would happen all the time back in the day, although the operative phrase there is "back in the day." If that happened today, arguably most people would look down upon that type of play, and it would likely throw gas on the fire that is the NFL's handling of concussions and CTE.

As for the Panthers, cornerback Josh Norman, who knows all too well about getting into it with an opponent, definitely had a problem with what Harrison had to say about Newton, per Newsday:

"It’s something I don’t think this game would want," Norman said during the Panthers’ media availability on Wednesday at the San Jose Convention Center. "I don’t think it’s something the Panthers would want, and I know it’s nothing that me, as his teammate, would want. I don’t want it to happen, period."

Later that day, Harrison clarified that he didn't mean he'd take out Newton while he's in the pocket, but rather when he "becomes a running back" outside the pocket.
The guy who smiles and dances is definitely the bad guy here, not the guy that says he "would try to hurt him" and "go right to his knees" to intentionally end his career for doing so.

Oh, and everyone dances when they score. Everyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »
I dance when I score
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »
I dance when I score

I break out the Truffle Shuffle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.