Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fear of a Black Cam

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Fear of a Black Cam
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29440206/cam-newton-im-an-african-american-qb-that-scares-people

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suggested for the first time Wednesday that race may play a factor in why he's become a lightning rod for public criticism.

"I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to," said the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Newton.

The No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL draft out of Auburn, Newton has his share of detractors who either don't like how he plays, his celebrations or his abundance of self-confidence.

Newton, a leading league MVP candidate who is putting up record-breaking numbers, said he learned a long time ago that he can't please everyone, and needs to be true to his personality.

"People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over," Newton said.

The stout and speedy Newton is beating teams with his arm and his legs, throwing for 35 touchdowns and running for 10 this season. He has helped lead the Panthers (17-1) to their first Super Bowl since 2003. Carolina plays the AFC champion Denver Broncos on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

Newton acknowledged being leery of talking about how others may perceive him.

"I think it's a trick question," Newton said. "If I answer it truthfully it's going to be 'Aw, he's this or that.' But I will say it anyway.

"I don't think people have seen what I am or what I'm trying to do."

Newton said he hasn't change, and has previously responded to his critics.

"I said that prior to me being in this situation," Newton said of being understood. "But when I said it then it was like, 'Oh he is immature,' or, 'Oh he's young and this that and the third.' I felt a certain type of way then and I feel a certain type of way now — nothing has pretty much changed. They talk about maturity. They talk about skillset. ... The only thing that has changed (about me) is that we're winning now."

Panthers coach Ron Rivera doesn't believe Newton should have to fight perceptions about race.

"I think he has always strived to have that separation," Rivera said. "I don't think he wants to be known as an African-American quarterback; he wants to be known as a quarterback. I think that is what drives him, to be able to transcend those boundaries, which I think is great."

Rivera, who is Hispanic, said he has battled that notion to some degree himself.

"It really should be about your merits more than anything else," Rivera said. "More about what you have accomplished, what you have done. I think that is how we should judge people."

Rivera said some people may simply not like Newton because of his personality.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Fear of a Black Cam
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
Wish he hadn't gone there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:30 AM »
Is it really all white people, are just mostly bammers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »
Wish he hadn't gone there.
Most racist people would prefer that we simply not broach the subject.

The more that we can have honest and open discussion about race, the more opportunity you will have to learn about the merit of reparations. Free your mind from the sins of your white forefathers, is my advice.

Honkey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
Is it really all white people, are just mostly bammers?

Thats what I was thinking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
No.  The haters don't hate because of race.  They don't hate because now you're winning.  They hate because you showboat more than anyone in the history of professional sports outside of Muchmahed Ali.  They hate because Terrell Owens has your poster up in his bedroom.  You give kids the TD ball.  You do great things for kids, charities etc. off the field.  But on the field, you make it all about you and people, outside of Carolina and Auburn fans, don't like that. There have been two brawls in the end zone within the last year solely because of it.  Here's Auburn's own Chucky B on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday:

"Let me tell you something, as much as I love Cam Newton, if I played against Cam Newton, I'd put a hit on him, no question, because they rub it in pretty good. It's fun to watch, I guess, as a fan if you like Carolina, and I like sports and they're having so much fun, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against, because if you're dabbing and Supermanning and kicking my butt, I'm going to get the players together and say, 'The first guy that can hit that guy, take him out. We got to get rid of him' because they rub it in pretty good."

Cam's an Auburn man.  He's our Auburn man.  I'll be pulling for Carolina to win the SB because of him.  But if he had worn any other jersey in college, I'd be saying, "Fuck that guy."   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
No.  The haters don't hate because of race.  They don't hate because now you're winning.  They hate because you showboat more than anyone in the history of professional sports outside of Muchmahed Ali.  They hate because Terrell Owens has your poster up in his bedroom.  You give kids the TD ball.  You do great things for kids, charities etc. off the field.  But on the field, you make it all about you and people, outside of Carolina and Auburn fans, don't like that. There have been two brawls in the end zone within the last year solely because of it.  Here's Auburn's own Chucky B on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday:

"Let me tell you something, as much as I love Cam Newton, if I played against Cam Newton, I'd put a hit on him, no question, because they rub it in pretty good. It's fun to watch, I guess, as a fan if you like Carolina, and I like sports and they're having so much fun, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against, because if you're dabbing and Supermanning and kicking my butt, I'm going to get the players together and say, 'The first guy that can hit that guy, take him out. We got to get rid of him' because they rub it in pretty good."

Cam's an Auburn man.  He's our Auburn man.  I'll be pulling for Carolina to win the SB because of him.  But if he had worn any other jersey in college, I'd be saying, "Fuck that black guy."

damn dude
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
damn dude
He's a heretic. I say we burn him!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
damn dude

Tell me none of that is true.  I brought this up last year and the responses were laughable.  There's not a soul on here that can say with a straight face they'd be loving this guy had he not gone to Auburn and done what he did. 

We know who Cam is.  We know all the good things he's done and continues to do on and off the field.  We follow that and look into it because he's our guy.  We point and laugh at the "haters".  But name me another NFL player, NBA player, MLB player that has ever put on the "Look at me" show the way he does.  You can't.  You do that in MLB and the next pitch is coming straight at your head.  And that's exactly what one of our own was saying to Dan Patrick.  I love him but I'm taking him out.  You rub it in the way Cam does and I'm going to hurt you.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
Tell me none of that is true.  I brought this up last year and the responses were laughable.  There's not a soul on here that can say with a straight face they'd be loving this guy had he not gone to Auburn and done what he did. 

We know who Cam is.  We know all the good things he's done and continues to do on and off the field.  We follow that and look into it because he's our guy.  We point and laugh at the "haters".  But name me another NFL player, NBA player, MLB player that has ever put on the "Look at me" show the way he does.  You can't.  You do that in MLB and the next pitch is coming straight at your head.  And that's exactly what one of our own was saying to Dan Patrick.  I love him but I'm taking him out.  You rub it in the way Cam does and I'm going to hurt you.

Its true.   Deion Sanders played for San Fran and Atlanta they hated him here, came to Dallas, Aw he's alright now. Same with Terrell Owens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
He's a heretic. I say we burn him!
He turned me into a newt!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »

5' 7"  158lbs  *ding

Go Seahawks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »

All true. But other than his short time at AU, the seething hatred by his detractors and the charitable works and good guy personna, I know very little of him. None of us do.
I don't mind a bit of showboating, but he has taken it way too far. All it ever took was a smile
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »
All true. But other than his short time at AU, the seething hatred by his detractors and the charitable works and good guy personna, I know very little of him. None of us do.
I don't mind a bit of showboating, but he has taken it way too far. All it ever took was a smile

damn dude
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
How quickly some of you forget. I will not sit idly by and let people speak ill of my friend.

You may not know Cam but I do.

Understandable, since you are just fans.

I have given Cam high 5 at Tigerwalk. I have given him a high 5 post game. I have said hey to him after he rolled by me one one of those battery powered skate board thingys.

Cam is my boy. And I will slap a bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
How quickly some of you forget. I will not sit idly by and let people speak ill of my friend.

You may not know Cam but I do.

Understandable, since you are just fans.

I have given Cam high 5 at Tigerwalk. I have given him a high 5 post game. I have said hey to him after he rolled by me one one of those battery powered skate board thingys.

Cam is my boy. And I will slap a bitch.

Jake Ryan?  Jake's my boy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Jake Ryan?  Jake's my boy.
What that boy number?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 01:10:18 PM »
My man Cal!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
If I didn't love Cam I might hate him. 

He's exactly who he says he is, though.  Can't argue that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.