Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

B'ham Bowl - Game Thread

jmar

Re: B'ham Bowl - Game Thread
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »
It has been an odd combination today. With Cass, we got a lot of pressure. After losing Cass, there were times we got zero pressure, but had great DB coverage.

I can't remember the last time we had the front end and back end in sync like that.

Maybe LT is the answer.

But losing Lawson will make a big difference!
Lawrence stepped up.Holland also had some pressures.Garrett probably had his best game. Allowed the secondary to do its job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
Memphis really misses Justin Fuente. Their offense looks totally lost. Reminds me of the Nallsminger we went with in '03. The pieces are there, the plays are the same, but the play calling and rhythm are as off as Alex Van Halen.

Maybe some. But without those 3 Turnovers, we walk away to the tune of 45-3.....you think he was really THAT much of a difference? I don't. Thompson called a lights out game on D. 200 total yards given up. I don't care who the head coach is.....Lynch is the #1 Draft QB for a reason. And we shut him down. Proud of the guys. Good way to end the year on a high note. Although I know the debbie downers will still complain about it being the Bham Bowl....but would you rather LOSE the Bham Bowl? This game was essentially a blowout, esp once we quit making dumb mistakes. Check the stats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
Maybe some. But without those 3 Turnovers, we walk away to the tune of 45-3.....you think he was really THAT much of a difference? I don't. Thompson called a lights out game on D. 200 total yards given up. I don't care who the head coach is.....Lynch is the #1 Draft QB for a reason. And we shut him down. Proud of the guys. Good way to end the year on a high note. Although I know the debbie downers will still complain about it being the Bham Bowl....but would you rather LOSE the Bham Bowl? This game was essentially a blowout, esp once we quit making dumb mistakes. Check the stats.

Yep.  Defense held the opposition to 3 points. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »
...or that Auburn has Lance Thompson as the backup DC.

I really really hope AU promotes Thompson. The whole D played so much better but the AU DL was blowing shit up all day. Also, I thought the timing of schemes Thompson was on target. Just looked like an Auburn defense inspired even with it being the Bham Shit Bowl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
I have mixed emotions.  I never, ever want to lose but...

1) I have a nagging fear that Gusettlee will see this game as vindication of their plan.  We did move the ball better. We didn't settle for field goals.  But this was Mem-fucking-phis.  They give up points.  Only three teams failed to post 20 or more against their defense. Six scored at least 30.   What I saw on offense was far too dysfunctional, way too confused, entirely lacking in identity and confidence.  An "improvement" won't cut it. 

Unless....

2) We played so much better on defense that there was no real comparison to anything we did all season.  This was a team that averaged 43 points per game, put up 37 on Ole Miss,  broke 50 against Tuberville. Th only time they were held to under 20 points was in a 12-point effort against a Top 25 Temple team.
Their quarterback averaged 14-yards per completion, hit 70% of his passes. They averaged 324 yards passing and 185 yards rushing per game.  Auburn shut them completely down. Rattled the first rounder. Intimidated the receivers. Hammered running lanes closed. We challenged them from the jump, something we haven't done in years. We conceded nothing, something we haven't done in years.  It was, honestly, something I haven't seen an Auburn defense do in.... well.... since 2008.  I kept expecting it to break down, fall apart, come unglued. Like it does. But it didn't. 

So that leaves a question.  If that was an audition for Lance Thompson, he aced it.  He did so while speculation swirled about another guy coming in.  How do you keep a guy who showed that much one-game promise happy?  Do you swallow your "win the press conference AD smarm" and promote the guy or do you keep looking for the splash? 

I keep thinking about where we've been.  Pat Dye was hardly a press conference smash when we hired him.  Nobody was shitting their pants when we hired Wayne Hall. I don't recall a splash when Chizik was brought in. 

It puts us in a quandry in my mind. Is what we have good enough?  Could we, instead, look for an energetic promising LB or DB coach and let Thompson call the shots?

On another note:

3) Damn Legion Field was pretty full.  There is NOBODY at the Belk Bowl.  You could take your entire family and have a whole section to yourself.  The Bulldogs do not travel and just don't have a big enough fanbase to entice bowls.  It's sort of shameful really.   They just need to stay home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »
Just got back and scanned through this thread.

A. That twatter thread had exactly shit to do with Lawson staying or going.

2. Play calling and mistakes in the first half killed momentum and kept Memphis around.  Second half, Auburn big boy'd those bitches and wore them out.  Auburn and the SEC in the house.

C. Screw Memphis "playing bad".  The defense flew around and tackled like we haven't seen in several years.  Three Harumphs to that whole unit.

Last. They's some negative, bitchin' mofo's here, no matter what happens.

31-10 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »

1) I have a nagging fear that Gusettlee will see this game as vindication of their plan.

I really dont think they will. They know this year was a bad experiment. And were just trying to salvage what was left, trying anything. We treaded water, and end the year on a high note. Recruiting the two dual threats tells me that Gus is aiming to go back to his bread n butter of a running QB/Zone Read and using the HUNH/Rhythm/Pace to wear D's down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
I really dont think they will. They know this year was a bad experiment. And were just trying to salvage what was left, trying anything. We treaded water, and end the year on a high note. Recruiting the two dual threats tells me that Gus is aiming to go back to his bread n butter of a running QB/Zone Read and using the HUNH/Rhythm/Pace to wear D's down.
Im glad he's picking a philosophy he thinks will work now that the JJ experiment failed. He's still a young coach and he needed his time.

Watching the way the players fought for Lance Thompson today made me proud too.  They were in position, hit hard, and communicated well.  I sure as hell hope Steele has a spot on his staff for Thompson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
I really hope Jovon Robinson doesn't jump to the NFL after this year.
He would stumble and fall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
Thrilled to have a solid win.
Would be even happier if Gushlee would stop trying to get cute with that shitty wildcat business.
Best 4 quarters of defense I can recall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »
He would stumble and fall.
He has the Ontario McCalebb disease, atleast he falls forward for a couple extra yards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:28 PM »
So, the Memphis Senior Safety Reggie Ball tries to steal the game ball. Idiot.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/30855822/memphis-cornerback-reggis-ball-removed-from-team#.VoRvzUUQDKM.facebook
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
So, the Memphis Senior Safety Reggie Ball tries to steal the game ball. Idiot.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/30855822/memphis-cornerback-reggis-ball-removed-from-team#.VoRvzUUQDKM.facebook
He also signed the stolen ball and put the picture up on the interwebs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »
This almost has to be a cousin or such kin of the Ga Tech QB Reggie Ball that we didn't recruit/ beat us.
Both from Stone Mountain, GA. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »

I'm wondering if the ball is now on Ebay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
I have met Snagg's wife. She wouldn't do that to him. At least, I don't think she would. Would she?

How much is a gently used ball going for now?

I will punch you in the forehead so hard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
I have met Snagg's wife. She wouldn't do that to him. At least, I don't think she would. Would she?

How much is a gently used ball going for now?

I will punch you in the forehead so hard.

Self abuse is not considered "used" .
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'