Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

And so it ends...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
And so it ends...
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »
Well, that's over. One of the most numbing seasons of football in my memory.  I've never watched fewer games, never been less invested, never had such a sense of "meh" in my entire life.  There were weeks I forgot what time we played.

I wasn't able to watch the opener due to a Bama-biased family commitment. But I saw enough.  I wasn't able to watch the JSU malfunction because I was tied up doing something else and had to endure it in a public place full of Bama fans who offered mock sympathy. In retrospect, JSU is a pretty respectable program and it was clear we took them lightly.  Rather than endure the LSU debacle I opted to be in Atlanta watching Hall and Oates, Elton John, Van Halen, Billy Idol, Lenny Kravitz and Alice In Chains. I wasn't sorry I missed the humiliation.

By the time MSU came around it was clear the train was off the tracks and it just didn't seem as important any more.  I watched parts of games occasionally, didn't get emotionally invested and then it just slithered along to the end.  For the first time in my entire life I didn't watch a single minute of the Alabama game.  That's unheard of. 

It wasn't all bad.  I missed having something to care passionately about, maybe, but not all that much.  I just listened.

So from afar, here's what I know:

1)  Bama fans are now completely and utterly convinced that their "ain't nothing but a high school coach, them gimmicks will catch up to him" bullshit is one hundred thousand percent accurate.  Their dumbness knows no bounds.  They're convinced that "Gus can't win without no double option QB, so he ain't no real coach."   I think he made some enormous rookie-level mistakes this season, mistakes that were bred out of early successes which fueled a stubborn certainty that he had it figured out.

2) Gus can sometimes be blind him to absolute truths.  Only twice in his career that I can find has he failed to adapt the offensive strategy to the strengths of his team.  The first was the Trotsley abortion.  He panicked too quickly, didn't give Trotter the support he needed, waffled too long making a decision and then he played quarterback shuffle.  He helped destroy the confidence and careers of three different QBs - Frazier, Trotter and Moseley - during that debacle.  This was way too similar to that, except Johnson was fuck-years worse than Trotter and White is fuck years better than Moseley.

3) Mississippi State fans think Dak Prescott will be the next great NFL quarterback.  No way in hell.  He's serviceable at best.  I just don't see it.  That idiot Mullen fuck in Starkville is going to regret not getting out of there when (if) he had a chance. 

4) Ole Mi$$ has the number one recruiting cla$$ in the nation.  They will be on probation within 48 months and likely nuked back to the stone age. 

5) Alabama is the most boring football team ever. It's fans are cliched stupdity and they just aren't what they think they are.  That said, they will win yet another fucking national title.  The only difference between today and the 70s is that we aren't letting them reel off long runs of wins against us.  We're holding our own, despite the rollercoaster.  But we have to knock them in the face in 2016.  It's vital. Has to be done.

6) None of the rest of it interests me all that much.  Dabo Swinney is a dick with ears. I hate the motherfucker. Jimbo Fisher is a crook. Fat Bert is a piece of shit and it sickens me to watch Arkansas win anything -- although the win over Ole Miss was so fucking hilarious because it kept the Rebs out of Atlanta.

7) The fucking shit eating committee had to be doubly glad those fat hillbilly Arkansas fucks knocked off Ole Miss, otherwise they'd have to figure out some way to explain elevating SEC also-ran Alabama into the Final Four over SEC-CG participant Ole Miss.  We all know that was going to happen.

8) Texas A&M is a trainwreck. 

9) How come every other program in the country can get players injured and not completely fall apart.  The aforementioned Texas A&M is playing the guy who washes towels at QB and hanging right in with Louisville. How many teams have we seen that are on their third or fourth string options and still balling their asses off?  We can't find one.  And without Carl Lawson, apparently the entire defense rolls over and plays dead.  What happened to next man up? 

10) Jake Coker is a health hazard to opposing players.  The mountain ranges that mark his face are bound to erupt at some point and some poor defensive lineman is going to be bathed in goo. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: And so it ends...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
To several of your points.

Ole Mi$$.  Yep, been saying that all year.  No way that you are an afterthought in the college football world for 40 years, the very definition of irrelevant, and suddenly start raking in top rated recruiting classes year after year.  It's not like Pete Carroll or Lord Saybinz landed in The Grove.  It's Hugh Freakin' Freeze.  It's obvious the money peeps decided they wanted to be known for more than a great tailgate.  And you may be right about it crashing down because they're not nearly as experienced at it as some programs. $$$$$$$

Dak Prescott.  I've about stopped trying to predict whether a particular QB is well suited for the National...Football...League.  I'm usually wrong.  He's a big, strong guy that's mobile and appears to have at least decent accuracy.  I imagine someone will take a late round gamble on him but he doesn't look to be anybody a team will want to build around.  So since I said that, he'll wind up being the heir apparent to Tom Brady and have a Hall of Fame career.

Auburn Football 2015.  I think this season sums up where I am as a fan more than any other.  It cemented the fact that Auburn football is still a top priority for me when it comes to entertainment and/or something to be passionate about.  The results on the field compared to the expectations were an epic fail.  There's no disputing that.  An 11:00 game on a Wednesday in Birmingham is exactly what they deserved.  However, I was not going to miss it for any reason.  We got a nice win over a decent team and hired a well respected DC.  Good day for AU.

I missed only one home game this year against San Louis Obispo State.  My son has gotten into football and wanted to go so I took him to every game I went to.  He felt like he was a part of everything when Joe recognized him and always gave him shit about how much he ate.  (He recognized my son but didn't know who Buzz was...just sayin') Ultimately, I guess I mellowed once I got my Medicare card.  I still throw my cap and cuss Ricardo when he drops another one.  I still get pissed at Gus when he calls a double reverse pass when we have the momentum.  But even though we may be playing Idaho.  Even though I feel like we'll lose to UGA and Bama....it doesn't matter. I'm rarely going to pass up an opportunity to make the trek to teh planes on an Auburn football Saturday.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
To several of your points.

Ole Mi$$.  Yep, been saying that all year.  No way that you are an afterthought in the college football world for 40 years, the very definition of irrelevant, and suddenly start raking in top rated recruiting classes year after year.  It's not like Pete Carroll or Lord Saybinz landed in The Grove.  It's Hugh Freakin' Freeze.  It's obvious the money peeps decided they wanted to be known for more than a great tailgate.  And you may be right about it crashing down because they're not nearly as experienced at it as some programs. $$$$$$$

Dak Prescott.  I've about stopped trying to predict whether a particular QB is well suited for the National...Football...League.  I'm usually wrong.  He's a big, strong guy that's mobile and appears to have at least decent accuracy.  I imagine someone will take a late round gamble on him but he doesn't look to be anybody a team will want to build around.  So since I said that, he'll wind up being the heir apparent to Tom Brady and have a Hall of Fame career.

Auburn Football 2015.  I think this season sums up where I am as a fan more than any other.  It cemented the fact that Auburn football is still a top priority for me when it comes to entertainment and/or something to be passionate about.  The results on the field compared to the expectations were an epic fail.  There's no disputing that.  An 11:00 game on a Wednesday in Birmingham is exactly what they deserved.  However, I was not going to miss it for any reason.  We got a nice win over a decent team and hired a well respected DC.  Good day for AU.

I missed only one home game this year against San Louis Obispo State.  My son has gotten into football and wanted to go so I took him to every game I went to.  He felt like he was a part of everything when Joe recognized him and always gave him shit about how much he ate.  (He recognized my son but didn't know who Buzz was...just sayin') Ultimately, I guess I mellowed once I got my Medicare card.  I still throw my cap and cuss Ricardo when he drops another one.  I still get pissed at Gus when he calls a double reverse pass when we have the momentum.  But even though we may be playing Idaho.  Even though I feel like we'll lose to UGA and Bama....it doesn't matter. I'm rarely going to pass up an opportunity to make the trek to teh planes on an Auburn football Saturday.   

Cliche and been said but....

Auburn is about Auburn.

Alabama is about Alabama Football.

I like our school.

I like our history.

I like our Toomer's corner.

I like the warmth of our fan base in general.

I like how our town is laid out.

I like that a lot of our fans went to school there.

I like how I can hop on a Delta Flight in Chicago that is heading to Las Vegas  and the pilot gives me a "war eagle" from looking at my hat and we strike up a 2 min conversation about all things Auburn not just footbal

Most of all, I like our freaking loyalty as a people and how we have to fight like hell as an underdog almost our entire existence whether its going against giants UGA, Bama, Tenn, LSU or Florida or fighting our own state powers. Weve held our own against these schools/people for 100 years and were still standing, stronger than ever. We don't back down as a fan base. We have a spirit. And we come back to the Plains with our kids, familes....Great football or not.

To me, THAT is who we are. Not just a damn football team. I will be there...on Saturdays no matter what, to enjoy all the spoils of what we are as Auburn people. To enjoy my school, in that town, with my people, making memories. Enjoy the good times, stick together and make the best of the bad.

Just hanging around for the good, and disappearing during the not so good....yeah, thats what THEY do. Because its all they give 2 shits about in life.

Call it Creed thumping all you want...I don't really give a shit. But its absolutely 100% true.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:13:11 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »
Here's my review:

1. Didn't watch the Birmingham Bowl until the second half. I'm happy we won convincingly but even the best Memphis teams should be stomped by a program like Auburn. We should never be afraid of losing to a Sun Belt team no matter the scenario. Glad to see we stepped up.

2. Unless our transfer QB has wheels like Nick Marshall, we're in trouble next year on offense. It's not a simple problem like many think. Jeremy Johnson sucks. Sean White is decent. But our offensive line is the bigger issue. We can't score when we get inside the ten. Why is that? Because of goofy play calls? Because of the inability to push the line of scrimmage? It's an offensive line problem just as much as it is a Gus-Brain-Fart problem.

3. Lance Thompson did a great job as the interim coordinator. Not sure why he was never considered for the job. He is a great recruiter and had our guys playing their asses off. The stats show that his scheme worked.

4. Kevin Steele has a lot of ups and downs in his history. Reminds me a lot of Ellis Johnson. Awful, awful head coaching record. Never really has had a stout defense. Has good moments under Nick Saban and a serious blotch on his record with 77 points given up while defensive coordinator at Clemson.

5. Here's to a good offseason. I see recruiting has picked up. That's nice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »

Auburn is about Auburn.

I like our school.

I like our history.

I like how I can hop on a Delta Flight in Chicago that is heading to Las Vegas  and the pilot gives me a "war eagle" from looking at my hat and we strike up a 2 min conversation about all things Auburn not just footbal

Most of all, I like our freaking loyalty as a people and how we have to fight like hell as an underdog almost our entire existence whether its going against giants UGA, Bama, Tenn, LSU or Florida or fighting our own state powers. Weve held our own against these schools/people for 100 years and were still standing, stronger than ever. We don't back down as a fan base. We have a spirit. And we come back to the Plains with our kids, familes....Great football or not.

To me, THAT is who we are. Not just a damn football team. I will be there...on Saturdays no matter what, to enjoy all the spoils of what we are as Auburn people. To enjoy my school, in that town, with my people, making memories. Enjoy the good times, stick together and make the best of the bad.

Just hanging around for the good, and disappearing during the not so good....yeah, thats what THEY do. Because its all they give 2 shits about in life.

Call it Creed thumping all you want...I don't really give a shit. But its absolutely 100% true.
You guys are going to make me cry, dammit. I love you two, too.

Can we meet for some wine spritzers and maybe go shopping sometime?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »

Auburn is about Auburn.

I like our school.

I like our history.

I like that a lot of our fans hate Dallas.

To end the year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:47 PM »
Here's my review:

1. Didn't watch the Birmingham Bowl until the second half. I'm happy we won convincingly but even the best Memphis teams should be stomped by a program like Auburn. We should never be afraid of losing to a Sun Belt team no matter the scenario. Glad to see we stepped up.

2. Unless our transfer QB has wheels like Nick Marshall, we're in trouble next year on offense. It's not a simple problem like many think. Jeremy Johnson sucks. Sean White is decent. But our offensive line is the bigger issue. We can't score when we get inside the ten. Why is that? Because of goofy play calls? Because of the inability to push the line of scrimmage? It's an offensive line problem just as much as it is a Gus-Brain-Fart problem.

3. Lance Thompson did a great job as the interim coordinator. Not sure why he was never considered for the job. He is a great recruiter and had our guys playing their asses off. The stats show that his scheme worked.

4. Kevin Steele has a lot of ups and downs in his history. Reminds me a lot of Ellis Johnson. Awful, awful head coaching record. Never really has had a stout defense. Has good moments under Nick Saban and a serious blotch on his record with 77 points given up while defensive coordinator at Clemson.

5. Here's to a good offseason. I see recruiting has picked up. That's nice.

Ole Miss (Who beat Alabama) wants a word with you about your first point.  On the QB....yeah...we needs one.  I still maintain that Malzahn's offenses have put up huge numbers with all types of QB's and we don't necessarily have to have a Nick Marshall to be successful.  But what we gots ain't gonna gets it done.

Hard to tell about the O-line.  I think it's safe to say we'll have a couple of new faces at tackle because I don't see any scenario where Coleman and Young don't come out early.  Shon is 47 years old and Young already put in for his NFL evaluation.

I would have been fine with Happy Pants Lance too at DC.  I didn't see Steele on anyone's radar until Wes said ESPN mentioned it yesterday morning.  I'm not too worried about a single game blowout several years ago under Steele and I can't tell you much about his body of work.  I'll just assume that some of the top programs in college football, including an NFL team, have thought enough about his abilities to put him on the payroll. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »
GH mentioned getting a War Eagle from someone in Chicago.  I know a thread on far-fetched places you've been WE'd has been done, but it got me to thinking of one in particular.  As you know, the daughter dances and performs (On a pole) with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.  We were sailing with her a couple of years ago and stopped in St. Croix.  She suggested a place called Polly's By The Pier, which was a cool little grill serving ice cold brewski's that she and her cast mates are regulars at.  We walked in and she turned to us and said, "You're going to love this...watch"

She hollers out War Eagle and everyone behind the counter responds with a big War Eagle right back.  A family of Auburn grads who moved down to the island and opened this place up.  I was thinking I believe I could get used to this real quick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
GH mentioned getting a War Eagle from someone in Chicago.  I know a thread on far-fetched places you've been WE'd has been done, but it got me to thinking of one in particular.  As you know, the daughter dances and performs (On a pole) with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.  We were sailing with her a couple of years ago and stopped in St. Croix.  She suggested a place called Polly's By The Pier, which was a cool little grill serving ice cold brewski's that she and her cast mates are regulars at.  We walked in and she turned to us and said, "You're going to love this...watch"

She hollers out War Eagle and everyone behind the counter responds with a big War Eagle right back.  A family of Auburn grads who moved down to the island and opened this place up.  I was thinking I believe I could get used to this real quick.

Got one in South America at small market, (in Spanish)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
I am properly chagrined.

That one post made me cry. 

I love Auburn.  Just didn't care about football this year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:00:04 PM »
I am properly chagrined.

That one post made me cry. 

I love Auburn.  Just didn't care about football this year.

I love football and having a winning team as much as anyone, but when we get wrapped up in it enough to where its our only focus, then we've become the very ones we claim to hate. Thats not us. Thats not who we are. Football is a mere part of who we are. We just don't need to lose that perspective. Were so much better as a people than just a football program...so much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE