Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week WOAT Iron Bowl

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Thoughts - Week WOAT Iron Bowl
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
Let me play a little devil's advocate.  Understand that I am not unhappy about Ellis going.  I do not think he has brought a toughness to AU that we sorely need on that side of the ball, but that being said what about the "defensive geniuses of our time" Saban and Smart giving up 44 to us?

Understand that I am not downing us.  We know Gus' offenses can score points.  But we jacked them for 44 and realistically had we put some of our field goals in the endzone probably hang over 55 on them.  What say you all about the the defensive geniuses having 55+ hung on them?

The best defense is a good defense..wait, the best offense is a good defense. Or is it, the best offense is a good kicking game.  No...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
I didn't see any quit in the offense, at all. Not one iota. Maybe a little from the D on that last drive. It kind of looked like they were thinking, "what's the use?".
I thought they just looked worn out more than giving up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
The best defense is a good defense..wait, the best offense is a good defense. Or is it, the best offense is a good kicking game.  No...

I thought it all rested with the Long snapper?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
There was a time not all that long ago where I said that I would be happy with Auburn football if I could look at the schedule and not go "well, there's a sure loss" ; where we went into every game with a realistic chance of winning; where we would win more than we lost and have a chance every few years for a special season (like 2004, 2010, 2013..). 

It wasn't that long ago when that was enough.  All of us were on that same page.  Why is there such angst now? 

Is it because we've won it once, played for twice and been in the hunt five or six times in the last ten years?  Is it because we're spoiled?  Or is it because of the rampant cheating, the cult of personality and the unbelievable bullshit luck coming out of Tuscaloosa the last few years? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
This statement tells me all I need to know, where the fuck did this team ever give up.  Wow maybe you should do the same thing as Chizad and go cheer for bammer, your life will be happier.

I'd say a 34-7 shellacking in Athens and a lackluster performance against Samford looked a whole lot like the team had given up. 

You expected a competitive game against Alabama in Tuscaloosa?  Outside of blind homerism, what would make you think we were going to play the way we did on Saturday? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
Or is it because of the rampant cheating, the cult of personality and the unbelievable bullshit luck coming out of Tuscaloosa the last few years?

I think I've made three posts talking about this over the last two weeks, and no one has seemed to take it up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »
There was a time not all that long ago where I said that I would be happy with Auburn football if I could look at the schedule and not go "well, there's a sure loss" ; where we went into every game with a realistic chance of winning; where we would win more than we lost and have a chance every few years for a special season (like 2004, 2010, 2013..). 

It wasn't that long ago when that was enough.  All of us were on that same page.  Why is there such angst now? 

Is it because we've won it once, played for twice and been in the hunt five or six times in the last ten years?  Is it because we're spoiled?  Or is it because of the rampant cheating, the cult of personality and the unbelievable bullshit luck coming out of Tuscaloosa the last few years?

When it doubt blame Tuscaloosa and those who reside there.  They are guilty of plenty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
Let me play a little devil's advocate.  Understand that I am not unhappy about Ellis going.  I do not think he has brought a toughness to AU that we sorely need on that side of the ball, but that being said what about the "defensive geniuses of our time" Saban and Smart giving up 44 to us?

Understand that I am not downing us.  We know Gus' offenses can score points.  But we jacked them for 44 and realistically had we put some of our field goals in the endzone probably hang over 55 on them.  What say you all about the the defensive geniuses having 55+ hung on them?
The same thought occurred to me but I think that the difference is in the body of work. We saw similar performance the last half of the season and numerous 30 plus point games the last two.

I see the point and it makes sense, however, we are one of the highest octane offenses in college football. Possibly THE highest. Bama is a good offense.

Simply put, we were not trending up on defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
I'd say a 34-7 shellacking in Athens and a lackluster performance against Samford looked a whole lot like the team had given up. 

You expected a competitive game against Alabama in Tuscaloosa?  Outside of blind homerism, what would make you think we were going to play the way we did on Saturday?
I will give you the UGA beatdown but please Samford? Tune-up game for bama, that was always gonna be what it was.

Yes I expected to play the way we did Saturday, why wouldn't you? Our offense was great in every game we played except for the UGA game (and maybe K-State).  As a former teacher you should know that one "outlier" does not equal the norm.  We were far more likely to be good than we were bad. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:24:44 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
What say you all about the the defensive geniuses having 55+ hung on them?

I say I hope they get Ebola, Cancer, AIDS, and the clap.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

That is still all I ever ask for, be competitive! Win the games we are supposed to win and be competitive with those that pose a threat with a chance to win it in the end.  Thats what we got this year a competitive football team. 

As for bammer, I can't control all that, so I tend to focus on our own team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
I say I hope they get Ebola, Cancer, AIDS, and the clap.

Regular aids or teh goat aids?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
I will give you the UGA beatdown but please Samford? Tune-up game for bama, that was always gonna be what it was.

Yes I expected to play the way we did Saturday, why wouldn't you? Our offense was great in every game we played except for the UGA game (and maybe K-State).  As a former teacher you should know that one "outlier" does not equal the norm.  We were far more likely to be good than we were bad.

I don't think you read my posts well enough if you think I hated this game because we were competitive and not blown out.  The issue here is what Kaos said - I'm tired of Alabama.  I'm over it.  I'm over this whole conference and league. 

They say to be the best you have to beat the best, and they also say that some losses can break a program. 

Teams have beaten Alabama, but they don't die.  Alabama beats teams that crumble and fire their coaches.  They beat really good teams that are staring at a rebuilding year.

But year after year, we're constantly watching the Bama parade and it takes outliers like a kick 6 to knock them out of orbit, which usually doesn't anyway.  Hell, if the playoff started last year, Alabama would have been in it. 

That team is 13 points away from having competed in and probably won 5 going on 6 national championships and with all the allegations that fizzle into pixie dust, I'm over it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
I don't think you read my posts well enough if you think I hated this game because we were competitive and not blown out.  The issue here is what Kaos said - I'm tired of Alabama.  I'm over it.  I'm over this whole conference and league. 

They say to be the best you have to beat the best, and they also say that some losses can break a program. 

Teams have beaten Alabama, but they don't die.  Alabama beats teams that crumble and fire their coaches.  They beat really good teams that are staring at a rebuilding year.

But year after year, we're constantly watching the Bama parade and it takes outliers like a kick 6 to knock them out of orbit, which usually doesn't anyway.  Hell, if the playoff started last year, Alabama would have been in it. 

That team is 13 points away from having competed in and probably won 5 going on 6 national championships and with all the allegations that fizzle into pixie dust, I'm over it.
That is little brother syndrome with bammer you need to get over that shit.

Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
Realistically, I think we made the best long term investment by firing Ellis.

Sure, we could've won it all with a break or two and should've won it all last year. But, we didn't, haven't and I think wouldn't have a championship level D with him.

We desperately need more balance in talent, coaching and player development. Hopefully this hire will get us there.

Next year? I dunno. Will likely take 2 years to get us in top half of SEC on D but I'm hoping we will see more improvement next season on D than we had in 2013.

A little more pass rush and much improved tackling will go a long way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »

Get over it dude. They beat us. Didn't whip our ass. Don't let them set the standard. We hold our own against them better than any other team in the conference. I don't know the stats but we are pretty close head to head.

They claim every national championship since A.D. but who cares? I consider this year an outlier in that we hung with them although we had a really bad defense.

Gus will be more than .500 vs. Saban when all is said and done. WT said that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:39:47 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
A little more pass rush and much improved tackling will go a long way.

And that seems to have been a problem since Tuberville left.  3 defensive coordinators, and not one can fix tackling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »
And that seems to have been a problem since Tuberville left.  3 defensive coordinators, and not one can fix tackling.
I thought tackling (outside of State Farm) actually was improved last year.  Maybe because my expectations were so low from 2012.  It did seem to take a hit this year.

Honestly though, I really don't think we are going to see the defensive teams of Tubs years with the type of offense we run.  I think it boils down to conditioning and depth, and depth is hard to maintain year in and year out. Not every player you get is a home run hitter that can play right away.  (even the JUCO route)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
That is little brother syndrome with bammer you need to get over that shit.

Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps

or Trashy Trina.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »

It's not the norm.  MSU put up over 400 yards on them but only scored 25.   Don't get me wrong, Alabama has had a few games this year where they have given up big yardage.  Ark, Ole Miss, WVU, UT put up over 350 yards on them along with State and us putting up over 400 and 600.  They still don't give up many points though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan