Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Game Over, Man

Thoughts - Week Game Over, Man
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:06 AM »
Auburn

- That was a top five loss in my history as an Auburn fan.  I don't think I need to list the reasons why that loss sucked ass, but it was right there with 2006 Arkansas and 2006 Georgia but at least in those games, we were shit-canned from start to finish. 

- At this point, Ellis Johnson needs to go.  I guess.  We're giving up 425 yards per game against SEC opponents.  486 yards per game in our last four games. 

- And what's most concerning is the redundancy every week.  Slant route, deep route, we're fucked.  We don't cover them.  We don't tackle after the catch.  We look weak, slow, out of position.  The defense is just plain bad.  At least with Roof, we would make adjustments at halftime to gain some ground.

- Speaking of Roof, in 2009, we gave up 374 yards per game with our worst four game stretch being 409 yards per game.  In 2010, we gave up 368 yards per game with our worst four game stretch being 399 yards per game.  In 2011, we gave up 408 yards per game with our worst four game stretch being 477 yards per game (that was the first four games of the season, and afterwards, we gave up 400+ yards of offense just once for the rest of the season). 

- I think Ted Roof and Gene Chizik were a better defensive tandem than Gus Malzahn and Ellis Johnson. 

- Yes, last season, we gave up 396 yards per game.  However, if you take away the shut down performances against Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic, we gave up 420 yards per game.  Our worst four game stretch last season, we gave up 486 yards per game. 

- I am not one to believe that an offensive mind is detrimental to a defense in the same way that a defensive mind is detrimental to an offense.  A defensive minded coach may run the ball up the middle twice, throw play action on third down all with the hopes of running clock, giving the defense a rest, and setting up a good punt.  An offensive minded coach may score too quickly, but if a defense early in the game can force a few three and outs or just a few punts, then the score can get out of hand quickly.  Just look at what Oregon does to opponents in the Pac 12. 

- Gus Malzahn has to figure out a way to field a quality defense.  Our offense is averaging 506 yards per game including the A&M game.  We average 38 points per game.  That's plenty of yards.  That's enough points.  You should not lose a football game if you rack up 582 yards of offense like we did today. 

- Some may say an offense like Malzahn's scores too quickly and that the defense is too tired to shut down opponents.  I understand that.  That's fine.  We may give up 21-28 points a game against tough opponents if we're scoring 38 points and racking up 506 yards of offense.  But to allow two touchdowns in the first three minutes of a game?  Twice this season?  And fuck the turnover excuses.  I've watched Alabama (again tonight) save its pathetic offense's ass with sound defense after being put in a bind.  It is possible to make tackles, rush the passer, guard a pass, swat a ball away, make an interception, strip the ball, get a sack, hold them to 10 yards or less.  It is.  Gus needs to figure it out.

- I'm depressed about the ending.  Those two fumbles hurt.  Hurt me in my heart.  Honestly, I've seen enough Auburn football to not get too worked up over losses or Auburn playing poorly.  I don't like it.  I get riled up for a minute when it's happening.  But I understand that we aren't going to go undefeated every year.  We're going to run into stiff competition.  We're going to have bad games.  We're going to have down years, heartbreaks. 

- But I've never seen that.  Not that bad of a loss.  I haven't been that enraged about a college football game since 2008. 

- It'll be interesting to see how Gus handles the rest of the season.  One thing about being an Auburn fan and Auburn player is that you don't get an easy finish.  @Georgia, @Alabama, and they're our two biggest rivals.  Does Gus know how to keep the team motivated when championships aren't on the table? 

Alabama

- Lucky pieces of shit.

- Bama looked like dogshit most of the game if you didn't watch.  Amari "Gary Danielson Has Lots of Jizz For" Cooper had some bad drops.  One good catch and run, but other than that, meh. 

- Blake Sims can't do anything if the stadium isn't quiet.  He gets Tuscaloosa to finish out the season, so I'm sure he'll look good.  Looked like Kiehl Frazier in Baton Rouge.

- Can't say I shed any tears when Yeldon got hurt.  Karma...

- Speaking of, to the people of the world (including Auburn fans) who are saying that Marshall and Dismuke's fumbles were "karma," violently go fuck yourselves you bunch of ignorant morons.  There is no bad karma involved if Auburn didn't commit any crimes.  I'm sorry Treadwell got hurt.  I'm sorry a Bama fan published a shitty picture in a small town newspaper.  No Auburn fan cheered that injury last Saturday night.  We didn't deserve anything to happen to us.  Those fumbles were just some buffoonery that we don't typically see in a Gus Malzahn offense. 

Jameis Winston

- BB guns, rape, crab legs, obscene comments, point shaving, one of the GOATS without em? 

- If Winston wasn't such a dumbshit future felon, where is he in college football lore?  He's on a fairly craptastic team with a mediocre coach known in the past for dropping a few games a year that he shouldn't, and he's led them to a 25 game winning streak, the longest streak since Miami from 2000-2002.  He also turns it on big time if his team is down. 

LSU and Anyone Else That Does This

- I will never understand why teams line up against Alabama in two tight end-fullback I formations and try to play muscle ball.  You just aren't going to bowl over a Nick Saban coached team.  Even if you are a powerhouse that can slam multiple running backs into a stuffed line of scrimmage, how many yards are you going to get?  4?  It's a stupid strategy. 

Every Team

- Every team seems to have something they can't do.  Auburn hasn't defended a pass since 2008.  Even with Tuberville, I remember us bitching all the time that we would never look back for the ball.  Auburn hasn't defended a pass since Carlos Rogers was there. 

- Alabama can't kick field goals.  LSU can't pass the ball.  Texas A&M can't play defense.  Oklahoma can't not choke.  Georgia can't escape adversity whether it's injuries, suspensions, or transfers. 

Final Thought

- Today's game was indicative of our entire season.  Loads of talent.  Loads of potential.  We are better than them.  But too many bonehead mistakes to win it all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

Re: Thoughts - Week Game Over, Man
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:07 AM »
Well done TH.
Have been through too many of these heartbreakers to sink too low and this type of feeling is far different than getting run on a rail like you indicated.

As I watched the TAMU sideline I thought of LA Monroe. Sumlin had a plan with a new kid and we had no answers which in my estimation indicates we were not playoff worthy and this opponent is now like Tuberville's Arky. We will have to absorb more of this TAMU, Sumlin hype in the coming seasons while other teams can throat punch them every year.

Genius has it we don't continue on this skid though as Athens,GA and Turdville should be put on high alert meaning if we have the Head Coach we all think Malzahn is then he will answer in a most definitive way irregardless of our flaws on the defensive side of the ball. The man started his coaching career on that side and he cannot NOT know defense to be such a renowned offensive mind. It's no secret how I feel about our bend but blitz defense and this should be E.J.'s final year in this capacity and once the carousel starts someone should be available. This can't continue if we are to compete for players and titles in the SEC West and beyond.

On a lesser note: Jameis Winston is a crappy individual outside of the lines but a true leader with tremendous skills as a college player. Don't know how it plays out but Fisher has a far better supporting cast than any of us give him credit. They just play very inconsistently like a young team that loses key players to the NFL.

I only disagree with you about Amari Cooper because I can picture Alabama without him just as we were without Sammy early on and now Duke. I don't get all of the Jerry Rice comparisons by the media but he can really do some damage if not accounted for and should perform very well on the next level when a lone corner has to match up with him.
He can ball.

*I saw Duke get low-dived on a straightened leg and I don't want him to try to play under any circumstance even if a doctor claims he can't do any more damage by doing so. Sammy is going to have his injury repaired asap and as a fan of the game I don't care to see us playing guys that limp around with a heavy brace.

WDE!     

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »
Auburn

Ninjas, please. 783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. That's a tragedy. Auburn losing a football game is quite small in grand scheme.

Oh it stings, no doubt, but it happens.

Let us not forget that Gus for all the good he has done is still figuring out this head coach in college thing. It takes time to be a molder of coaches on both sides of the ball. We do need some changes on defense, I agree. Maybe a change philosophy, coaching, and approach would complete the overhaul. We also need to figure out a consistent intermediate passing game to go along with this double bad ass running game.

Alabama

Lucky as they always are and generally aided by opponent stupidity. LSU didn't even try for the TD after Yeldon fumbled and that botched pooch kick was classic LSU brain fart.

Speaking of Yeldon, let this be a notice to every player who goes there. You WILL play with injury. Not just banged up but with injury. Yeldon's ankle should have kept him off the field. But because Derrick
Henry is all look like Tarzan run like Jane's sister, Yeldon had to go carry the load. He's not the first. One and won't be the last one to roll into the NFL with significant injury issues.

Oh and Mississippi State will clean their clock if they pull that stuff next week.

Florida State
It's too bad Jameis Winston is such an off the field mess because on the field, he's special.

Oregon

Fast and overrated. I'm rooting for Arizona State to cancel their ticket to the dance.

Now on to Georgia who is apparently preparing for a "revenge" blackout. Let's hope Gus and co. Can spoil that like milk left in the refrigerator door.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »
Notice how much better we were with both Whitehead and Mincy in the game? Second half yielded only 6 points. But why? Because of my first statement? Adjustments? Problem is the first half also happened. The continuous putting ourselves in a hole and having to dig out is getting old. We eliminate the 1st quarter of every game this year and were probably the best team in the country. It's frustrating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
Auburn

Ninjas, please. 783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. That's a tragedy. Auburn losing a football game is quite small in grand scheme.

Oh it stings, no doubt, but it happens.

Let us not forget that Gus for all the good he has done is still figuring out this head coach in college thing. It takes time to be a molder of coaches on both sides of the ball. We do need some changes on defense, I agree. Maybe a change philosophy, coaching, and approach would complete the overhaul. We also need to figure out a consistent intermediate passing game to go along with this double bad ass running game.

Alabama

Lucky as they always are and generally aided by opponent stupidity. LSU didn't even try for the TD after Yeldon fumbled and that botched pooch kick was classic LSU brain fart.

Speaking of Yeldon, let this be a notice to every player who goes there. You WILL play with injury. Not just banged up but with injury. Yeldon's ankle should have kept him off the field. But because Derrick
Henry is all look like Tarzan run like Jane's sister, Yeldon had to go carry the load. He's not the first. One and won't be the last one to roll into the NFL with significant injury issues.

Oh and Mississippi State will clean their clock if they pull that stuff next week.

Florida State
It's too bad Jameis Winston is such an off the field mess because on the field, he's special.

Oregon

Fast and overrated. I'm rooting for Arizona State to cancel their ticket to the dance.

Now on to Georgia who is apparently preparing for a "revenge" blackout. Let's hope Gus and co. Can spoil that like milk left in the refrigerator door.
Times up in this league. You don't ever learn it all but you can rarely teach an old dog like EJ anything new that he hasn't seen and just like that Todd Grantham was a hit that quickly turned to a goat. Sometimes though you just have to get a different perspective to see the difference between playing badly and just flat out looking silly and helpless, especially when it remains something more than a trend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
Notice how much better we were with both Whitehead and Mincy in the game? Second half yielded only 6 points. But why? Because of my first statement? Adjustments? Problem is the first half also happened. The continuous putting ourselves in a hole and having to dig out is getting old. We eliminate the 1st quarter of every game this year and were probably the best team in the country. It's frustrating.

Why are we not adjusted to start the game? We are 3/4 through the season, I think we know what most teams are going to try and do. Except for the cupcakes (and lsu) it seems like we are down points before our game clock breaks (again).

If Gus is the coach we all hope him to be, decisions have to be made on the defensive side of the ball.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:00:40 AM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
I am not making excuses for Johnson by any means, but I truly don't think we have the horses in the secondary to be worth a shit. Does Whitehead make that much difference? It damn sure looks like it. Auburn didn't give up a TD last night after 10:00 to go in the second quarter. Hell, one of our corners is a 4th year senior that has played corner at the collegiate level for under a year. Did we think that Trovon was that good of an athlete to just switch over the the defense and get significant playing time? Or did the guys back there just suck ass?

The first TD was a completely blown coverage. Is that the players fucking up or Johnson not getting them prepared? I don't know.

The second TD was a really good back shoulder throw where Mincy had good coverage. He just can't make a play on the ball. Is that Johnson's fault not getting him prepared or is he just not that good? I don't know.

One of the other TD's is where Mincy let a guy completely inside for an easy slant. It looked like Trovon had inside leverage up top but Mincy let his guy free to the middle. Did they have bracket coverage and the safety not get over in time or did the slight outside move which Mincy bit on just beat Mincy? How does Mincy not have inside leverage when they play man? Is that by design? Is Mincy not coached that in practice? Or does Mincy just fucking suck? I don't know.

On one of their long runs in the 4th quarter, there were 3 Auburn players that met the RB in the backfield which should have been stopped for a loss. 2 of them were secondary players. The RB juked all 3 of them and ran for a long gain. Is the defense not practicing tackling or getting them prepared enough? Or are they just not that good? I don't know.

I like Therezie, but that dude is average at best in defending the pass. He got completely burned all night in the S. Carolina game and a couple of times yesterday.

I doubt there is going to be much change from a defensive coaching perspective after the season for the reasons I just mentioned. Again, they didn't score an offensive TD for the last 40 minutes of the ball game. 95% of the time, that equates to a win, and probably a blowout.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:07:17 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
Auburn

GFY. 

There are other places to discuss the plight of Bama fans.  Nobody gives a damn that they have to piss and shit in the street because their outhouses are backed up.  That's not what this place is for. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »
Just a note: Montravious Adam's shows one assist for the game. What kind of stat line is that for one of the most active big men Auburn has had throughout the years?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
I am not making excuses for Johnson by any means, but I truly don't think we have the horses in the secondary to be worth a shit. Does Whitehead make that much difference? It damn sure looks like it. Auburn didn't give up a TD last night after 10:00 to go in the second quarter. Hell, one of our corners is a 4th year senior that has played corner at the collegiate level for under a year. Did we think that Trovon was that good of an athlete to just switch over the the defense and get significant playing time? Or did the guys back there just suck ass?

The first TD was a completely blown coverage. Is that the players fucking up or Johnson not getting them prepared? I don't know.

The second TD was a really good back shoulder throw where Mincy had good coverage. He just can't make a play on the ball. Is that Johnson's fault not getting him prepared or is he just not that good? I don't know.

One of the other TD's is where Mincy let a guy completely inside for an easy slant. It looked like Trovon had inside leverage up top but Mincy let his guy free to the middle. Did they have bracket coverage and the safety not get over in time or did the slight outside move which Mincy bit on just beat Mincy? How does Mincy not have inside leverage when they play man? Is that by design? Is Mincy not coached that in practice? Or does Mincy just fucking suck? I don't know.

On one of their long runs in the 4th quarter, there were 3 Auburn players that met the RB in the backfield which should have been stopped for a loss. 2 of them were secondary players. The RB juked all 3 of them and ran for a long gain. Is the defense not practicing tackling or getting them prepared enough? Or are they just not that good? I don't know.

I like Therezie, but that dude is average at best in defending the pass. He got completely burned all night in the S. Carolina game and a couple of times yesterday.

I doubt there is going to be much change from a defensive coaching perspective after the season for the reasons I just mentioned. Again, they didn't score an offensive TD for the last 40 minutes of the ball game. 95% of the time, that equates to a win, and probably a blowout.

One game of this and its a bad game, two years of this and the defense getting worst all the time is coaching. So we didn't give up a touchdown in the last 40 minutes, we were so shitastic the first 20 minutes they didn't need to score. Under CJE we just don't seem to put a solid FULL game together against good teams.   (and A&M was not even a good team)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »

One game of this and its a bad game, two years of this and the defense getting worst all the time is coaching. So we didn't give up a touchdown in the last 40 minutes, we were so shitastic the first 20 minutes they didn't need to score. Under CJE we just don't seem to put a solid FULL game together against good teams.   (and A&M was not even a good team)
No way I question EJ as an evaluator of talent. So what is it that leaves us reeling in every game since LSU?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
No way I question EJ as an evaluator of talent. So what is it that leaves us reeling in every game since LSU?

I guess my question is that every where he has gone defenses have gotten better under him, the why are we getting worst?

Are the players CGC players? His talent evaluation is suspect at best?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

Complacency on all sides of the ball at practice which rolls over to game time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Seen a lot of focus on the scoring plays. 

Those don't bother me.  It's ALL the other plays that piss me off. 

They drove 95 yards for a score.  How many times did we have them in third and longish only to jump offsides?  Why can't we get off the field on third down?  Why are screens and slants open on every single play? 

I watched LSU against Alabama last night.  They kept their offense completely in check.  Other than a dumbass interception late in the first half that gave Alabama a cheap score, their offense couldn't do a damn thing.  Why?  Pressure on Sims who is an average to shitty quarterback. He's fucking terrible.  And they played tight coverage on the Tide wideouts.  They pressed them at the line of scrimmage and had safety help over the top. 

UNTIL....

The last fucking idiotic stupid cocksucking Alabama drive.  They'd killed them all night by playing up and forcing the mediocre Tide receivers to fight off the line.  With a lead and the chance to win a huge game?  WHY the FUCKING FUCK did they back off and give them the underneath stuff?  I understand that you want to keep the receivers in front of you conceptually, but why, why, why WHY give that doofus a chance to make easy throws and move the ball into field goal range?  As soon as I saw how LSU was lined up on the last series, I threw up my hands into two birds at the screen and screamed DAMN YOU, CHAVIS YOU IDIOTIC BASTARD.  My LSU fan friend didn't understand until she saw it unfold before her eyes. 

Losing to Texas A&M didn't exactly hurt.  It hurt because we pissed away chances to be something really special this season, but it really pissed me off more than anything.  We haven't improved. If anything we've regressed.  That's a concern.  We should be way better than A&M.  We're better than MSU. We shouldn't have been close with SC. Or Old Piss.  We've played ONE game all season where we had it together and skull fucked LSU.  We could do that to anybody and everybody.  Disappointing that we don't. 

We're like the fucking Braves.  Trot out a kid who's never played and he'll no hit the Braves. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Yoda

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
Agree with Kaos on LSU's defense on last Bama drive.  The entire second half they were pressing Bama and it was working to perfection, then with 55 seconds they decide to give a cushion and quit pressuring the shitty QB.  Almost every defense I watch does this on the last drive of the game when the other team is trying to catch up, it almost always fails.  Prevent defense is crap.  We seem to implement that game plan 80% of the two time which is why we keep getting shredded for 5,10 and 15 yard passes.  When we play tight man and put some pressure on the QB our success rate defending the pass is much improved.  I understand playing zone and not pressing the WR's to not give up the big play but when we consistently do that anyway, why fucking not play press man coverage with one safety over the top?

Gus's game plan to allow opponents to score but we will score more points has proven to work more times than not.  As a fan it is exciting to watch but also very nerve racking.  It's impressive to know that we can spot opponents 14+ and still have a chance to win because of our explosive offense.  I just can't seem to think how dominant we would be if we had a good not great defense.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 01:54:02 PM »
The last fucking idiotic stupid cocksucking Alabama drive.  They'd killed them all night by playing up and forcing the mediocre Tide receivers to fight off the line.  With a lead and the chance to win a huge game?  WHY the FUCKING FUCK did they back off and give them the underneath stuff?  I understand that you want to keep the receivers in front of you conceptually, but why, why, why WHY give that doofus a chance to make easy throws and move the ball into field goal range?  As soon as I saw how LSU was lined up on the last series, I threw up my hands into two birds at the screen and screamed DAMN YOU, CHAVIS YOU IDIOTIC BASTARD.  My LSU fan friend didn't understand until she saw it unfold before her eyes. 
LSU does that every time they play Alabama for some reason.  Press coverage all game, and it works.  End of the game on a crucial drive, they play off coverage.  Drives the LSU boards absolutely crazy.  You would think that Chavis would have figured this out by now.  Miles is probably too busy eating grass to notice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Yoda

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
LSU does that every time they play Alabama for some reason.  Press coverage all game, and it works.  End of the game on a crucial drive, they play off coverage.  Drives the LSU boards absolutely crazy.  You would think that Chavis would have figured this out by now.  Miles is probably too busy eating grass to notice.

I have noticed that also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
GFY. 

I forgive you. I really do. May you find peace with whatever makes you angry. It is not my intention to provoke such vitriol. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:44:50 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
I didn't realize that our defense stepped up after the first twenty minutes.  Kudos for the adjustments, but again, the first twenty minutes were that bad. 

My point that I didn't really clarify is that from 2009 until 2011, we all were absolutely adamant that Ted Roof was the problem.  We were certain that Roof's defensive strategy was piss poor, bend-don't-break-but-always-breaks and that if we just had a good defensive coordinator, Chizik and Gus would rule the world. 

And in 2012 we thought Van Gorder would save us, but he didn't. 

Now we have a guy that supposedly is one of the better, more experienced coordinators in the game, but he's actually worse than Ted Roof. 

On another note, CAP has better numbers than Mason except Mason had three more touchdowns at this point.  Mason's final numbers are also a bit inflated with the 300+ yard performance against Missouri.  But CAP is on pace for more yards per game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »

My point that I didn't really clarify is that from 2009 until 2011, we all were absolutely adamant that Ted Roof was the problem.  We were certain that Roof's defensive strategy was piss poor, bend-don't-break-but-always-breaks and that if we just had a good defensive coordinator, Chizik and Gus would rule the world. 

And in 2012 we thought Van Gorder would save us, but he didn't. 

Now we have a guy that supposedly is one of the better, more experienced coordinators in the game, but he's actually worse than Ted Roof. 

The pattern I see here is guys who have been doing this for a while and not changing with the game. We need young new innovative coaching blood on the defensive side. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions