Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ellis Johnson: "It's not my fault, people!!! War Eagle?"

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Ellis Johnson: "It's not my fault, people!!! War Eagle?"
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
The players just need to stop missing assignments and tackles. That's all. Well, he didn't exactly say that but it's implied. He talks about increasing the tackling drills.

I'm sure that Johnson is frustrated. But his ass makes a lot of money and we need to see better tackling and more pass rush at a minimum. It would be nice to see better coverage too.

We were doing a pretty good job against the run but we've even regressed in that area the last couple of games.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting we get our shoot together against the thugs and updykes to close out the season.

On a brighter note, I went by the xgate Saturday, looking for someone. I had my jiu jitsu shoes on just in case but the mofo had apparently got wind of my pending arrival and was gone. That's o.k. though. I plan to keep my skills sharpened until next year and his day will come.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/increase_of_missed_tackles_has.html

Increase of missed tackles has Auburn's Ellis Johnson scratching head
Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com By  Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM, updated November 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn's defense has been on a seesaw all season.

Players miss assignments, but make great tackles one week and then miss tackles and stay on assignment against the next opponent. Consistent is not the correct way to describe these Tigers, who seemingly are never on the same page week to week, especially during the last few games when the defense has allowed 35.5 points in the last four games and most recently lost 41-38 to Texas A&M.

"That's the thing that's been so frustrating," defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said. "The missed assignments have come down but they always seem to be real glaring -- turn a man loose in man coverage, hit a blitz and hit the wrong gap, trip up another guy and you don't get the pressure on a guy and all of a sudden now you can't cover for five seconds."

Missing assignments, lacking a true pass rush and blowing coverage in the secondary are concerning, sure, but can Auburn improve in all areas by the end of the season? Johnson is looking for answers. The biggest issues Saturday against Texas A&M were the missed tackles and poor fundamentals in pass coverage.

Johnson counted at least 11 missed tackles resulting in 114 yards after first contact. The Aggies amassed 453 yards.

"Of course, you're going to miss some on great players," said Johnson, "but if you eliminate half of that, it will get you off the field quicker, get your offense the ball quicker, helps field position and everything."

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson discusses missed tackles against TAMU

AUBURN, Alabama - Auburn Defensive Coordinator Ellis Johnson talks to the media Sunday, Nov. 9, 2014, about missed tackles and defensive errors during the Texas A&M game. (Julie Bennett/ jbennett@al.com)

What's interesting is that it seems Auburn's tackling has gotten worse since its open date, when Johnson placed onus on himself to improve tackling with additional drills. They implemented a 5-minute tackling circuit into practices the week before facing South Carolina, and they continue to work through the drill on Tuesdays and Wednesdays of every week.

Players work the open field, angle tackling, form tackling and stripping the ball. It doesn't seem to be translating on game days, however. "We've got to coach it better, I guess," Johnson said.

Auburn considers passes of 20 yards or more and runs of 15 yards or more as "explosive plays." The Aggies had five such plays totaling 160 yards and three touchdowns in the first half.

"It's hard for people to score without one of those," said Johnson, "but we just keep finding a way to put them on the field."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:23:54 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Re: Ellis Johnson: "It's not my fault, people!!! War Eagle?"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
You know what you never hear?

You never hear a coach act surprised that his players are tackling well after he didn't try to teach them how to tackle.  You also never hear a coach act surprised that his players aren't blowing coverages after he didn't try to teach them how to cover.

But you do often hear coaches act surprised that their players are not tackling well even though they think they've taught them correctly.  You also hear coaches act surprised that their players are not covering well even though they think they've taught them how to cover.  These are the coaches that usually end up looking for a new job. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Alls I can say is that the guy who didn't show up is really a lucky mofo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Alls I can say is that the guy who didn't show up is really a lucky mofo.

Yeah, I'm happy I didn't have to witness that game in person, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »

You never hear a coach act surprised that his players are tackling well after he didn't try to teach them how to tackle.  You also never hear a coach act surprised that his players aren't blowing coverages after he didn't try to teach them how to cover.

But you do often hear coaches act surprised that their players are not tackling well even though they think they've taught them correctly.  You also hear coaches act surprised that their players are not covering well even though they think they've taught them how to cover.  These are the coaches that usually end up looking for a new job.
Tamu qb appeared to be getting rid of the ball so quick that what little pass rush we are able to muster would've been deficient anyway, imo. I don't know what the answer is for Saturday but I do know that better tackling would've helped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »

Position coaches teach that moreso than the DC. EJ has a great track record as a DC. He didn't forget to coach and scheme suddenly. IN GAME, his job is to scheme correctly, and most of the time he does that right. I don't know if its Harbison or Smith or whoever, but these guys consistently overrun backs, WRs, arm tackle, missle tackle, you name it. Its just horrible fundamentals. Some of that may be coaching, some of it may be the product of having a green secondary (minus Whitehead and Mincy) with no pass rush up front. I just know it needs to get unfucked. And I'm not sure it will this year for a full 4 quarter game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
I can only agree he has a long storied career with some successes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:19:40 AM »
He's old. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.