Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week Game Over, Man

jmar

Re: Thoughts - Week Game Over, Man
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »

The pattern I see here is guys who have been doing this for a while and not changing with the game. We need young new innovative coaching blood on the defensive side.
If you look at where many coordinators have been it's often not a head coaching change that precipitates their leaving but them wearing out their welcome with back to back poor showings at another program.
A head coach will often laud their own hiring of a seasoned coordinator and the fanbase generally buys the addition because they are caught up with all of the new energy and cheerleading that comes with the new regime that replaces the failed old one.

The points against column is the one that former players and experts point to that define a defense.
I don't care for our keep it close, win it at the end, have more left in the tank than our opponents philosophy. Doesn't matter what I think.

What matters is that Gus values continuity of the staff and is very loyal toward that end. JMO but I doubt CEJ will be cut loose as long as our HC feels we have a chance to win with the guy. Sumlin is probably another that thinks he can outscore you in spite of subpar defense.
But on certain occaisions we all know you can't allow these teams to hang around because it eventually catches up with you...hence we observe these teams that always seem to drop a game that they had no business losing.   

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:34:44 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »

The pattern I see here is guys who have been doing this for a while and not changing with the game. We need young new innovative coaching blood on the defensive side.

IF......big IF, we are going to do that - someone like Manny Diaz comes to mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »

No.  Talent is lacking. And we need player leadership. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »
Granted there might be some talent issues. But if that is the case then our opponents are killing us in the development phase. We haven't been getting beat out for kids that play DB. Front seven is a different story. Leadership is character based and some of that is learned or is a by-product of the coaches.
Other teams have similar issues. Players graduate and there is attrition. But with the exception of 2011-'12, Auburn has the same damn chance every season to get it right as does every other team.

That we play inconsistently, sandbag or lie in wait to play harder for certain portions of a game is mind boggling. WTF does any of this have to do with getting lined up right and applying proper technique in coverage on a receiver, or tackling?

CEJ is hand picking larger corners with more reach and enough speed to handle the large receivers we face. But that doesn't excuse the failures NOW. A staff should do its best when challenged. Bill Oliver would tell you straight up that anybody can coach the best cover guys, the best leaders.

Auburn isn't alone in this search. Our opponents either succeed or fail in the same regards to these same issues. I just think we are failing when it keeps happening at this level-OUR LEVEL!

And our level contends for titles.
We shouldn't be stinking up the joint with shoddy play.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »

The uptick in play when Whitehead and Mincy are in the game proves you are correct IMHO.

After they were both in the game on a regular basis, we looked slightly better than average. Time for Gustav to end the guy's prison sentence and start him again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
The uptick in play when Whitehead and Mincy are in the game proves you are correct IMHO.

After they were both in the game on a regular basis, we looked slightly better than average. Time for Gustav to end the guy's prison sentence and start him again.

First time in a while we can say LBs are pretty good. The DL is pretty good but obviously lacking a pass rush threat on the ends. This is the first part of the problem. The other part is the DBs are not so great. With that, the opposing QBs are looking for a festival of stats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
My biggest beef in watching the defense against both Cackalacky and aTm was that our corners are playing press man coverage and letting the receivers get inside.  On. Every. Damn. Play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »

I've heard Whitehead was actually suspended for talking back to a coach concerning the lack of coaching he was getting.  Is there any truth to this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Yeah, the whole defense thing is mind boggling.  The last few weeks, it's been a consistent pattern of giving up massive chunks of yardage and points early....adjust.....and hope the offense does it's thing.  Even though the offense had 30+ first downs and almost 600 yards, the "luck" finally did run out. 

No, our DB's are not good.  That's the understatement of the century.  But to me, I can't grasp why a senior dominated defensive line simply can't whip the guy in front of them more often than not.  We can point fingers at Ellis Johnson all day long but sometimes, it just comes down to a senior like Gabe Wright, owning the guy in front of him and blowing up the backfield.  Sometimes, you have to go Nick Fairley and bring the pain.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »
Yeah, the whole defense thing is mind boggling.  The last few weeks, it's been a consistent pattern of giving up massive chunks of yardage and points early....adjust.....and hope the offense does it's thing.  Even though the offense had 30+ first downs and almost 600 yards, the "luck" finally did run out. 

No, our DB's are not good.  That's the understatement of the century.  But to me, I can't grasp why a senior dominated defensive line simply can't whip the guy in front of them more often than not.  We can point fingers at Ellis Johnson all day long but sometimes, it just comes down to a senior like Gabe Wright, owning the guy in front of him and blowing up the backfield.  Sometimes, you have to go Nick Fairley and bring the pain.   

This.  Every stinking bit of it.

It should also be noted that there is a depth problem when you have a guy that had been a WR for three years and was never able to crack the rotation there, but moves to DB and does so. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »

Probably the best analysis of the defense I have seen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
Probably the best analysis of the defense I have seen.

He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
I've heard Whitehead was actually suspended for talking back to a coach concerning the lack of coaching he was getting.  Is there any truth to this?

Stronger rumor is that he threw punches at a coach but who knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

Damn right.  Name one player on our D that is elite?  Monty? Nope, too inconsistent.  Gabe?  No, he is too. 

Granted there might be some talent issues. But if that is the case then our opponents are killing us in the development phase.

Having players in the right place to make plays is scheming.  That is on your D coordinator.  Getting them to execute and knowing what to do to make those plays comes down to position coaching, imo.  They are either not getting it done or we don't have the talent.  I go with lack of talent.

My biggest beef in watching the defense against both Cackalacky and aTm was that our corners are playing press man coverage and letting the receivers get inside.  On. Every. Damn. Play.

Again, to me that is on the position coaches.

Gabe, Whitaker, Blackson are just like Fairley was his junior year.  Unlike Fairley, it clicked his senior year and for those three seniors it never has.

This.  Every stinking bit of it.

It should also be noted that there is a depth problem when you have a guy that had been a WR for three years and was never able to crack the rotation there, but moves to DB and does so.

I can't believe that I bought into the hype that we were ok and that Reed was a good enough athlete to make the transition and wouldn't miss a beat. :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
I didn't realize that our defense stepped up after the first twenty minutes.  Kudos for the adjustments, but again, the first twenty minutes were that bad. 

Don't worry. You didn't realize it because it didn't look or feel as though that were the case. Sure, there were more times than in the first half where AU finally stepped up and made a stop but there were just as many times that TAMU were picking us apart with ease.

All I want is discipline and consistency, not this feast or famine BS. Auburn defense shouldn't feel like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »

Agree...esp on the EJ part. You can even see that on most plays, scheme wise, he puts them in position to MAKE plays....they just whiff. Its a lot of execution gone wrong. Counted too many times when we appeared to have a guy locked down or the angle on him only to have him blow past 3-4 of our guys. Like AUT1, thats technique and position coaching.

And yes, in the end having no pressure from the DL doesn't help at all. QB's know this and have all day. Our average or below DB's can't hold on very long much less an eternity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »

Losing to Texas A&M didn't exactly hurt.  It hurt because we pissed away chances to be something really special this season, but it really pissed me off more than anything.  We haven't improved. If anything we've regressed.  That's a concern.  We should be way better than A&M.  We're better than MSU. We shouldn't have been close with SC. Or Old Piss.  We've played ONE game all season where we had it together and skull fucked LSU.  We could do that to anybody and everybody.  Disappointing that we don't. 

This is where I am,  I am still so fucking angry we lost this game.  I wouldn't mind (as much) if we lost to a better team, but both losses this year were not to better teams.  We did more to fuck ourselves up then they did to win the game. That includes penalties and turnovers.

And I am not on the fire Johnson bus, he can get out there and make kids tackle, at the end of the day you coach them but they have to be the ones that execute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
We were beaten up front on both sides of the ball for the greater part of the first half.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
This is where I am,  I am still so fucking angry we lost this game.  I wouldn't mind (as much) if we lost to a better team, but both losses this year were not to better teams.  We did more to fuck ourselves up then they did to win the game. That includes penalties and turnovers.

And I am not on the fire Johnson bus, he can get out there and make kids tackle, at the end of the day you coach them but they have to be the ones that execute.

THIS GUY knows. ^^ ALL OF THIS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »
Johnson is one of the best 2nd half defensive coordinators in the country. Malzahn just needs to hire another good d cor to coach the first half. But srsly, it isn't Ellis Johnson's fault that we ran out of luck.

Some of you need to turn that frown upside down. The Duck Commander Independence Bowl is still within reach. Shreveport is nice in January.

Thanks guys. I will be here in and out, all day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com