Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

While We're Ripping Apart Every Other Aspect..

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
While We're Ripping Apart Every Other Aspect..
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
of the program....I've actually had more than one discussion in the past several weeks about another area that might be in need of a change.  I know this may be BLASPHEMY to many but could some of our troubles be a result of our strength and conditioning methods? 

I attended two Yox seminars in first couple of years at AU and as he readily admits, his approach is different than most.  He focuses far more on exercises, lifts, runs etc. that translate more toward what you would be doing on the field.  For instance, I don't know if he still uses this approach, but he had guys bench pressing with their grip in much closer, almost a tricep press, because a lineman blocks with his hands inside and that's where he feels the strength should be.  Sounds good in theory and seems to make sense. 

Anyone recall a guy that went by "The Deacon"?  Might have been on Ghey Nation but he claimed to have worked with Yox as a GA, if memory serves.  But, he was very critical of Yox's methods, claiming he wasn't interested in bulking guys up and getting them stronger.  Said his methods were more about conditioning than building real strength.  Admittedly, we constantly talk about getting this guy or that guy in here and "Yoxercising" him up to 250 or 315.  And our players do seem to consistently put on weight each year....except McProne.  But, I also think that's a natural occurrence when you're 17-22 and weight training and sitting at a training table with the best foods all day every day. 

I'm not dogging the guy.  He knows more about his craft than I could ever dream of learning.  And yes, I see the pic of Porsche throwing a couple of tons overhead.  But if we're going back to more of a ground and pound style, do we need to focus more on our linemen squatting small busses and benching Volvos?  As one coach I talked to said when we were talking about it, "I'm sure he's good but sometimes you just need a change".  Are our defensive tackles getting pushed around for a reason?  Are our linebackers not getting off blocks because they're getting physically whipped?  Just food for thought while we ponder why we suck everywhere else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: While We're Ripping Apart Every Other Aspect..
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
Then why were the LBs under Tubs fucking bad ass?  You walk up to Dansby and tell him that he's getting whipped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
Then why were the LBs under Tubs fucking bad ass?  You walk up to Dansby and tell him that he's getting whipped.

I'll slap da' taste out his mouf.  With a few exceptions, Dansby...Thomas..the LB's under CTT were smaller and quicker. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
I'll slap da' taste out his mouf.  With a few exceptions, Dansby...Thomas..the LB's under CTT were smaller and quicker.

Was about to say the same thing. Most RBs weve had the last 4 years were bigger than a lot of LBs we had from 2000-2008. Dansby and DT were exceptions. Remember Karibbe DEEDEE? Dude was about 201.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »
I think for ever Karibe DeeDee you produce, I could name Alex Lincoln or a Pounds.

But thinking back, who was the DC before Chizik?  Lovell?  I thought his philosophy was to take "bigger" defensive backs and move them to a hybrid linebacker/DB role?  Or was that Chizik?  fuck, I can't remember.  Or was it more a philosophy of Tubs?

Wonder if that's why Gibbs bolted?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
I think we're reaching.

I was with you on your initial take, Snags.

Holland is terrible and Frazier is fucking disgraceful.

That's the problem. Secondary problems that can be inferred from that are A) Chizik shouldn't have let it get this bad going into the season and B) There's a major problem with developing talent and actually coaching.

That being said, Chizik can't be expected to coach, for example, the QB directly. So what does he do? He sees it's a problem, and what does he do? Hire someone renowned for developing QBs. Apparently, he's beyond help.

Then on the other hand, he should certainly be held accountable for his staff not producing, and recognize that there is a major problem and fix it...if that's actually the problem.

I'm bumfuzzled.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:57:59 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »
I heard the cheerleaders sucked too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »

Sure, but do they swallow?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
Yoxall was one of Tuberville's biggest selling points when I was in the athletic department.  Yox was awarded some trophies or something for being a badass strength and conditioning coach, and he was very articulate when communicating his philosophy to parents and recruits.

No clue why the strength is down the past two years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
of the program....I've actually had more than one discussion in the past several weeks about another area that might be in need of a change.  I know this may be BLASPHEMY to many but could some of our troubles be a result of our strength and conditioning methods? 

I attended two Yox seminars in first couple of years at AU and as he readily admits, his approach is different than most.  He focuses far more on exercises, lifts, runs etc. that translate more toward what you would be doing on the field.  For instance, I don't know if he still uses this approach, but he had guys bench pressing with their grip in much closer, almost a tricep press, because a lineman blocks with his hands inside and that's where he feels the strength should be.  Sounds good in theory and seems to make sense. 

Anyone recall a guy that went by "The Deacon"?  Might have been on Ghey Nation but he claimed to have worked with Yox as a GA, if memory serves.  But, he was very critical of Yox's methods, claiming he wasn't interested in bulking guys up and getting them stronger.  Said his methods were more about conditioning than building real strength.  Admittedly, we constantly talk about getting this guy or that guy in here and "Yoxercising" him up to 250 or 315.  And our players do seem to consistently put on weight each year....except McProne.  But, I also think that's a natural occurrence when you're 17-22 and weight training and sitting at a training table with the best foods all day every day. 

I'm not dogging the guy.  He knows more about his craft than I could ever dream of learning.  And yes, I see the pic of Porsche throwing a couple of tons overhead.  But if we're going back to more of a ground and pound style, do we need to focus more on our linemen squatting small busses and benching Volvos?  As one coach I talked to said when we were talking about it, "I'm sure he's good but sometimes you just need a change".  Are our defensive tackles getting pushed around for a reason?  Are our linebackers not getting off blocks because they're getting physically whipped?  Just food for thought while we ponder why we suck everywhere else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:14 AM »
I've been saying the same thing the past week, we seem weak up front (almost no push from the interior guys), but yet we have two Freshmen getting a pretty good push. Note, theses guys in the interior (Guards and Center) have been in the weight program for 2-4 years...I don't get it.  Same goes for our DTs and LBers. Have they not been in off-season weight programs? If so, are they doing anything besides Lolley Gaggin around?

Off Topic: Are the players wearing their Power Bands this year like they did for the 2010 season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »

The real problem is the damn stripper boots being worn by the majorettes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
We have lots of issues. I don't think Yox is one of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »

Oh come on, it makes for a better stew if we throw all the ingredients in the pot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

Look, bucko, we're ripping everyone.  It's scroched earth for Auburn.  I'm just waiting to see if the 50 yard line logo at JHS has the proper color contrast this weekend.  If not....the painter/striper guys best duck for cover.  You're either with us, or agin us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
Look, bucko, we're ripping everyone.  It's scroched earth for Auburn.  I'm just waiting to see if the 50 yard line logo at JHS has the proper color contrast this weekend.  If not....the painter/striper guys best duck for cover.  You're either with us, or agin us.

My 10:25:02 is better than yours.   :haha: :haha: :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »
Have we talked about the Defense yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
Have we talked about the Defense yet?

They need heavy squats
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
They need heavy squats

With Jake 10 yards downfield how many can he get in before the running back gets to him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
With Jake 10 yards downfield how many can he get in before the running back gets to him?

Squat...backpedal...squat...backpedal....squat....backpedal. 

Run awaaaaayyyyyy....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions