Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Game of Thrones

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Game of Thrones
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Looking for one more series to peg into my list.  Was talked into watching this although I already had Spartacus for the medieval stuff. 

Finally a series that can make me go "what the fuck? really?" 

Took me a while to get into the whole seven families and kingdoms. Even though I just finished season one there are still some names that I have no idea who they are talking about. 

Will definitely dive into season two. 

That makes my list consist of:

Dexter
Homeland
Spartacus
Boardwalk Empire
Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Breaking Bad
Boss
Game of Thrones

Curious, most of that is blood. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
Looking for one more series to peg into my list.  Was talked into watching this although I already had Spartacus for the medieval stuff. 

Finally a series that can make me go "what the fuck? really?" 

Took me a while to get into the whole seven families and kingdoms. Even though I just finished season one there are still some names that I have no idea who they are talking about. 

Will definitely dive into season two. 

That makes my list consist of:

Dexter
Homeland
Spartacus
Boardwalk Empire
Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Breaking Bad
Boss
Game of Thrones

Curious, most of that is blood.
This is my favorite series on Television, period.  I actually get anxious for an upcoming episode, which is rare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
This is my favorite series on Television, period.  I actually get anxious for an upcoming episode, which is rare.

Will start season two tonight.  It's hard for me to decide who to be "for" because everybody has some dirt.  Definitely against the lions, though.  They can all die but the dwarf.  Except I've been told they don't get murderated so it appears I'll get no satisfaction out of that until at least season three.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »
I'm reading the books and plan on watching the HBO series once I finish the third book (which will be in a month or two).

Just one question - at the end of season 1, were the dragons sucking on Dany's tits like described in the book? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
I'm reading the books and plan on watching the HBO series once I finish the third book (which will be in a month or two).

Just one question - at the end of season 1, were the dragons sucking on Dany's tits like described in the book?

Ohh... yummm.  But not exactly. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
I am a power reader.  I read ALL THE TIME.  Plus, I read a wide variety of genres, including epic fantasy, so I am not a novice at a complex familial structures and detailed world building sagas.  I love 600+ page books, three or four to a series.  I love action and fighting and intrigue and betrayal and sex and war.

I bought into the hype over the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga, and got Game of Thrones, which is the first book.

Allow me to channel my inner Kaos for a moment. 

It sucked major donkey ass.  And GRRM is overrated like no author since James Patterson.

There are way too damn many characters and what character development there is either rushed or dragged out to the point of boredom.  You certainly can't put the book down - no, literally, you cannot put the book down.  if you go more than a day or two without reading it, you forget who the fuck all these damn people are. 

The whole thing with the father being the right hand of the king and then he's not and then 400 pages later, we find out his ultimate fate?  Who drags that out?  NO PURPOSE.  Killing off one of the wolves for no damn good reason?  i am all about making no character off limits when it comes to tragedy - that takes guts - but all that happens WAY too early and then that plot line just trickled off... If he picks it up later, it will be too far removed from the revenge factor to have as much impact.  There are too many secondary and tertiary plots and intrigues, and they all intersect too many places.  Even worse, even though the reader knows who the baddies are, and the signs should be glaringly obvious to the other characters, it goes on for 200 pages before DUN DUN DUN... ZOMG, BETRAYAL!!11!!  And we are supposed to accept that the characters are stunned?  I guess they are all dumb as a bag of hammers then.  Plus, I hate seeing stuff coming in such an obvious fashion - a good author only drops subtle hints so that there is maybe some degree of shock or suspense but here, you would have to be blind not to figure it all out.

Even worse, GRRM is an arrogant fuck.  He has said in multiple interviews that he owes his readers NOTHING - they can just gorram well wait until he writes the next book at his own leisure.  You stupid idiot - the books and those loyal readers got you here.  Those books have been out for a while.  So yeah, he does owe the reader. 

I bought the first two books at the same time, and the second book remains unopened - a total waste of money. I slogged my way through the first one, thinking it HAD to get better. 

Nope.

You guys like the show for the guts and the blood and the sex - which is fine.  Not knocking that.  But to say that the books are any good is a real stretch for me.  I can think of five or six other authors or series who blow ASoIaF out of the water. 

Anyone want any recommendations, PM me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:32 PM »
Don't care about the books. 

The show is well done.  It gets a bit mumbly at times, but it's well done. 

Would I watch it if I had to wait a week (or year) to see what happens next?  I dunno.  I watch Dexter which has really gotten bad the last two seasons.  We'll see when I finish season 2 of GoT if I come back to it when it resumes in the spring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »
I loved the books. LOVED them. a shitload of characters? Absolutely. But while the character development was gradual...I honesty gave a shit about who I was supposed to give a shit about. I thought the writing was great...and I was totally obsessed with the characters....and nobody is safe. I really thought law school had effectively killed my love for books....this series brought me back to life. As good as the series is? So SO much better in print.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Tiger Wench

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
I loved the books. LOVED them. a shitload of characters? Absolutely. But while the character development was gradual...I honesty gave a shit about who I was supposed to give a shit about. I thought the writing was great...and I was totally obsessed with the characters....and nobody is safe. I really thought law school had effectively killed my love for books....this series brought me back to life. As good as the series is? So SO much better in print.

To each his own...

When you are ready for another epic saga or even just a good series with a reoccurring character, let me know... there is nothing like getting lost in a good book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
Don't care about the books. 

The show is well done.  It gets a bit mumbly at times, but it's well done. 

Would I watch it if I had to wait a week (or year) to see what happens next?  I dunno.  I watch Dexter which has really gotten bad the last two seasons.  We'll see when I finish season 2 of GoT if I come back to it when it resumes in the spring.

I started the first Dexter book and can't quite get into it, although I am trying.  However, according to reviews, the first three Dexter books were good, and then whammo - they jumped the shark.  The same reviewer that LOVED the first one, thoguht the second was good, thought the third was meh, has now officially called Jeff Lindsey out for publishing crap, and has recommended that no one bother with the books anymore after the last two were so awful. 

If you are interested, the review site I use for books in the epic fantasy/sf/military fantasy/urban fantasy/horror genres is www.elitistbookreviews.com.  They have yet to steer me wrong.  For example, they were spot on with their reviews of Jim Butcher and the Dresden series.  They hated the ones I hated, and got all happy again when the series got better again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
For example, they were spot on with their reviews of Jim Butcher and the Dresden series.

Cough, cough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 01:44:39 AM »
Cough, cough.

THANK YOU OH MIGHTY RECOMENDING ONE!!!   :bow:

However, considering I got you into MHI and the rest of the Larry Correia series, we are MORE than even...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
I am a power reader.  I read ALL THE TIME.  Plus, I read a wide variety of genres, including epic fantasy, so I am not a novice at a complex familial structures and detailed world building sagas.  I love 600+ page books, three or four to a series.  I love action and fighting and intrigue and betrayal and sex and war.

I bought into the hype over the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga, and got Game of Thrones, which is the first book.

Allow me to channel my inner Kaos for a moment. 

It sucked major donkey ass.  And GRRM is overrated like no author since James Patterson.

There are way too damn many characters and what character development there is either rushed or dragged out to the point of boredom.  You certainly can't put the book down - no, literally, you cannot put the book down.  if you go more than a day or two without reading it, you forget who the fuck all these damn people are. 

The whole thing with the father being the right hand of the king and then he's not and then 400 pages later, we find out his ultimate fate?  Who drags that out?  NO PURPOSE.  Killing off one of the wolves for no damn good reason?  i am all about making no character off limits when it comes to tragedy - that takes guts - but all that happens WAY too early and then that plot line just trickled off... If he picks it up later, it will be too far removed from the revenge factor to have as much impact.  There are too many secondary and tertiary plots and intrigues, and they all intersect too many places.  Even worse, even though the reader knows who the baddies are, and the signs should be glaringly obvious to the other characters, it goes on for 200 pages before DUN DUN DUN... ZOMG, BETRAYAL!!11!!  And we are supposed to accept that the characters are stunned?  I guess they are all dumb as a bag of hammers then.  Plus, I hate seeing stuff coming in such an obvious fashion - a good author only drops subtle hints so that there is maybe some degree of shock or suspense but here, you would have to be blind not to figure it all out.

Even worse, GRRM is an arrogant fuck.  He has said in multiple interviews that he owes his readers NOTHING - they can just gorram well wait until he writes the next book at his own leisure.  You stupid idiot - the books and those loyal readers got you here.  Those books have been out for a while.  So yeah, he does owe the reader. 

I bought the first two books at the same time, and the second book remains unopened - a total waste of money. I slogged my way through the first one, thinking it HAD to get better. 

Nope.

You guys like the show for the guts and the blood and the sex - which is fine.  Not knocking that.  But to say that the books are any good is a real stretch for me.  I can think of five or six other authors or series who blow ASoIaF out of the water. 

Anyone want any recommendations, PM me.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
I said I was channeling my inner Kaos.  But I didn't try and destroy anyone's self esteem if they disagreed with me.  To each his own.  I hated it.  Y'all don't.  Iss all cool...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »
I said I was channeling my inner Kaos.  But I didn't try and destroy anyone's self esteem if they disagreed with me.  To each his own.  I hated it.  Y'all don't.  Iss all cool...
Try the show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »

I don't blame you for not liking the books.  I really like them, but they are exceeding long and drawn out.  I did get aggravated in GOT when the fighting started and Martin was still taking time to describe the intricate details of everyone's shields, the horses, the particular shrubs on the battlefield, etc. 

But I'm hooked because the characters are memorable, and the world is so vivid. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
Try the show.
I remember the serious violence in the book well enough and I have heard that the show is equally as violent - and I am not one for watching head hacking off and executions and such.  I don't like war movies for that reason.  I am too tender hearted... :-)  I can read that stuff all day with no problem, but I can't unsee that stuff, and it gives me bad dreams.

I know, sounds weird given how much I like True Blood and Walking Dead - but somehow killing vamps and zombies, who are already dead, doesn't bother me at all.  And the few humans who get killed in those shows are more like horror movie deaths than war movie deaths. 

Yeah, I'm weird.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
I don't blame you for not liking the books.  I really like them, but they are exceeding long and drawn out.  I did get aggravated in GOT when the fighting started and Martin was still taking time to describe the intricate details of everyone's shields, the horses, the particular shrubs on the battlefield, etc. 

But I'm hooked because the characters are memorable, and the world is so vivid.

I am all about long books - but there are times when I read some epic fantasy series and I think - you could have cut 150-200 pages and not lost ANYTHING.  The Jim Butcher Codex Alera series comes to mind.  That is a great epic fantasy.  BUT:  The main characters fight the monster bug queen fifty times in those books - but no ground is ever gained in any battle until the VERY end.  It's like "Oh shit!  Here they come!"  FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT... "Oh shit!  Here they come!"  FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT... "Oh shit!  Here they come!"  FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT...  Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat. And literally there is nothing that happens in the fight to progress the plot.  It's just a fight.  After about the tenth time, you start skipping pages...  Butcher's series was six books of 400+ pages each.  He could have done it in five and it still would have been awesome. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
I enjoy this show...it shows boobies...i like boobies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions