Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Game of Thrones

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:31 PM »
Okay.  I read the books.  And I've watched the show pretty faithfully. 

The books got progressively worse.  The last one was 14,688 pages of utter shit.  14,663 pages of that book were descriptions of clothing and food.  Apparently Martin writes at night when his nightshirt is too tight for his straining gut and he sits there pondering how many fucking things he can drizzle honey over.  That book was probably the worst sci-fi/fantasy/adventure book I've ever read in my life.  And that's depressing because the first one was actually pretty good.  It's like he had an editor and then fired the guy.  I got to the point in the last book to where when I read the words "boiled leather" I'd tear the page out and throw it away.  I cut out half the book that way. 

The show, thankfully, culled all that babbling and blathering into a fairly cohesive season. It deviated pretty strongly from the books in several places, omitting numerous long-ass boring-ass stupid-ass rabbit holes that went nowhere and added nothing.  It graciously deleted scores of secondary characters.  It put certain people in places they weren't in the book and to good effect.  But even still, it couldn't completely get rid of Martin's shitty gleeful sadism. 

Stannis burning his daughter at the stake was gratuitous.  It didn't happen in the books.  The turns from heel to face in this series happen faster than they do in the WWE.  Just a week or two after seeing a positive paternal side of Stannis, they make him the asshole of the universe.  And to what end?  To make you want him more dead when Brienne shows up this week?  Fuck that.

The death (?) of Jon Snow WAS in the books (cliffhanger) but that fat ass Martin may never get around to finishing the next book.  He looks like he's half a liverwurst sandwich from Mt. Vesuvius erupting in his chest.  There are some pissed off people who've stuck with that show through the beheading of Ned, the Red Wedding and all the other shocking shit on which this show makes its bones.  Stabbing Jon to death was simply too much.

At some point there has to be SOMEBODY to root for.  You can't just keep arbitrarily slaughtering characters who are embedded in the lives of the fans for sport.  There are some who will proclaim the genius of "no one being safe."  But IMO there comes a point when the show is really nothing more than a mirror of Ramsey Bolton.  It tortures people for the sheer joy of torture.   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:55:09 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Amargorojo

Game of Thrones
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
DO IT DEVILS
Refuse to lose 3 straight.  Youve refused that all season long, this game should be no different.

Raise that trophy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
GoT is back. 

Does anyone care?   We're losing characters left and right, including the fairly interesting Roose Bolton and the completely boring Doran Martell.  We're getting some characters back in the worst "surprise" in the history of television. 

I really wish they'd kill the entire Martell storyline.  I hate the sand snakes and everything associated with that thread. 

I thought all offseason about the inevitable reanimation of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and had come to the conclusion that the bolder choice would have been to leave him to the dust.  Bringing him back to life was not something the show would have considered for Ned, Joffrey, Robb or any of the other major characters who were slaughtered.

I also knew, however, that the identity of Snow's parents was supposedly a crucial plot point. According to legend, George wouldn't let HBO have the series until the directors were able to correctly tell him who Snow's mother was.  Would that matter if he were dead? 

I'm not sure that the series can maintain its strength without the books as a basis.  Even though the last two books were absolute shit and every story in them took up maybe an episode and a half, they did leave some pretty big storylines hanging.   When the books ended we had Bran up a tree, Snow stabbed and possibly dead, Sansa lost in the snow and Arya blind and in a cult.  While I hate how RR Martin had lost his way with the two bloated and worthless last books, he did get everybody to that point and supposedly had (or has) an end in sight.  Will the series get to them all to that same end? 

What do we know after two episodes.  Ramsey makes Joffrey look like a choir boy.  There are still people showing up and I have no idea who they are although I think I'm supposed to know them.  The red woman is a weirdo.  The Black Watch seems to be pretty weak.  A girl has no name.  Hodor. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:33 AM »
Bringing him back to life was not something the show would have considered for Ned, Joffrey, Robb or any of the other major characters who were slaughtered.

I also knew, however, that the identity of Snow's parents was supposedly a crucial plot point. According to legend, George wouldn't let HBO have the series until the directors were able to correctly tell him who Snow's mother was.  Would that matter if he were dead? 

I think he's Ned's nephew, and not son..  A Targaryen, and the rightful heir.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
I think he's Ned's nephew, and not son..  A Targaryen, and the rightful heir.

Yeah.  If he's not Lyanna's son either by Aerys or by Rhaegar or even possibly Robert Baratheon I'll be surprised. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »
Yeah.  If he's not Lyanna's son either by Aerys or by Rhaegar or even possibly Robert Baratheon I'll be surprised.

This is why I expected them to build a funeral pyre and he would emerge kind of like Dany did with those baby dragons. Alas, he takes a deep breath and the scene cuts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »
This is why I expected them to build a funeral pyre and he would emerge kind of like Dany did with those baby dragons. Alas, he takes a deep breath and the scene cuts.

I thought about that.  But i don't think they want to give away the obvious at this point.  What does this show have left anyway?  This season and next?  And with no books to live by they can make it whatever they want. 

I do fear that they will lean toward shock and disgust (Ramsey killing the baby with the dogs) over good storytelling.  They've already drifted that way more than I'd like as it is. 

I will keep watching it, though, just to make sure I don't miss Silicon Valley. That's an amazing show. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »

Hodor

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »

Hodor

Yeah, last two episodes have been really strong, I think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
Yeah, last two episodes have been really strong, I think.

This being 2016, the need LBGT walkers. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
Absolutely epic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »
Absolutely epic.

I will miss Margaery. 

My problem with that is we didn't get to see what her plan was.  We spent half the season dealing with her and the plan she was putting into place.  There was no payoff.  Sort of a waste of a story thread. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »
I will miss Margaery. 

My problem with that is we didn't get to see what her plan was.  We spent half the season dealing with her and the plan she was putting into place.  There was no payoff.  Sort of a waste of a story thread.
Kinda the way the show breaks tho. Same with Rob Stark. Finding out Jon Snow actually a Targaryen and is the King of Fire and Ice was stunning. Having Walter Frey mock the Blackfish for the way he died only to have his throat slit by the little Stark girl who also feed him his sons was also epic. Gonna be interesting to see claims the throne in the end. Jon and The Mother of Dragons both have legit claims. One things for sure. The most evil person in the kingdom now sits on the throne but hell is on its way for her.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
So season 7 will be to unite the kingdoms vs the white walkers, and put jon snow on the throne, and season 8 will be war vs white walkers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »
So season 7 will be to unite the kingdoms vs the white walkers, and put jon snow on the throne, and season 8 will be war vs white walkers.

There is no season 8. 

Unless plans have changed dramatically.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 09:12:05 AM »
There is no season 8. 

Unless plans have changed dramatically.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-cast-season-8-big-raises-salary-hbo-1201776806/

‘Game Of Thrones’ Stars Set For Potential Season 8 On HBO With Big Raises

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-end-date-season-8-1201752746/

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators Mull Shorter Final Seasons

In an exclusive interview with Variety, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said they are weighing wrapping up the Emmy-winning saga of Westeros and the battle for the Iron Throne with just 13 more episodes once this sixth season is over: seven episodes for season 7; six for the eighth and potential final season.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Fucking links.  Did not read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'