Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Penn State sanction preditions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Penn State sanction preditions
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:52:42 AM »
Got any predictions for the NCAA ruling on Penn State? 

Yeah.  I got one.

Pain. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Penn State sanction preditions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:51:17 AM »
Here's my prediction....

(NCAA is Ivan Drago)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »
My guess: 40 M in fines, 3 years no bowls, 1 year no tv, loss of 40 scholarships.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:56 AM »
 :s&m: :dead: :hammer:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
My guess: 40 M in fines, 3 years no bowls, 1 year no tv, loss of 40 scholarships.

I like the way you think. Might as well give em the death penalty. They need to be cleansed completely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
I would add some "symbolic" punishments also.  Vacating some wins/National Championships (particularly from when Sandusky was DC) and possibly removing Joe Pa from the record books.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »

Nice prediction Jarhead. Very close.

Fine of 60 million
No Bowl and postseason for 4 years
Scholarships reduced to 15 per year for 4 years
Vacates 1998-2011 wins (112 total - 111 from Joe Pa's record making Bowden the leader again)
5 years probation

WOW
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »
So I'll be like 70 when Penn State has a decent football team again, if ever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
That's not as crippling as I thought it would be.

The fine, the vacated wins, and probation don't really mean anything. 

USC lost postseason play for 2 years and lost 30 scholarships over a 3 year period, and the year they start getting it all back, they're favored to compete in the national championship.  Penn State obviously will have a more difficult time overcoming the stigma of being the school that housed child rape, but as for sanctions, this isn't impossible to endure by any means.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
So I'll be like 70 when Penn State has a decent football team again, if ever.

When's the last time they were actually good? 199-something? They get propped up like Notre Dame and Bammer minus the Saban era.

Pfft...Penn State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

USC lost postseason play for 2 years and lost 30 scholarships over a 3 year period, and the year they start getting it all back, they're favored to compete in the national championship.  Penn State obviously will have a more difficult time overcoming the stigma of being the school that housed child rape, but as for sanctions, this isn't impossible to endure by any means.

PSU benefits from not having rivals out to get them like SMU did (Texas and Oklahoma). If Ohio State could have said anything, they would have but they have their own sketchy recent run to get over so  they kept the trap shut and monitored Urban's heart health.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »

Balderdash.  That's a fucking hammer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »

Zak Lee.

USC and PSU aren't even comparable. And as of late, USC was a much healthier program. They have California to themselves with boocoodles of talent to choose from. These two situations aren't even close to the same. 4 years of no bowls or postseason?? Holy shit. That will affect their current roster and recruiting (which already wasn't good).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »

I am glad you think a 60 million dollar fine means nothing. That's their one year revenue - that number was picked for a reason. And even for PSU (a money rich school), thats a hefty price for just a "fine".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
I am glad you think a 60 million dollar fine means nothing. That's their one year revenue - that number was picked for a reason. And even for PSU (a money rich school), thats a hefty price for just a "fine".

And of course that doesn't even count the amounts that are going to be settled on with the civil suits. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »

My point was that Penn State definitely isn't finished off for good.  The "source" yesterday said it would have been better for Penn State to receive the death penalty.

They're still on TV.  They can still bring in 65 scholarship players in four years.  They can still play next season.  In two years, they can recruit Pennsylvania players that always dreamed of playing at Penn State.  They can promise them that they'll be the lifeblood of the program's future. Their names will be on the wall.  They will play in the school's first bowl game since sanctions. 

Now I did just read that players can transfer immediately without sitting out a year.  That may cripple them more immediately if many take off.  Also, it looks like Delaney is going to announce his own penalties in a few hours. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:18:14 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »
USC and PSU aren't even comparable. And as of late, USC was a much healthier program. They have California to themselves with boocoodles of talent to choose from. These two situations aren't even close to the same.

That's not germane to the conversation.  The penalties aren't much different.  The NCAA can't decide on penalties based on how good a football team is supposed to be. 

1.2 billion dollar endowment and plenty of booster money to contribute.  It sucks for them, but $60 million, as I said before, doesn't do anything to their on the field performance.

Since they don't have to pay for 40 scholarhips, can they use that money to help pay the fine? 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:18:57 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
That's not germane to the conversation.  The penalties aren't much different.  The NCAA can't decide on penalties based on how good a football team is supposed to be. 

The got damn Germans ain't got nuthin' to do with it!

Sumbitch
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
In much more important news, Auburn is now 12th in all time NCAA wins. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »

1.2 billion dollar endowment and plenty of booster money to contribute.  It sucks for them, but $60 million, as I said before, doesn't do anything to their on the field performance.

Since they don't have to pay for 40 scholarhips, can they use that money to help pay the fine?

1. The endowment won't be 1.2  billion after this year.

2. An endowment doesn't just go to sports. And it isn't just "pure profit" that can be squandered. PSU is a big research institute that has a lot of costs.

My guess is this money will come from various sources including some from the AD. And as Sani said, lots of civil litigation is on going. Accts Payable will be busy in the next year.

Point is, the AD runs on a budget and this will affect it tremendously - especially since the AD will not be generating as much revenue the next 4 years. 4 years of no bowls/postseason is killer. Try recruiting to Penn State right now. What is your selling point? This doesn't include other coaches' negative recruiting. THIS is bad if you are Penn State. No two ways about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE