Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Penn State sanction preditions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Penn State sanction preditions
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
Still say the napalm was the Attorney General's to deploy.  This is a slippery slope to allow the rat bastards at the NCAA to have more power. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
That's not germane to the conversation.  The penalties aren't much different.  The NCAA can't decide on penalties based on how good a football team is supposed to be. 

Didn't say they handed them down in that manner. The outcomes will be different because PSU and USC are in totally different situations. Plus the penalties just weren't as harsh on USC. Ive never seen a team get a 4 year post season ban. I think it happened in the 50's or 60's maybe. This is much more crippling to a program that was already unstable like a Penn State. Not so much for USC which is a freight train the last decade (other than a few blips).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
From EDSBS:  They get it:

Mark Emmert will announce the sudden, unprecedented, and immediate penalties against Penn State this morning, something that will fix everything, rectify every wrong done by college athletics, and certainly not lead to more dictatorial stupidity from an organization whose first job is running a billion dollar basketball tournament, and whose second responsibility is preserving an arcane code designed to prevent people from being properly paid for their work.

Updated:

What would I have the NCAA do here? Absolutely shit-nothing. After all, it's what they do most of the time. Ideally, I'd like them to evaporate overnight, and simply cease to exist. That will not happen, so I would instead like them to admit what they're doing: stabbing a corpse, and then demanding some public recognition of their ersatz bravery. I would like them to admit they are seizing a horrific moment in time to advance their own fartgassy agenda, and then demanding credit for it. They will burn an effigy after the courts have already done the hard work of humanity.

They will not do any of this. The NCAA's punishments serve no purpose, solve no problems, and prevent nothing. They represent an organization desperate for relevance seizing the moment to poach some kind of sinister power-up from this moment. They will -- and did -- suggest the "children" are the reason for the reach, and do so without openly guffawing or flinching from the shame a normal, moral person would feel at that moment. They will use the word "culture" to defend what they do, mostly because using that word allows you to make up whatever you like without evidence, justification, or data.
Most importantly, they will give everyone the important reminder that if you know a pedophile, you should probably alert the police and stop evil and stuff. They will then nuke Penn State football and people who had nothing to do with this off the map. Congratulations, albeit theatrically grim ones, will be shared between principals in the case.

Having solved one of the most fundamental flaws in humanity in a morning's work, Mark Emmert will then leave the stage, and go back to a giant building in Indianapolis paid for by unpaid athletes and collect his massive salary. He may have lunch, and then perhaps invent an appropriately colored ribbon or bracelet for the occasion. It would be a hollow gesture, but a fitting conclusion. Hollow people love hollow gestures.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:13:31 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
and the hits keep coming....

Big Ten adds $13M penalty to Penn State; charities will receive bowl revenue
By The Detroit News

The Big Ten has followed the NCAA's fine of $60 million against Penn State with a financial penalty of approximately $13 million, the conference announced Monday.

That is roughly what the school would have received in shared bowl revenue during the next four years, when it is ineligible for postseason play.

The Big Ten said it will instead donate $13 million to charitable organizations in Big Ten communities dedicated to the protection of children.

The Big Ten also said it would be "a party to" the NCAA-imposed five-year probation of Penn State football and "will work closely with the NCAA and Penn State to ensure complete compliance."

Censure also is part of the Big Ten's response to the findings in the Freeh Report:

"The accepted findings support the conclusion that our colleagues at Penn State, individuals that we have known and with whom we have worked for many years, have egregiously failed on many levels — morally, ethically and potentially criminally," the Big Ten said in a prepared statement."They have failed their great university, their faculty and staff, their students and alumni, their community and state — and they have failed their fellow member institutions in the Big Ten Conference. For these failures, committed at the highest level of the institution, we hereby condemn this conduct and officially censure Penn State."

Penn State will not be eligible to play in the Big Ten championship game for four years, a component of its postseason ban.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
13 million over four years?  Didn't we make that this year alone?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
That's not germane to the conversation.  The penalties aren't much different.  The NCAA can't decide on penalties based on how good a football team is supposed to be. 

1.2 billion dollar endowment and plenty of booster money to contribute.  It sucks for them, but $60 million, as I said before, doesn't do anything to their on the field performance.

Since they don't have to pay for 40 scholarhips, can they use that money to help pay the fine?

You're nuts if you think this won't have an effect on them on the field.  We don't even yet know the fallout as far as players transferring out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

When they can decide on penalties based on no violation of their own bylaws, they can decide based on how good a program is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
Bryant becomes the winningest coach without an asterisk.

Bammers celebrating. Obvious this is their motivation for "justice" at Penn St. And why they're celebrating now.

Edit: Bowden's still #1 by my account. Saw that on Twitter, but don't know where that came from. Did Bowden ever vacate any wins?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:37:59 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
Bryant becomes the winningest coach without an asterisk.

Bammers celebrating. Obvious this is their motivation for "justice" at Penn St. And why they're celebrating now.

Did they take away Bowden's wins too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
Did they take away Bowden's wins too?
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/227420077908193282

Winningest without an asterisk. at first he said Beamer & someone asked what Bryant's asterisk was.

@dennisdoddcbs: Correction: Bear Bryant becomes (again) the Division I wins leader without an asterisk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/227420077908193282

Winningest without an asterisk. at first he said Beamer & someone asked what Bryant's asterisk was.

Just watching sportscenter, and they showed the new list of all time winningest coaches, and Bowden topped the D1 list, and they didn't mention any asterisk, nor was there one next to his name.  Some folks still claim there's one next to the 2010 BCS champion...does it really fucking matter? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »
Eddie Robinson gets no love?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
Oh, and to finalize my official for what it's worth take on the NCAA and PSU...if the NCAA chose to act unilaterally and without jurisdiction, which they did, and Emmert pretty much said they did, they should have fucking issued a 3 or 4 year death penalty.  Let PSU learn to be an ethical institution of higher learning without the distraction of football for a while. 

Oh, and taking away wins from a dead coach for something that had nothing to do with a gaining a competitive advantage is fucking stupid, but totally expected. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Eddie Robinson gets no love?

Do they actually play real football in D2 or D3?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
Do they actually play real football in D2 or D3?

In the '60's when Grambling was getting the top black athletes from the south and sending most of his senior class to the NFL every year it would have been like Auburn playing D3 schools week in and week out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
As seen on another board.

In 2010 Penn State played Ohio State in a game both sides have now vacated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
You're nuts if you think this won't have an effect on them on the field.  We don't even yet know the fallout as far as players transferring out.

Please explain how $60 million to charity affects them on the field. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
Oh, and to finalize my official for what it's worth take on the NCAA and PSU...if the NCAA chose to act unilaterally and without jurisdiction, which they did, and Emmert pretty much said they did, they should have fucking issued a 3 or 4 year death penalty.  Let PSU learn to be an ethical institution of higher learning without the distraction of football for a while. 

Oh, and taking away wins from a dead coach for something that had nothing to do with a gaining a competitive advantage is fucking stupid, but totally expected.

That's what I said in the other thread.  This is by no means any where near as crippling as I was expecting. 

Cue more tired "You really don't think this nukes their program to hell?!?!" rebuttals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
That's what I said in the other thread.  This is by no means any where near as crippling as I was expecting. 

Cue more tired "You really don't think this nukes their program to hell?!?!" rebuttals.

You're the only one I've heard that doesn't think it's devastating to them on the field.  It's not the death penalty, but they're a sub .500 program for the next 8-10 years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
You're the only one I've heard that doesn't think it's devastating to them on the field. 

I never said that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions