Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Penn State sanction preditions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Penn State sanction preditions
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Allowing players to get out now is as devastating as anything for the short term. They weren't that good in the first place but I would imagine a lot of their top talent is considering all available options.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
I never said that.

Then clarify, or point me to what you did say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
Allowing players to get out now is as devastating as anything for the short term. They weren't that good in the first place but I would imagine a lot of their top talent is considering all available options.

I would think Jr and Sr players would stay.  Underclassmen, I can see a lot of them getting out, as well as the 2012 signing class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Then clarify, or point me to what you did say.

I didn't realize Godfather deleted old comments as new ones were posted. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »

Sneaky bastard, that Godfather
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
Please explain how $60 million to charity affects them on the field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

:fu:

Most all comments I've read and heard believe that short of the death penalty, this is as severe a punishment as could be handed down.  This will be felt far beyond the 4 years involved, and that doesn't count the general disgust many will have with the name Penn St.  They may not fully recover for over 10 years.  In addition to the imposed fines, their revenues will be severely impacted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
:fu:

Most all comments I've read and heard believe that short of the death penalty, this is as severe a punishment as could be handed down.  This will be felt far beyond the 4 years involved, and that doesn't count the general disgust many will have with the name Penn St.  They may not fully recover for over 10 years.  In addition to the imposed fines, their revenues will be severely impacted.

So they can recover?  Like I said?

Further, a lot of hyperbolic reaction to USC's sanctions said they were done too at least for a while.  While Penn State and USC are much different programs, the level of sanctions levied on Penn State does not kill their program.  Not by any means.  However, what was reported yesterday was that the sanctions were "unprecedented."  The sanctions would be worse than the death penalty and Penn State was finished.

The sanctions announced today?  No where near as bad as what I was expecting.  And that's been my whole point. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

Yep.  100%.  How does $60 million to charity affect them on the field?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
From EDSBS:  They get it:

Updated:

While I see your point TW, that post by EDSBS is more full of rhetoric than Barack Obama 2012.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
So they can recover?  Like I said?

Further, a lot of hyperbolic reaction to USC's sanctions said they were done too at least for a while.  While Penn State and USC are much different programs, the level of sanctions levied on Penn State does not kill their program.  Not by any means.  However, what was reported yesterday was that the sanctions were "unprecedented."  The sanctions would be worse than the death penalty and Penn State was finished.

The sanctions announced today?  No where near as bad as what I was expecting.  And that's been my whole point.

So, you were expecting Emmert to exceed his and the NCAA's authority to the point he wiped the PSU off the face of the college football map?  The whole reason PSU consented to these sanctions is because Emmert HAD to get them to do that because he, nor the NCAA had the actual authority to do this. He got the consent because he asked for it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
So, you were expecting Emmert to exceed his and the NCAA's authority to the point he wiped the PSU off the face of the college football map? 

Yep.

However, what was reported yesterday was that the sanctions were "unprecedented."  The sanctions would be worse than the death penalty and Penn State was finished.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
Yep.

Again, you're the only one that thinks this isn't just as bad from the standpoint of their future.  Yeah, they get to play football, they'll suck at it for the next 10-15 years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
They didn't give the death penalty because PSU wouldn't consent to that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
Yep.

My only point to you was that this will not have the same effect it did on USC. It will be much worse because of various reasons. Besides USC's punishment wasn't as severe anyway. We knew they would be hurting for a year maybe. USC was stockpiled on talent. Plus there is the ripple effect from this one....kids xfering, civil suits, nature of the crime, etc. USC paying Reggie Bush really doesn't dissuade a parent from sending a kid to USC. A Penn State coach molesting kids and the entire admin trying to cover it up? Damn right a parent will think twice about sending their kid to PSU...or letting them remain if they are a current player. This will have a much bigger effect than USC.

Remember too, every year of a penalty compounds everything. It gets worse. That extra year of scholly losses vs USC is actually a big deal. 4 years of scholly losses and 4 years of no post season. That is brutal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Yep.  100%.  How does $60 million to charity affect them on the field?

Ummm.....b/c that is $60 million dollars less that they have to use for teh fooseball?   That is one year of their revenue.  That new equipment for the weight room, those stadium upgrades, that recruiting budget, those programs that rely soley on the football team to exist.......yeah that money will have to come elsewhere or the new equipment, stadium upgrades....etc...etc...etc that bedazzle recruits will have to be put on hold to pay for those other athletic programs.  The money can't be paid by taking away from other revenue sports and can't be taken away from the money on hand b/c of the loss of scholarships. 

Where is that $60 million going to come from?  The endowment goes to more than just athletics. Go read their message boards, go back and watch footage of when they fired Joe Pa and see how many were pissed.   I would bet that those big money boosters who have donated all that money over the years to Joe Pa's teams will not be as willing to donate as much as they used to.  They are either still pissed or they don't want their good names associated with a program that harbored a known child molester.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
Ummm.....b/c that is $60 million dollars less that they have to use for teh fooseball?   That is one year of their revenue.  That new equipment for the weight room, those stadium upgrades, that recruiting budget, those programs that rely soley on the football team to exist.......yeah that money will have to come elsewhere or the new equipment, stadium upgrades....etc...etc...etc that bedazzle recruits will have to be put on hold to pay for those other athletic programs.  The money can't be paid by taking away from other revenue sports and can't be taken away from the money on hand b/c of the loss of scholarships. 

Where is that $60 million going to come from?  The endowment goes to more than just athletics. Go read their message boards, go back and watch footage of when they fired Joe Pa and see how many were pissed.   I would bet that those big money boosters who have donated all that money over the years to Joe Pa's teams will not be as willing to donate as much as they used to.  They are either still pissed or they don't want their good names associated with a program that harbored a known child molester.

It also doesn't factor in the loss of revenue this will cause.  BTW $60Mill is one years profit against $100Mil in revenue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
It also doesn't factor in the loss of revenue this will cause.  BTW $60Mill is one years profit against $100Mil in revenue.

Ive already said this many times. There is a huge ripple effect here.

BTW Penn State had 70 million in revenue last calender year and 50 million in Profit. This is the entire athletic dept's PROFIT. The fine is 10 million more than the AD profited last year. So no, will have no impact on their football program at all. (sarcasm intended)

Penn State Univ. (Football)    $70,208,584    $19,780,939    $50,427,645
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
Ive already said this many times. There is a huge ripple effect here.

BTW Penn State had 70 million in revenue last calender year and 50 million in Profit. This is the entire athletic dept's PROFIT. The fine is 10 million more than the AD profited last year. So no, will have no impact on their football program at all. (sarcasm intended)

Penn State Univ. (Football)    $70,208,584    $19,780,939    $50,427,645

Watching ESPN this morning, they reported them with $100mil in revenue. So that was the number I used. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
Watching ESPN this morning, they reported them with $100mil in revenue. So that was the number I used.

Was that the graphic with TX, ND and PSU numbers?

If so, the numbers were "value of the football team" and "football profit".

I assume there is more in the "value" calculation than just simple revenue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.