Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

And the #1 answer for "The most terrible Fucking Coaching Decision Ever..."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Goes to Gus Malzahn...Seriously, What the fuck?  Houston Nutt II...

AUBURN, Alabama --  Gus Malzahn is stepping down as Auburn's offensive coordinator to return to his home state to become the head coach at Arkansas State.

Malzahn, who made $1.3 million a year at Auburn, is expected to earn around $850,000 a year with his new school, according to people familiar with the hiring. Malzahn will  replace Hugh Freeze, who was named Ole Miss' head coach last week.

A press conference to announce the hiring is set for 3:30 p.m. Wednesday  to "announce its new head coach," according to the school, which invited fans to attend.

It wasn't immediately known if he'll stay with Auburn as the Tigers prepare for the Chick-fil-A Bowl on New Year's Eve.

Malzahn was a high school coaching legend in Arkansas before getting into the college game as Arkansas' offensive coordinator in 2006. He then put together two dominating offensive seasons at Tulsa in 2007 and 2008 before joining coach Gene Chizik's staff at Auburn for the 2009 season.

The Tigers set a school record for touchdown passes in his first season, then rewrote just about every school record for offense with Cam Newton at quarterback on the way to the national championship last year.

Malzahn won the Frank Broyles Award as the top college assistant coach in the country in 2010.

Auburn struggled offensively this season, however, with a new offensive line and quarterbacks, and stands at 104th in the nation in total offense heading to its Chick-fil-A Bowl game against Virginia on New Year's Eve.

Auburn is already without a defensive coordinator. Ted Roof left for Central Florida last week.

Malzahn was a hot commodity after the 2010 season, but passed on head coaching opportunities at Maryland and Vanderbilt. He signed a new contract that paid $1.3 million annually, making him the highest paid coordinator in the nation.

Chizik hired Malzahn only weeks after taking over as Auburn's new coach in December of 2008.

Prior to joining Chizik's staff, Malzahn spent two seasons at Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane had the top-ranked offense in 2007 and No. 2 overall in 2008.

Malzahn was a well-respected high school coach in Arkansas before entering the college ranks. His five-year tenure at Springdale High culminated in undefeated state championship season in 2005. His prospect-loaded team helped him land the offensive coordinator job at Arkansas under Houston Nutt after the season.

The Razorbacks won 10 games in 2006, Malzahn's first and only season with the team, but he wasn't always on the same page with Nutt and his coaching staff.

A Fort Smith, Ark., native, Malzahn played two years at Arkansas and two years at Henderson State, where he earned his degree.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/12/gus_malzahn_leaving_auburn_to.html

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:33:39 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
So. 

Cattle or hats.  What's left?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

So. 

chizik's firing after next season...after we go 3-9. 

all in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
 :hammer:

:staytuned:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
So. 

You must be a high jumper from all the side swapping...

but seriously though?  Arkansas State for a $450,000 pay cut.  What a retard.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:58:13 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X

Strange indeed.

And the hits keep coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!

?

Not swapping sides.  Just asking a question.  No panic here.  No worry, really. 

What they did in 2010 when everybody seemed on the same page was pretty amazing.  Never seen any AU team withstand that kind of assault from all sides. 

The adversity this season seemed to impact everybody in a much different way.  Didn't see the same pulling together, the same unity. 

Don't think coaching staffs are meant to stay together forever. Egos won't allow it no matter how much somebody is making.   When things start to fray, it's time for a change.   

Tuberville knew that.  He made some bad hires and he made some great ones.  His success as a head coach was directly tied to the capability of his assistants.  That's who he was. 

Other head coaches are different in that assistants are plug and play and it doesn't really matter who's there.  Dye, for instance.  His teams were pretty much the same no matter what scheme was being run on offense or defense.  Same with Saban, unfortunately. 

Now we get to see what Chizik's made of.  Be interesting to see if he turns out to be a guy who waxes and wanes with his assistants or if he can be THE guy and the assistants fade into the background.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
$850,000 plus a new home in a gated community on the Jonesboro Country Club golf course ($550,000-$950,000 home).

Here's my thoughts on the matter and no it's not a dumb move by Coach Malzahn.

The Red Wolves now former HC, Hugh Freeze, will be the Black Bears of Ole Miss' new HC in 2012.

IMO, Coach Malzahn should start there if he's looking to become a HC anywhere. You gotta start somewhere and it's better to not get in over your head in your first head coaching gig.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:28:47 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

chizik's firing after next season...after we go 3-9. 

all in.

InbeforeJRmocksyouforthinkingtheskyisfalling
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

How they want you to feel:

schadjoe Joe Schad
Told Malzahn willing to take the pay cut for chance to be happier and enjoy new situation

ClayTravisBGID Clay Travis
This could be true. Mess on Plains. RT @RockyTopGA: Trooper Taylor will leave #Auburn if they don't make him OC. Book it.

YahooForde Pat Forde
Makes you wonder. RT @KevinScarbinsky Malzahn to Arkansas State, Roof to Central Florida. Two BCS championship coordinators. Ponder that.

ClayTravisBGID Clay Travis
For the people who think Malzahn move wouldn't be odd, how many of you would take a "promotion" and lose 60% of your salary?

jimdunaway Jim Dunaway
Gus Malzahn was the toast of College Football 365 days ago, tonight he's a head coach at Arkansas St. Those dots don't connect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: And the #1 answer for "The most terrible Fucking Coaching Decision Ever..."
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
They're doing anything they can to make this look bad, instead of realizing that Coach Malzahn is only 7 years removed from the HS ranks, with zero college Head Coaching experience. Also, the $850,000 + $450,000 new home (minimum) = 1.3 Million (minimum)...Also, I'm sure that there are stipulations in his contract (win X amount of games, winning conference, going to a bowl, winning the bowl, etc.) that would bump up his pay as the HC.

Nah, fuck that common sense, there's something fishy going on at Auburn. Lets see what Evan Woodbammer has to say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
Let's look at this realistically.   

1) He could have had his pick a year ago but opted to stay.  Maybe he thought he could burnish his resume and get traction for jobs like Ohio State, Penn State, etc.
2) This is the first time he's ever been in a place (other than HS) for more than two years.  For whatever reason -- and the reasons were many -- his offense absolutely shit the bed this year.  It was completely dysfunctional.  Other coaches running similar attacks with similar (or less) talent were far more successful than he was.
3) He could sense his star beginning to fade.  Another abysmal season and he wouldn't get consideration from even Arkansas State.  Then what does he do?
4) Norm Chow.  Waited too long.  Never got the opportunity anywhere.
5) Pay cut?  If you sense that you've reached a stagnation level where you are (and maybe he had) isn't it better to move to a new situation even if the pay is a little less? Better to start fresh with a clean slate and lowered expectations. Plus he was making more as OC than the majority of head coaches.  Unless he had taken a high profile job (and it became apparent that those were unlikely to be offered) he was going to take a cut no matter where he went.
6) Urban Meyer.  Jim Tressell. Nick Saban.  All started at small colleges where they learned the ropes and then stepped up the ladder.  It's the right path of succession.  How often do you see hot coordinators bite off more than they can chew and flame the fuck completely out? 

The only thing that pisses me off is the reaction.  Alabama's OC leaves for a shit job.  Colorado State Tech?  Bottom of the barrel.  Of course he got a raise, he was making about 3/8ths what Malzahn made.  Where are the Bama beat writers questioning the move?  Where are the interviews with the players he recruited?  Where's the mocking from the media? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

there's something fishy going on at Auburn.

Rats jumping ship!  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
InbeforeJRmocksyouforthinkingtheskyisfalling

It is falling, and for one reason.  Most Auburn people think so.   Sadly, whether they admit it or not, most Auburn people buy the constant "little brother" shit pumped out of WJOX and the papers around the state.  They believe no coach really wants to be at Auburn, they're simply relegated there until they can find a way out.  They believe Roof bailed to UCF, not that he was told by Chiz a few weeks back "Find another gig, I've got to make a change". 

I wouldn't have hired Gus at a major BCS program, but not for the same reason many of you wouldn't.  I don't give a shit about the performance of the offense this season.  I know why it was, and it was no surprise, except maybe for Trotter.  Gus hasn't been in the college ranks very long.  Running a major program isn't like running an offense.  Gus doesn't have near the experience I'd want, even from an OC. 

Ark. State?  Good move, and like this season at Auburn, not unexpected.  It's a perfect place for him to prove he has the HC skills.  You can win there. 

If I were Gus, I'd give Auburn folks the big  :fu:  No appreciation or any credit for anything accomplished, none.  All the good players?  They came that way.  The ones that didn't or haven't yet stepped up?  All his fault for not tutoring or developing them.  Idiotic, and sad, but that's the way it is.

I just hope we go I formation, it's the only real football there is.  And at least Auburn people will feel better if we go 7-5 running "The I formation".     
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:44:03 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
So what will be said when Auburn makes some big hires to replace those that left?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
So what will be said when Auburn makes some big hires to replace those that left?

Same thing they said before...Chiz can't coach, he has to hire it done.  Many Auburn folks will buy in to that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 09:27:30 AM »
I would never take a promotion for a 50% pay cut. NEVER.

Vandy handed him over a million last year and he said no. This just bewilders me.

Any candidates on a replacement? Chow maybe? Borges?  Bueller......bueller.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
It's amazing how many people think they're in the know.  Yes, I'm surprised it was Arky State simply because I saw him getting a bigger gig.  However, wasn't it also widely speculeted that he hurt himself tremendously with the way the offense was run this year?  There's no question he did some bonehead stuff in 2011.  Why would a North Carolina or Texas A&M etc. now take a chance on a guy with no HC experience coming off a less than stellar season as OC?

If a fat house is thrown in, yes, it's comparable to his Auburn salary...he's close to home...he's getting HC experience and it may be a longer term contract than what he had at Auburn.  Not trying to sugar coat it here but this is not something that signals the sky is falling.  As for the recruiting deal, the recruits can read too...hopefully.  Not exactly a secret he was interviewing and trying to land his own HC gig. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
It's amazing how many people think they're in the know.  Yes, I'm surprised it was Arky State simply because I saw him getting a bigger gig.  However, wasn't it also widely speculeted that he hurt himself tremendously with the way the offense was run this year?  There's no question he did some bonehead stuff in 2011.  Why would a North Carolina or Texas A&M etc. now take a chance on a guy with no HC experience coming off a less than stellar season as OC?

If a fat house is thrown in, yes, it's comparable to his Auburn salary...he's close to home...he's getting HC experience and it may be a longer term contract than what he had at Auburn.  Not trying to sugar coat it here but this is not something that signals the sky is falling.  As for the recruiting deal, the recruits can read too...hopefully.  Not exactly a secret he was interviewing and trying to land his own HC gig.

Most HCs get a house much like a preacher with a parsonage. He would have gotten that at a lot of places.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
Does anyone else think the OC from Baylor would be a good hire for Auburn?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions