Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Aggies notify Big 12 they intend to ‘explore options’ on league front

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Aggies notify Big 12 they intend to ‘explore options’ on league front
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/09/texas-a38m-accepts-southeastern-conference-with-condition/1

Supposedly Baylor is gonna try to sue to impeded it.

Southeastern Conference accepts Texas A&M with condition   
By Thomas O'Toole, USA TODAY

It's official -- almost. An anticipated rubber-stamp vote by Southeastern Conference presidents to accept Texas A&M as a member turned into conditional approval late Tuesday night when word surfaced of possible legal action by a Big 12 member.

In a statement released Wednesday morning, the league said it unanimously approved A&M's application but under the condition that the remaining Big 12 schools offer no roadblocks to the Aggies departure.

The SEC release said it was assured in a Sept. 2 letter that all Big 12 schools condoned the A&M move. But then on Tuesday, the SEC said it found out one Big 12 school had withdrawn its approval, leaving the SEC to say the Aggies would be approved "upon receiving acceptable reconfirmation that the Big 12 and its members have reaffirmed the letter dated September 2, 2011."

The SEC did not name the school. The Dallas Morning News reported that Big 12 member Baylor was considering some sort of legal action.

The statement from Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen, chair of the SEC's presidents and chancellors:

"After receiving unanimous written assurance from the Big 12 on September 2 that the Southeastern Conference was free to accept Texas A&M to join as a new member, the presidents and chancellors of the SEC met last night with the intention of accepting the application of Texas A&M to be the newest member of the SEC. We were notified yesterday afternoon that at least one Big 12 institution had withdrawn its previous consent and was considering legal action. The SEC has stated that to consider an institution for membership, there must be no contractual hindrances to its departure. The SEC voted unanimously to accept Texas A&M University as a member upon receiving acceptable reconfirmation that the Big 12 and its members have reaffirmed the letter dated September 2, 2011."

The announcement keeps a three-month chapter alive in the ongoing drama of major conference realignment. And there could be more to come. Assuming the A&M situation is settled, it would give the SEC 13 teams and an unbalance in its two-division format. It would seem the league would add a 14th at some point. So far, the league has said it is in no hurry on further expansion. Schools in the region who would seem attractive choices, like Clemson and Virginia Tech, have insisted they re staying in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Florida State, another ACC member, has only said it is happy in the league and has had no talks with the SEC.

Missouri has been mentioned as a possible addition. It would give Arkansas a relatively close opponent and allow the SEC to expand into the Kansas City and St. Louis markets, much like A&M takes the league into the talent-rich state of Texas. But so far Missouri has said it would remain in the Big 12. The other question, though, is whether the Big 12 will survive. Oklahoma president David Boren said last week the school will soon decide if it will leave, likely for the Pac-12, and Oklahoma State would be expected to follow.

A&M has been a member of the Big 12 since it combined members of the Southwest and Big Eight conferences in the mid-1990s. Last year, Nebraska and Colorado left. A&M's departure leaves the league with nine teams. The Salt Lake Tribune reported recently that Big 12 officials have talked with Brigham Young, which is playing this year as an independent in football with other sports in the West Coast Conference.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:52:07 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
Will Baylor be using the services of Glennon Threatt?

Hellz yeeeeah!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
I mean, he apparently likes to represent highly unpopular lost causes that involve college football and all, so I figured he's their guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Sounds like the Big 12 called aTm's bluff.......but they weren't bluffing. Now the Big 12 has to scramble and call in some favors. If Oklahoma does in fact leave as well, that's it for the Big 12. Game over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
So this draws in the TX TV market. The SEC's TV deal is up for renegotiation, correct? 

Who would be the second team to join and if it's someone like a Mizzou, does this mean that the conference divisions are going to be realigned? 

If you take A&M and say a GT you place one in the West and the other in the East and it stays the same.  You take two teams from out West then you either have to realign the divisions or take two other teams for the East.  Right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »
So this draws in the TX TV market. The SEC's TV deal is up for renegotiation, correct? 

Who would be the second team to join and if it's someone like a Mizzou, does this mean that the conference divisions are going to be realigned? 

If you take A&M and say a GT you place one in the West and the other in the East and it stays the same.  You take two teams from out West then you either have to realign the divisions or take two other teams for the East.  Right?

I would imagine any realignment would send us to the East.  After all the discussion on the reasons for A&M and the TV market, I get it.  There has to be a team that makes more sense geographically and who will hit just as big a market as Mizzou.  I want them about as much as I'd want to see Middle Tennessee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
I would imagine any realignment would send us to the East.  After all the discussion on the reasons for A&M and the TV market, I get it.  There has to be a team that makes more sense geographically and who will hit just as big a market as Mizzou.  I want them about as much as I'd want to see Middle Tennessee.
Agreed. Mizzou is a shit choice.

I think I'd like to see VT. Supposedly in this agreement that went down yesterday, Georgia vetoed GT, UF vetoed FSU, Kentucky vetoed Louisville, and South Carolina vetoed Clemson. Could just be rumors, but I read it on Twitter or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Agreed. Mizzou is a shit choice.

I think I'd like to see VT. Supposedly in this agreement that went down yesterday, Georgia vetoed GT, UF vetoed FSU, Kentucky vetoed Louisville, and South Carolina vetoed Clemson. Could just be rumors, but I read it on Twitter or something.

Can we veto Bama and send them to Conference USA?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:47 PM »
My problem with this is the possibility of realignment.  If we move to the east then bama is our tie in game and then we start to rotate LSU, MSU, ARK....etc...etc.. in an out every two years.  That is if they go with 14 teams.  Now if they go get two teams from the west and two from the east and we get 16 teams then everyone else will follow suit and we will have what, 4 super conferences?  Not excited about that at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
My problem with this is the possibility of realignment.  If we move to the east then bama is our tie in game and then we start to rotate LSU, MSU, ARK....etc...etc.. in an out every two years.  That is if they go with 14 teams.  Now if they go get two teams from the west and two from the east and we get 16 teams then everyone else will follow suit and we will have what, 4 super conferences?  Not excited about that at all.

When we went to two divisions, I'd have preferred the east to maintain the UF and UGA rivalries.  LSU wasn't that big a rivalry then, at least not in my mind.  However, it is now.  That said, I don't think they're going to realign the current SEC teams. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
When we went to two divisions, I'd have preferred the east to maintain the UF and UGA rivalries.  LSU wasn't that big a rivalry then, at least not in my mind.  However, it is now.  That said, I don't think they're going to realign the current SEC teams.

True, back in the day we played UT, UF, UGA and bammer every year with LSU about every two or three years it seemed.  Those were some damn good football days.  The reason I would hate to lose LSU is b/c I hate them almost as bad as bammer.  To me it's bammer, LSU and then everyone else.  I like what that rivalry has become in recent years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
True, back in the day we played UT, UF, UGA and bammer every year with LSU about every two or three years it seemed.  Those were some damn good football days.  The reason I would hate to lose LSU is b/c I hate them almost as bad as bammer.  To me it's bammer, LSU and then everyone else.  I like what that rivalry has become in recent years.

I meant to include UT in with UGA and UF.  Loved that early season big game.  But I agree, I'd hate to lose the LSU game every year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
Can we veto Bama and send them to Conference USA?

I know Vito...well, I KNEW Vito. Good guy. Until he decided to suck dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
Done deal according to.....Joe Schad.  So I put the chances of it happening at around 10-12%.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Done deal according to.....Joe Schad.  So I put the chances of it happening at around 10-12%.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move

10-12% is a little high for Schad. I'd say more like 1-2%.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
Back from lunch.  Gonna' grab a magazine and go take a huge Schad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Back from lunch.  Gonna' grab a magazine and go take a huge Schad.

Come to think of it I have a Thayer playing peek-a-boo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Come to think of it I have a Thayer playing peek-a-boo.

Thayer be prarie doggin'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
If we move to the east then bama is our tie in game and then we start to rotate LSU, MSU, ARK....etc...etc..

But then Bama would lose it's UT game.  Token, RWS, how would you feel about that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions