Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Aggies notify Big 12 they intend to ‘explore options’ on league front

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
There is no secret that the major conferences are looking to become these super conferences. It's gonna happen, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

There is no secret that the major conferences are looking to become these super conferences. It's gonna happen, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Just like when the SEC expanded taking in SC and Ark...you'll get used to it, and it will soon seem normal. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Just like when the SEC expanded taking in SC and Ark...you'll get used to it, and it will soon seem normal. 
Before Spurrier got to SC and got them deccent, I could have cared less if they had left. Arky I like. But SC, I could still not give a rat's ass about. I would be the same way about Aggie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

Before Spurrier got to SC and got them deccent, I could have cared less if they had left. Arky I like. But SC, I could still not give a rat's ass about. I would be the same way about Aggie.

Aggie is coming, my only question is who is coming with them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Texas-AM-reportedly-notifies-Big-12-it-will-withdraw-082911?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Texas A&M reportedly will leave Big 12

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP)

Texas A&M has notified the Big 12 it will withdraw from the conference, according to a newspaper report.

The New York Times said in a story posted on its website Monday night that Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin sent a letter to Missouri Chancellor and Big 12 board chairman Brady Deaton to inform the league it was leaving. The report cited two unidentified college officials with direct knowledge of the decision.

University spokesman Jason Cook did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment late Monday night.

Texas A&M's departure would cast doubt on the future of the Big 12 and could lead to more major changes to college athletics.

The university said earlier Monday it had received a letter from Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe outlining the withdrawal procedure should the Aggies decide to leave the league.

Cook said the letter ''outlines the withdrawal procedures according to the financial provisions of the Big 12 bylaws and mutual waivers of legal claims.'' He wouldn't provide any other details of the letter or comment on what A&M's next step might be.

The Aggies are interested in joining the Southeastern Conference and the dueling letters come less than a week after they formally told Beebe they are exploring their options and asked for the conference to outline the process if they decide to leave. The league's board of directors addressed the possible departure of the Aggies this weekend.

''I certainly appreciate the discussion among the Big 12 presidents/chancellors and the expression of their desire for Texas A&M to remain in the conference,'' Loftin said in a statement issued before The New York Times report. ''We all agree that Texas A&M is an extremely valuable institution; thus, it is incumbent upon me, as the president of the university, to ensure that we are in a position to enhance our national visibility and future financial opportunity.''

Loftin added this is a ''complex and long-term decision,'' but ''it is not our intent to prolong our conference exploration for an extended period of time.''

The SEC said earlier this month it was happy with its current 12-school membership but left the door open to expansion. Loftin then received authority from the board of regents to take any action he deems necessary in terms of realignment.

There is concern that a departure by the Aggies could jeopardize the future of the Big 12, which is down to 10 teams after Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12) left the league last July. Loftin has said the Aggies would consider how their departure would impact the future of Big 12 before any decision is made.

The Big 12 would need to find a team to replace the Aggies if they exit the conference and there has been a lot of speculation about possible schools. So far, the only school to publicly express interest in moving to the Big 12 is SMU. Athletic director Steve Orsini said he's had informal talks with Big 12 officials for some time to inform them of the school's improvements and growth.

In the letter Loftin sent to the Big 12 last week, he said if the Aggies leave, they would want to do it in a manner that complies with league bylaws. He also has said financial concerns will factor into any decision to leave; the school likely would face an exit fee.

The Big 12, including Texas A&M, agreed to a 13-year television deal with Fox Sports in April worth more than $1 billion. There is a chance the contract could be voided if the Aggies leave the conference, which could lead to legal issues for Texas A&M and its new league.

The Big 12 declined to comment on Monday's letter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
But, but, but...where will they go?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Expansion is going to happen. I don't necessarily like it, but it is. The SEC is trying to be proactive in the markets that they can get. If/when A&M joins, the SEC will have a huge market in Texas. Huge. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio now become marketing areas for the SEC. Hell, Houston itself is the 4th largest city in the US...the market power this could generate would be HUGE.

At this point, even if the SEC doesn't invite any other teams, it stakes our claim to Texas. What we do with the new market at that point is anyone's guess. I for one am excited about the possibility.

And another thing, A&M absolutely does NOT bring the SEC's credibility down. A&M is a HUGE name HUGE. Any type of college football's "tradition" lists have A&M in the Top 20 somewhere if not the Top 10. FSU, Clemson, whoever...will be easy to take in once the Super conferences start aligning. However, A&M and the Texas market would not be if we wait. It is better to be proactive instead of reactive and get left out in the cold.

And I get to watch an away game with only a 3 hour trip...And hear SEC sports talk here locally!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Expansion is going to happen. I don't necessarily like it, but it is. The SEC is trying to be proactive in the markets that they can get. If/when A&M joins, the SEC will have a huge market in Texas. Huge. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio now become marketing areas for the SEC. Hell, Houston itself is the 4th largest city in the US...the market power this could generate would be HUGE.

At this point, even if the SEC doesn't invite any other teams, it stakes our claim to Texas. What we do with the new market at that point is anyone's guess. I for one am excited about the possibility.

And another thing, A&M absolutely does NOT bring the SEC's credibility down. A&M is a HUGE name HUGE. Any type of college football's "tradition" lists have A&M in the Top 20 somewhere if not the Top 10. FSU, Clemson, whoever...will be easy to take in once the Super conferences start aligning. However, A&M and the Texas market would not be if we wait. It is better to be proactive instead of reactive and get left out in the cold.

^^^This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls

And I get to watch an away game with only a 3 hour trip...And hear SEC sports talk here locally!

So, you're saying this is HUGE?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

So, you're saying this is HUGE?

:fu:

I knew that shit was coming after I reread it. I was waiting for that, something about being verbose, or tl;dr.

I make some damn good points though...damnit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

Just saw an article about the Aggs leaving the Big 12. Here are a few stats that were included in the article that proves my point that this could potentially be a good thing for the SEC:

Texas A&M at a glance

* Located in College Station, Texas.
* Home to more than 49,000 students, ranking as the sixth-largest university in the country, with more than 360,000 former students worldwide.
* Holds membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities, one of only 63 institutions with this distinction.
* Has an endowment valued at more than $5 billion, which ranks fourth among U.S. public universities and 10th overall.
* Conducts research valued at more than $630 million annually, placing it among the top 20 universities nationally and third behind only MIT and the University of California at Berkeley for universities without medical schools.
* Recognized as Home of the 12th Man, where students stand during football games to show support for the team ? and for fellow Aggies ? a personification of the Aggie Spirit.
* Corps of Cadets is recognized among the nation's largest uniformed student bodies at more than 2,000 strong. Texas A&M commissions more officers than any other institution outside of the nation's service academies.
* Named second in the nation by The Wall Street Journal among all universities, public and private, in a survey of top U.S. corporations, non-profits and government agencies, based on graduates that recruiters prefer to hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
I think money-wise, it's a good move if your sole intent is to become bigger, better and stronger in the $$$ department.  I hate it but understand the thinking.  Just not a fan of the Faggies and my fear is that we'll wind up with two schools I want the least...A&M and VT.  I fucking HATE Virginia Tech and who on earth was allowed to do shrooms while picking the school colors?  Some shade of purple/maroon/brown whatever and orange....sort of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

I think money-wise, it's a good move if your sole intent is to become bigger, better and stronger in the $$$ department.  I hate it but understand the thinking.  Just not a fan of the Faggies and my fear is that we'll wind up with two schools I want the least...A&M and VT.  I fucking HATE Virginia Tech and who on earth was allowed to do shrooms while picking the school colors?  Some shade of purple/maroon/brown whatever and orange....sort of.

I would be pissed too about VT. I can see the Aggies, but what is the reasoning behind VT? What do they bring?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
I would be pissed too about VT. I can see the Aggies, but what is the reasoning behind VT? What do they bring?

The beltway tv market.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Token

The beltway tv market.

And some kickass special teams play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

And some kickass special teams play.

Goiterball
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Goiterball

Sick humor - Yer doin' it right
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Aggies notify Big 12 they intend to ‘explore options’ on league front
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
The Louisiana State Police had received numerous reports of illegal cockfights being held in the area
around Abbeville and had sent their famous Detective Boudreaux from Thibodeaux to investigate.

Boudreaux promptly began his investigation and then reported to his Commander the next morning.

"Dey is tree main groups involve in dis rooster Fightin", he began.

"Good work! Who are they?" the Commander asked.

Boudreaux replied confidently, "De Texas Aggies, de local Cajuns, and de Mafia from N'awlins".

Puzzled, the Commander asked, "Now Boudreaux, how did you find all that out in one night?"

"Well," he replied, "I went down and done seen dat rooster fight in person. And I knowed immedjiately dat dem Aggies was involved when a Duck was entered in the fight."

The Commander nodded, "I'll buy that. But what about the others?"

Boudreaux nodded knowingly, "Well, I knowed de Cajuns was involved when sum body bet on de duck!"

"Ah, I see, I see....." sighed the sergeant, "And how did you figure the Mafia was involved?"h

"De duck won!"

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
Something that doesn't really mean much but.  The fans travel well and are fun to be around. I have been to a few game in College station, they treat the visiting fans with respect and have a good time.

UT on the other hand is Turd west.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
Something that doesn't really mean much but.  The fans travel well and are fun to be around. I have been to a few game in College station, they treat the visiting fans with respect and have a good time.

UT on the other hand is Turd west.

I have been told that if this does happen, that I need to make a trip to College Station.  The guy told me that it was one of the best atmospheres he has been around. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions