Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Special Season For Auburn?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Special Season For Auburn?
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
The title's a little sensational, cause I don't think a 9 win season is all that "Special", but here goes.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/sec_football_by_the_numbers_we.html
Special season for Auburn?
Published: Friday, September 03, 2010, 5:06 AM

The Press-Register and al.com are counting down the final days (1) until the first Saturday of the college football season on Sept. 4.

If history is any indication, it could be a special season for Auburn.

The Tigers' last three head coaches all won nine games in their second season at AU..

Pat Dye's 1982 team went 9-3 after going 5-6 in his first season; Terry Bowden's 1994 squad followed an 11-0 season with a 9-1-1 record; and Tommy Tuberville's 2000 team went 9-4 and won the SEC West title after going 5-6 the previous year.

Gene Chizik will try to follow or better that trend starting Saturday against Arkansas State. His first team went 8-5 a year ago.

Could the Tigers win more than nine? Maybe. The last two times the team lost five regular-season games (1992 and 2003), the Tigers went undefeated the next year.

This season also marks the 25th anniversary of Auburn's second Heisman Trophy win. Bo Jackson took home the 1985 trophy after rushing for 17 touchdowns and 1,786 yards, an average of 6.4 yards per carry.

He edged Iowa quarterback Chuck Long by 45 points to become the 51st winner. He followed 1971 winner Pat Sullivan into the Auburn record book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Re: Special Season For Auburn?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
The most outrageous thing in that article is that Bo "edged out Chuck Long" by ONLY 45 points.  What the hell were all those voters thinking
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
Cool stats/trends.  I tend to believe this team will be at the 9-10 win range...better if the D steps up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
Cool stats/trends.  I tend to believe this team will be at the 9-10 win range...better if the D steps up.
It's like you're in my head.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
I did read a blurb from Josh Bynes in one of the preseason mags where he said the front four are bigger and stronger than he's seen since he's been at AU.  He was saying he thought that would be the biggest reason for the D being better.  I was noticing that earlier when looking at the updated roster.  We'll be rotating 4 guys in the middle who are all right at or above the 300 pound mark, which we've never had at Auburn.  Also, in seeing these guys up close, they're in some serious shape for being that big.

I have no idea how any of that will translate to a better D or more wins, but anything has to be an improvement over last year.  I can't wait.  A little over 24 hours.  It just moved. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
I don't know, if its all the coke I have been doing, or the fact that it is finally here but I do think we are gonna have a special season.  I say no fewer than 10 wins and our defense is dominating.

Suck on that Snaggle!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:29:47 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
I like the article. I like your prediction Chad.

But I wish we could keep it on the down low more in the media and as fans in general. We do better when not being talked about as much. Call it karma or whatever, but I really wish Herbie had not picked us to win the West. I'd rather not be talked about and fly under the radar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
I like the article. I like your prediction Chad.

But I wish we could keep it on the down low more in the media and as fans in general. We do better when not being talked about as much. Call it karma or whatever, but I really wish Herbie had not picked us to win the West. I'd rather not be talked about and fly under the radar.

Fuck thayutt.  We's gone win us a nayshunal champeenship and I don't give two farts in thuh wind who nose it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »
Every season is a special season at Auburn, what the hell are you guys talking about. I say 10 wins or mo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
I don't know, if its all the coke I have been doing, or the fact that it is finally here but I do think we are gonna have a special season.  I say no fewer than 10 wins and our defense is dominating.

Suck on that Snaggle!

Sometimes I'm the eternal optimist re Auburn Football.  Something nagging in me says that tomorrow night I'll see that Cam isn't going to be so great and that I will spend the rest of the season dreading each game.  Cam will make or break the season.  The defense WILL be improved, and we have a good O line, and weapons of offense, but Im just so worried that Cam won't be the ball distributor we need.  Not saying he'll flop, but just not be as advertised.  I hope with all my heart he is as advertised, but I'm worried. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
Sometimes I'm the eternal optimist re Auburn Football.  Something nagging in me says that tomorrow night I'll see that Cam isn't going to be so great and that I will spend the rest of the season dreading each game.  Cam will make or break the season.  The defense WILL be improved, and we have a good O line, and weapons of offense, but Im just so worried that Cam won't be the ball distributor we need.  Not saying he'll flop, but just not be as advertised.  I hope with all my heart he is as advertised, but I'm worried.

Fuck you Kaos

Seriously though, it depends on how much Cam has watched ESPN and read magazines. They need to tune that shit out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »

As I've said before, I don't think there's any doubt there will be some face-palm moments with Cam initially.  The other day in the practice/scrimmage, they must have run an hour of passing plays (against no defense). They appeared to be working a lot on his touch.  You just sat there mesmorized by the guys arm and how he could send a tight spiral 50+ yards with the flick of the wrist.  Then they lined up against the 1's and ran some plays.  His second pass was right to T'Sharvin Bell on a slant pattern.  Face Palm.

Then, he hits Quasmanian Carr in the corner of the endzone from 40 yards out with one of the most beautiful passes you'll ever see.  Boner.

Ultimately, I think the guy is going to be bad ass after a few rough spots.  JMHO.  He was a 5* QB for a reason and signed with one of the premier programs in the country for a reason too.  He wound up going JUCO and absolutely tore it up.  He's come in and gained the trust and respect of his team mates who have raved over not only his talent, but more importantly, his work ethic.  As I said, he was the last one to leave the practice field after running wind sprints on his own.  I honestly think the mistakes he does make will be magnified X10 because by now, this kid is expected to be bigger than life.  We expected Todd to go full on tard so when he did, we all just went, "Fucking Chris Todd".  Newton won't be afforded that luxury.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Fuck you Kaos

Same thing I was thinking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
As I've said before, I don't think there's any doubt there will be some face-palm moments with Cam initially.  The other day in the practice/scrimmage, they must have run an hour of passing plays (against no defense). They appeared to be working a lot on his touch.  You just sat there mesmorized by the guys arm and how he could send a tight spiral 50+ yards with the flick of the wrist.  Then they lined up against the 1's and ran some plays.  His second pass was right to T'Sharvin Bell on a slant pattern.  Face Palm.

Then, he hits Quasmanian Carr in the corner of the endzone from 40 yards out with one of the most beautiful passes you'll ever see.  Boner.

Ultimately, I think the guy is going to be bad ass after a few rough spots.  JMHO.  He was a 5* QB for a reason and signed with one of the premier programs in the country for a reason too.  He wound up going JUCO and absolutely tore it up.  He's come in and gained the trust and respect of his team mates who have raved over not only his talent, but more importantly, his work ethic.  As I said, he was the last one to leave the practice field after running wind sprints on his own.  I honestly think the mistakes he does make will be magnified X10 because by now, this kid is expected to be bigger than life.  We expected Todd to go full on tard so when he did, we all just went, "Fucking Chris Todd". Newton won't be afforded that luxury.
See Auburn v. LSU, 2009. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
See Auburn v. LSU, 2009.

Difference is he never got retard strong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »

Difference is he never got retard strong.
Fact.  Even Waddle Caudle looked better than him, and that's not saying much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
Fact.  Even Waddle Caudle looked better than him, and that's not saying much.

Well when you are trying to compare the effectiveness of bitch slaps it is relative.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »

Well when you are trying to compare the effectiveness of bitch slaps it is relative.
Todd could win a mean slap fight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
Todd could win a mean slap fight.

Well yeah.  His slaps got so much stronger after the surgery.  Prior to that...Pfffft..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
Well yeah.  His slaps got so much stronger after the surgery.  Prior to that...Pfffft..
Kodi Burns is our new starting punter.  The coaches tell him to line up and throw a ten yard pass.  60 yard punt every time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions