Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Astros take a page from bammer's book...

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Astros take a page from bammer's book...
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
When panic mode strikes, keep it in the family...

The Astros have turned to a team icon for help in addressing their dumbfounding collective ineptitude at the plate in their latest attempt at salvaging what remains of the season.

Jeff Bagwell, whose undisputed leadership, trademarked crouched stance and powerful bat propelled him to greatness in an Astros uniform over a 15-year career, was named the team's new hitting coach Sunday.

Bagwell, 42, replaces friend and former teammate Sean Berry, who was fired in his fifth season prior to the day’s 4-2 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.

“This is what I know; I know baseball,” Bagwell said. “Hopefully we’re going to find out in a couple of months that I know a little bit about hitting, too.”

Bagwell will begin his first coaching job – what amounts to a trial run – after the All-Star Break, his first workout Thursday night ahead of a three-game series at Pittsburgh.

“It’s a fortunate thing that (Astros general manager) Ed (Wade) has given me the opportunity to try this out basically for 2 ½ months to see how I feel about it and see how I like it,” Bagwell said. “It’s going to be an exciting time for me; it’s going to be something very different for me.”

Berry learned of the decision Sunday morning upon arriving to Minute Maid Park and left before the announcement was made. He has been offered an opportunity to work on the player-development side

Wade said Berry, 44, was a victim of circumstance.

"In 34 years in baseball, I think Sean was the best-prepared hitting coach I've been around, but I think the results speak for themselves," Wade said. "We need to figure this out, and saying that we need to figure it out isn't just at the front-office level; it's at the players level as well.

"We need to figure out whether guys actually have the ability to get better or not. We have players who are underperforming."

The Astros entered the All-Star Break as one of the worst-hitting teams in baseball and ranked at or near the bottom in every major offensive statistical category.

Lance Berkman said it was unfortunate that Berry had to take the fall for players' shortcomings.

"As a player you always feel responsible," Berkman said. "I haven't hit and Carlos (Lee) hasn't hit like he can and others haven't, and it's not Sean's fault.

"It's one of those things that when things aren't going well with the players, you have to shake something up and the most expendable pieces a lot of times are the coaching staff.

“It's unfortunate because Sean was very diligent, he worked very hard at what he was doing and the team's offensive struggles are in no way a reflection of his abilities as a hitting coach."

Efforts to reach Berry for comment were unsuccessful.

The Astros are left to hope Bagwell's arrival effects change.

"We know we can get better, but we also believe there are players here who should be better," Wade said. "Hopefully with a different voice in Jeff Bagwell, they'll recognize the measure of accountability that they have in the whole process."

Bagwell's credentials certainly will command attention and respect. He is the club's all-time leader in home runs (449), RBIs (1,529) and walks and is second in hits (2,314) and runs scored (1,517).

Bagwell's iconic career with the Astros included NL Rookie of the Year (1991) and MVP (1994) awards, four All-Star Games, three Silver Slugger awards and a Gold Glove.

He had served as a special assistant to the general manager since retiring in late 2006.

While saddened to see Berry let go, Berkman looked forward to having Bagwell around.

"If there's a silver lining, I'm excited about that," Berkman said. "Jeff has always been one of my mentors in the game."

Bagwell faces a tall task, but one thing is for sure: He will have the players' attention Thursday.

"He’s a legend here," outfielder Michael Bourn said. "Bagwell did a lot of damage here, so of course he knows how to hit.

"So I'm pretty sure he has some pointers he could point out to us, and he's probably been seeing some things from up top. So we'll see. We'll see what it does for us."

Berry was the fall guy for some shitty performances all damn year.  At this point in their career, Berkman and Lee should not be relying on a damn HITTING coach to make them better. 

Don't get me wrong - I love me some Baggy and I will be glad to see him back.  His batting stance was legend - shouldn't have worked, but it did.  My two cents worth is that they are bringing Baggy back to provide something else that is SORELY lacking in the locker room - some damn LEADERSHIP.  Bags and Biggio OWNED that team.  They held men accountable, they made sure people gave 100% and did their fucking jobs.  There is NO ONE on the team in that role right now, and to me, that is the single biggest reason for the massive downward slide since Biggio left.  NO GOLDAMN LEADERSHIP.  Baggy as coach may not be as effective as a player stepping up, but by golly someone has GOT TO... or else I am gonna go buy me a Pujols jersey and call it fucking happy. 

Hitting was not an issue today - Astros left ELEVEN men stranded losing to the fucking Cards 4-2.  Magic Wandy gave up a 3 run homer in the 4th... At least the kids can say they saw Albert Pujols play at their very first Astros game ever...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Astros take a page from bammer's book...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Or maybe your team is just a suckass franchise and has a stigma ala The Falcons, Indians, Cubs, Rangers, Bills, etc and they aren't gonna do shit no matter who is in the dugout....could this possibly be it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
Or maybe your team is just a suckass franchise and has a stigma ala The Falcons, Indians, Cubs, Rangers, Bills, etc and they aren't gonna do poop no matter who is in the dugout....could this possibly be it?

That's gonna leave an imprint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

That's gonna leave an imprint.

I hope she knows I'm just kidding/baiting/love tapping her.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
I hope she knows I'm just kidding/baiting/love tapping her.

Yeah, I was about to say, the Falcoons will at least win the NFC Championship this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »
Yeah, I was about to say, the Falcoons will at least win the NFC Championship this year.

Thrilla.....we need to talk about this. The Braves are expected to win every year because of their previous track record. Based on the Falcon's previous track record, they should be expected to go 7-9 every year on avg and win another NFC title in about 27 years. I did hand out some respect to them though when they ditched Vick and the other thugs and drafted Ryan. Classy move that I didn't expect the Falcons to make. Kudos. Kid is a great QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Thrilla

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
Thrilla.....we need to talk about this. The Braves are expected to win every year because of their previous track record. Based on the Falcon's previous track record, they should be expected to go 7-9 every year on avg and win another NFC title in about 27 years. I did hand out some respect to them though when they ditched Vick and the other thugs and drafted Ryan. Classy move that I didn't expect the Falcons to make. Kudos. Kid is a great QB.

I was 63% serious when I made that comment.

However, I agree with you regarding dumping Vick and picking up Ryan.  He is a leader who I suspect will improve upon his first year's stats after enduring the sophomore curse.  They resigned Norwood, and Turner has lost some weight since last year but should still be a bruiser.  I believe injuries kept them from being more successful last year, but that's the nature of the game...despite this, they still ranked around 10th-15th in the league in most offensive categories.  It's gotta get better this year, I don't see how it couldn't.  Bringing back Gonzalez is important as well...he can still do some damage even when double covered.  Their pass defense was ranked in the 20's last year, and it will be here where they make or break their season, imo.

:hijack:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
As if an Astros thread would go on for more than 3 posts.   :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Thrilla

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »
As if an Astros thread would go on for more than 3 posts.   :)

Sucktitude can only be expressed so many different ways.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
Sucktitude can only be expressed so many different ways.

It's like you can read my thoughts. You complete me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Thrilla

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
It's like you can read my thoughts. You complete me.

You + Me = Us
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
Oh go suck a nut, assholes.  I started this thread for myself and the one other Jeff Bagwell fan on here - even if he is a fucking redbird fan.  Go take your Falcon love (really?  you are admitting to that?  Get help now...) and peddle it elsewhere.

Yes - my team sucks ass in ways I cannot even beging to describe.  Words fails even me.  But if I can't vent to you fuckers, then who the hell can I vent to?  Everyone in this town feels just like I do, so it's just not cathartic.  

So fuck Uncle Drayton for not selling out to someone with some vision and a looser grip on the pocketbook, fuck the sorry attitudes and lack of leadership in the clubhouse, fuck Coca-Cola for forcing me to drink watered down Mr. Pibb instead of Dr. Pepper, fuck Brad Mills for just being the fucking manager, and fuck Carlos Lee's fat ass for not feeling guilty when he cashes a paycheck HE DID NOT FUCKING EARN.

Oh, and fuck Albert Pujols... but this one I mean in the most biblical of senses.   :idhitit:  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:45:50 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Make that two.  I always liked Bagwell, Biggio and Bell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Make that two.  I always liked Bagwell, Biggio and Bell. 
Thank you. 

The fortunes of this team are just so completely different when you compare "BBB" and "ABB" - the team just lost its identity when they left.  Pathetic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
Nah TW, you know I got nothing against your stros. Always like Bagwell and Biggio along with Ryan. Astros were always one of those teams I rooted for when not playing the Braves. It does suck they are in this position right now.

And just for the record (and YOU know this),  but I am no Falcons fan. I will let Thrilla defend his birds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Aubie16

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Oh go suck a nut, assholes.  I started this thread for myself and the one other Jeff Bagwell fan on here - even if he is a fucking redbird fan.  Go take your Falcon love (really?  you are admitting to that?  Get help now...) and peddle it elsewhere.

Braves > Astros
Falcons > Texans
Hawks > Rockets

:moon:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
Braves > Astros
Falcons > Texans
Hawks > Rockets

Except the Rockets do have a couple of titles though. How can you forget Hakeem the Dream!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
Braves > Astros
Falcons > Texans
Hawks > Rockets

Houston Traffic=Atlanta Traffic
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Except the Rockets do have a couple of titles though. How can you forget Hakeem the Dream!!

Yeah historically they are probably better. I was just going by current state of the franchise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

chinook

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
alan jackson > clint black
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions