Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

JR4AU

Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
No, that is mediocre coaching.  With their facilities, monopoly on DI competition in-state and access to mid-west recruiting areas, they have much more potential than Nutt fulfilled.

To sort of steal your previous theme....not according to most rational minded football fans I know.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Nutt was retained long past his viable shelf-life due to the protection of Broyles.

If you're saying that Arky should just shut up and accept it because they'll never be better, then we'll just have to disagree.

I think if I agreed with you about Ark's potential, I'd also agree with you about Nutt...I don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
No, that is mediocre coaching.  With their facilities, monopoly on DI competition in-state and access to mid-west recruiting areas, they have much more potential than Nutt fulfilled.
I think Nutt was the weakest link. We'll see what the future brings with Petrino. I see him as being very businesslike in his job. He ain't no dummy, either.
I can see us winning at least 5 conference games consistently with Petrino from this year on. He is the anti-Nutt. His teams will improve the longer he stays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »
I think Nutt was the weakest link. We'll see what the future brings with Petrino. I see him as being very businesslike in his job. He ain't no dummy, either.
I can see us winning at least 5 conference games consistently with Petrino from this year on. He is the anti-Nutt. His teams will improve the longer he stays.

Well, it would be my opinion that, since numbers mean nothing here to the Nutt haters, that Petrino would basically have to win an SEC title to better Nutt.  I'm here to be the first to take any bets from those that think that will happen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »
 Petrino hasn't lit up the SEC since taking over the job, and his recruiting seems to be worse.  

The Arky depth chart as it existed upon Petrino's arrival would make you vomit.

Petrino's been busy filling holes instead of chasing starz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

wesfau2

« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
I think if I agreed with you about Ark's potential, I'd also agree with you about Nutt...I don't.

Well, there ya go.  End of discussion.

I can't look at Nutt's numbers and call him anything better than mediocre on his finest day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
Well, it would be my opinion that, since numbers mean nothing here to the Nutt haters, that Petrino would basically have to win an SEC title to better Nutt.  I'm here to be the first to take any bets from those that think that will happen. 

If you give Petrino the same decade-long timetable, I'll take that bet. 

Bet is off if Petrino is gone before 10 years expire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
If you give Petrino the same decade-long timetable, I'll take that bet. 

Bet is off if Petrino is gone before 10 years expire.

I'll bet you that by his 5th season Petrino hasn't bettered Nutt's best SEC or season record at Ark, and that he has no more wins at Ark that Nutt has at Ole Miss.  I'm not sure what you think Ark's potential is, but I would hope you'd agree that since they're very comparable programs with regard to state size, etc, you do agree they have more potential than Ole Miss due to having the state basically all to themselves in Ark.  In theory, they should be better.  They won't be, I'll wager. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
I'll bet you that by his 5th season Petrino hasn't bettered Nutt's best SEC or season record at Ark, and that he has no more wins at Ark that Nutt has at Ole Miss.  I'm not sure what you think Ark's potential is, but I would hope you'd agree that since they're very comparable programs with regard to state size, etc, you do agree they have more potential than Ole Miss due to having the state basically all to themselves in Ark.  In theory, they should be better.  They won't be, I'll wager. 

Nice crawfish.

So, you're yanking your original wager off the table?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »
The Arky depth chart as it existed upon Petrino's arrival would make you vomit.

Petrino's been busy filling holes instead of chasing starz.

And Nutt inherited a talent laden Ark. team that had gone 8-14 the previous 2 seasons?  What about all that new staff and excitement jazz when I posted Nutt's record vs. the coaches he took over from?  You see how you can taylor the argument however you think it best fits your agenda?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Nice crawfish.

So, you're yanking your original wager off the table?

Nope, Petrino won't win the SEC within 10 years.  Just also making a bet with a quicker vesting time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
And Nutt inherited a talent laden Ark. team that had gone 8-14 the previous 2 seasons?  What about all that new staff and excitement jazz when I posted Nutt's record vs. the coaches he took over from?  You see how you can taylor the argument however you think it best fits your agenda?  

If you read it again, I was agreeing that Nutt's first two years at his new jobs result in better than normal results.  Then he gets back to his mediocre ways.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »
If you read it again, I was agreeing that Nutt's first two years at his new jobs result in better than normal results.  Then he gets back to his mediocre ways.

Ok, then how do you rationalize away his two trips to Atlanta with teams sporting 100% Nutt croots?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
Have to call it a day for the posting here.  Toodles, and enjoy the weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
Ok, then how do you rationalize away his two trips to Atlanta with teams sporting 100% Nutt croots?

Not rationalizing anything.

One of those trips to ATL was by default.  Nutt didn't "win" his way there.

He lived and died on one or two impact players.  He cannot construct a "team".

His tenure in F'ville was prolonged thanks to Matt Jones and then Darren McFadden.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
  Orville Henry: Loose ends about search for UA coach

BACKGROUND: Houston Nutt, the new Arkansas coach, explains that he transferred to OSU after the 1977 season, his second at Arkansas, so he could play more. So what does he say to the No. 2 or No. 3 Arkansas quarterback who decides he might disregard loyalty and take the same route for the same reason? What does he say if the athlete does transfer without telling his Arkansas coach, which is how he, Houston, did it?

Actually, there is more OSU Cowboy in Houston's background, playing and coaching, than there is Arkansas Razorback.

BUSINESS: There is nothing in this situation about Arkansas needing to do something for someone else. This is a business matter, simple and brutal. Arkansas needs a job done for its football program, immediately, professionally. To heck with friendships. Make enemies, if necessary, but acquire the man who has proved himself at this level, and win, and now. That has always been Arkansas' mode of operation. Hiring to try to sell tickets has proved to be a failure every time. Win, and Arkansas fans will respond.

Arkansas now has an array of quarterbacks, without which there is nothing, and running backs on campus with others available, and excellent prospects as linebackers. Those are the people you win with (although who can overlook linemen and defensive backs?)

We need a hired gun -- not people with youthful enthusiasm asked to see if they can make it at the highest level of their profession, from almost the lowest. As Joe Kines told us, the SEC is where, "They'll slit your throats and drink your blood." And that is true, we now know.

And that is why, when it became obvious a change would be made, I submitted in a column the name of Tommy Tuberville, the Ole Miss coach. This was done for one reason only. Of all the obvious candidates, only Tuberville had, was doing all the things, against the same SEC competition, that Arkansas desperately needed to top off a program thought to be on the rise. His Ole Miss teams looked like they'd been coached by Frank Broyles, Jimmy Johnson, et. al., in the good ole days.

Understand this: I don't really know Tuberville. I've talked to him, communicated with him only three times, which has been after the three Arkansas-Ole Miss games he's been involved in. Nothing but the game has ever been mentioned at those times. No friendship. No hero worship. Just knowledge that he was the man Arkansas needed to finish off what Danny Ford had started.

THE SITUATION: The people inside the Broyles building kept reminding writers, much-quoted players, etc., that Nutt had appeared early (with an entourage supplied from Little Rock) and proved how much he wanted the job, and how about that wonderful reception? (Well-orchestrated, of course).

The coaches who should have been 1-2-3 (Tuberville, Davis, the Tulane Bowden) not only could not travel to Fayetteville, they had to tell the people back home how little interest they had in the job. Boise State is not a job you worry about. Millions are at stake in the bigger positions. Nutt took no chances in visiting. The others would have.

FURIOUS: Also, my best wishes and congratulations to Houston Dale Nutt, whom I've watched from his days as a toddler. He is not to blame because he has this very exciting, demanding job. It is to his credit, and now he needs everyone's help. He knows that I have always been fair to the head coach and that I will be still.

I've covered the Arkansas football program since 1943, a long time. My readers know that, if no one else has, I have represented Arkansas fans from then until now. The program belongs to them. They need to be told when the program is being run properly, and when it is not. When people at the top mess up, I am furious.

I am furious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
Old Plantation or if you want mainstream, Sticky Fingers is not bad.  Both are in your town.  Choo Choo BBQ on Brainerd is also decent.

I had a minor addiction from years 2001-present on Old Plantation.  I worked near there and ate there almost every day.  It may be the only place I've never gotten tired of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
Ask 100 random people outside of the southeast if they know who Bear Bryant is. Then ask the same 100 people if they know who Bo Jackson is.

See who more people consider "iconic".

You can not be serious.  There's no possible way more people would think Bo Jackson, regardless of his college and pro careers, is more iconic than Bear Bryant.  No possible way and it's not even close.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
You can not be serious.  There's no possible way more people would think Bo Jackson, regardless of his college and pro careers, is more iconic than Bear Bryant.  No possible way and it's not even close.
Bammer Kool-Aide is a powerful drug.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=LwH&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22bear+bryant%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 231,000 results (half of which are from rollbamaroll and bleacherreport)

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=%22bear+bryant%22+icon&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=abb01c78b666a2d
About 436,000 results.

I'd say Bo is roughly twice as popular as the Bahr outside of the bammer bubble.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Bammer Kool-Aide is a powerful drug.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=LwH&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22bear+bryant%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 231,000 results (half of which are from rollbamaroll and bleacherreport)

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=%22bear+bryant%22+icon&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=abb01c78b666a2d
About 436,000 results.

I'd say Bo is roughly twice as popular as the Bahr outside of the bammer bubble.

That's gonna leave a mark. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions