Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

JR4AU

Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
Even our patsies are tough for non-SEC programs to handle.

In all groups there exists a hierarchy of sorts.  Vandy, MSU and OM are our weak sisters.

Vandy aside...Ole Miss, and MSU while not perennial SEC Champ caliber teams in this day and age are ALWAYS a threat to beat even the big boys...and both have more than once in recent years.  Every league needs a Vandy.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
Don't forget Kentucky. If we're counting the Mississippi Schools...

Yeah, I left them out because my paraphrased stat ($1 to woopig) never took into account UK. 

I've got a pretty good background in Nutt's suckitude from hanging with our porcine friens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

boartitz

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
Over a 10 year span at Ark, Nutt was hovering at .500 in conference games.  Subtract Vandy and the Miss schools and his winning percentage is in the .300s.
The two games that we played Vandy in Nutt's tenure, we won one game by two points and lost the other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »
The two games that we played Vandy in Nutt's tenure, we won one game by two points and lost the other.

I know I always defend coaches.  I know and understand why Ark. folks despise Nutt despite his record, but I'm going to say and ask this anyway.  How does Nutt's record compare to other coaches in Ark. modern history, or for that matter their entire history.  He had a 10 win season, three 9 win seasons, and a trip to Atlanta.  Ark. hasn't been a national championship threat in my memory.  Granted they weren't an SEC team until nearly 20 years ago...relatively recently.  Nutt has now produced back to back 9-4 seasons at Ole Miss.   Going back he had back to back 11 win seasons at Murray State.  When it's all said and done, the football world will count Nutt as a pretty damned fine football coach IMHO.  Make fun of his mannerisms if you will, or select a game here and there if that's how you want to define him, but he's pretty damn good.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
I know I always defend coaches.  I know and understand why Ark. folks despise Nutt despite his record, but I'm going to say and ask this anyway.  How does Nutt's record compare to other coaches in Ark. modern history, or for that matter their entire history.  He had a 10 win season, three 9 win seasons, and a trip to Atlanta.  Ark. hasn't been a national championship threat in my memory.  Granted they weren't an SEC team until nearly 20 years ago...relatively recently.  Nutt has now produced back to back 9-4 seasons at Ole Miss.   Going back he had back to back 11 win seasons at Murray State.  When it's all said and done, the football world will count Nutt as a pretty damned fine football coach IMHO.  Make fun of his mannerisms if you will, or select a game here and there if that's how you want to define him, but he's pretty damn good.   

He inherited a talent-rich team at Arky and slowly depleted it through awful recruiting.

He inherited a talent-rich team at OM and is rapidly depleting it through even worse recruiting.

The man is by no stretch of anyone's (objective) reasoning a "pretty damn good" corch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
He inherited a talent-rich team at Arky and slowly depleted it through awful recruiting.

He inherited a talent-rich team at OM and is rapidly depleting it through even worse recruiting.

The man is by no stretch of anyone's (objective) reasoning a "pretty damn good" corch.

I know plenty of objective folks that think he's a good coach.  Not great, but good.  He had two nine win seasons at Ark in his 5th and 6th seasons at Ark, and won the west in his 9th season with a 10-4 record.  Hardly belies depleating the talent with his poor recruiting.  He's only going in to year 3 at Ole Miss, and I'd have to say the jury would still be out on the recruiting there, and "talent-rich" at either school is something that is relative.  One must take in to account the fact this is ARKAN-FUCKIN'-SAS!  Other than Broyles record in the late 50s-early 60s, a different era of college football, Nutt's record at Ark is strong.  But you're entitled to your opinion.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
I know plenty of objective folks that think he's a good coach.  Not great, but good.  He had two nine win seasons at Ark in his 5th and 6th seasons at Ark, and won the west in his 9th season with a 10-4 record.  Hardly belies depleating the talent with his poor recruiting.  He's only going in to year 3 at Ole Miss, and I'd have to say the jury would still be out on the recruiting there, and "talent-rich" at either school is something that is relative.  One must take in to account the fact this is ARKAN-FUCKIN'-SAS!  Other than Broyles record in the late 50s-early 60s, a different era of college football, Nutt's record at Ark is strong.  But you're entitled to your opinion.  

Arky wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a talent rich team when Nutt took over.  They may have had a winning season or 2 in the previous 10 years, but they sucked balls before Houston Nutt.  

Arky fans hate Nutt for the same reason that Ole Miss fans hated Tuberville.  He left them for another school in their conference.  Nutt wasn't bad at Arkansas.  And it's not like Arkansas is that much better than the Mississippi schools.  What exactly have they accomplished in the SEC?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:05:38 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
Arky wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a talent rich team when Nutt took over.  They may have had a winning season or 2 in the previous 10 years, but they sucked balls before Houston Nutt. 

I can only go back to 2002 on Rivals, but Ark's classes were ranked between 24th and 31st from 2002-2007.  The lowest ranked class came in 2008 at 36th (not fully his class because Nutt left at the end of the 2007 regular season.)  His first 2 classes at Ole Miss ranked 29th and  15th.  Again, we're talking about rankings of teams such as Ole Miss and Ark.  I have to agree too...I can't go back and look at the names Nutt inherited...he inherited a team coming off back to back 4-7 seasons at Ark from Danny Ford.   None of the evidence I see indicates he inherited anything but shit, or recruited poorly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
He's been doing better at "one of the Mississippi schools" than we have (or Arkansas has) these last two years.

Just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
He's been doing better at "one of the Mississippi schools" than we have (or Arkansas has) these last two years.

Just sayin.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
Don't forget Kentucky. If we're counting the Mississippi Schools...
The same Kentucky that beat AU last season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

boartitz

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »

Just sayin.
With someone else's players.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »
Here's some pretty good info about our mediocre program. I think Hurtt did a helluva job researching and putting this together.
http://woopig.net/board/index.php?topic=67244.0
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »

Geez, when you're looking for a reason, any will do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »

We're speaking overalls.  Kentucky is 6-24 against AU.  

Speaking in overalls, Kentucky is indeed in the same category at the Mississippi schools, Vandy, South Carolina and Arkansas.  

Lower tier.

And by someone else, you mean Ed Orgeron.  What an esteemed coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Here's some pretty good info about our mediocre program. I think Hurtt did a helluva job researching and putting this together.
http://woopig.net/board/index.php?topic=67244.0

Research, conspiracy theories, history of Southwest conference aside.  Here are hard facts.....

Arky against SEC since '92

Before Nutt
18-30-1    .367

With Nutt
42-20   .512

After Nutt
5-11   .312

Maybe Nutt wasn't a "great" coach, but compared to the others.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
Yes. I'm saying they're comparable to the MSU that beat Alabama two years in a row in 06 & 07.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Yes. I'm saying they're comparable to the MSU that beat Alabama two years in a row in 06 & 07.

How do they compare to La Monroe and Utah?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »

I'm filing a petition to have moderating capabilities over my fellow Alabama brethren.  I mean, I tried to counter the weak smack attempt with Kentucky's 6-24 record against Auburn, but it wasn't enough.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
Research, conspiracy theories, history of Southwest conference aside.  Here are hard facts.....

Arky against SEC since '92

Before Nutt
18-30-1    .367

With Nutt
42-20   .512

After Nutt
5-11   .312

Maybe Nutt wasn't a "great" coach, but compared to the others.....
I look for the .312 to grow.
Nutt wouldn't have won that many games in the last 2 years if he would have stayed.
Bama's record in the 10 years before saban were stellar, right. We have a coach now who is about as far removed from Nutt as Saban is from shula, etc., etc. whoever your last few coaches were.
More Hurtt on Nutt.
http://www.breastfedmoonshine.com/home/2009/08/28/ten-great-myths-9-houston-nutt-did-%E2%80%9Cmore-with-less%E2%80%9D-and-took-the-program-to-a-higher-level/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions