Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Would You Accept the 2004 National Championship?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Would You Accept the 2004 National Championship?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
My $0.02?

I think claiming the AP under circumstances such as this, when you were #2 and #1 just forfeited their season, and you were the only team from a major conference left undefeated, is a world apart from claiming the NC in a year when you were 20th in the polls, didn't win the SEC West and lost your bowl game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
My $0.02?

I think claiming the AP under circumstances such as this, when you were #2 and #1 just forfeited their season, and you were the only team from a major conference left undefeated, is a world apart from claiming the NC in a year when you were 20th in the polls, didn't win the SEC West and lost your bowl game.

Boom goes the dynamite.

+ 1 to the Chizad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Birmingham

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
I love what's happening here.  Auburn fans are saying "NO, We in NO WAY want to claim the 2004 National Championship.  Nope, NO WAY.  They can shove that BCS trophy.  But... well,  maybe we can just claim it a little bit."  You are all hilarious and as predictable as masturbating zoo monkeys.  They can shove that crystal ball.... I'd take the AP in a heart beat.  Hilarious.

Here's some free advice and you should listen to it.  Make up your phuking mind.  You don't get to say you don't consider yourself the 2004 NC while in the same breath say you'd gladly take a lesser poll considering you the 2004 champs.  Pick a phuking side.  Either start referring to your 2004 team as the National Champions for now on, regardless of what ends up happening with the BCS or AP, or refrain from wanting only one of the two to consider you the champs.  You may take a beating from Bama fans for a couple years if you claim it but it doesn't matter, most of the country thinks Auburn was the 2nd best team that year anyway, and that's including Bama fans.  Truth be told if you phuks hadn't given Bama so much poop for the last 30 years about this very thing than this wouldn't even be an issue.  This is about your pride and that's all its about.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:00:50 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
 This is about your pride and that's all its about.

Um, considering your run of fucking dumbass posts here, the fact that you make a habit of it with no intention of stopping, you talkng about anybody else's pride is fucking laughable.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
I love what's happening here.  Auburn fans are saying "NO, We in NO WAY want to claim the 2004 National Championship.  Nope, NO WAY.  They can shove that BCS trophy.  But... well,  maybe we can just claim it a little bit."  You are all hilarious and as predictable as masturbating zoo monkeys.  They can shove that crystal ball.... I'd take the AP in a heart beat.  Hilarious.

Here's some free advice and you should listen to it.  Make up your phuking mind.  You don't get to say you don't consider yourself the 2004 NC while in the same breath say you'd gladly take a lesser poll considering you the 2004 champs.  Pick a phuking side.  Either start referring to your 2004 team as the National Champions for now on, regardless of what ends up happening with the BCS or AP, or refrain from wanting only one of the two to consider you the champs.  You may take a beating from Bama fans for a couple years if you claim it but it doesn't matter, most of the country thinks Auburn was the 2nd best team that year anyway, and that's including Bama fans.  Truth be told if you phuks hadn't given Bama so much poop for the last 30 years about this very thing than this wouldn't even be an issue.  This is about your pride and that's all its about.
"Lesser" to who? USC still claims the AP, the year Saybun won the BCS in 2003. It's now their only legitimate championship.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »

Fuck being the second best team that year. I will never admit to anyone that Auburn would have lost a game no matter what collegiate team was put in front of them...

However, I agree with the rest of your post...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
"Lesser" to who?

In no way, on no planet, is the AP poll not a lesser poll than the BCS poll.  The fact that you picked this out of that whole post clearly shows you're grasping at straws.  Just pick one, Chizad.  Claim it or don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
In no way, on no planet, is the AP poll not a lesser poll than the BCS poll.  The fact that you picked this out of that whole post clearly shows you're grasping at straws.  Just pick one, Chizad.  Claim it or don't.
Winning the AP, which is not necessarily proven "on the field", when we finished #2, and #1 just forfeited their season, makes complete sense.

Claiming the BCS, when we didn't win the BCS game, or for that matter even get to play in it, doesn't make sense. It would be bammerish to do so, which explains why you don't see a difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
Winning the AP, which is not necessarily proven "on the field", when we finished #2, and #1 just forfeited their season, makes complete sense.

Claiming the BCS, when we didn't win the BCS game, or for that matter even get to play in it, doesn't make sense. It would be bammerish to do so, which explains why you don't see a difference.

Pick one or the other, chizad.  Are you the National Champs or aren't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
Was USC the national champs in 2003?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »

Ok, well is USC the NC from 2003? or arent they?

Different polls Nimrod. Chad is right. The AP is decided by a vote. The BCS is decided on the field. He makes perfect sense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Birmingham

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »
Ok, well is USC the NC from 2003? or arent they?

Different polls Nimrod. Chad is right. The AP is decided by a vote. The BCS is decided on the field. He makes perfect sense.

The answer to both of you is no.  Now for my question to both of you.  Are you or aren't you National Champions?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
The answer to both of you is no.  Now for my question to both of you.  Are you or aren't you National Champions?
Then to you, no.

To the rest of the college football world, who recognizes the AP as a legitimate poll, yes.

Try explaining your theory to the Gameday crew back in 2004 & 2005, when they were constantly described as the greatest college football dynasty of all time.

Turns out they have zero national championships to show for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »

Who won the national championship in '73 and '78?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »
Was USC the national champs in 2003?
LSU.

The final BCS rankings come out before the NC game. This decides who goes to the NC game. It goes without saying that this game decides the champion. The way this works is the BCS game decides the champion, NOT the AP AFTER the game is played. Oklahoma was #1, and LSU was #2. LSU beat #1, thus winning the BCS National Championship. After that championship game, nothing matters. BCS doesn't rank shit after that, because it has already given you the two best teams, and is predetermined that the winner will be considered the best team, thus, the champion. And when it comes to championships, in the current setup, what BCS says goes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
Now my .02

I don't want to claim a NC by forfeit or wear the t-shirt or march in a parade.  I prefer to win it on the field and have the orange and blue confetti raining down. No questions.  Now having said that, I'm older than many of you and grew up with the polls, which many times crowned different National Champions in the same year.  The BCS is a relatively new concept in college football and both the polls and the BCS are flawed to hell and back.  I've witnessed numerous injustices from 83' and Auburn getting bent over to 85' and BYU beating a 6-5 Meechegan team for the NC to 04' with Auburn going undefeated and having a much stronger SOS than the 2 that played for it. Whatever.

If the AP decides to re-vote and name AU #1, so be it.  It'd be nice but still a hollow victory.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »
I would officially like to change my answer from "No, Oklahoma......" to "I don't really give a fuck".

Thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5272615

The NCAA handed the University of Southern California a two-year postseason football ban and vacated wins in Reggie Bush's final season, among other penalties, for violations in its football, men's basketball and women's tennis programs on Thursday.

The university was put on four years' probation, while the football program was hit with a two-year postseason ban and the men's basketball team was banned for one year from the postseason, which had already been self-imposed by the school.

USC was hit with scholarship reductions in football and basketball and recruiting restrictions for the men's basketball team.

The school was fined $5,000 and forfeits its $206,200 it earned from the 2008 men's basketball tournament.

In addition the university must vacate some regular-season and postseason wins in all three involved sports.

The NCAA said its findings included "a lack of institutional control, impermissible inducements, extra benefits, exceeding coach staff limits, and unethical conduct by an assistant football coach."

The violations, which span almost four years, primarily involved "agent and amateurism issues for a former football student-athlete and a former men's basketball studen-athlete," the NCAA wrote in its report.

Last year, the NCAA bundled its Bush investigation with its look into the men's basketball program. USC imposed its own sanctions on the basketball program four months ago over its recruitment of former player O.J. Mayo by former coach Tim Floyd. Floyd was accused of giving cash to a middleman who helped steer Mayo to USC.

In their football investigation, the NCAA and investigators from the Pac-10 Conference tried to determine whether Bush and his parents took improper benefits, including an alleged rent-free residence provided by a sports marketer. Bush has not met with NCAA and Pac-10 investigators and has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

"I have a great love for the University of Southern California and I very much regret the turn that this matter has taken, not only for USC, but for the fans and players," Bush said in a statement.

"I am disappointed by [Thursday's] decision and disagree with the NCAA's findings. If the University decides to appeal, I will continue to cooperate with the NCAA and USC, as I did during the investigation. In the meantime, I will continue to focus on making a positive impact for the University and for the community where I live," Bush said.

The women's tennis violation involved a former student athlete using an athletics department long-distance access call to make 123 unauthorized calls to her family. The total value of the calls was more than $7,000, the NCAA said.

The football team must vacate all wins in which Bush played while ineligible, starting in December 2004. The NCAA accepted USC's self-imposed penalty of vacating all wins in which Mayo competed during the 2007-08 season.

The women's tennis program must vacate all wins in which the ineligible player competed between November 2006 and May 2009 -- a penalty which was self-imposed by USC.

USC already admitted wrongdoing with the basketball program and sanctioned itself, including a ban on postseason participation, a reduction of scholarships and vacating all of its wins from 2007-08.

USC chose to contest the allegation against the football program.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
LSU.

The final BCS rankings come out before the NC game. This decides who goes to the NC game. It goes without saying that this game decides the champion. The way this works is the BCS game decides the champion, NOT the AP AFTER the game is played. Oklahoma was #1, and LSU was #2. LSU beat #1, thus winning the BCS National Championship. After that championship game, nothing matters. BCS doesn't rank shit after that, because it has already given you the two best teams, and is predetermined that the winner will be considered the best team, thus, the champion. And when it comes to championships, in the current setup, what BCS says goes.

BCS is one poll...they decide theirs, the AP decides theirs.  Technically it's the BCS Championship, not the BCS National Championship.  BCS is a poll, period, then end.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions